Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Racing Syndicates

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2013 at 10:18am
Originally posted by Tractor Tractor wrote:

If you're in SE QLD then check out First Up Racing. It's Blair from Crafty Racing and he has started his own "thoroughbred ownership service" if your budget is a bit lower than what the big syndicators are advertising then he'll help you out. I think he has two new yearlings for around $4k per 10% each. He retains a 10% share and therefore only makes money if the horse wins.

Lordy should know him as I think he is a minor shareholder in Buffering
Yep, Blair will look after you. 

I don't believe he does the usual buy 'em then move the shares.  He finds interested parties and forms racing partnerships prior to purchase.  Then goes and sources the stock.  Reckon he will have something lined up for the QTIS sales in March so a good time to get in touch.
CANDLEMAN_1 View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CANDLEMAN_1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2013 at 10:41am
I've always found the best way to try and get into a horse is to do your own assessment of the yearling sale based on the information available on the internet (pedigree, photo's video etc) - turn up to the sales if you want to have a look at the horse. Once you've found a few horses your interested in, fire off an e-mail to the trainer or syndication teams selling the horse, if you do it early enough you'll find 10% shares or more are available in the horse before they've been sold. Obviously if it is Coolmore who's buys the horse they won't be selling shares. I'm talking more about the trainers & syndicates.

If the horse does nothing on the track, at least you had some input into it and you can't blame anyone else. I had missed out on a horse previously who turned out to be Golden Archer, subsequently brought into a horse from the same stable who broken down at the 1st start. My next venture for a different stable has produced a 1st start winner and entered for the Blue Diamond previews this weekend - 100/1 to win but you've got to be in it to win it.

Good luck.
Burn Baby Burn..
Gee Gee View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gee Gee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2013 at 11:03am
Spot on Candleman. Probably better with a trainer, as they are the ones who want it in their yard.

Best of Luck with your possible BD runner.   
Mayor View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mayor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2013 at 11:12am
New racehorse syndications site launched should help you...

Mayor
Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2013 at 11:13am
Good advice Candleman.  I know for a fact there are shares available in a fews that I was keen on at Magic Millions.  Lots 65 and 662 with Moody and lot 790 with Tony Gollan.
Some of the other lots went to syndicators so you will be paying their margins to get in there.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2013 at 11:20am
Reckon you could try Gai's STAR THOROUGHBREDS, they seem to do a good enough job.

bumped into two of their clients at the sales...have had four horses with DM....are going elsewhere...the shades are off...burnt fingers were nicely bandaged....

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2013 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by jujuno jujuno wrote:

Reckon you could try Gai's STAR THOROUGHBREDS, they seem to do a good enough job.

bumped into two of their clients at the sales...have had four horses with DM....are going elsewhere...the shades are off...burnt fingers were nicely bandaged....

Cry  Big smile
animals before people.
blackbook View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackbook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2013 at 8:55pm
Can't echo the same thoughts enough. Deal directly with the trainer directly.

I did a bit of research and decided on the trainer I wanted to go with. Make a time to go out to the stable, check out their stock in the spelling paddocks etc.

My first share in a horse was a freebie from a mate who bred it. We had her with Darren Weir then took her to David Hayes. We had two starts for a last and second last. Sacked.

I now have a share in one with Mike Moroney and just got into one with Jamie Edwards.

Can't stop praising Jamie and Bruce Elkington. Their facilities are brilliant and they are the nicest guys going around. Competitve training fees are also a bonus :)
Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2013 at 2:06pm
*bump*
First Up Racing was mentioned earlier in this thread.  I've seen that they have a couple of yearling direct from the stud that look pretty good.  I quite like the Jet Spur filly who is a half to Exotic Sequel, a very promising 3yo in Brisbane.
Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2013 at 2:56pm
Sorry, forgot the link for the First Up Racing

DssZou View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DssZou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 2:46am
My mate told me that Eales charge a monthly management fee and admin fee that is large.

Here to win
SHOVHOG View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHOVHOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 9:59am
None. The syndicate industry is a disgrace. The industry just prints money for themselves.
" In gambling the many must lose in order for the few to win"
crooked_gambler View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 10:34am
After being a trainer for decades, I have it away a few years back.
Recently joined a syndicate and I could not be happier with the way things have gone. Fees, service and updates are all 10/10.
Worth every cent.
This space has been intentionally left blank
crooked_gambler View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 10:34am
Gave it away*
This space has been intentionally left blank
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 3:25pm
The main reason yearlings go for an inflated price imo, certain trainers now putting their hands up for anything conformed ok then spend the next 12 months advertising on every media outlet for syndication, reckon breeders would luv it, how many of these babies race in blinkers in their first 3 runs, and the reason...they are not educated properly and end up racing on fear , they are "new"and "lost".
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 5:37pm
I must say with the rise in syndicates in the last 10 years there is one profession that has gone sky high, and that is photography , nice work if you can get it lol, $100-50a pop, god knows how many members , a goldmine.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 6:40pm
Now limited to a very select few, sadly for the many Cry
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 6:44pm
We sold one for $4,000 some years ago, which represented a significant loss.  Then spent about $2,800 on 13 photos of him winning.Ermm
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by crooked_gambler crooked_gambler wrote:

After being a trainer for decades, I have it away a few years back.
Recently joined a syndicate and I could not be happier with the way things have gone. Fees, service and updates are all 10/10. Worth every cent.

Agree.  It's just down to knowing getting abreast of the syndicates that don't charge overs for shares/management, keep you informed, and produce results.

Relampago View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Relampago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 3:14pm
Anyone had dealings with Blueblood Thoroughbreds...

Good, Bad, otherwise.

I have mixed reports, which often happen depending on expectations etc.
Daintree Duke Fan Club President!!! RIP!!!

Melbourne Autumn Tipping Champion 2009!
Melbourne Spring Tipping Champion 2009!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 4:22pm
Well where have you been Relampago? 

Don't have any first hand experience with the syndicator, but others surely will.  

The only observation I'd offer is that even allowing for post-purchase costs and the need for them to make a profit their markups appear somewhat excessive.  Ask for a copy of the PDS for one of their yearlings which will enable you to examine the cost breakdown.

This from their website doesn't appear to tell you the fully story: Share Price Includes â€“Purchase Price, Nominations and Bonus Schemes, Agistment, Breaking In, X-Rays and Scoping, Mortality Insurance cover to the 31st March 2021.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 4:24pm
I agree with SC re their markup prices.  But if you look , its not just them .  Quite a few others seem to have a high mark up too, but thats just MHO.
animals before people.
Relampago View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Relampago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 4:30pm
hey mate, yeh it's been a while since i've been on the boards...

I all over the costs associated, I know its a fair mark up etc... 
so I'm comfortable with that.

Pretty comfortable I'm paying a little overs for the ease of getting in a keepin the Misso happy.

Just wanted to know if anyone had bad experiences with this lot before I jump in.

Hope you're well.
Daintree Duke Fan Club President!!! RIP!!!

Melbourne Autumn Tipping Champion 2009!
Melbourne Spring Tipping Champion 2009!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 7:49pm
C'mon, surely someone has had experience with this particular syndicator?

And if you don't want to go on the record, just send a pm to Relampago.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 8:16pm
z
Take2 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Take2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2023 at 11:46am
love to say a lot more about this subject but won't but i noticed an ad from a syndicator that  bought a horse which had (after gst added) an advertised price that seemed excessive  (lets keep it at excessive instead of the actual figure), evidently thats not enough for them as they charge management fees on top, i have seen other syndicators that charge 10-12.5% on top of purchase price
if the excessive amount is inclusive of breaking (i pay around 3K for horses to be broken)  and agistment ($25-$30 pd) it still looks a bit generous or greedy depending on ones perspective
my reckonings below
horse purchase (say)

2,000.0 GST
  1,000.0 Transport
  1,000.0 farriery
  5,000.0 6 Mths Agistment
  1,000.0 Veterinary (worming and usual meds if any)
  1,200.0 Insurance on $22,000 (5%)?
30,000.0 Total cost @ 6 mth
  7,500.0 Markup (12.5%)
38,700.0 syndicated price
$1935.00 per 5%

using the excessive model, one is better off until purchase price gets north of around $30,000.00
My advice is shop around and do ya rithmatic

Edited by Take2 - 27 Jul 2023 at 12:14pm
change is simply a destination on a journey reached by taking the first step (i said that) lol

www.3rdmillenniumbloodstock.com.au
Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2023 at 8:17pm
Just saw a $200k purchase in UK sold for around $7k in online auc yesterday. Was purchased as a 6 start maiden with all the usual promises of Cups etc. The training fees for the 3 years averaged around $8k per month (including management fees). 
But with shares as small as less than 1%, it’s a license to rob.  
PS. It is a 400 horse plus operation. 
“Gambling has brought our family closer together. We had to move to a smaller house.”
Take2 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Take2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2023 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by Batman Batman wrote:

Just saw a $200k purchase in UK sold for around $7k in online auc yesterday. Was purchased as a 6 start maiden with all the usual promises of Cups etc. The training fees for the 3 years averaged around $8k per month (including management fees). 
But with shares as small as less than 1%, it’s a license to rob.  
PS. It is a 400 horse plus operation. 

is the end game to force out small breeders and owners and for syndicators to do everything?
change is simply a destination on a journey reached by taking the first step (i said that) lol

www.3rdmillenniumbloodstock.com.au
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 3:21pm

Q&A with Joe O'Neill

Winning Post’s Paul Richards catches up with Prime Thoroughbreds' Joe O'Neill

PR: Joe, your syndication business, Prime Thoroughbreds, recently had its 1000th winner. Who brought up the milestone?

JO: It was Vivilici at Devonport (August 20). Adam Trinder trains her, and it was her sixth win from 20 starts. She’s a good, honest mare down there.

To syndicate and part-own 1000 winners is quite an achievement. What do you think when you hear that figure?

It is really nice. It is quite an achievement when you think about it. Ellie Edwards helped set up our website late last year and she thought it would be good to mention how many winners we’d had. So, between Christmas and New Year I went back through our records and found all of them. There were some great memories looking through those past winners.

I can imagine. Do you have a favourite horse?

It’s a hard one to answer as they’ve all given us a lot of pleasure. It’s a great thing to help people part-own a racehorse, but I can imagine you aren’t going to let me get away with that answer. I’ll go with Calming. She did so much for us. She was our first stakes winner when she won the Davenport Classic (2002) in Adelaide. She was also our first winner in Brisbane and Melbourne. I also have a soft spot for Holding. We bought him out of a paddock for $12,000 and he ended up winning a Wangoom Handicap (2004) and finished with almost $275,000 in prizemoney.

Of course, Rubisaki has to be included. She was placed in a Group 1 (third in the Sangster Stakes, 2021) and won three stakes races in a row.

So how did you get involved in syndication in the first place?

I met (trainer) Bill Mitchell at a Friday lunch back in the late 1990s. I was working in the Australian Army, in the recruiting area. I’d been in the army for 20 years and decided it was time to do something else. Bill and I caught up again a year or so later. At the time he had Peter Moody running his Brisbane stable and had a strong team in Sydney as well. His horses were going well but he wanted to find some more owners. I offered to give him a hand. At the time people like Shelley Hancox, Vern Rayner and Harry Lawton had syndication businesses. Bill thought owning horses was becoming expensive and that the days of one owner having 30 horses were starting to disappear. We decided to try to syndicate our own. We didn’t touch his existing database of owners and tried to find some new ones.

What did you do?

The first ad we placed was in the Sportsman newspaper. It was for a Celestial Dancer colt and I’ll never forget where I was when I got the first phone call. I was driving near the Australian Golf Club in Sydney, and I pulled over and parked under a bridge to take the call. I could only just hear the person on the other end, but as it turns out, he came on board and stuck with us for the next 23 years. It was only when his wife got very sick a couple of years ago that he had to have a spell.

And who was your first winner?

It was Cautious Lover at Gosford (February 1999). She was by Alquoz out of Now Then. Larry Cassidy rode her. Bill Mitchell trained her and it all sort of took off from there. We started to get a few winners, which was the best advertising you can get.

Back when you were starting out, how did you communicate with your owners?

Paula, who worked in our office, used to print off the form, we’d get Bill to write his comments about the horses’ chances on it, then Paula would fax it individually to each owner. These days we email it, plus we have a weekly newsletter that goes out to almost 600 owners. Plus, we have owners’ videos.

How do you go with owners who aren’t happy with how their horse ran?

We occasionally get them, but we make sure we’re honest with all our communications. While we have been successful, there are no guarantees with horse ownership, so if the horse isn’t showing much, we’ll let them know.

What about when the horse retires and/or goes to stud?

Well, we try to protect owners as we believe they’re better off not trying to breed from the mares. It is difficult enough racing them. These people are buying up to 10 per cent of a horse and the amount of money involved in breeding a horse, most of our owners can’t afford it. On top of the service fee, all the other expenses involved — it’s just too much when there is no guarantee of a return.

How many horses do you buy each year?

Usually around 15. Bill Mitchell and his son James know the sort of horses we’re after, so they go and check out all the yearlings at the farms we like and come up with a list of around 120. I like to go through the pedigrees. You’ll look at the page in a catalogue and it will list three winners the dam has produced, but I like to look at the ones not mentioned on the page. The dam might have three winners, but it could be from 10 runners. The chances are this one will be no good either, so we lose a few off the list that way.

Do you have a price in mind for those you have left?

Yes, price is very important. We not only have to be able to afford to buy it, but also syndicate it. Once you’ve bought the yearling, you’re up for expenses like insurance, breaking in, transport from the sales to the stable, their spelling costs, entry to any race series. It all adds up. As a guide, a yearling I buy for $60,000 will end up being syndicated for around $100,000 once you factor in all the other expenses, including our own mark-up. When I first started, I probably didn’t have a big enough mark-up, but it has evolved over the years.

I believe you’re a fan of first-season sires.

I love them. The thing with first-season sires is the stud is keen for them to be a success, so they attract around 40 per cent of the best broodmares in Australia, as they’re trying to get their stallions going. If the stallion turns out to be any good, you’ve been able to get a yearling at a nice price before they become too popular.

You spread your horses around the country. How do you decide who gets which horse?

We’re very lucky that we’ve got a great group of trainers that we use. In New South Wales, we’ve got horses with John Thompson and Max Lees. In Victoria, we’ve had a lot of luck with Patrick Payne and recently Tom Dabernig has started taking a few for us, plus we’ve got Michael Trinder in Tasmania. They all have a long background in the industry — they were born into racing. John’s father, Vic, won a Sydney trainers premiership. Kris’s father was Max Lees, who was a great trainer. Patrick of course is part of the Payne dynasty. Tom Dabernig’s grandfather was Colin Hayes and the Trinder family also has a long history of success in Tasmania.

They also have the great quality of being easy to talk to.

Exactly. They’re all good to deal with, plus they’re masters at placing horses. They regularly put them in races that they can win. The other thing is that they’re reasonably priced, which is important when you’re working with such small margins as a syndicator. There are others around that we had to stop using as they were too expensive.

With trainers all over the country, how much travelling do you do?

A lot. On average I take around 100 flights a year.

Have you any idea who have been the most successful jockeys among your first 1000 winners?

Um, that’s a good question. Well, Billy Egan has been fantastic for us and Patrick Payne in recent years. When we started off, Brett Prebble won a lot of races for us before he headed to off to Hong Kong. Darren Beadman was another who was brilliant for us in those early years. There have been quite a few others since then as well, but I’d better mention Brendon McCoull in Tassie and Michael Cahill in Queensland also.

Most racing fans know your colours — blue with a white star and a red cap. How did you come up with those?

They’re from the days with Bill Mitchell. He was a big fan of Eastern Suburbs (now Sydney Roosters) in the NRL. I love them because with the red cap, they’re easy to find in a race.

How is the syndication business at the moment?

Right now, trying to sell a horse is as tough as I can remember. I think the economy is part of the problem, but also COVID wasn’t great for the syndicating business as people couldn’t go and watch their horse race for almost two years. We had Rubisaki and Fituese winning stakes races during COVID and their owners rarely saw them race.

How did you go during the COVID years?

It was tough. People weren’t keen to buy as they couldn’t go to the races. I consciously didn’t get out there and try and sell for those reasons, but we still kept the communications up. I was including a recipe of the week in the emails back in those days.

Are people starting to come back to the races?

Yes, I think they’re starting to get interested again, but it’s very expensive on the track. Food and drinks set you back a long way before you’ve even had a bet. It’s something the clubs need to be aware of.

How easy is it to get tickets for all the owners to see their horse race?

It’s pretty good. We can either email them out or they can pick them up at the raceday office.

And can all the owners get into the mounting yard?

It can be difficult on the very big days during the carnivals, but most of the time all the owners can get in and hear what the jockey and trainer have got to say.

Where do you think syndication will be in say 10 years?

I don’t think it will change that much. There will still be a market for people to get involved at an affordable price. I’m concerned that racing is in danger of being dominated by the massive stables though. Ciaron Maher and David Eustace have something like 800 horses now and Chris Waller also has a huge team. Annabel Neasham also seems to be growing pretty quickly. So, it will be interesting, but the market tends to sort itself out. If you don’t get winners, you won’t survive, so we’ll continue to battle on.

Do you still enjoy it?

I absolutely love it. I’m passionate about the horses and love going to see them as yearlings, at the stables or on racedays, plus I get to meet so many different people who have got involved with us. I’m 67, but I have no interest in retiring. I love it too much.

Any advice to racing fans or prospective owners?

Enjoy your racing and try to get along and see them race. You can’t beat being there when your horse wins.

Joe, great to catch up and once again well done on a 1000 winners.

Cheers, Paul. Good to chat.Q&A with Joe O'Neill

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12