Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Peter & Paul Snowden

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 9:00am
Originally posted by JudgeHolden JudgeHolden wrote:

Butes potentially nasty stuff. And can only be used with the aim of enhancing performance, which it undoubtedly does. They’ll get a slap on the wrist, even though they’ve been busted for bute before.

Cobalt however, with no performance demonstrated enhancing capacity, which naturally occurs in feed and supplements and in its B12 form is completely harmless, gets a mandatory 3 year stint. Bizarre.

This isn't true, Judge. Bute won't enhance performance. It will help remove performance limiters.

Cobalt on the other hand - while admittedly in the early stages of understanding - is quite clearly a performance enhance like any other blood doping agent. It enhances athletic performance.

In addition, Bute is one of the most used legal medications in a racing stable. Cobalt is not allowed full stop.
Sunline...simply supreme
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 9:17am
Originally posted by Sunline Sunline wrote:

Originally posted by JudgeHolden JudgeHolden wrote:

Butes potentially nasty stuff. And can only be used with the aim of enhancing performance, which it undoubtedly does. They’ll get a slap on the wrist, even though they’ve been busted for bute before.

Cobalt however, with no performance demonstrated enhancing capacity, which naturally occurs in feed and supplements and in its B12 form is completely harmless, gets a mandatory 3 year stint. Bizarre.

This isn't true, Judge. Bute won't enhance performance. It will help remove performance limiters.

Cobalt on the other hand - while admittedly in the early stages of understanding - is quite clearly a performance enhance like any other blood doping agent. It enhances athletic performance.

In addition, Bute is one of the most used legal medications in a racing stable. Cobalt is not allowed full stop.

That first sentence is a philosophical distinction rather than a physiological one if ever I’ve heard it. Presumably you’d give a horse bute to help it push through pain.

Secondly, as far as I’m aware the is NO demonstrated PE capacity in cobalt, indeed none even possible in its B12 form.

And when we have leading trainers get a slap on the wrist for presenting horses with class A illicit drugs like ice or cocaine, but mandatory minimums for there are some strange distinctions being made.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 9:22am
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 9:28am
Judge I agree with a lot of what you've said re too lenient penalties or inconsistent ones. Very true.

I just don't buy into this whole argument that Cobalt isn't understood or isn't as bad as some make out, or is found in vitamins etc. Trainers have been paying dodgy vets good money on the side to administer Cobalt because it enhances athletic performance - it's as simple as.

I'd be really surprised if the Snowdens knowingly did anything wrong here. Stables walk a fine line around the timing of medication, and they can innocently get it wrong. Doesn't make it ok, just saying for these guys I tend to think it was a mistake.
Sunline...simply supreme
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 9:36am
Sunline, there’s no evidence to suggest cobalt enhancers athletic performance in horses, as far as I’m assure.

A question-we KNOW working a horses at altitude or in a hypoxic chamber will increase red blood cell count, essentially blood doping.

Does this qualify as “performance enhancement”, for those that can afford it?
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 10:40am

Judge I agree with a lot of what you've said re too lenient penalties or inconsistent ones. Very true.

I just don't buy into this whole argument that Cobalt isn't understood or isn't as bad as some make out, or is found in vitamins etc. Trainers have been paying dodgy vets good money on the side to administer Cobalt because it enhances athletic performance - it's as simple as.

I'd be really surprised if the Snowdens knowingly did anything wrong here. Stables walk a fine line around the timing of medication, and they can innocently get it wrong. Doesn't make it ok, just saying for these guys I tend to think it was a mistake.

Your wasting your time here Sunline, you'll get more satisfaction listening to a Republican voter extolling the virtures of Trump!
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 10:59am

Mistake or not trainers should be getting disqualified. End of story. 12 months to start with first offense
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 11:23am
For bute?
to the victor
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 11:27am
Originally posted by linghi11 linghi11 wrote:

For bute?

Why not. is an analgesic (relieves pain)
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 11:32am
Some logic and consistency wouldn’t go astray. Moody was not guilty on administration and copped a presentation charge when it was accepted the most likely source of his elevated cobalt readings was feed supplement. Non performance enhancing and perfectly safe. Still copped 6 months.

And he was “lucky”. Most of the of the presentation guilty parties (as distinct from administration grubs like Smith) for cobalt have copped 12.
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by mc41 mc41 wrote:

Originally posted by linghi11 linghi11 wrote:

For bute?

Why not. is an analgesic (relieves pain)

You would be lucky to have anyone training at that rate as big stables get a lot more bute positives than are publicised.
to the victor
Pazman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 6:02pm
If you are a serious high profile trainer, spend some money.

Use to top notch veterinary practice to look after swabables.

Don't put it in the responsibility of stable hands who would have no education on the matter.

Does not pass the pub sniff test when you get a positive and say some stable hand gave 7 times the supplement dose.
Hazyview View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hazyview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 5:30pm
Why do people bay for blood when a big trainer gets an easily explainable thing like this - mistakes happen, believe it or not. It's tough enough finding a clean trainer who can actually train, imagine if everybody was rubbed out for 12 months every time they made a mistake!

Interesting to compare this fine to a recent one dished out to a syndicator for buying a horse they already owned - which kind of behaviour is a bigger blight on the industry!?

3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 5:39pm
A harness driver got a $5K fine and no conviction recorded for two cases of race fixing in a Brisbane court a while back. Their magistrates must still be working on the BP-Hinze system of justice.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12