Join up at Crownbet - Click here - Crownbet is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Community - Public Forums > Member Interviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

G

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Geraldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: G
    Posted: 24 Dec 2014 at 8:12pm
I lived with my mother, father, brother, two sisters and Great Uncle Alfred.

Uncle and his late wife had raised my father, as they didn't have any children of their own.  My father was the youngest, and had two brothers and eight sisters.

Uncle came from the Forest Of Dean.  He had served in the First World War, and been a coal miner, the latter in Yorkshire.  I heard a couple of stories of him going to Pontefract and Catterick races. Later, he had been a gravedigger, at Mongeham church, I think.

My father was fairly quiet.  I reckon he had an IQ of about 90.  He had done National Service in 
Suez, where he was a cook.  I think he had worked in a lemonade factory.  He was a bus conductor for about half-a-dozen years, before being made redundant when they went over to one man operation.  After that, he became an assistant chef on the cross channel ferries.

In the autumn, 1975, my mother left home.  Apparently, she had had a beau that she had turned down, Arthur, when he proposed.  He had been a coal miner, was involved in an accident, and emigrated to Canada.  He had come back, to meet my mum.  Shortly after that, my brother and two sisters went to live with Nan, around the corner.  I didn't move in, as I wasn't asked, and there wasn't enough room. I used to go around most nights.

On the first day of the Spring Term, in January, I wet around my Nan's as usual, after I had come home from Grammar School, but there was no one in.  I went around a few more times, and eventually at about 8 o'clock  I found my Nan and Grandad in.  They had just come back from the airport, and my mother, brother and two sisters had emigrated to Canada, without telling me about it.  A repeat of the Morecambe and Wise show was on, but I didn't take anything in.  I was particularly hurt that my younger sister hadn't told me anything, as I thought we were close; I used to hold her down, and fart in her face.

Went home, and informed Uncle.  He was aghast - Canada was no place to raise children, what with the log cabins, and snow.  Went to bed.

TBV - where it is the Silly Season all year round.
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Crownbet.

James Bond Esq View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote James Bond Esq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 6:36am
This is a great and interesting story if true.

What happened next?

Did you ever catch up with your brothers and sisters again.

Did you ever talk to your mother again and ask why?

Abandoned and alone; you raised yourself to be a very important member of the TBV community.

How is your great uncle?

How is your father?

I need to know more.

It is like the story of Forrest Gump.

It just sucks you in.

Can you write Part 2 - The Teenage Years.

Part 3 - your early 20s.

Part 4 - reconciliation as an adult.

This could make a great book.

I see Brad Pitt playing you in the movie.
Geraldo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geraldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 7:22am
I'll write something again James when I'm bored and not tired.

My mother died a couple of days ago, aged 78.  I don't really feel anything.  I haven't replied to my sister on facebook, after she told everyone.
TBV - where it is the Silly Season all year round.
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 7:25am
Be careful how much personal information you want to share on a public forum.

Believe it or not there are people who, at the appropriate time may use it to attack you
djebel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 7:54am
Good luck Geraldo. Hug

STRIKE WHILST THE IRON IS HOT

reductio ad absurdum

The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic