Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Gai Waterhouse

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 50>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacko1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 2:50am
I wasn't in racing in the 90's, how has her training style and conditioning changed since then?
The Insider View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Insider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 4:55am
Originally posted by Bi Carb Bi Carb wrote:

People where predicting a few might drop off this spring , given a change in the integrity landscape.
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 12:13pm
oh for crying out loud... she's lost the plot and only hires suckholes... is it any wonder when idiots promote idiots and general idiocy that these are the results you get? people who bow lower tend to be people that don't have any particular abilities, and she likes them to bow pretty freaking low! 
to the victor
Freefall View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freefall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 12:40pm
I was at Kembla on Saturday and we had a horse that was meant to run in the same race as Donelle. She looked an easy winner on paper after racing competitively at group level with race and trial form on rain affected ground.

She drew one outside our filly and as is the Gai-way you knew she would lead. Knocked up in the straight.

As far as our filly went, there is always a way to get beaten in racing. She was in the tie-up stall before the race after being washed. While being dried some horses walked past and she took a step forward as if to follow them. The tie-ups stopped her, her back feet slipped on the rubber mat and she went down in an ugly sort of way in the stall.

Although she got up without too much obvious damage she of course had to be scratched.

Can anyone answer a couple of questions for me about the setup at Kembla?

First is that every tie-up stall has rubber matting in it which seems quite smooth. When it gets wet from water or horse manure or urine they look quite slippery.

Second, instead of walking horses in a separate exercise yard, all the horses just walked around the stall block which meant that every 20 secs before a race there was a continual parade of horses being walked right past our stall.

It was our filly's first time at the races and there was enough going on in her head coping with the normal raceday atmosphere without the distraction of a line of horses walking past her. Nobody used the exercise yard to walk any of their horses.

Any comments from anyone involved in strapping or training?
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 12:58pm
Certainly not an ideal scenario Freefall & a trap waiting to befall those unaware of it. Were I aware of the rubber matting, I'd bring a small bag of sawdust to help with the non slip aspect, something many use in floats for the same reason.
Any 1st timers I've had at the races, I make sure I'm on the lead rope continually to prevent that forward step/abrupt stop, slip that can happen & result in dire consequences, also hitting the head on the beam above Unhappy. All the little 1%ers towards safety, add up but in the end, they are highly tuned athletes with adrenalin running. Rotten damned luck & so disappointing, I hope she isn't too adversely affected by any damage Thumbs Up
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Freefall View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Freefall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 1:07pm
Thanks Gay. Only one stall in the whole complex had taken the trouble to put some straw down. Before the incident I saw a small amount of wet manure behind our filly and commented on it loud enough for the strapper to hear that it looked like a potential issue. My mate pointed out that many of the stalls had similar and we weren't the experts.

I'll hear today how she pulled up but she settled down nicely after a 10 mins or so and seemed to walk without issue from this non-expert's viewpoint. I'm sure she would have been sore on Sun morning though.
James Bond Esq View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote James Bond Esq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 1:12pm
I had a very good horse once. Trailed fantastically against some horses that went on to Group 1 glory. Could have been anything. Before its first race start at Caulfield, it slipped over on some wet matting that someone else had been hosing down. It sprained its knee and never ever raced. Saddest day I had.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 1:21pm
Who's your trainer? - it's his fault! - should have been attending to your filly and ensuring nothing happened, especially an inexperienced one! If he hasn't claimed responsibility, sack him.

Similar thing happened to one I had an interest in years ago ... some pimple faced kid that I had never seen was supposedly in charge of the horse (no idea where the trainer was, he had one in on the day!). Too tedious for the kid to be bothered, so he was off somewhere chatting with someone and left the 2 yo filly at her 2nd race day all on her own ... typically she found something to spook her and reared awkwardly, fell over, out in a paddock for 3 months. Based on some excellent trials, she was favourite for that early season 2 yo race at Rosehill, and she had beaten the eventual winner home her only start - not sure what a Saturday city win for a 2 yo filly was worth back then, but it also helps the residual value - needless to say, she was never the same after!

When I finally tracked down the trainer, he just had his normally dopey look on his face, and said it was awful bad luck - it was in fact awful management and the trainers fault - absolute amateur he was, still going around at the provincials and still struggles to train a winner. 

Now this would never happen with one of hers ... by the time they are ready to race, they have been barrier trialed and worked to within an inch of their lives, and just happy to be able to stand still in a stall for an hour!Dead

In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

Certainly not an ideal scenario Freefall & a trap waiting to befall those unaware of it. Were I aware of the rubber matting, I'd bring a small bag of sawdust to help with the non slip aspect, something many use in floats for the same reason.
Any 1st timers I've had at the races, I make sure I'm on the lead rope continually to prevent that forward step/abrupt stop, slip that can happen & result in dire consequences, also hitting the head on the beam above Unhappy. All the little 1%ers towards safety, add up but in the end, they are highly tuned athletes with adrenalin running. Rotten damned luck & so disappointing, I hope she isn't too adversely affected by any damage Thumbs Up

These ARE the attributes that make a LEADING LADY TRAINER!Clap
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 1:43pm
I've always said that 80%of training racehorses comes down to commonsense. How often have I seen comments from supposed 'lay' ppl & remarks on here that are so incredibly true or sensible, only to be qualified by "But I'm not a trainer or no expert" You don't need to be, just bear in mind the damned things are so wound up they'll break a leg without thinking, so it's our job to minimise the bloody risk. I get so wild when seeing accidents waiting to happen because the owner foots the bill every time & is usually fobbed off with some b@#$! bad luck story.............never mind the fate of the horse whose fault it was not Angry
Hosing water in ears is one of my major hates & booting it in the guts or face when it's been good enough to allow itself to be caught after the rider's fallen off Disapprove
Looney View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by SkyDancer SkyDancer wrote:

in all seriousness Larry had some issues, A post-race 
veterinary examination of Laidback Larry, which weakened in the straight, revealed the 
gelding to be displaying cardiac arrhythmia. Stable representative Mr M Newnham was 
advised that Laidback Larry must trial to the satisfaction of the Stewards and further a 
veterinary clearance, including the results of an ECG, would be required prior to that barrier 
trial.

Oh what a shock, Gai is actually going to have to send a horse to the trials. I am surprised she knows what a trial is. Wink

Had some issues Clap

He a bruised hoof and burst an abscess last Wednesday week, back up the very next day in the Wyong Cup and managed to just beat the Clerk of the Course's horse home.
Then backs up again on Saturday - but this time the Clerk of the Course's horse beat him home.

Disgraceful training performance. But the total blame must go to the stewards for allowing this to happen - but they won't touch her. 

AGAIN - the Punters weren't informed by the media about Laidback Larry's problems.

NSW Racing clearly needs a new Sheriff at the helm that even remotely things about the poor Punter.
Looney View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by Sunline Sunline wrote:

Couldn't find the Gai thread - can only assume it was closed by VSP.

Anyone else notice Greatwood and the one she declared will win the Caulfield Cup Laidback Larry were 1st and 2nd around the turn, before finishing 2nd last and last - some distance from the Waller trained He's Your Man?

It's very obvious that who ever runs this forum is a Gai Lover.
If you want this thread to stay open - keep it ALL positive and what ever you do DO NOT tell the truth behind Gai's horses. 
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by Freefall Freefall wrote:

I was at Kembla on Saturday and we had a horse that was meant to run in the same race as Donelle. She looked an easy winner on paper after racing competitively at group level with race and trial form on rain affected ground.

She drew one outside our filly and as is the Gai-way you knew she would lead. Knocked up in the straight.

As far as our filly went, there is always a way to get beaten in racing. She was in the tie-up stall before the race after being washed. While being dried some horses walked past and she took a step forward as if to follow them. The tie-ups stopped her, her back feet slipped on the rubber mat and she went down in an ugly sort of way in the stall.

Although she got up without too much obvious damage she of course had to be scratched.

Can anyone answer a couple of questions for me about the setup at Kembla?

First is that every tie-up stall has rubber matting in it which seems quite smooth. When it gets wet from water or horse manure or urine they look quite slippery.

Second, instead of walking horses in a separate exercise yard, all the horses just walked around the stall block which meant that every 20 secs before a race there was a continual parade of horses being walked right past our stall.

It was our filly's first time at the races and there was enough going on in her head coping with the normal raceday atmosphere without the distraction of a line of horses walking past her. Nobody used the exercise yard to walk any of their horses.

Any comments from anyone involved in strapping or training?

your filly will have to get used to the situation...although some tracks like Rosehill, R'wick and Gosford have separate waking circles, horses still get walked along in front of the stalls...if she continues to be fractious you can ask for a quiet stall well away...quite a few trainers do this...

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
Freefall View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freefall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 3:54pm
I'm sorry to hijack a Gai thread but our filly has pulled up 100% after her dramas on Saturday and we've nominated for a 1200m Maiden at Kembla this Saturday. Against open age and sex unfortunately rather than the 3yo fillies race last Sat but the upside is we don't have to take on Waterhouse, O'Shea, Pride, Ryan, Baker or Pfieffer either with their lightly raced 3yo's.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by Looney Looney wrote:

Anyone else notice Greatwood and the one she declared will win the Caulfield Cup Laidback Larry were 1st and 2nd around the turn, before finishing 2nd last and last - some distance from the Waller trained He's Your Man?

If you want this thread to stay open - keep it ALL positive and what ever you do DO NOT tell the truth behind Gai's horses. 

Truth is one thing, slander another, so anyone who wants to post potential litigious information better forward their full details to The Mayor along with an acceptance to bear full responsibility for any financial repercussions.
There are many negative posts both here & in numerous other 'Gai' threads but when their numbers are overtaken by potentially defaming ones, it's easier for mods to simply remove the thread. We're not paid, so don't feel obliged to spend hours removing posts that should not be here in the 1st place Stern Smile
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by James Bond Esq James Bond Esq wrote:

I had a very good horse once. Trailed fantastically against some horses that went on to Group 1 glory. Could have been anything. Before its first race start at Caulfield, it slipped over on some wet matting that someone else had been hosing down. It sprained its knee and never ever raced. Saddest day I had.

Saddest day until Kim Kardashian leaves Oz....
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Bond Esq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 4:32pm
Kim Kardashian is an over-rated media personality who I have exposed as horridly evil to this world.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Bond Esq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 4:33pm
But it is not Kim that is evil, it is the media and their hapless obsession with meaningless absurd things.
Looney View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 8:40pm
You'll ALL be happy to learn of this...but all too late...

Laidback Larry

Current - 13-Sep-2014, Not To Race (Vet Certificate)
Looney View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

Truth is one thing, slander another, so anyone who wants to post potential litigious information better forward their full details to The Mayor along with an acceptance to bear full responsibility for any financial repercussions.
There are many negative posts both here & in numerous other 'Gai' threads but when their numbers are overtaken by potentially defaming ones, it's easier for mods to simply remove the thread. We're not paid, so don't feel obliged to spend hours removing posts that should not be here in the 1st place Stern Smile

I have never seen anyone making a false spoken statement about horses trained out of Tulloch Lodge. 
Posters have just been stating the true proven facts of what goes on....but forum just like this one keep deleting threads. 
BlackKnight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 10:00pm
1. The onus is on the defendant in a defamation case to prove that the material published is "substantially true".
2. Litigation is expensive and even if you win a defamation case as a defendant you'll end up out of pocket, and possibly significantly so.

Sometimes I think the mods take a slightly over cautious approach, but you can't blame them in Australia's increasingly litigious landscape.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 10:20pm

I have never seen anyone making a false spoken statement about horses trained out of Tulloch Lodge. 
Posters have just been stating the true proven facts of what goes on....but forum just like this one keep deleting threads. 

And why do you think that is? Mods remove the offensive thread as fast as it comes thru' but when there's a barrage of them it becomes too much to stay on top of, especially late at night, so the thread is then hidden.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by SkyDancer SkyDancer wrote:

I think Gai seriously needs to consider retirement. Tom now on the big bucks, he can pay her to be his nanny and she can sell Tulloch Lodge to Waller on the condition that she takes Michelangelo because not even waller could improve him.

LOLI hear their is a facebook page now, asking who can run slower than Michelangelo ??
animals before people.
Kylez View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2014 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by Freefall Freefall wrote:

I'm sorry to hijack a Gai thread but our filly has pulled up 100% after her dramas on Saturday and we've nominated for a 1200m Maiden at Kembla this Saturday. Against open age and sex unfortunately rather than the 3yo fillies race last Sat but the upside is we don't have to take on Waterhouse, O'Shea, Pride, Ryan, Baker or Pfieffer either with their lightly raced 3yo's.

Signature Miss?

I heard from a friend who was talking to the trainer that day and apparently the incident was very minor but you can't beat the stewards ruling, I guess.

Kerry's a great trainer and bloke, you've made the right choice. Is your filly one of the ones previously trained by G.Walter? I know he received a decent batch from his stable as Guy had quite a good opinion of him as a trainer. He's particular good with training stayers, my father has a couple of horses with Kerry, one of which has had some decent success in the city. It's been great fun.

Good luck with your filly
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2014 at 6:09pm

Incorrect
Bi Carb View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi Carb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2014 at 6:17pm
Its all becoming embarrassing for her.
But she is so on herself she wont even be aware.
Freefall View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freefall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2014 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by Kylez Kylez wrote:

Signature Miss?

I heard from a friend who was talking to the trainer that day and apparently the incident was very minor but you can't beat the stewards ruling, I guess.

Kerry's a great trainer and bloke, you've made the right choice. Is your filly one of the ones previously trained by G.Walter?

Kylez, it ended up being minor but had the potential to be a disaster. She was on her back with a leg up over the stall. We were lucky. Yes, she was with Guy Walter originally who grew up with most of the owners. I hope you're right about KP. Guy did have an opinion of him and was always pleased for him when he had success.
marble View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2014 at 9:19pm
she still might win the melbourne cup - not many have done that 2 years in a row
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2014 at 9:30pm
 has set the women's movement back a few years by her admission in Geraldine Doogue's new book "The Climb" that it is a man's world and she has to pander to their egos..

Angry 
Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2014 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by jujuno jujuno wrote:

has set the women's movement back a few years by her admission in Geraldine Doogue's new book "The Climb" that it is a man's world and she has to pander to their egos..

Angry 

You read a book by Geraldine Doogue??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 50>