Join up at Bet Easy - Click here - Bet Easy is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Community - Public Forums > Member Interviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Get to know.... Saintly96

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KangaMick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Get to know.... Saintly96
    Posted: 21 May 2014 at 7:47pm

The man they call 'Saintly96' joined our Thoroughbred Village family on 12th June 2008, so as he approaches his six year with us I thought it was the perfect time to sit down and have a chat with him. In that time he is fast approaching 8500 posts!

G'day Saintly96, sit down and have a beer mate.

Q.Married,single,kids? Where were you born and where do you live now?

Married for 20 years, 3 kids, 2 girls 15, 13 and my lad aged 10. Born in Sydney, now living in country SA.

Q.What did you want to be as a young boy?

A policeman

Q. What do you do for a living?

I work in health care. I have had many different jobs, now running an anaesthetic clinic for elective pre op patients.

Q. What was your first job?

I started out as a nurse, trained the old fashioned way via hospital based training, it was many moons, and many jobs ago. I have since attained a couple of degrees and a masters degree in other fields (all health care related).

Q. What sports do you follow and what teams do you support?

I follow just about any sport. I played football (soccer) since I was 7 years old. Played A Grade until I was 39 years old. Retired last year due to plantar fasciitis (the grounds are too hard around here). I support Arsenal and Sydney FC. I played Footy for a while, played as a junior (on the wing), only played about 50 B grade games (including x2 premierships), before giving it away. I support Hawthorn and Norwood. I still play tennis, was quite good (if I do say so myself), Mark Woodforde's (from the famous Woodies), father Ray was my coach as a junior, and to this day still have a serve that the youngsters in town would kill to have. Due to tennis, I didn't play a lot of cricket as a youngster, but played a fair bit of reserve grade as I got older (with my footy mates), highest score of 79 no, once took 7-24 off 8 overs.

Q. What sporting event would you love to see live?

So many to choose from. The FA Cup final and Wimbledon would be high on the list from overseas, but I would love to go to Flemington one day on the first Tuesday in November at least once.

Q. Who is your sporting Idol?

JB Cummings a legend of the sport.

Q. Favourite horse, jockey and trainer?

Saintly is my favourite horse (narrowly in front of Dulcify and Shogun Lodge), Darren Beadman fave Jock, and JB Cummings fave trainer.

Q. Earliest gambling memory, what got you into racing?

1976 Melbourne Cup. Sat on the couch with my dad and selected Gold and Black, it was the year the NZ mudlark Van Der Hum got through the tough conditions to win. G&B finished 2nd and went on to win the following year. I was hooked from that day on.

Q. What is your biggest weakness?

I swear too much.

Q. What are you most proud of?

My kids. All 3 are unique but very gifted in their chosen sports. My eldest was selected as Goal Defence in the SA regional state netball team a couple of years ago, missed out last year due to breaking her ankle two days before the champs, but has been selected again this year. She also won a silver medal in the state individual athletic championships. My youngest daughter made the state country basketball team last year and is in a special development squad which will take her to America to play in a couple of years time. My lad didn't really take to sports until just a year or two ago, he plays ruck in his local side (he is a big lad, takes after his dad there) and has really come on well in his basketball, he does have a masters degree in playstation 3 however.

Q. What couldn't you live without?

My wife and kids.

Q. Who would be your female co-star in a romantic comedy and why?

Gwenyth Paltrow or Jennifer Love Hewitt for obvious reasons.

Q. Which 3 people (family not included) would you like to invite to dinner and why?

Einstein to see how smart he really was.
JB Cummings for his great one liners.
Gwenyth Paltrow for the eye candy.

Quick ones-

If you had a million dollars- what have I done to my life savings to only have 1 million left?

Fav movie and TV show- Die Hard/Deer Hunter to close to split, Dexter.

Best meal- Love mums stew, and the lemon chicken from our local Chinese restaurant.

Scared of- my kids getting sick/injured.

Last time you cried- My fathers funeral.

Australia- The best country in the world, wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Thanks mate, take care and chat again soon!

2007 JASBTC Champion,2008 JASBTC Runner-Up. NSW Surge-Aussie LFL Champions 2013/14
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Bet Easy.

Bright Day View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bright Day Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2014 at 7:50pm
Outstanding.
Fiddlesticks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2014 at 7:55pm
Good read, nice work kanga...

and good on you for the swearing Saintly, at the end of the day it's nothing more than a sound made by straining a series of letters together in a certain order..gooof
I'm a bit foul mouthed too...kinda love it when I catch myself out in from of my daughter and she points at me and scrunches her nose up.

Do you have one of those family stickers on the back of your car...the ones that say how many kids and pets you have..?

oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2014 at 8:12pm
Yeah...good stuff fellas...great to read
Give peace a chance
Pardon_My_Dust View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pardon_My_Dust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2014 at 8:44pm
Great read thanks Kanga and Saintly!
Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2014 at 9:17pm
Good read. Policeman pic cracked me up. That's probably how I'll visualise Saintly96 from now on.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2014 at 9:57pm
good insight.   always thought he was a pretty good guy .
yeah,,,the policeman in the village people !!   LOL  sorry saintly.Hug
i was a massive fan of saintly and a beadman groupie, so i can relate to all of that Thumbs Up
well done , Kanga and Saintly.
animals before people.
ready2run View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ready2run Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2014 at 10:17pm
Great interview Kanga and Saintly.

This is a really nice way to get to know a bit more about the man/woman behind the faceless posts.

No surprises with this one as Saintly has always come across as intelligent and knowledgeable (and yes there is a big difference between the two) whilst also being a lad at heart.

Tell the truth - there is less to remember
Nocturnal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nocturnal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2014 at 10:31pm
Love it guys, keep them coming Kanga , they are a lot of fun
The only problem with backing winners ? You never have enough on....
oldmate View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oldmate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2014 at 11:19pm
Great interview. I feel like ive known him my whole life. Will they be the same questions you ask Bart.
Keefy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Keefy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2014 at 11:29pm
go hawks
JTM View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2014 at 12:02am
Originally posted by Fiddlesticks Fiddlesticks wrote:

and good on you for the swearing Saintly, at the end of the day it's nothing more than a sound made by straining a series of letters together in a certain order..gooof
I'm a bit foul mouthed too...kinda love it when I catch myself out in from of my daughter and she points at me and scrunches her nose up.

Do you have one of those family stickers on the back of your car...the ones that say how many kids and pets you have..?

There is nothng that looks more ridiculous than one of those stickers on the back of cars. Very very poor.
"There is no Tomorrow……………….'
saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2014 at 12:04am
Originally posted by JTM JTM wrote:

There is nothng that looks more ridiculous than one of those stickers on the back of cars. Very very poor.

I don't have any of those stickers, if I did it would be the Star Wars version.
JTM View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2014 at 12:23am
Originally posted by saintly96 saintly96 wrote:

Lol - Star Wars - me too. Nicely done interview mate. Seems like you have a great family there too.
JTM View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2014 at 12:25am

Originally posted by saintly96 saintly96 wrote:

Lol - Star Wars - me too. Nicely done interview mate. Seems like you have a great family there too.
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2014 at 12:38am
Good to see you are a Norwood man, Saintly. Think Judge Holden is also, from memory??
Classy folk, Norwood supporters!!!
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2014 at 1:06am
Great work Kanga and well done Sainlty, I hope to get interviewed one day.

This is a great concept.

Cheers.
Crash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2014 at 1:14am
Great interview Kanga and Saintly.Thumbs Up

Keefy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keefy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2014 at 1:31am
Originally posted by subastral subastral wrote:

Good to see you are a Norwood man, Saintly. Think Judge Holden is also, from memory??

So Subby.. you must be a Centrals man then 

Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2014 at 3:32am
Very nice work guys ... aren't you a little over qualified for this forum saintly?Wink

Hope to see your lad turning out for the Swans one day ... just the right age that he could get drafted and play with Buddy!Thumbs Up 
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2014 at 9:23am
Great read Kanga, keep them coming...." When is your next visit up in gods own country!
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2014 at 11:47am
Originally posted by Keefy Keefy wrote:

So Subby.. you must be a Centrals man then 

I am red and blue blooded mate. Love my redlegs. Live in Melbourne, but flown back to Adelaide to see last 2 grand finals.
Gee Gee View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gee Gee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2014 at 12:46pm
Great read!!

Never been to a Melb Cup?? really?
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2014 at 1:16pm
 dismayed at the swearing, Sainters...an educated man like you...Head

you left out one pertinent character flaw....your RL team...

MANLY   Rolling Eyes

otherwise...good stuff, mate..shake
Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
Newtown Old Boy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newtown Old Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2014 at 1:24pm
Great read well done to Kanga and Saintly, but you lost me at Gwenyth Paltrow.
saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2014 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Lordy Lordy wrote:

Good read. Policeman pic cracked me up. That's probably how I'll visualise Saintly96 from now on.

Please don't, I can assure you I am nothing like any member of the Village People.
saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2014 at 1:34pm

I agree.
saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2014 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

Very nice work guys ... aren't you a little over qualified for this forum saintly?Wink

Hope to see your lad turning out for the Swans one day ... just the right age that he could get drafted and play with Buddy!Thumbs Up 

He is not too keen on Buddy at the moment, he idolises Hodge and Rioli.
saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2014 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by jujuno jujuno wrote:

dismayed at the swearing, Sainters...an educated man like you...Head

you left out one pertinent character flaw....your RL team...

MANLY   Rolling Eyes

otherwise...good stuff, mate..shake

Sorry about that Juju, but it would be boring if we all went for the same sides.

Manly was the only side to let me down last year, with both Norwood and Hawthorn winning premierships.
saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2014 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by Newtown Old Boy Newtown Old Boy wrote:

Great read well done to Kanga and Saintly, but you lost me at <span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Gwenyth Paltrow.</span>

I can understand that, she isn't everyone's cup of tea.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic