Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Breeding Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Nicks v G1 Goldmine - Event Date: 07 Apr 2010 - 07 Jun 2010

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowcoach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Nicks v G1 Goldmine
    Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 2:33am
Having a looking at stallions for our mare this season. Had a look at Ad Valorem....used G1 goldmine stallion match and the resulting foal is suppose to look like a champion....20/20 mating. Put the same mating into nicks and the resulting foal is more likely to run last at the Harden picnics, which is not a glowing endorsement for its ability.

Any ideas on how the two could end up with such completely contrasting results from the same breeding?

The Kings Enemy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Kings Enemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 3:43am
I think Nicks is based on dosage?
The Kings Enemy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Kings Enemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 3:43am
And goldmine based on similar pedigree matches.
Run For Fun View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Run For Fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 3:46am
Don't think so mate.

I take zero notice of either, particularly as the proponents of at least one quite deliberately don't rate stallions whose management haven't signed up (ie paid cash) to ensure a rating. 
It's hard to soar with eagles...

Cheers
bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 3:50am
Goldmine is useful for looking at similar pedigree patterns but thats about it without knowing how many foals are born with a similar pedigree its still a stab in the dark.

The other one well it totally dismiss's 50% of the pedigree.
bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 7:07pm
I love the goldmine version they use on stud sites.

Just ran one on my mares through coolmores stallions, she is a 20/20 with every stallion bar tale of the cat LOL
brogers View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2010 at 10:22am
Originally posted by The Kings Enemy The Kings Enemy wrote:

I think Nicks is based on dosage?

Nicks are not based on Dosage. If you want to see how the TrueNicks algorithm is calculated click here

In fact Alan Porter and Steve Roman did a very interesting whitepaper on Nicks and Dosage just before the Kentucky Derby. If you want to read that paper click here.
Abel Tasman...Keen Ice...Divisidero....Verrazano...Catchy...Carrick...Ivictory...
birricannia View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birricannia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2010 at 5:44pm
How much does Goldmine cost to join? Tried enicks a few years back and came to the same conclusion as most......not a lot of point to it at all. Sounds like the other may be an interesting TOOL.
Owners think they're trainers,trainers think they're jockeys and jockeys don't think
ianb View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 7:27pm
I had a client ring me today about his mare being a 20/20 mating to Clang on the stud website G1 feature they run.  Anyway I punched in his mare into the ACTUAL programme I subscribe to and put her across Clang and low and behold it is completely different with no 20 rating anywhere, y is there 2 versions?
Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2010 at 6:22pm
I've tested a few of these kinds of formula based analysis tools and found plenty of anomalies. You still need to impart your own judgment and commons sense to the process. 

One  thing I like about e-Nicks is providing examples of stakes winners with the same cross.  Saves plenty of research time.
tessa View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tessa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2010 at 6:59pm

Ianb, so your actually saying the program you run is a G1 program but is different to what G1 give to the studs so breeders can test out when they go to there website.

yogy bear View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogy bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2010 at 1:25am
Originally posted by bradjm bradjm wrote:

I love the goldmine version they use on stud sites.

Just ran one on my mares through coolmores stallions, she is a 20/20 with every stallion bar tale of the cat LOL
that is because coolmore have slackened the 20/20 criteria for their website. I have g1 and the difference between my version and coolmores is unbelievable
Bottom Line View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bottom Line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2010 at 11:24am
Cannot understand why anyone would use either or as a tool for anything.
Bottom Line View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bottom Line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2010 at 11:27am
Breeding by the book or computer is like buying on pedigree alone.
 It ignores type.
Do that at your peril!
You can't train a page. And you can't make a silk purse blah blah.
buff View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2010 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by Bottom Line Bottom Line wrote:

It ignores type.
Do that at your peril!

Dead set right bottom line you have to 1st consider if your mare physically matchs the chosen sire before delving in to these pedigree programs often peddled by unreputable bloodstock types pushing there own barrowsAngry and often with devious hidden costsDead
tessa View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tessa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2010 at 6:25pm

I certainly agree that no one should use them solely for their choice on breeding, they are great for as someone else said for finding stakes performers bred similarly. My question is why is a stud given a different version to individuals?

shiner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2010 at 7:50pm
I think the studs ask for a version that is going to suit more mares to their stallions.
Horse breeding is like religion, if you don't really believe in what you are doing it is purely social
yogy bear View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogy bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2010 at 8:06pm
its not the majority of studs, just one in particular that stands out that have changed the system. I think the lesson is do your own research dont trust a system on the big players website. Of course coolmore are going to tell you their stallions are best.
Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 5:23am
Originally posted by Bottom Line Bottom Line wrote:

It ignores type.
Do that at your peril!
I don't think any serious breeder would use this as sole criteria.  Its just one of many tools people use in an attempt to minimise risk.  Going on type alone is not ideal either.  Combine the two and you're much better placed.
Bluey View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 7:28pm
With the breeding season coming up fast , I was wondering if anybody has any views on e nicks vs  Goldmine. It was a long time ago that this thread was started and commented on , so I was interested to see if things have changed. Data and information gathering has no doubt improved.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 5:48pm
Dunno about E-nicks Bluey, however Goldmine provides a very simplistic analysis at best imo.
diomed View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diomed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 12:14pm
I do my own analysis.
Those nicking programs are imo worthless.
In my work twice I came up with 87% unappealing pedigrees (my analysis) on big tests (over 1,000,000 test-matings).
But I can not say if that would be reflected in reality.

A while back I looked at all the yearlings sold at an important yearling sale. 
How did they fare afterwards?
I had to find out the name each yearling was given, and then their racing record.

A Yearling Sale………….………..Lots……….Earnings €……….Price €………..Profit/Loss €……….P/L each €

Profit pre training (top 10)……10……….3,018,866…...….408,500……..…..2,610,366……....….261,037
Profit pre training……………….…52……….1,585,503……..….649,700…....……..935,803……......….17,996
Loss pre training………….....….242……….1,196,896……….5,195,000………..-3,998,104…...…….-16,521
Unraced / Untraced…………....130……....…….0,000…..…….1,624,300………..-1,624,300……..….-12,495
Withdrawn ……………..….…..…..28……...…...….0,000………...….….0,000………….……..0,000…...…….0,000

All lots at sale…………...….…..462……..….5,801,265…..…….7,877,500………..-2,076,235……...….-4,494
average for yearlings……...……1………..….12,557………….…….17,051…….………………....…….……….-4,494

Deduct about 40,000+ from the P/L each number to find the real profit (2 x 20k training).
Only 18 horses made a profit over €40k (race earnings minus auction price).
My guess is most of the unraced/untraced were not good enough to go on the track.
The median rating was 69, average 68.4.
The strangest nugget was the two most profitable lots were bought by the same person.

kavg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kavg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 1:16pm
Who was the person who bought those 2 lots diomed?
Prejudice is an emotional attachment to ignorance.
DiEM25 for the world.
 Post Reply Post Reply