Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Winx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 175176177
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2019 at 6:43pm
A 5 or 6kg rise as a result of her win eh?

On that basis Almond Eye would get an 8kg rise after her recent win.
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2019 at 8:00pm
It's time to move on from the great mare Winx

I hope in another 10 years we are not comparing her Cox Plate wins to every horse that wins the race
EAD
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2019 at 8:09pm
20 years after Kingston Town people were still comparing horses to him.

reductio ad absurdum
Redemption View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 10:57pm
Does anyone know the length of her body, tip of nose to butt?

We all focus on stride length, height of a horse,etc,, but how long was her body?

Im watching all her races, and even though in mounting yard she didnt look too big, when you watch her in races, she looks so long.

Even against Black Heart Bart at Caulfield, she monstered him, looked huge.

But how long was her body, cant find anything on that?
ALL my posts are written as Sci-Fi, no different to an Orson Welles and should not be taken literally. Sci-fi is a genre of Fiction.
Dizzy View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 3:10pm
Winx's 2 yr old half sister Covent Garden will have her first start at Warwick Farm on Moday 8th June, has also been nommed for Canterbury on the Wednesday.
early4lunch View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote early4lunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 11:08pm
6th of 7.Can only improve
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 11:15pm
Her trials were strange.

I have never seen a jockey try so hard to win a trial.
reductio ad absurdum
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 4:02pm
Especially a Waller horse djebel
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 4:07pm
We know one thing at least now - the half sister has not got Winxs phenomenal  swimming ability. 

An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 5:51pm

Retired Racehorses To Benefit From Sale Of Winx Model

By the time Winx ran her final race in April 2019, she had amassed $26,451,175 in prizemoney, 25 Group 1 trophies, the title of World’s Best Racehorse and millions of admirers around the globe who dreamed of one day owning a horse half as good her. While the real deal isn’t for sale and most of us couldn’t afford her anyway, Winx fans can now buy a scale model of the wonder mare and help care for retired racehorses at the same time.

Renowned modelling company Breyer Horses approached Winx’s owners about creating a model of her likeness after she won the Secretariat Vox Populi Award in The United States in January 2019. They had already rejected pitches from other companies but were impressed by the level of research and effort Breyer put into the project. Winx’s trainer Chris Waller and regular jockey Hugh Bowman inspected the design drawings and were satisfied it accurately represented the mare, but there was one more condition which had to be met before it was given the green light.

“As owners, we’re interested in paying forward our good fortune so Breyer kindly agreed to donate $1 from the sale of every Winx model to a charity of our choice,” Debbie Kepitis said on behalf of the ownership group. “We have chosen Team Thoroughbred NSW as the recipient.”

Team Thoroughbred NSW is Racing NSW’s equine welfare division. Thoroughbreds who have been predominantly domiciled in NSW can be surrendered into Team Thoroughbred NSW’s care to be retrained and rehomed at no cost to the owner. This ensures all retired racehorses have a quality home to go to at all times. Team Thoroughbred also has two dedicated equine welfare veterinarians who monitor retired racehorses in their new homes.

“I truly believe we need to look after the animals which are bred for this industry,” Debbie said. “It’s great to know Team Thoroughbred provides a safety net for these horses to ensure they are cared for in a way the industry can be proud of.”

The Winx model is now available for $79.95 from TopTac as well as Saddle World, Horseland and some independent saddleries and toy stores. Each model is made to the traditional 1:9 scale. Already there has been a huge demand for the model. It sold out in the United States and is expected to sell out down under too.

Debbie was one of the first to receive her Winx model which has pride of place on her desk at home.

“It’s very humbling and touching to think there are so many people all over the world who have watched Winx on any sort of media from phones to televisions,” Debbie said. “They have told us of the excitement and joy she brought them and how she made them feel like you can do whatever you want to do.”

reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 5:52pm
i KNOW IT says scaled to 1-9, how big would that be ? 
reductio ad absurdum
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 5:41pm

Winx loses first foal in equine superstar's tough start to broodmare career

acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 11:30am
Has anyone heard a word about how the mare is doing ?   Have they given any updates at all ?   Bit odd if they havnt as we all want to know, even the non racing public.  
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 11:57am
$1 out of $80 - I am overwhelmed by your generosity, Breyer.Clap

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 12:01pm
Question for horsey people. If there were ten mares of similar colour, age, condition in a paddock and one of them was Winx, could you pick her out without cheating?

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 12:09pm
No. Embarrassed Have to see the brand ! Big smile
animals before people.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 12:10pm
Probably not, But I would imagine she might have a superior presence about her that might help pick her out. 
reductio ad absurdum
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 5:18pm
Yes I think you could. That rear end of hers is easy to spot. Long between hip and tail, lowset tail and really long gaskins with prominent lowset hocks . Built like a cat really. Of course if you asked me just looking at her what she’d be really good at I’d say she’d jump like a stag! I wonder if she can?
EnableMe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EnableMe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 6:58pm
The statue is just over 18cm tall to wither by my calculation. 
longevity does not equate to credibility
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 7:17pm
Does the scale model run ?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 10:38pm
Any updates on how she is going ???
animals before people.
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 8:29pm
Connections reported today that the great mare is "recovering well"
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 12:26pm
Vale Mr Richard Treweeke (Part-Owner Of Winx)

Richard Treweeke, the part-owner of all-time great racemare Winx, died on Tuesday. He was 90.

Treweeke was responsible for naming Winx, winner of 37 of her 43 starts, the last 33 in succession including a world record 25 Group 1 wins and more than $26 million prizemoney.

Winx’s trainer Chris Waller was saddened to learn of Treweeke’s passing.

“Mr Treweeke was a lovely man to deal with and very supportive of me and my stable," Waller said. “He was always so appreciative of my staff and in awe of what was achieved with Winx.”

Peter Tighe, who raced Winx with Debbie Kepitis and Treweeke, said he raced horses successfully with Treweeke for many years before Winx rose to international superstardom.

“Every horse I owned with Richard won a race, he was my lucky charm," Tighe said. “But I remember Richard’s favourite saying was he owned ‘chase horses, not racehorses’ and then along came Winx.

“I’m glad he lived long enough to see the unveiling of Winx’s statue."

The Winx statue was unveiled at Rosehill Gardens Racecourse on Monday where Elizabeth Treweeke represented her father.

I interviewed Treweeke a number of times early in Winx’s race career and once asked him to explain how he came up with “Winx” as the name for the mighty mare.

“Peter, Debbie and I were asked to submit two names each and Winx, which was one I put forward, was selected. Everyone seems to love the name, I suppose it’s easy to remember,’’ Treweeke said.

“She’s out of Vegas Showgirl and if you have been to Vegas and watched the showgirls, they might flash some skin and the blokes will give them a wink. Try putting that in print!”

Racing NSW's chief executive, Peter V’landys AM said racing has lost one of its great characters with Treweeke’s passing.

“I’m sure I speak on behalf of the entire racing industry by extending my deepest sympathies to Richard’s family," V’landys said.

“Richard was wonderful for racing because he made himself available to the media during the Winx era and this added to the legend of Winx."    - Ray Thomas (The Daily Telegraph)

Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
      Gay3 View Drop Down
      Moderator Group
      Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 1:13pm
      She probably added 5 years to his longevity Heart
      Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
      TJMitchell View Drop Down
      Champion
      Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 1:26pm
      What an experience to have before you bow out. Incredible.
      Time is a flat circle
      Jamal View Drop Down
      Champion
      Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 2:24pm
      Sad news. R.I.P. I'm sure Winx bought so much joy and happiness 
      Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
      djebel View Drop Down
      Premium
      Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 12:00am
      reductio ad absurdum
      djebel View Drop Down
      Premium
      Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 12:11am
      There are 17 named foals out of mares who beat Winx.

6 of them are or were trained by Waller. Naval Seal, Zarastro, Love (retried unraced) Zudin, Lambardi (sacked) and Sirocco Gale.

2 Mares that beat Winx have been exported to UK/IRE for a 100% win ratio, Mossfun Frankel offspring Dajraan and Sadmah, and Amicus with Galileo youngsters Okita Soushi and Peach Blossom.

The 12 fillies that beat Winx have produced 17 named foals for 5 winners, 3 of them in Europe - California Sky and Zudin in Australia, Dajraan, Sadmah and Okita Soushi in Europe.

reductio ad absurdum
      jacko1 View Drop Down
      Champion
      Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacko1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 12:10pm
      I'd never seen her first win before but it was pretty impressive. Just needed to mature a bit before she became a superstar.
      Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
      Champion
      Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2021 at 2:23pm
       Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 175176177