Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Stallions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Needs Further Standing in Tasmania

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 10:32pm

Needs Further will relocate from Tasmania's Armidale Stud to Aquis' Victorian base for the 2020 season in a move which is set to pave the way for greater opportunities for the stallion.

The son of Encosta De Lago has almost single-handedly re-invigorated the Tasmanian breeding industry in his seven seasons at Armidale Stud, producing the star filly Mystic Journey, who was able to win both the G1 Australian Guineas and the inaugural All-Star Mile in 2019.

He has produced five stakes winners in total, with Mystic Journey joined by DerocheBold StarMystical Pursuit and Pateena Arena. Among his 52 winners to date are the champion 2-year-olds in Tasmania the past three seasons.

Aquis CEO Tony Williams said Needs Further was a perfect fit for Aquis' Victorian operation, where he will stand alongside Lean Mean Machine, who debuted at the Seymour property last season.

"I couldn't be more delighted to have a son of Encosta De Lago like Needs Further coming to Victoria. To be working with Armidale Stud, who have had generations in the business and are so well-respected, is a feather in the cap for Aquis," Williams told TDN AusNZ.

"The job Needs Further has done in Tasmania is quite remarkable and to have a filly like Mystic Journey to be a Classic winning 3-year-old and win the inaugural All-Star Mile is a great achievement for a young stallion.

"The job Needs Further has done in Tasmania is quite remarkable." - Tony Williams

"His statistics are exceptional. Armidale have done a great job with him in Tassie and I think it’s a great opportunity for him to relocate to Victoria."

Off the back of Mystic Journey's success, Needs Further served a book of 103 mares last season, but the partners in the horse, including Armidale Stud itself, received interest from interstate and recognised that better opportunities might present themselves on the mainland.

Mystic Journey

"We have had quite a lot of interest from mainland studs for the past 18 months. We’ve had some pressure from within the ownership group to move him. It seems like the obvious thing is to move him to Victoria to get access to better quality mares," Armidale Stud Managing Director, David Whishaw, told TDN AusNZ.

"Aquis first approached us in March 2019, and it got more serious from March onwards this year and we’ve been able to bed something down.

"It seems like the obvious thing is to move him to Victoria to get access to better quality mares." - David Whishaw

"I think it’s a wonderful opportunity for him, He's done an outstanding job with limited books of mares down here. He does deserve a chance at getting a big commercial book of mares. Shifting to Victoria allows him to do that."

Bred by Gooree Stud, Needs Further was trained by Gai Waterhouse and won the G3 ATC Carbine Club S. He is out of Crowned Glory (Danehill {USA}), who was a Group 3 winner and placed in a G1 Golden Slipper S. She also produced the multiple Group 1 winner and now Twin Hills Stud stallion Hallowed Crown, who is by Street nse (USA).

Encosta connection to resonate in Victoria

Williams said with an exceptional pedigree, it was little wonder Needs Further had made such an impression at stud and he expected that as a son of Encosta De Lago, who built his substantial reputation in Victoria before relocating to the Hunter Valley, he would resonate very strongly with Victorian breeders.

"He's a very good horse. He's got an unbelievably good stallion's pedigree. He throws a substantial foal and yearling and he will be supported well and suit the Victorian market," he said.

"He throws a substantial foal and yearling and he will be supported well and suit the Victorian market." - Tony Williams

"Encosta De Lago made his name in Victoria before going to New South Wales. Encosta is a great influence in Victoria and this horse can certainly complement his sire there.

"He's also out of a Danehill mare who ran second in a Golden Slipper. Danehill has been a breed-shaper. He is exactly the type of stallion that Aquis needs in Victoria and we look forward to doing the partners and shareholders proud. I am really excited about him going there."

Needs Further stays at the same price point he occupied in the 2019 season in Tasmania ($13,750), with the deal on a season-by-season basis.

Armidale enters a new era

While his departure is somewhat bittersweet for the Whishaw family, David Whishaw sees the move as making perfect commercial sense.

"He covered more interstate mares last year than he did Tassie mares. I think that was one of the compelling reasons. He is appealing now to the mainland more than the local market," he said.

"He really should suit the Super VOBIS scheme very well. He's a very versatile sire, he's thrown 3-year-old classic horses, he's thrown the horses that look like they will get out over a trip as well as sprinters.

slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 9:44am
any word from across the water on bookings etc ? Cheers Slowdown
Rebel - racing. Lionel - in work. Glory - spelling. Ray - spelling. A Wee Nip - in work.
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 12:48pm
I see his half brother has also shifted studs and is standing for a slightly more affordable fee on the back of siring an Oaks winner
to the victor
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 2:17pm
I took a bit of time to work through h.c. winning progeny. Many are well performed winners- not just winners. ThInk at eleven he would be decent value
Rebel - racing. Lionel - in work. Glory - spelling. Ray - spelling. A Wee Nip - in work.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 2:29pm
From the AQIS Relocation thread:

Needs Further has returned to his initial home at Armidale Stud in Tasmania while shareholders in the Group 1-producing stallion assess their options ahead of the next breeding season.

Before shareholders elected to send Needs Further to Victoria last year, there had been interest from stallion farms in the Hunter Valley and Queensland, as well as South Australia, and some of those options are believed to remain on the table.

Coincidentally this fella has just won his Maiden at Benalla & could be quite smart. Only 18k bought him & failed xrays for Hong Kong.

2. All Of Brighton (1) J: Billy Egan T: Patrick Payne

Needs Further x Arapeho (Telesto (USA))

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by Glencoe Glencoe wrote:

AS an old pollie "ranga" used to say "Please Explain" .Duck footed is a term I've never heard of   

Me neither.   WTF does duck feet mean ???   Confused  Been around for many years and never heard that term.
So as Poorline says.  Pleeze Explain.  
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

Ah, Photobucket Smile Just left click the bottom dropdowny thing, the IMG one & it'll say 'copied' then paste direct into the window.

But what exactly is that pic showing ???   Confused  A horse standing in straw on a hard surface , in a race day stall ???   So what if he favours a foot on and off ???  Most do. 
I have ask lots of old hands what duck feet are, and none of them know the term.
Must be a modern term , but what does it mean ???
animals before people.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 11:47am
Ducks have webbed feet i.e. good swimmers. The quote may've come from someone who thought he had large feet at the time which could be attributed to well overdue for a reshoeing or the farrier may've allowed considerable flaring, not at all uncommon these days Wink
They look fine in that photo, fwiw.
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 12:20pm
I thought duck feet occurred when one part of the hoof grew quicker than other parts.  For example if the toe grew too fast it would elongate the hoof which would as a necessity mean the heel was low.  Here's a terrible example.  

hoof distortion
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 12:23pm
ps we all know that Ned is turned out a la Charlie Chaplin which could be what some people refer to as duck footed.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 12:24pm
It's more than terrible , it's utter neglect imo.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

ps we all know that Ned is turned out a la Charlie Chaplin which could be what some people refer to as duck footed.

Maybe thats it, SC.  Thumbs Up    Altho when we saw him I wouldnt have said he was badly turned out.  Look hard and you may pick it up, but it appeared very minimal to us. 
That foot in that pic is shamefull.
animals before people.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 11:48am
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

Ah, Photobucket Smile Just left click the bottom dropdowny thing, the IMG one & it'll say 'copied' then paste direct into the window.

But what exactly is that pic showing ???   Confused  A horse standing in straw on a hard surface , in a race day stall ???   So what if he favours a foot on and off ???  Most do. 
I have ask lots of old hands what duck feet are, and none of them know the term.
Must be a modern term , but what does it mean ???

Ouch

That is my photo of 'Ducky', as I called Needs Further', back in his racing day. He had very pronounced duck-feet which were an asset in the wet. I'm so pleased he has progressed as a sire. Heaven knows how my personal photo ended up on photobucket. Perhaps I should charge a fee for using it. 

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 11:53am

Ducks have webbed feet i.e. good swimmers. The quote may've come from someone who thought he had large feet at the time which could be attributed to well overdue for a reshoeing or the farrier may've allowed considerable flaring, not at all uncommon these days Wink
They look fine in that photo, fwiw.

Duck-feet means that they turn slightly outward when walking...or standing still. 

Some duck-footers straighten up while galloping, though. 

I was the one who dubbed him 'Ducky' because his feet pointed out. Gai hated nicknames for her horses, but we just ignored that directive. 

Star
Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by slowdown slowdown wrote:

Umagold to be covered today.

and hey presto . here is the result in the pink. sh'bourne de lago. trial number 6. 

slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 1:15pm

Umagold to be covered today.

and hey presto . here is the result in the pink. sh'bourne de lago. trial number 6. 

first trial so very happy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789