Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Stallions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Phar Lap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seagull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 7:14am
Hey Don, put those teeth back in & don't be so modest. You are a legend ClapCoolBeer ........... Mufhasa certainly showed them a clean pair of heels in the 1400m Grp 1 sprint @ Te Rapa yesterday.
John H View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 3:59pm
Another possible stallion prospect from the Fairy Walk branch of the family is the Commands horse Marching, which is listed as an entire on the Godolphin website.

I reckon they might sell him if an offer came along too.

Blazing Saddles was another stallion from Phar Lap's family.
shiner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 6:22pm
where is Marching, he hasn't raced for over a year and a half?
Horse breeding is like religion, if you don't really believe in what you are doing it is purely social
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by don don wrote:

Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

who is Nod??
for us newbies ??
and what has his/her contribution been to racing, as against a lot of others here ?
again, for us newbies.

Nod [a very backward fella]used to post on here but evidently he forgot his password and became Don -some feel he should post as DogWink
His contribution to racing has been massive donations of punting money and even larger sums to some trainers. And he has bred one or two. He is nowhere as smart as old Runfer or Seagullible.

thanks for that Don.  i get the feeling ole Nod/Don/Dog may be a pretty smart cookie in the breeding game ??WinkStar
Star
animals before people.
Beliskner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beliskner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 7:56am
Is there any current horse families that date back to phar lap's female line?
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 10:34am
Planet Kingdom (great sire) and his 1/2 sister Fairy Walk (Golden Slipper) female line go back to Raphis a full sister to Phar Lap.

Another line which decend from another full sister Fortune's Wheel (that of Iron Horse-Epsom Hcp) has mares like Quaffle dam of Gingerbread Man (singapore stakes winner) and Carabine dam of Booklet.

Another full sister Nea Lap went to the USA and produced a Brooklyn Handicap winner Four Freedoms.  Not sure about her whole family but there are modern day stakes horses coming from one line in Venezuela decending from Special Diamond a daughter of Icecapade who had Nea Lap as her 4th dam.  Another Instant Friendship (6th dm Nea Lap) ended up in Saudi Arabia winning their most prestigious race over 2 miles two years running.

This is the Miss Kate female line.  One Melbourne Cup winner I remember from the line is Silver Knight who comes from a different line that that of Phar Lap.

Beliskner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beliskner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 12:47pm
Forgive me if i'm asking the wrong question, but is there thoroughbreds running around today or as broodmares that i can look up and phar laps dam is like their 20th dams?
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 1:34pm
There are granddaughters of Sunline both here and in NZ that would place Entreaty as 10th dam.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by Beliskner Beliskner wrote:

Forgive me if i'm asking the wrong question, but is there thoroughbreds running around today or as broodmares that i can look up and phar laps dam is like their 20th dams?

Yes there is. There are 100s of them ( my rough guess )

If you have access to the Studbook look up Entreaty and follow her named off spring down through the ages. Some branches die off quickly others thrive.

Another site - Its not 100% complete but will give you an idea.

reductio ad absurdum
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 2:55pm
There is an absolute cockroach going around now over hurdles in Vic called Monte Carlo ,how that name got through I'll never know, but the Real
Monte Carlo duel Derby winner and WFA winner trained by Frank J Dalton in the fifties, was by Lucky Bag from a mare called Bobalong and I am
certain she was a full sister to Raphis you may like to try there also.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 3:08pm
MONTE CARLO (NZ)Bay colt 1953 
Lucky Bag
Bay 1944
Windsor Slipper
Bay 1939
Windsor Lad
Bay 1931
Blandford
Bay 1919
Swynford
Blanche
1-g
3-o
Resplendent
Bay 1923
By George!
Sunbridge
4-n
19-b
Carpet Slipper
Bay 1930
Phalaris
Brown 1913
Polymelus
Bromus
3-f
1-i
Simon's Shoes
Bay 1914
Simon Square
Goody Two-Shoes
4-n
5-h
Sun Princess
Bay 1937
Solario
Bay 1922
Gainsborough
Bay 1915
Bayardo
Rosedrop
10-a
2-n
Sun Worship
Bay 1912
Sundridge
Doctrine
2-g
26>
Mumtaz Begum
Bay 1932
Blenheim
Brown 1927
Blandford
Malva
3-o
1-e
Mumtaz Mahal
Grey 1921
The Tetrarch
Lady Josephine
2-o
9-c
Bobalong
Brown 1946
Lord Bobs
Bay 1941
Nearco
Brown 1935
Pharos
Bay 1920
Phalaris
Scapa Flow
1-i
13-e
Nogara
Bay 1928
Havresac
Catnip
8-h
4-r
Sister Sarah
Bay 1930
Abbots Trace
Chestnut 1917
Tracery
Abbots Anne
19-a
4-j
Sarita
Brown 1924
Swynford
Molly Desmond
1-g
14-c
Raphis
Brown 1934
Night Raid
Bay 1918
Radium
Bay 1903
Bend Or
Taia
1-k
3-c
Sentiment
Bay 1912
Spearmint
Flair
1-c
1-m
Entreaty
Brown 1920
Winkie
Chestnut 1912
William the Third
Conjure
2-e
1-p
Prayer Wheel
Bay 1905
Pilgrim's Progress
Catherine Wheel
1-g
2-r
 Ancestor duplications:Swynford5m x 5f Blandford4m,5m x Phalaris4f x 5m
reductio ad absurdum
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 3:35pm
All the above mentioned (apart from Silver Knight) decend from Entreaty.  Three sisters means just that.  Entreaty had six filly foals - four by Night Raid and two by Nightmarch.  I forgot! that Sunline and Iron Horse are the same female line.   

Quaffle is the dam of the fillies Quaffle On (Exceed and Excel), Bernazena (Bernardini) and Senorita de Vega (Lope de Vega) while Booklet has a All to Hard colt and is in foal to Redoute's Choice.  She lost a I am Invincible filly.  Her dam Carabine had three fillies Devil Child (Steet Cry), and Shabine (Shamardal) are the others.  

So you look at their daughters or dams and family.  Sunline and her dams family.  Fairy Walk is the grandam of Boardwalk Angel, Traipse, Angle Baby Casual Walk and Belmont Walk and their families including Step etc.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 3:43pm
If your interested in an even early Champion I just noticed Snapcrackle (Ekraar - Repetition) decends from Mersey the dam of Carbine.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 3:46pm
While Plan Red the winner of the first in Queensland decends from the Cinna (1000 Guineas, Coronation S) and dam of great sires Beau Pere, Balloch and very good sire Mr Standfast.  It's an interesting pedigree and he is by Show a Heart who also decends from this family (same as Sunday Silence)
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 4:16pm
Your last post was very informative Furious, Balloch,- Dalray,- Tails Dalrello , Mr Standfast always remember him when doing my form.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 12:56am
To further this old family business.  Today's Queensland Oaks winner goes back to the dam of a very early Australia Stallion called Yattendon the winner of the AJC Derby, Sydney Cup, Champagne S, St Leger, All-Aged.  At stud he sired many greats including Chester (AJC Sires Produce, Champagne S, VRC Derby,  Melbourne Cup and numerous other races and Champion Sire) and Grand Flaneur (AJC & VRC Derbies, Melbourne Cup etc). 

Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 4:31pm
Is Phar Lap still considered the greatest horse of Australian racing? Or has that title been moved to another horse??
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12