Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Revolutionary Training Track

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Revolutionary Training Track
    Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 1:39pm

Revolutionary racehorse training track gets green light for construction in Lambourn 

• Planning permission approved for training system at Kingwood Stud
  • Space-age mile-long monorail will help develop young racehorses 
  • Loose connecting reins allow each horse freedom of movement to make exercise as natural as possible.

By Marcus Townend For Mail Online

Published: 21:20 AEST, 13 October 2014 |

With its space-age design, it would not look out of place in a theme park but its creator claims it will revolutionise the training of racehorses.

Planning permission has already been approved for the construction of the mile-long monorail system just outside the Berkshire training centre of Lambourn with work expected to being before the end of the year after the recent appointment of a Project Manager.

Ultimately running along the track will be a computer controlled unit housing between six and 12 horses as they exercise with controlled weights on their backs rather than riders.

By this time next year, it should be completed and Turkish industrialist Mehmet Kurt, who has poured $20million (£12.4million) into development and will spend a further £10m on his system’s construction at Kingwood Stud, is convinced the horse welfare benefits will win over any sceptic minds in racing.

+2

Horses travel along a one-mile monorail covered system exercising on an artificial racing surface 

Turkish owner Mehmet Kurt claims is convinced the horse welfare benefits will win over any sceptic minds
+2

Turkish owner Mehmet Kurt is convinced the horse welfare benefits will win over any sceptic minds

Kurt this week outlined his plans to a Jockey Club delegation headed by chief executive Simon Bazalgette but he already has a prototype operating near Istanbul.

He was inspired develop Kurtsystems after becoming frustrated by the level of injury to his young horses when they went into training.

He is convinced that, more often than not, riders tugging at the reins of embryonic racehorses do more damage than good.

Kurt says results in his homeland endorse his methods. He claims horses which undergo a conditioning programme of ‘controlled exercise’ develop stronger bones, cartilages, muscles and tendons, making them more resilient to the rigours of full training.

HOW IT WORKS  

Units housing between six to 10 horses travel along a one-mile monorail covered system exercising on an artificial racing surface.

Loose connecting reins allow each horse freedom of movement to make exercise as natural as possible.

System can be shut down by an operator travelling in control car behind the horses. Automatic shutdown also checks in via sensors on the tethers if a horse stumbles or falls.

System designed to run at speeds of up to 35mph and horses would work for up to an hour a day

Weights gradually increased on each horses back, starting at 20 kilos and peaking at 60 kilos.

Respiratory and heart rate monitors on each compartment

Kurt, a former president of Adanaspor football club who studied the movement of wild horses in Arizona before designing his prototype, claims his system can also play a significant role in the rehabilitation of injured horses.

The man, who has won the Turkish Derby twice with The Best (1993) and Batrobel (1999), said: ‘When I had young horses which were exciting and expected to become champions were injured too often, I felt I had to find a solution or leave the sport.

‘Breakdowns and muscle injuries arise when horses are pushed beyond their capabilities at a very young age.

‘This is about making a horse ready for training. The idea is to make it as natural as possible with no restriction on movement.’

Kurt has had horse in training with Richard Hannon this summer and intends to increase his British string. He will intend this week’s next session of the Tattersalls Sales in Newmarket this week with bloodstock agent Anthony Stroud.

Kurt’s intention is to practise what he preaches and pre-train his young stock on his system. He insists he can win over the traditionally conservative racing community to join him.

‘I know people have old habits but when they see horses going from the Kurtsystems to be winners they will change to new habits,’ he said.

He already has one convert, renowned US Horse Whisperer Monty Roberts, who said: ’I see potential in it, amazing potential.’ 

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 1:44pm
just saw it before looks cool does't it? although I hope that is not pro-ride they're on, in my personal view it's a young horse no-no
to the victor
Geraldo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geraldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 8:12pm
They've all got noserolls on.
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 8:16pm
Probably to keep their concentration focused down Stop them rearing
Fiddlesticks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 8:36pm
They're not very big nose rolls, they look like they are probably on to stop chaffing as all the pressure looks to be on that part of the collar-bridle, nose rolls only work if they are big enough to obstruct vision causing the head to bow down..
Panspermia.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 9:06pm
Of course Fiddles, they're the same as Weiry has for everything that goes on the treadmills as they work into the noseband the same as leaning on the bit Thumbs Up
Geraldo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geraldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 2:13am
Whose first thought when they saw this was it's not April Fools Day for another six months?

So, say it's a straight mile monorail, at the end the horses are walked back by hand?  The monorail returns by itself?  Would be too much hassle to move the horse around?  Maybe there's some kind of loop at the other end, so that the monorail turns back on itself?

Or it's a mile long monorail, but ends near to where it starts?
Geraldo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geraldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 2:25am
Thinking about it, it must be some sort of oval.
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 12:57pm
Seeing this is only a mile long I take its only for fast work, so a jog n canter then into this ?
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 5:13pm
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 6:19pm
The future of training seemed to have a lot to do with your vet at one stage there, could still be that way.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 7:41pm
There are plenty of 'industry whingefest' topics available so please refrain from derailing specific threads Disapprove
ThreeBears View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 12:23pm
I hope you can read this article. An interesting concept from Turkish tycoon Mehmet Kurt. He's already used a prototype in the training of two Derby winners in Turkey.

The machine, which is the brainchild of Mehmet Kurt, 70, one of Turkey’s leading industrialists, takes up to ten horses at varying speeds from a trot to a 30mph canter around the all-weather surface.
The Stallion View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Stallion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 12:29pm
I like it. Now if only we can get the horses to race without the fools on their back, we will be right.
That's the smell of victory, you can't wash that out.
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 12:36pm
You'll be in big trouble from Red Hunter 3Bs. I posted same a week or so ago only to find Gay had posted months before.Smile

LOL

Edited by Gay3 - 26 Jul 2017 at 12:43pm
ThreeBears View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 1:57pm
Thanks Gay. Never spotted this on here before. Thumbs Up
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 10:27am
Bump for Acacia Smile
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 2:32pm
Thanks.
animals before people.
 Post Reply Post Reply