Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Gai Waterhouse

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 50>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gai Waterhouse
    Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 10:25pm
Couldn't find the Gai thread - can only assume it was closed by VSP.

Anyone else notice Greatwood and the one she declared will win the Caulfield Cup Laidback Larry were 1st and 2nd around the turn, before finishing 2nd last and last - some distance from the Waller trained He's Your Man?

Sunline...simply supreme
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 10:29pm
 yes, I noticed...

LL was a very long last...not surprisingly...

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 10:29pm
I think Gai seriously needs to consider retirement. Tom now on the big bucks, he can pay her to be his nanny and she can sell Tulloch Lodge to Waller on the condition that she takes Michelangelo because not even waller could improve him.
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 10:31pm
in all seriousness Larry had some issues, A post-race 
veterinary examination of Laidback Larry, which weakened in the straight, revealed the 
gelding to be displaying cardiac arrhythmia. Stable representative Mr M Newnham was 
advised that Laidback Larry must trial to the satisfaction of the Stewards and further a 
veterinary clearance, including the results of an ECG, would be required prior to that barrier 
trial.

Oh what a shock, Gai is actually going to have to send a horse to the trials. I am surprised she knows what a trial is. Wink
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 10:34pm
Why doesn't Mark Shean say "Gai told us months ago that Laidback Larry would win the Caulfield Cup" every time he runs last?

She declares that many she was bound to snag one.
Sunline...simply supreme
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 10:34pm
 not surprised he was gassed...he has been used as a bunny too many times...

tillyras View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tillyras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 10:38pm
Just booked a ticket on Gai's infamous float to Warrnambool
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 10:49pm
Not normally a Gai basher but she did annoy me today. Wandjina was going to be "very hard to beat", she announced before the race. At $40. Finished second last.

Maybe say "It's a strong race but we're hoping he'll measure up", or "based on his best we think he'll be competitive"...please...
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by JudgeHolden JudgeHolden wrote:

Not normally a Gai basher but she did annoy me today. Wandjina was going to be "very hard to beat", she announced before the race. At $40. Finished second last.

Maybe say "It's a strong race but we're hoping he'll measure up", or "based on his best we think he'll be competitive"...please...

I know exactly what you mean. I'm not normally either.
Sunline...simply supreme
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 10:57pm

it's all anyone wants..honesty, integrity and care for the horse...

Ammy42 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ammy42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 11:00pm

I actually thought Wandjina was going to measure up as a three-year-old, he was only a couple of lengths behind the likes of Ghibellines and Alpha Miss as a juvenile. Shame to see it doesn't look like he's come on.
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by Ammy42 Ammy42 wrote:

I actually thought Wandjina was going to measure up as a three-year-old, he was only a couple of lengths behind the likes of Ghibellines and Alpha Miss as a juvenile. Shame to see it doesn't look like he's come on.

No problem with that Ammy. But this was a strong race and he was an outsider. It's the relentless bullishness that rankles.
room for a slew View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote room for a slew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 11:28pm
Agree.

LL was a most promising horse 12 months ago.

now he is completely rooted.

The last few runs have been terrible, yet that lady trainer continues to put him around regardless.

I heard from a mate who was on track later on; said he heard the horse had a bruised heel or abcess.
Dont know if this is true?

Wouldn't surprise me these days.

if I were an owner of LL he would have been moved to a more forgiving place, a change of scenery, bush beach etc and a patient sensible trainer.

of the few that survive her regime, the other 90% are affected physically and mentally.   
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 11:34pm
 that last line was a reference to the owners, wasn't it?

Angry 
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 11:46pm
Hahahaha, good one jujuno. Too true. Just ask Singo.
Sunline...simply supreme
Sneck View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 12:39am
Waterhouse is going terrible, just like the new Godolphin stable.
RED HUNTER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RED HUNTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 12:42am
Doesn't matter..the Dynasty ends soon and racing will be the better for it.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RED HUNTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 12:46am
As for her own life, outside of racing,I wish her comfort and joy.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RED HUNTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 12:47am
Robbie must be down in the dumps...those NIGERIANS are far smarter than the W's.
Geraldo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geraldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 1:24am
She IS trying to change.  For example, in the tips it was mentioned getting Laidback Larry to settle, so I knew it wasn't gonna lead this time.

One thing that gets me is her saying such-and-such a horse having residual fitness from the previous campaign, which sorts of implies to me that it hasn't been properly trained this campaign yet.  Liberty's Choice was Saturday's horse with residual fitness, from the Brisbane campaign.
Peckerino View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peckerino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 12:45pm
Friends of mine had an interest in a horse she trained. Every race without fail they'd get a call from one of the underlings before the race saying the horse had never been better and was a great chance today. My friends naively put their money down until about the 4th time in a row the horse finished 8 lenghts behind the winner they stopped taking the stable mail and betting. But yep...next time up she's a great chance today we have her rated 4/1....My  friends never got to hear the great ladies voice in person once and bailed out after the lease saying "never again".
Their impression in the end was she killed any chance the horse had by throwing it in over it's head instead of bringing it through the classes gradually.
This is not intended to criticise GW. It may be industry standard? What i know about training can be written on the head of a match i'm just relating a true life story as it was told to me.

whitt0 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by jujuno jujuno wrote:

it's all anyone wants..honesty, integrity and care for the horse...

THIS!
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by Peckerino Peckerino wrote:

Friends of mine had an interest in a horse she trained. Every race without fail they'd get a call from one of the underlings before the race saying the horse had never been better and was a great chance today. My friends naively put their money down until about the 4th time in a row the horse finished 8 lenghts behind the winner they stopped taking the stable mail and betting. But yep...next time up she's a great chance today we have her rated 4/1....My  friends never got to hear the great ladies voice in person once and bailed out after the lease saying "never again".
Their impression in the end was she killed any chance the horse had by throwing it in over it's head instead of bringing it through the classes gradually.
This is not intended to criticise GW. It may be industry standard? What i know about training can be written on the head of a match i'm just relating a true life story as it was told to me.

You might want to apply for a job at Tulloch Lodge ... hmmm, on second thought no, you are clearly OVER QUALIFIED!LOL

Pretty sure Lay Me Again Larry had the foot abscess before the Wyong Gold Cup, where he was the pace maker for the three stablemates, and they ran 2nd Last, 3rd Last, 4th Last and 5th Last ... would have made Aiden O'Brien weep with pride that day!!!Hug

I really wish that someone would do the stats ... surely there is not a trainer anywhere who manages to have so many run last or near last, and especially when they are favourite or well in the betting ... 

8 runners across 2 states yesterday
None placed
Two Last
Two 2nd Last 

THIS WOULD HAVE TO BE ONE OF HER CROWNING ACHIEVEMENTS HOWEVER;

DONELLE (Race 4, 2.05pm, 1200m, No. 3, rider Paul King, 56kg).
Donelle (Not a Single Doubt x Avarice), three-year-old gelding. The multiple Stakes performed filly has no weight on Saturday and finds a much easier race than she has ever contested in her life. She will most likely be pretty short as she deserves to be, but her best will be too good. She is close to again finding her best form and with a bit of luck, this race will provide a confidence boost heading towards bigger and better targets. Strong winning chance.

UNPLACED AND BEATEN 6.3 Lengths IN A SLOWLY RUN KEMBLA MAIDENConfused

BRING ON THE BIGGER AND BETTER TARGETS!!! ... MUST BE TALKING COX PLATE, SURELY!!!Clown

SHE IS AN ABSOLUTE MARVEL!!!Clap

PS: I wonder how much Pierro money Greg has left for her to "bid" up against the wall???Embarrassed
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 9:20pm
8 runners across 2 states yesterday
None placed
Two Last
Two 2nd Last

Oh how the mighty have fallen.
Sunline...simply supreme
whitt0 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 9:29pm
What is going on there. 

The real yardstick will be the two year olds. She puts in alot of work on the farms in advance to see those most likely.  If its a barron 2 year old season - then I dont know what.
Fiddlesticks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 9:32pm
doesn't matter how good they are, if they are carrying any type of injury they simply can't win...
Panspermia.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 10:05pm
That's exactly why she likes the 2yos...........'till they start hurting Smile
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Bi Carb View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi Carb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 10:15pm
People where predicting a few might drop off this spring , given a change in the integrity landscape.
room for a slew View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote room for a slew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 12:45am
She used to do ok with older horses and even horses from other stables.
So many nice horses and moments from a fair while back.
Electronic.
Stony Bay
Joss Sticks
In Joyment
Juggler
Theseo
Linesman
Heart Ruler
Stoway (an old marvel he was)
Descarado
Glencadam Gold ( just for Dr E)

Just to name a few I can remember.
Despite how she has changed now, still some nice memories.

Maybe she doesn't have the patience or interest in that side anymore, or maybe it is integrity issues catching up as has been suggested.

Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 1:01am
Joss Sticks was trained by Robert Pearse.

One of my favourite horses of the 90s. Had a few good wins on him. One day i remember him beating Jack Denham's Banner Headline when he was the favourite and boom horse.

Those were the days.
Sunline...simply supreme
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 50>