Please visit VillageBet for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Gai swipes at Sales Races

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Romano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gai swipes at Sales Races
    Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 10:38am
She has to be kidding doesnt she....as the recipient of hundreds of thousands of dollars of trainers commissions for MM &.or Inglis bases sales races, you cant help but think that guy is biting the hand that feeds her.
If she wants to take a swipe at anyone,surely its Racing NSW for sub standard prizemoney for their features.

If Gai really thinks the prizemoney for MM or Inglis sales events is out of sync with the rest of the racing calendar, why does she target these races so heavily...ding...

Wasnt Gai the public face of the Magic Millions just a few years ago?

Trainer Gai Waterhouse has taken an end of year swipe at the prizemoney imbalance between black type races and feature events restricted to graduates of Inglis and Magic Millions sales.

As Waterhouse prepares runners for feature races in Sydney and Brisbane this weekend she is lamenting why last Monday's Group 3 Summer Cup at Rosehill was worth only $125,000 and next Monday's Listed Carrington Stakes and Listed Tattersall's Club Cup carry stakes of only $100,000 compared to the value of the Magic Millions races that were run at Wyong last Thursday.

"The Summer Cup is worth a paltry $125,000 yet the Thursday prior at Wyong, the restricted Magic Millions races for the two and three year olds were worth $300,000 in total.

"How ridiculous is this?" she questioned on her website.

"The Carrington Stakes along with the Tatts Cup are worth $100,000 each yet on January 21 the Inglis Classic for two year olds is worth $250,000.

"Something seems to be terribly wrong. Why should restricted races be worth so much money?

"The two year olds will still run in them even if they were worth half the amount.

"The prize money from the restricted races doesn't count towards the majors so if I win the Magic Millions or Inglis Classic that will not go towards qualifying for the Blue Diamond or Golden Slipper.

"Why can't the Listed and open class races be worth more? It's the restricted sale races that should be worth $100,000 a piece.

"The sales companies are not looking at racing as a whole, and I find these restricted races could be detrimental to the betterment of the sport."

Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Bet Easy.

VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 11:08am
A little hypocritical but she answered her own question, in the last sentence.

The sales companies, sponsor the races so if they want to pay up then that is there right.

What she has aid is right in that it is detrimental to the industry as a whole but has she only just woken up to this, or is it because she has not won a sales race for a few years.
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
topoftherise View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topoftherise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 11:12am
i read this wondering, ok Gai, make a stand and boycott these races. 

no chance

what she hasn't said is the inglis classic, the vast majority of the PM is paid by inglis. 

the club isnt shelling out 250k

the summer cup worth 300-400k - please!
jimbob04 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jimbob04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 11:33am
she is a sook

womble View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote womble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 11:35am
she is spot i'd suggest and has probably done better out of these races than most other trainers so she's not talking out of self interest, this time

Air Seattle View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air Seattle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by topoftherise topoftherise wrote:

i read this wondering, ok Gai, make a stand and boycott these races. 

no chance

what she hasn't said is the inglis classic, the vast majority of the PM is paid by inglis. 

the club isnt shelling out 250k

the summer cup worth 300-400k - please!

Actually it is the vendors which fund the Inglis series, whilst the purchasers funds the MM series
troppo75 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote troppo75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 12:04pm
There will always be 'lesser' rated group races for prizemoney or accolades. 

That's why people target the BIG group 1 races.

It's horses for courses, I'm afraid.

She will continue to buy up big at MM etc.. so she can win these 'select' / restricted races because of the prizemoney!! It's the prizemoney that pays her owners, and its the owners who pay HER!!

Now having passed 1000 posts I feel you are all so much the wiser for my having said... stuff!
Quezacotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quezacotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 12:51pm
Any prizemoney moaning should quickly be dispelled after at a look at the UK prizemoney.
SPRINTER SACRE - "SIMPLY THE BEST"
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 3:47pm
Perhaps a subtle hint that Gai doesn't feel confident in her 2yo team this season?
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 3:48pm

I agree with her...traditional races like the Summer Cup, Tatts Cup and Carrington should be valued more...and good prizemoney attracts the better horses...

MM races are forgettable for all but the owners who take home the bikkies...

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topoftherise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 4:06pm
wrong time of the year though

increased prizemoney won't increase the field. or the quality of the field

no trainer looks for those races to win, if you prepare for the summer you can't have a run at autumn or spring. 

Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 4:21pm
Why not? When Maybe Better ran 3rd in the Melbourne Cup he started his prep on July 1, his Melbourne Cup 3rd was some 4 months and 6 days away, Niconero's last prep, he started on August 9 at Morphetville in the Spring Stakes, through to winning the Kingston Town 8th up on December 6, had a 9 week let up then won the Futurity and Australian Cup before the ill fated trip overseas, plenty of other examples, it's just that Australian trainers don't want to run their horses outside of the carnival time!

They could easily run a horse 5 or 6 times in the Spring, give them a let up, couple runs in the summer features, give them a break and bring them back for the autumn/winter...
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 4:52pm

wrong time of the year though

increased prizemoney won't increase the field. or the quality of the field

no trainer looks for those races to win, if you prepare for the summer you can't have a run at autumn or spring. 

When I started going to the races the Summer Cup was considered a top race...as was the Villiers...

it had been won in the past by champions like Poitrel and Carioca and in my time Ming Dynasty and Super Impose...as well as a lot of very handy horses like Sandy's Hope, Big Butch, Britt's Kingdom and recently Aqua D'Amore...

now the Spring carnival in Melbourne seems to signal the end of the calendar year's racing...and the Christmas/ New Year races considered 2nd rate...

hard to change my traditionalist thinking...

Confused  

Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 6:25pm
Maybe I read it wrong but I thought she was telling the clubs to lift their game as they were lagging behind in feature race prizemoney, rather than criticising sales races

This month(Dec) so far in Sydney the best on offer for 2yo's, other than closed races has been 1 $4o,ooo race. Victoria have had a $70,000 2yo race on each Saturday of the month so far
Romano View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Romano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 6:57pm
Hey Brown Dog...no, the full commentary was a good swipe at MM & Inglis..
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 7:03pm
Cheers Romano
Lomond View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lomond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 8:26pm
Lots of concern about paucity of staying talent/pedigrees in Australian racing, so maybe Gai has a point.  I find her blogs quite thoughtful.  Maybe Inglis and MM should sponsor a few staying races, instead of all the emphasis on 2YO speed.  How long before an Australian-bred horse wins our Great Race again?  Many years on current standards and racing structures/incentives.
study the charts
questions View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote questions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 8:43pm
i think she has a point but i think she will have difficulty getting people on her side when she focus's on these races.

i wish the clubs had more cash to throw at the races and at least they have been making sustainable decisions in the interests of their race clubs.

just like i hope that mm and inglis do the same. i do get worried that mm could fall apart one year and that a lot of cash is borrowed. 

while talking about gai. the barrier trial that has impressed me the most this year is the win of the " rex is a star".

she is the one i will be following.  
"it's not gambling if you're absolutely sure you're gonna win" Barney Stinson
Lomond View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lomond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 6:40am
Here's another extract from the same post:

"So what was missing at Canterbury (on Xmas Eve)? Firstly there was no one there. The crowd was tiny and there were no punters. It wasn't publicised and I was well informed that the money went to the recent Canterbury night meeting which was attended by 2000 people.

One thing I learnt in America on my last trip was that people over the Christmas period like to do things as a family and one thing stuck in my mind, the number of families who were visiting Hotel Del Coronado viewing the massive Christmas tree in the vestibule area. Why couldn't they have erected a super size Christmas tree and encouraged all the locals and anyone in general to head down with the kids to watch them light up the big tree. It would have been a wonderful spectacle and people would know that a racecourse is a place of pleasure, entertainment and somewhere to take the family.

Unless we educate the young, how will racing survive? The average age of most punters must be well in their fifties. The only time we see young people at the track is on a girls day out or major race days, and that is not many times throughout the year.

Where were the pony rides and the jumping castle? The only thing inflatable was the bar.  Where was Santa? And why weren't all the races named with a cheeky Christmas theme. The "Vinery Sleigh" Handicap, The "RSL Jingle Bells" Cup. Why weren't Christmas carols sung? I would have hoped they'd have free entertainment at least.

I don't know about the rest of the racing population but as a mother, trainer, owner and participant in racing I must admit that I really enjoy those things. When I visited York some years back when the Royal Ascot meeting was transferred because they were building the new stand, everyone on course got to join the Queen and the Royal family in singing songs close to their heart. It was a really stirring and emotional experience and last Saturday at Canterbury would've been the perfect venue for such a thing.

With the new racing board and the ATC as ONE club, there must be so much brain power and expertise to come up with things that make racing fun for the average Joe. Nearly every one of my major owners who invest in race horses hark back to their childhood when they used to go to the races with their father or grandfather. It's not something they learnt of recently as it was installed in to them from their youth and this is what we have to do for racing to survive."

What a great summary of everything gone wrong with NSW racing: no vision, no flair, no promotional skills.  After the Canterbury fiasco John Cornish should sack the marketing people at the ATC and clone Gai as their replacement.
study the charts
Ringlock View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 7:31am
By and large, I agree with Gai this time.

First, her comments about Canterbury last Saturday are spot on. A thin crowd, absolutely nothing on offer to attract a family, and no Christmas spirit at all. 8 days earlier (Friday night) the ATC had a "cocktail party" for members, so about 100 of the same old faces turned up. But they do nothing, nothing at all, to attract a general crowd. Gai made a good point earlier this year re mid-week meetings at Canterbury - why not try offering a creche, to attract mums on a Wednesday? It's worth a go. But the ATC seems to be stuck in a very old groove that's wearing thin.

Secondly, she's right about these races restricted to sales graduates. MM isn't so bad - they have their main carnival meeting in January and in NSW only the Wyong feature, which acts as a lead-up. But the Inglis series is a rip-off. You pay something like $1000 to have your horse eligible, even though you've paid to buy it at their sale, and the entries they get more than cover the cost of the prizemoney. Inglis does not contribute to the prizemoney pool - they simply redistribute wealth, ripping off the 99% with horses that are never going to run in one of these races, let alone win one.

The ATC should be boosting the standard of races like the Summer Cup - and should also cater better for 2-year-olds through November-December-January.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topoftherise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 10:45am
you are kidding right Ringlock? Offer a Crache?? what next, a primary school on course so the tuckshop lady can have a bet??

Can you imagine the backlash from non-racing people? They would go off their nuts! 

Mums, big spenders there?? do you really think there are 1000+ mums in the suburbs of Sydney wishing there was a crache on the local racetrack?? Please. 

Re the Christmas Eve meeting at Canterbury, how many people have things on Christmas Eve? its a tough day to attract people, especially families, especially families in the western suburbs. Do you think after buying christmas presents for a whole family that many of them have leftover cash for a day at the races. 

People, esp families are becoming more selective when they choose to spend their money. christmas eve at canterbury, even with ponies, face painting and a jumping castle nobody would come. 

the industry has to come to the realization that not every saturday will have a big crowd. the clubs cant afford to throw money at 50 saturdays a year so no return.

Gee Gee View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gee Gee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 11:24am
cheche woud be a bad idea.

mums dropp their kids there and pick them up after downing 5 champers.

or forget to collect them if they get lucky
bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 11:49am

Re the Christmas Eve meeting at Canterbury, how many people have things on Christmas Eve? its a tough day to attract people, especially families, especially families in the western suburbs. Do you think after buying christmas presents for a whole family that many of them have leftover cash for a day at the races. 

I remember going to randwick on xmas eve in the early 80's im pretty sure the villiers was run that day but i cant remember as they put free booze on after the last and i got sick on some green cocktails at the donny afterwards, but i do remember it was a good crowd, maybe i was seeing double though.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 9:32pm

there used to be a child-minding hut at Randwick, very handy when the kids got bored with the races...you'd sign them in, they'd play x-box and other games and were given snacks...parents had to check back every so often but it was good for everyone...my kids loved it...

Canterbury was such a bore on Xmas Eve that the girl in the ice-cream trailer nearly fell asleep on the counter...

and the food was so crap I couldn't eat it and was starving by the time I reached home...

the betting ring was like the main street in High Noon...deserted....

OneNightOnly View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OneNightOnly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 11:13pm
To Topoftherise -

It's attitudes like yours to innovation that sees clubs dying all over Australia. It's not all about mums being big spenders it's about the value of social outings to long term marketing of the sport. Too much promotion these days is put off by the naysayers spouting their virtues of political correctness along with health and safety. Things like a creche and free entry at Christmas Eve meetings with plenty of free attractions pay off over many years unlike the short term returns to racing provided by sales companies and their restricted races. Why should the mums be looked upon as customers or cash cows? Why not think about the introduction kids receive to real live horseflesh and the impact that will have over a lifetime.

For the creche idea I'd open a big parents club in one of the empty bars with cheap tea and coffee, healthy snacks at reasonable prices and a low price punters club for some racing interest rather than relying on the expectation that these parents will effect some turnover boom. Catering at raceclubs needs to take on an entirely new perspective instead of pointing fingers at other sports and their poor public food standards. If contractors cannot cater to a standard desired then be far more ruthless with their contracts.

Gai's point below is the most salient in the whole piece for mine -

"Nearly every one of my major owners who invest in race horses hark back to their childhood when they used to go to the races with their father or grandfather. It's not something they learnt of recently as it was installed in to them from their youth and this is what we have to do for racing to survive"
Quezacotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quezacotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 11:30pm
But when kids went to the races years ago there was no bouncy castles or creche's for kids...this pandering to parents with kids is bollocks, it's nothing more than a thinly vieled attempt to get parents to the races so they can bet and not feel guilty about their kids not having anything to do.

SPRINTER SACRE - "SIMPLY THE BEST"
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2011 at 10:28am
Originally posted by Quezacotl Quezacotl wrote:

But when kids went to the races years ago there was no bouncy castles or creche's for kids...this pandering to parents with kids is bollocks, it's nothing more than a thinly vieled attempt to get parents to the races so they can bet and not feel guilty about their kids not having anything to do.

Rubbish. My two loved the horses and the races but like all kids they liked something to do in between...40 mins is a long time for them just dragging behind Mum and Dad in the betting ring... from a parent's perspective it gave them another interest in life that is life-long...they still occasionally come with me and have a few bets during the year....they will never become big gamblers and I'm happy they wont...but they contribute to the industry... 

It was a great cheap day out as well at a time when after their father died we were doing it tough...and it remains a bond between us...my eldest is now thinking of buying into a horse with Gai...

I certainly never felt any guilt..

Grinnersawinner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grinnersawinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 4:10pm
Gai Waterhouse is going to use todays prizemoney to put money into listed races like the Summer Cup etc.
womble View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote womble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 4:33pm
She'll end up spending most of it there - does great in these races Thumbs Up
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 7:34pm

considering she's spent about three million there already at the sales she deserves something back...

and the crack about the Summer Cup is puerile Grinners...but then you've shown that side of your character with the More Joyous injured rumour...boy you were lucky not to be sued...

Gai only has racing's welfare in mind saying the prizemoney should be increased...she can sense it's demise if things don't improve in Sydney...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic