Join up at Bet Easy - Click here - Bet Easy is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Community - Public Forums > Member Interviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Get to know- JAY FORD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KangaMick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Get to know- JAY FORD
    Posted: 12 Sep 2009 at 1:54am
This week I was able to catch up with one of Sydneys top jockeys, JAY FORD, who just won the Chelmsford Stakes on O'Lonhro. Jay is best known for being the regular rider of one of Australia's best horses 'Takeover Target'. He has also ridden some other great horses such as Hotel Grand, Mentality and O'Lonhro.

I asked him a few questions and this is what he had to say:-

Q. Where were you born, and where do you live now?
Born and raised in sydney, grew up in Ashbury and now live in Stanhope Gardens

Q. What did you want to be when you were a young fella?
I wasn't really sure when I was young but from when I got a little older I always knew I wanted to become a jockey.

Q. What got you into the Racing Industry?
My father owned a couple of horses so I always went to the races to watch them race and got interested from there.

Q. What is the best and worst part of being a jockey?
Best would be riding winners and getting paid to do what you love, worst would be the early mornings and wasting.

Q. Who is the jockey that you admire the most and why?
Darren Beadman, he's the ultimate professional and the best in the buisness.

Q. Who is an up and coming apprentice that we should keep an eye on?
Would have to say Canberra apprentice Taylor Lovelock-Wiggins.

Q. You have ridden at 62 tracks in AUST/NZ, which one is your favourite and why?
I have to say Randwick because I have had a lot of success there and won two Group 1s.

Q. How did you feel after winning your first Group 1 race, which was the Salinger Stakes at Flemington in 2004, and were you confident going into the race, or was it all pure nerves and eneregy?
I was very nervous as it was my first ride at flemington and first time I had ridden a horse that had a good chance in a Group 1 , but it was a great moment when I won and something I will never forget.
(I couldn't find a pic of TT in the 2004 race!)

Q. Takeover Target certainly stamped your name in the Industry. You have won on TT in Aust, Japan and Singapore. Which win stands out the most and why?
Japan was a great experience to go over there and ride , he won so dominatly that day and beat some of the best sprinters in the world at the time including silent witness.

Q. Apart from TT, which other horses do you have a soft spot for and why?
My favourite horse is a horse called  'gregan', he was no superstar, only a country performer. I rode him when I was an apprentice in Canberra, rode him in most of his races and all of his trackwork he was a champ in my eyes. 

Q. If you could be on any horse this season, who would it be and why?
Probably Denman, looks like a superstar

Q. Apart from racing what other sports do you follow and what teams do you suport? Big Brisbane Broncos supporter

Q. Which sporting event would you love to watch live?
Would love to go watch a Super Bowl, that would be quite interesting.

Q. Who would play Jay Ford in a romantic comedy, and who would be your female co-star?
Have to say Sean William-Scott, although doubt there would be much romance going on. For female would have to be Elizabeth Banks.

Q. What would you do if you won $1 million on lotto?
Be $1 million better off, dont think much would change, love what i do.

Q. Who would you like to swap lives with for 6 months and why?
Food critic for sure, love my food

Q. What would you do with your last $100?
It would be put on the bar

Q. Where do you see yourself in 20 years?
Hopefully doing ok, maybe retired from riding but still doing something involved with racing.

Now for a few quick answers:-     

Joe Janick- great guy, showed me the world 
Any hidden talents?- sleeping
Fav food- yumcha
Takeover Target- hes a freak
Fav Movie- night at the roxbury
Sporting Hero- con karakatstanis
Spinning Con- gave me my first stakes win
What scares you the most?- my girlfriend
If you had 24 hours to live- party hard go out with a bang
Best advice you were given- never burn your bridges with people
Fav Music- like most kinds of music except country stuff

Jay, thank you very much for taking part in the interview, and on behlaf of everyone at Thoroughbred Village, we all wish you great success this season, and for the years to come.

CHEERS 

2007 JASBTC Champion,2008 JASBTC Runner-Up. NSW Surge-Aussie LFL Champions 2013/14
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Bet Easy.

reldas View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reldas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2009 at 1:56am
Another great interview Kanga, did you know they have created a spefic section just for your interviews?
Success demands singleness of purpose
Wortel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wortel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2009 at 2:02am
Good stuff Kanga. I like the new forum for these posts. It will be moved there once it falls off the front page of the racing forum.

For now we leave it here so we can all enjoy Clap
keyser soze View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keyser soze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2009 at 3:50am
Great work KM, enjoying the series. Cheers Thumbs Up
Back from the dead.
Short_Half_Head View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Short_Half_Head Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2009 at 3:57am

Great read. Well done Kanga

questions View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote questions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2009 at 5:48am
well done kanga but jay sounds like a terrific bloke. last $100 on the bar and loved that japan victory on takeover

remember watching that race and sayin as they hit the straight they had no chance, especially when you could see it was a 300m straight. awesome stuff

poor thing to love food. must be a killer
"it's not gambling if you're absolutely sure you're gonna win" Barney Stinson
Harry T View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harry T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2009 at 7:36am
Yum cha is the downfall of most jockeys who struggle with weight...take note Micky Barlow & Ricky Cartwright, Rawillers etc al Approve  see ya down there soon! 
Strive to be happy
ilikebread View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilikebread Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2009 at 8:06am
Great work Kanga!

Jay is one of my favourite jockeys.
Build your own horse racing systems
http://onlinesystembuilder.com
Pazman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2009 at 8:12am
Jay Ford is todays equivalent of Cyril Small in the late early 90s Thumbs Up.
Botanica View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Botanica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2009 at 8:29am
mick barlow what happened to him.
Tommo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tommo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2009 at 9:18pm
Once again, excellent work Mick.  Really enjoying these threads
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2009 at 9:24pm
Thumbs Up Clap
Current Stable - Soul Star & Adivinar + Lady Vega
KangaMick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KangaMick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 7:22pm
Another Interviewee scores a Group 1 win on the weekend.

Well Done Jay!!!Clap
2007 JASBTC Champion,2008 JASBTC Runner-Up. NSW Surge-Aussie LFL Champions 2013/14
Kolingwood View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolingwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 5:22am
Successful at leading, driving improvements, and motivating procurement, warehousing, manufacturing, transportation, and distribution operations on a global level and across multiple industry sectors.
Run For Fun View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Run For Fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 6:26am
Huh?

And certainly not the Colingwood some of us know and love - and others love to hate  Big smile

It's hard to soar with eagles...

Cheers
KangaMick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KangaMick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2009 at 12:49am

What is that guy on about?  ha ha .  When I first read what it says .."successful at leading'... I thought he was talking about Jay Ford!, then he talked about warehousing, ha ha. I think he posted that in the wrong area.

acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 9:26pm
how have all these 2009 interviews popped up again ??

< ="text/" ="" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">
animals before people.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic