Join up at Crownbet - Click here - Crownbet is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Community - Public Forums > Member Interviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Get to know your Formite- WAGGAMICK

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KangaMick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Get to know your Formite- WAGGAMICK
    Posted: 23 Jul 2009 at 5:04am
This week we sit down and have a chat with WAGGAMICK who has been a member here since August 2007. Mick is 56 years young. So get up and grab a cold beer ro wine from the fridge and sit back and get to know our god mate WAGGAMICK.

1. No doubt your name is Mick and you are from Wagga. Have you lived in Wagga all your life?
Born and bred in Yagoona but have gone bush to Armidale, Northern Territory, Wagga, short stint back in Sydney, Hay and back to Wagga for the last 18 years...next move...Wagga Lawn Cemetery

2. Married, Kids, what do they do?
Married(to the same long suffering woman) for 35 years. Son at Uni in Canberra studying Spanish and a daughter in the Commonwealth Public Service.

3.Have you always been a teacher? Have you taught any one who is now famous?
Did HSC and was offered job with Paul Keating who had just been elected in the seat of Blaxland. Already had Trainee Accountant's position with QANTAS. Knocked Paul back and lasted 6 weeks at QANTAS...an early indicator of a chaotic life to come. Trainee Manager with Containers Limited. Metals Salesman with William Adams.
It was then I realised that I had a calling...it was my brother already at Armidale calling me to come on up and commit myself to the 3 R's...Racin', Rootin' and Rugby.
Actually coached Brad Fittler in Under 10's Rugby League...a timely coincidence.
Taught Jamie Soward, Adam Schneider, Nick Henderson, 2 FHM cover girls and a guy doing life for murdering a bloke with a screw driver.

4.You love your golf, what other sports do you like to play and watch?
 You love your Motor Bike Racing(avid rider...94 Yamaha XT600E Dual Purpose), AFL, Harness Racing, Basketball(still play) and Soccer.
Rugby League at a pinch and despite the fact that I played Rugby Union for 20 years I just can't watch it any more.

5. What is your No.1 Supported team? And who is your favourite player?
Funnily enough I don't have a 'Favourite' team in that I get a lot more fun out of watching East Wagga-Kooringal play in the local RFL competition and would enjoy it more if they won every now and then.
 Favourite player: Brad Johnson...Western Bulldogs...totally committed, skilful team player.

6. Nathan Rees liked to take advice all the time. What Advice would you give Nathan Rees?
seek.com
He's got nothing to lose..make some hard even unpopular decisions that will benefit the people of NSW...he has to do something out of left field to make up the gap.

7. Tell us something we don't know about WaggaMick. Any hidden talents?
What you see is what you get....those talents are so well hidden that even I haven't found them!
Chronic organiser of disorganised mates.
Been to the last 4 Big Day Outs...and at 56 they really ar a BIG Day out.

8. Whats your fav book, movie and CD?
Book: Milagro Beanfield War by John Nichols (part of a Trilogy..haven't read the other 2)
The Movie adaptation directed by Robert Redford was abysmal.
Movie: Hooked on Westerns lately...High Plains Drifter.
CD:Thickfreakness By Black Keys a Blues-Rock duo from Akron Ohio

9. When was the last time you had a cry?
The last time I had gout.

10. Whats your favourite beverage and food?
Chilled Resch's beer...has got to be really chilled.
Favourite food...my next feed.

11. Most famous person you have met? And would like to meet, why?
Haven't met anyone I'd call famous.
Would like to meet Valentino Rossi...I like his style and I want a ride on his Yamaha.

12. Do you have any advice about life for the young fellas on the site who may need your words of wisdow?
Take risks. Test yourself. Go places. Do it now. Don't be afraid to quit.

13. Moneys no object, where do you go on holiday and why?
Europe and follow the Moto GP season with time out for the Tour De France (as a helicopter pilot or motor bike photographer), Aintree for The Grand National and Wembley for the FA Cup Final

14.  If you could meet any person from history who would it be and why?
Napoleon...I'd be taller!....would love a safe seat at the battles he directed.

15. What would you do with your last $20?
Punt it on the next Dog Race where a 5 dog is paying $6 or less...damn Systems..surely it would work for my last $20.

16.Time for a bit of word association:- Tell me the first thing that comes to mind.

Women- 'pass the beer nuts' (Cheers..Norm.."Women, you can't live with them, pass the beer nuts."
George Bush- concern...that a democracy can end up with him as the leader.
J.A.S.B- I C K U W A T A.   (I Can't Keep Up With All The Acronyms!)
Adventure- MotorBike Riding.....Adventure Rider..great stories/photos of global and continental motor bike rides...just finished reading one about five College students who did a loop of USA in 40 days on '70's bikes they bought for less than $500 each.
Excitement- watching my Pacer...Too Precious..win her last two Trials untouched and looking forward to her racetrack debut on Friday Week.
Holiday- never enough...Teacher joke!...why isn't anyone laughing?
Beer- ice cold, on tap and someone else's shout.
Gambling-fun....an intellectual challenge rather than a means of increasing income.
Always looking for the perfect system.
Legend- My wife.
AFL- World's best game to watch (only played 3 games...Warrabri(NT)..1980).

WaggaMick thank you very much for your time, it has been interesting!! 

2007 JASBTC Champion,2008 JASBTC Runner-Up. NSW Surge-Aussie LFL Champions 2013/14
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Crownbet.

Pazman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2009 at 6:37am
Your time in Armidale - did you do you teachers training at the now closed teachers college up there? and did you teach up there? I still have a very large property up there which I inherited between Uralla and Armidale which I lease out to graziers. I was educated/boarded at TAS did you teach there? 

Edited by Mayor - 23 Jul 2009 at 7:29am
Mayor View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mayor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2009 at 7:30am
I always said WaggaMick knows a top AFL player when he sees one. Wink

Great work again Kanga Thumbs Up
Mayor
waggamick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waggamick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2009 at 8:36am
Nice effort Kanga!
Yeah...trained at Armidale Teachers College which became ACAE which became UNE.
No never taught there.
Played cricket for TC v TAS when Peter Horton and John Hipwell were teaching there.
Our team PMU CRICKET CIRCUS (PMU=Primarily Mongrels United) were kicked out of the comp when one of our players walked to the crease wearing only a left pad and a box.
He did so as they insisted that we wear whites...he was the only whites he had.
The Dude Abides
questions View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote questions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2009 at 5:32pm
you certaintly come with some classic lines wagga,

love the acronym and  your big day out efforts, the last one i went too made me feel old with all the young ones running around and i couldnt do it this year.

good work kanga, nice effort again.
"it's not gambling if you're absolutely sure you're gonna win" Barney Stinson
Jolls View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2009 at 6:00pm
Well done guys Clap
Season 2012 = 102 Years since Collingwood has beaten Carlton in a Grand Final.
Go Flash Go View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Go Flash Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2009 at 2:17am

What subjects do you teach WM ?

KangaMick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KangaMick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2009 at 2:36am
I'll have a punt and say English or Geography.

2007 JASBTC Champion,2008 JASBTC Runner-Up. NSW Surge-Aussie LFL Champions 2013/14
waggamick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waggamick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2009 at 4:46am
Geography to Juniors
Economics, Legal Studies and Society & Culture (Sociology course) to Seniors.
Taught Primary for 9 years.
Spent '96 in Minnesota teaching American History to Americans.
The Dude Abides
Pazman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2009 at 10:17am
Originally posted by waggamick waggamick wrote:

Geography to Juniors
Economics, Legal Studies and Society & Culture (Sociology course) to Seniors.
Taught Primary for 9 years.
Spent '96 in Minnesota teaching American History to Americans.

I did not think you would be a maths teacher as you don't seem to be good with numbers.

I hope you have fond memories of Armidale as me. TAS being only 500m from the town's racecourse was my introduction to racing.

Waggamick - did a lecturer called John Thompson teached you, at the teacher's college? 

the bushman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the bushman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2009 at 6:21am
paz  i bet you were a prick of a child, reckon you would got more hits than the bee gees
waggamick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waggamick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2009 at 5:57am
John Thompson...rings a bell....was he 'mad' on golf?
The Dude Abides
dennis View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2009 at 7:33am

Does not make sense why someone would want to study Spanish at Uni????? why bother.  To me with Waggamic on the move so much, similar to a fugitive going from state to state, it could be possible you and your familiy may be planning to settle in Spain shortly because of their non-existant extradition laws.  It may be very pofitable to check a list of the most wanted in Australia I reckon.

Good luck.
KangaMick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KangaMick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2009 at 5:14pm
Well I can say that living in Spain was great and easy to blend in with the locals. Trouble is that the arse has fallen out of the economy over there, especially in the south. Very quiet at the moment with many small businesses closing doors and walking away. The bloke I sold our bar to has closed and walked already!  
Nocturnal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nocturnal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2009 at 6:10pm

Good luck with Too precious ,

Great stuff Kanga. These are very enjoyable keep it up
dennis View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2009 at 8:32am
Won't be long now till the arse falls out of us here in Oz as well......just lucky Rudd had the common sense to temporarily throw a bit of cash around to slowly ease the pain, and get people ready to prepare for the hard times ahead.
Good luck.
waggamick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waggamick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2009 at 8:35am
Originally posted by dennis dennis wrote:

Does not make sense why someone would want to study Spanish at Uni????? why bother.  To me with Waggamic on the move so much, similar to a fugitive going from state to state, it could be possible you and your familiy may be planning to settle in Spain shortly because of their non-existant extradition laws.  It may be very pofitable to check a list of the most wanted in Australia I reckon.

Good luck.

Double Degree...Commerce and International Studies majoring in Spanish....off to Mexico for 6 months soon.....end up as banker for Colombian Cartels.
CaymansMick
The Dude Abides
BusToHarland View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BusToHarland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2009 at 4:32am
Too Precious drawn the pole!
Also drawn a good field.
Good Luck
waggamick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waggamick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2009 at 4:51am
Good draw and she has got plenty of gate speed but will have to battle it out with Blissfulicious for the lead. Don't know anything about Rutland's horse, Storm Cruiser.
You're right though it is  a tough field to make your debut in.
I'm a Happy Girl won 2/3 and the other was at Moonee Valley with her last start Parkes win reading as outstanding to say the least.
Arrividrerci Tiger was only beaten 5 metres by Renaissance Man at Menangle and has won $23K but only 1 win from 6 at Wagga.
Son Of Lopez and Illabo Road are definitely in with a chance as well.
Gonna be a quick one!
Lets see what happens.
Mick
The Dude Abides
dennis View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2009 at 4:52am
Well with impecable credentials like that could be the next Al Grassby.
Good luck.
waggamick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waggamick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2009 at 4:53am
Griffith's not that far away.
The Dude Abides
Pazman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2009 at 6:24am

Good luck.

Don't under estimate the advantages of a second language if you want a global career.

We need some Spanish speakers at work as we do a bit of work down in South America. At the moment we are using workers from the Philippines, labour is cheap as and they speak both english and Spanish.
Pazman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2009 at 6:24am

Good luck.

Don't under estimate the advantages of a second language if you want a global career.

We need some Spanish speakers at work as we do a bit of work down in South America. At the moment we are using workers from the Philippines, labour is cheap as and they speak both English and Spanish.
VSP. View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VSP. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2009 at 7:16am
This is a good read Kanga & Wagga - funny fellas the pair of you LOL (in every sense of the word).
Hope to read about the next forumite soon.
Hey Paz - maybe it can be you and you can tell us what makes you tick.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BusToHarland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2009 at 1:11am

Missed the race but Too Precious 3rd @ $16.20 behind a 3time winner (4starts) and a Gp1 placegetter. Cant argue with that!

waggamick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waggamick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2009 at 2:35am
Very pleased...didn't challenge for the lead then had to take evasive action when Dieberts horse drifted in on Rutland's first starter. It propped and nearly fell forcing Gary to put Too Precious over the plastic poles into the inside track. Ended up third last on the fence and the birds had flown in the straight when she saw daylight and took 20 metres off the winner up the straight.
In again Friday week and looking to go 2 places better.Smile
The Dude Abides
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BusToHarland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2009 at 11:10pm

And draws the pole again. LOL RIGGED

waggamick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waggamick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2009 at 2:51am
Gotta love that system...should go close this week in a 'weaker' field with a good getaway.
The 6 and the 10 look the dangers.
The Dude Abides
Brian View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 10:40am
Awesome to get to know Waggamick!
Just amazing to find out so much about a formite.
I'm Brian and I just registered - good to be with you here guys it's really cool here.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 7:23pm
Great interview as usual Kanga and good to learn a bit about Wagga,seems like a real nice knockabout guy with a self deprecating sense of humour,a real Aussie Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic