Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Anthony Boyd Apprentice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anthony Boyd Apprentice
    Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 10:36am

Boyd's belated Christmas gift

Anthony Boyd aboard Dubai King

Anthony Boyd returns to scale victorious on Dubai King

Santa Claus may have left his run a little bit late, but mature age apprentice Anthony Boyd certainly isn’t complaining.

The 29-year-old first-year apprentice received a belated Christmas present from Old Saint Nick on Monday morning, which arrived in the form of a phone call from Flemington trainer Tommy Hughes.

Hughes was hoping to engage a three-kilogram claiming apprentice to partner his promising pair Gold Cufflinks and Mister Miyagi at William Hill Park (Sandown) on Wednesday.

It took Boyd less than a millisecond to accept the opportunity.

The Hughes-trained pair will provide the young rider the chance to achieve a life-long dream and make his metropolitan race riding debut. 

Few apprentices have taken as dramatic a path to success as Boyd. 

“Two years ago, if you had told me I’d be riding at Sandown I would have laughed,” he said.  

“I was 78 kilograms, a track rider and basically raising two kids on a track riders wage, so things were pretty tough.

“I’d have never dreamt of having my first ride at Sandown a couple of years down the track - I thought that opportunity had well-and-truly passed me by.”

A swift reality check courtesy of a home video — coupled with the constant support of his wife, and his employer, trainer Danny O’Brien — inspired the father of two to lose a bit of weight.

That bit turned into a lot, and within a matter of months, Boyd stripped down to a lean 52 kilograms. His transformation reinvigorated his life and career.

On Wednesday Boyd will make his metropolitan debut alongside the likes of Damien Oliver, Dwayne Dunn and Mark Zahra, and said his decade-long stint as a track rider had prepared him for what otherwise would have been an overwhelming occasion.

“It’ll be great. Just to ride work with them was a big thing, and I’ve always had a lot of respect for them,” he said. 

“I’ve ridden with them for the past 10 years at Flemington and have built some really good relationships over that time.

“That being said, I’ve ben riding competitively against most senior jockeys around (since making my Victorian debut in March) and feel comfortable going to town. To improve you need to ride against the best and I feel prepared for it.” 

As for his mission on Wednesday, Boyd will walk into the jockeys’ rooms with an air of confidence.

Mister Miyagi put in a much-improved effort at William Hill Park (Lakeside) last-time out and Gold Cufflinks, though drawn wide, will improve second-up from a freshen-up.

However Boyd has one clear goal for his first race ride.

“The main aim there will be to beat the master’s horse home if I can, Skulduggery,” Boyd said with a laugh.

“His horse goes well, but from barrier one it looks like I should get an ideal run on Mister Miyagi and hopefully I’ll be finishing over the top of them.”

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 10:37am

Apprentice Boyd fighting suspension

• 16 June, 2015
  • |Tom Biddington 

Anthony Boyd aboard Dubai King

Anthony Boyd aboard Dubai King (Image courtesy of Slickpix)

Apprentice Anthony Boyd is appealing against a suspension he received at Echuca on Monday for ‘excessively reducing the speed’.

Boyd was given a 10-meeting stint on the sidelines for his winning ride on Dubai King in the ninth race and he has lodged an appeal against the decision and severity of the penalty.

He originally pleaded guilty to the charge, but he has applied to amend his plea to ‘not guilty’.

The appeal will be heard by the Racing Appeals and Disciplinary Board at 10.15am on Friday, June 19.

His penalty starts at midnight on Tuesday but a stay of proceedings was not required.

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 10:38am

Third-time lucky as apprentice Anthony Boyd chases career in saddle

• MICHAEL MANLEY
  • HERALD SUN
  • JUNE 04, 2015 8:00PM

Jockey Anthony Boyd returns to scale after winning aboard Smokin Hoaks at Ballarat. Pictu

Jockey Anthony Boyd returns to scale after winning aboard Smokin Hoaks at Ballarat. Picture: Mark Dadswell

ANTHONY Boyd is the odd rider out in the first-year intake of Victorian apprentices.

Boyd, 28, married and a ­father of three, has had to overcome a lack of self-belief, weight problems, a battle with depression and doors being shut in his face to pursue his childhood dream.

He has also had two previous careers as a jockey — one as a picnic rider and another as an apprentice in NSW.

Boyd started his third incarnation almost three months ago and since then he’s ridden 14 winners including success in the Tatura Cup.

He’s ridden three winners this week at Ballarat and Hamilton and has 14 rides over the three-day Swan Hill carnival, which kicks off on Friday.

Boyd, who decided he wanted to be a jockey when he was eight, is the nephew of successful country jockey John Hunter and his stepfather, Neil Boyd, was a pre-trainer and breaker at Ballarat.

Apprentice jockey Anthony Boyd when he was 77kg and now at 52kg.

Apprentice jockey Anthony Boyd when he was 77kg and now at 52kg.

Boyd began track riding at Ballarat aged 12 and wanted to become a jockey but was told by several trainers that he was too big.

He left Ballarat and joined trainer Ricky Maund at Phillip Island when he was 18 and took out a licence as a picnic meeting jockey, riding on the circuit for five years and notching 30 winners before giving it away.

Boyd was also riding trackwork for trainer Danny O’Brien but, when his weight ballooned to 78kg, he had to stop.

“I was in a bad spot. After seeing how big I was I went on a health kick and my weight dropped to 58 kilos,” Boyd said.

Supporting his family as a trackwork jockey was difficult so, with the support of O’Brien, Boyd decided to become an ­apprentice.

He missed the 2014 application window but was able to start his apprenticeship in southern NSW and he joined the Wagga stables of Wayne Carroll.

But he was on the road all the time, and Carroll eventually terminated his apprenticeship.

Boyd moved back to Melbourne and rejoined O’Brien’s operation, and after a six-month wait, he joined the Racing Victoria apprentice intake.

“I can’t thank Danny enough for his support. Also James Winks has been a great mentor to me,” Boyd said.

“My riding’s still a bit untidy but I’m improving.

“I picked up some bad habits at the picnic meetings which I’m getting rid of.”

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 10:39am

Determined Boyd books racetrack return

Racing Victoria first year apprentice, Anthony Boyd

Few jockeys can boast the dogged determination of mature-age apprentice Anthony Boyd.

The 28-year-old has harboured dreams of a career in the saddle for as long as he can remember, having been introduced to the caper by his uncle, John Hunter, also a successful jockey.

In a sadly all-too-familiar tale, there was just one thing standing in his way: weight.

“I always wanted to be a jockey, but ever since I was a kid I was told I was going to be too heavy and too tall,” Boyd said.

A natural horseman, Boyd consigned himself to a career as a track rider for trainer Danny O’Brien, working on a number of the Flemington trainer’s stable stars during the week and race riding on the Victorian picnic scene when time permitted.

However the arrival of his first child, Chase, saw Boyd focus his full attention on his growing family.

During that time away from the track, Boyd “blew out” to a size where he was no longer able to ride competitively.

“I was on the couch one night, watching a video my wife took of me with the kids in the pool and was absolutely blown away by how fat I was,” he said.

“I actually got out to 77 kilograms, I could hardly recognise myself. I started to lose a bit of weight, just for health reasons, and eventually got down to 60 kilograms. At that point I realised it was my opportunity to really have a go at the professionals (riding ranks).”

Boyd took the opportunity with both hands, re-locating to New South Wales where he began an apprenticeship with Wagga-based trainer Noel Carrol.

With his weight back under control, Boyd began his career as a professional jockey with a bang, securing a winner for Victorian-trainer Brian Cox in his first day at the track.

However after a number of months, Boyd decided to move home to Victoria.

“Having a wife and two kids that far away from our family was quite a struggle,” he said.

“I’d never lived away from Victoria myself and was a bit homesick. Also, most of my rides were coming from Victorian trainers. My heart was always set on being a Victorian jockey, so with that in mind, we decided to return home at try our luck in the home-state.”

Boyd returned to Victoria and joined Racing Victoria’s Apprentice Jockey Training Program (AJTP) as a first-year apprentice in January, 2015.

The 28-year-old admitted going back to school was a daunting challenge, but that it was the best thing he has done for his career.

“It’s amazing the opportunity we’re given here in Victoria through the (AJTP) program,” he said.

“Not only do we have great quality coaches, but to doing the personal training side of things I find incredibly valuable for now and later on down the track.”

Boyd will make his return to professional race riding on Saturday at Werribee, where he was been given a ride by his employer, Danny O’Brien and fellow Flemington-trainer, Mark Kavanagh.

And while he will no doubt be angling to return a winner, Boyd said he was just happy to be given the opportunity to resume chasing a dream he’d had since he was a child.

“I couldn’t wipe the grin off my face when I got the call telling me I had got a ride,” he said.

“To be given an opportunity by people like Mark Kavanagh and Danny O’Brien is just amazing, I’m really grateful for the chance they’ve given me and to be finally getting back to the races.”

By Daniel Miles - @DanielMiles90

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 10:41am

Dream comes true for Wagga's newest apprentice

By 

• HAPPY DAYS: Wagga apprentice jockey Anthony Boyd at home yesterday with wife Sam and sons Braxton, 14 months, and Chase, 3, as he prepares for his first professional race ride at Albury tomorrow. Picture: Les Smith
HAPPY DAYS: Wagga apprentice jockey Anthony Boyd at home yesterday with wife Sam and sons Braxton, 14 months, and Chase, 3, as he prepares for his first professional race ride at Albury tomorrow. Picture: Les Smith

A LIFELONG dream will come true for Wagga-based apprentice Anthony Boyd when he is legged aboard for his first professional race ride at Albury tomorrow.

Turned away from his home state of Victoria, Boyd has dropped 26 kilograms and packed up his family for a move interstate all in a bid to chase his dream of becoming a fully-fledged jockey.

Boyd left his job with top Melbourne trainer Danny O'Brien six weeks ago to link with Wayne Carroll at Wagga to get the opportunity to take up an apprenticeship.

Boyd, 27, swapped riding the likes of Cox Plate winner Shamus Award for country life and it is a risk that is set to pay off when he jumps in the saddle at Albury tomorrow.

"It's been a massive move and it was a massive gamble to take," Boyd said yesterday.

"I've been working in the racing industry since I was a kid, I first sat on a racehorse when I was six months old, my grandfather was a trainer, my uncle was a jockey and my stepfather was a trainer.

"I always had the desire to be a professional race rider but I never had the belief in myself until now."

Boyd took up riding as an amateur in the picnic circuit in Victoria where he enjoyed 300 race rides but gave that away when his first child arrived almost three years ago.

During that time, Boyd "blew out" to 77 kilograms before he decided to get serious about a life in the saddle.

"I thought I had blown any hope of becoming a professional, I thought it had passed me by," Boyd said.

"It's only when I sat down and thought that if I want to create a future for my kids, it's time to have a decent crack and get an apprenticeship."

O'Brien told Boyd if he got his weight down then he would apprentice him at Flemington and it all looked set to take place until Racing Victoria denied his application for this year's intake.

"I was told by Victorian racing that they couldn't include me in the 2014 apprentice intake so I will have to sit on the sidelines until 2015," Boyd said.

"We went to battle with them on that given I was 27 and had 300 amateur race rides...but I pretty much had the door closed in my face.

"I was literally forced out of my home state.

"I was given an opportunity by Wayne to come here and he helped move my family and has done everything possible to get my apprenticeship set up.

"He's been a massive help."

Six weeks into his apprenticeship in Wagga and Boyd is now 51 kilograms and cannot wait for his rides on Jo Jo Girl and Karawatha at Albury tomorrow.

"When I got the all clear this week and got told I'm allowed to ride on Friday I could have cried," Boyd said.

"I knew the day would come, I just had to belief in myself and I've been able to pull it off.

"I love it here, me and my wife are from the country so we're loving the area and the weather.

"Andy Bloomfield has helped me a lot and I've also got a lot of support from Tim Donnelly.

"Now at my weight, the world is my oyster."

Carroll said Boyd has been a wonderful addition to his stable.

"He's brought a lot of fresh ideas to the stable," Carroll said.

"A lot of different ideas from the way a lot of the city horses are trained and you're always learning in this game.

"It's been really helpful having two good jockeys in Andy and Anthony to ride trackwork together, it's made a big difference."

Given his experience, Boyd will start tomorrow with a two kilogram claim.

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 3:34pm
deejays destiny View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deejays destiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 2:35pm
Incompetent with a capital I

Far out

His ride on Rising Stock just then was diabolical

Ermm
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by deejays destiny deejays destiny wrote:

Incompetent with a capital I

Far out

His ride on Rising Stock just then was diabolical

Ermm

Tactically it was certainly very poor.

reductio ad absurdum
doubledown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doubledown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 4:29pm
Not knocking the bloke but clear example of not knowing how to rate the speed.

Slow as possible does not equal best for your horse...
@underthewhip
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 4:45pm
I'm a big rap for the guy but gee, I reckon even he'll regard it as the worst ride of his life Disapprove You knew he hadn't a clue when about 4 made a quick move to speed up & I'm sure his mount's looking for 2000m so why not set a strong pace & make them work, especially at Donald? Confused
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2016 at 3:09pm
Apprentice Anthony Boyd is expecting to be on the sidelines for a further two months as he recovers from a freak accident at Pakenham recently.

Boyd suffered bleeding and bruising in his lower back and sprained the coccyx bone at the bottom of his spine after slipping while getting out of the spa in the jockey’s room two weeks ago.

The 29-year-old was assessed by Racing Victoria's Medical Officer Dr Gary Zimmerman on Monday, who felt Boyd needed a further three weeks rest before he can start physiotherapy treatment.

"There is still plenty of pain and I've got to get through that period, which could take up to three weeks, before I can get treatment to help get back riding again," Boyd said.

"From there, it will probably be another five weeks of physio before I am ready.

"There is a fair bit of bruising and some clots have developed due to the internal bleeding.

"It is extremely frustrating to be on the sidelines for something like this, given it didn't even happen on the racetrack.

"It is hard to sit back and watch horses win that I've been putting the work in to recently."

crooked_gambler View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 12:57pm
AUGUST 16 2018 - 12:00PM
Jockey critical after trackwork fall in Ballarat

A BALLARAT-based jockey is in a critical condition with head injuries after a fall during trackwork at Ballarat this morning.

Jockey Anthony Boyd has been airlifted to Melbourne following a fall just before 9am.

Early reports indicate Boyd was riding a horse when it stumbled and dislodged him before falling on top of him.

It is understood Boyd was in an induced coma when loaded into a helicopter at Ballarat racecourse at approximately 10:30am.

Victorian Jockeys' Association chief executive Matt Hyland said the 31-year-old was placed in an induced coma before being airlifted to the Alfred Hospital.

Boyd, a 2kg-claiming apprentice, works with the Matt Cumani stable. He only returned to race riding late last month following a lengthy lay-off due to a wrist injury.

An Ambulance Victoria spokesperson confirmed a man had been airlifted to The Alfred Hospital in a critical condition after an incident at Ballarat this morning

thecourier.com.au
This space has been intentionally left blank
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 10:42am
From Twitter, - Lucinda Doodt 

reductio ad absurdum
adolphus twirk View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote adolphus twirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 10:36pm
If anyone deserves a group one win it is this bloke
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 2:10pm
Anthony Boyd
5 mins ·

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all there calls and messages etc it means the world to know how much support I have out there in this tough time! A quick update on my condition I’m currently waiting on MRI results to come back but over the past 24hours I have had a number of minor seizures the Doctors and neurosurgeon’s are doing there best to get to the bottom of it all!
I would also like to say a massive thanks to everyone who is supporting and helping Lucy at this time I don’t know what I would do without her she has been amazing 😊😍
And a special thanks to Dennis Foley and Gary Jones for the flowers I really appreciate it.

Post Reply Post Reply