Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Future of cricket

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Future of cricket
    Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 7:32am
Here in Australia they only make money on series involving India or England and domestically, the BBL.

The BBL expansion has been criticised, it has resulted in reduced crowd averaged and some of the big international names have gone to the Bangladesh league rather then the BBL.

International cricket is also stagnating, the recent cancellation of Bangladesh touring here on commercial grounds is an example.

The reduction of the 50 over world cup to 10 teams (to maximize India's number of games) is so shortsighted its not funny and the class systen of Test/ODI/T20I status is also shortsighted, it's an elitist approach that isn't going to help grow the game at all.

I think cricket is built on a house of cards and it all could easily fall over, thoughts?
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 7:55am
Many if not most of the BBL games were duds. Slow scoring due to poor pitches or a few wickets lost which results in a snooze feat. They need to try something to reinvigorate the game. People want to see big scores in this format. Let’s see a rule change - every player other than the wicket keeper must bowl 2 overs each.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 7:59am
I am a fossil of a dinosaur who is only interested in one form of cricket- Test cricket. Anything short of that I'd much rather watch MLB.
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 8:09am
But frankly I am amazed that Test cricket has survived this long. A five day sport which might not produce a winner- absolutely bonkers.Wacko Frankly I amazed that I like it.  But only if it looks like being a contest. I didn't watch of ball of the Bangla Desh series.

Simon Cameron

Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 8:17am
I think one of the white ball formats, maybe 50 over as it seems to be the most on the nose. There also needs to be more context to series, the ashes for example has history on it's side to keep people interested but the recent Sri Lanka series had absolutely no context, I doubt casual cricket fans will remember it even happened bu next summer.

Maybe splitting teams into 4 team divisions, 3 or even 5 match series both home and away over a 3 year period, points awarded for both individual matches and overall series, at the end of the period last in div 1 relegated to div 2, div 2 winner comes up, 3rd in div 1 hosts a 1 off play off test vs div 2 second for a spot in div 1, the same rolling down through the divisions.

Playing over 3 years and with 3 test series would still allow series such as the Ashes to be played.

Current divisions would be Div 1. India, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia. Div 2 England, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, West Indies. Div 3 Zimbabwe, Bangladesh, Afghanistan, Ireland.

Could even allow some of the current non test nations to make up lower divisions.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 10:48pm
India has been running cricket for years - we don't really get a say on anything outside of our own domestic comps. I will watch any form of the game, but the BBL seems to have gone on a bit longer this season? Not sure if it has but it seems like it - I was over it weeks ago.
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 3:00am
Test cricket is the only form of cricket, the rest is all Mickey Mouse stuff
EAD
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 5:07am
Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

India has been running cricket for years - we don't really get a say on anything outside of our own domestic comps. I will watch any form of the game, but the BBL seems to have gone on a bit longer this season? Not sure if it has but it seems like it - I was over it weeks ago.

BBL expanded to a 14 round season this year.
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 5:09am
Originally posted by TIGER TIGER wrote:

I agree but series like the recent Sri Lanka series do not help the cause, test cricket is only compelling viewing if all 4 results are still realistically possible in the 4th innings, the first SL test was over after the second innings and the 2nd by stumps day 1.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 6:02am
If Murdoch has bought the rights to Australian cricket to prop up Foxtel the game is in trouble here.

A number of games solely on pay tv this year was probably to gauge public reaction before deciding what to do the next few years. 

Foxtel left behind as Australians move to subscription video says Roy Morgan Research.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 7:32am
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

But frankly I am amazed that Test cricket has survived this long. A five day sport which might not produce a winner- absolutely bonkers.Wacko Frankly I amazed that I like it.  But only if it looks like being a contest. I didn't watch of ball of the Bangla Desh series.

Oh, it was Sri Lanka not Bangladesh. That's how little interest I had in it

The trouble with cricket is that hardly any serious sporting nations play it at a serious level.

Simon Cameron

TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 7:50am
Originally posted by Afros Afros wrote:

Originally posted by TIGER TIGER wrote:

I agree but series like the recent Sri Lanka series do not help the cause, test cricket is only compelling viewing if all 4 results are still realistically possible in the 4th innings, the first SL test was over after the second innings and the 2nd by stumps day 1.

The series against India was amazing, was down to the wire all the way, that's what true test cricket is all about

Yes the series against Sri Lanka wasn't the greatest, I'd prefer if Australia had played 5 traditional tests against India and had scrapped the Sri Lanka tests
EAD
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 11:03am
AH Miss Perry your a delight to watch, classy lady.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 10:11am
The ladies play so much better than the men.   They just get on with it , no mucking about, sledging, playing with their balls, time wasting, etc etc. 
animals before people.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 12:12pm
Very true AA, ......like one hand clapping was the response I got for that little bit of berly I threw out lol, appears not many here watched her maiden ODI century 107 n.o. she's our female version of the great Keith Miller, they don't come along very often and when they do, it's poetry in motion imo.
Redemption View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 12:15pm
Anyone know how bad the BBL crowds were this year?
So many games had empty stadiums.
Has the novelty worn off already?
2 years ago and last year, even the SCG was almost packed.
This year, games at SCG, MCG, Docklands, barely anyone there.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 12:50pm
LOL Keith Miller came from these parts I believe ??
animals before people.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 3:53pm
Only 45,000 people attended the first test against Pakistan. Well probably only about 30,000 as more than many tragics and members would have attended on more than one day.  Compared with, for example, 65,000 or more on the very first day alone of a Melbourne test.

From a financial viewpoint there's absolutely no question the Gabba should immediately cease as a test venue.  But that won't happen because it's the ideal venue to dominate more northern hemisphere teams playing their first test under Oz conditions.  DeadWink
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 5:19pm
I wouldn't bother watching the Pakis either.
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 5:20pm
Though you'd willingly sell them falafel.LOL
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 5:23pm
Business is business.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 5:26pm
So how many do you think will turn up to watch Pakistan in Melbourne, genius?

Ooops, your not comparing apples with falafels are you SC?Embarrassed
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 5:28pm
Guaranteed to meet the total attendance in Brisbane on the very first day. Or two.  Wink
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

So how many do you think will turn up to watch Pakistan in Melbourne, genius?

Ooops, your not comparing apples with falafels are you SC?Embarrassed

Are you sure the Pakis are going to show up in Melbourne? I thought this was a two Test series...

I think the NZ is in Melb. and that should be bit better competition for our lads....
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 5:36pm
WHALE!!! ... clean up in aisle one!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 5:43pm
Well corrected Brudder.  Thumbs Up

So I'll retract, and simply say every single first day crowd in a Melbourne test match will attract more spectators than in an entire test in Brisbane.

It's on record that Brisbane's been an attendance cesspit for quite some time, and its future has been seriously questioned.  Until the win at all costs crew pointed out we never get beaten there.  Wink 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 6:12pm
Here you are Doc, although facts have never proven to be of any use to you.

Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 7:50pm
I used to go to the Gabba test every year, seen the likes of the West Indies there, those tests are dreadful from a spectator point of view, dull contest, dull atmosphere, expensive food and drink. We only go to the Ashes these days as they at least have the Barmy Army to make it a fun day out. The Gabbas tendency to produce one sided contests and being a difficult venue to get to and from also don't help.
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 8:35pm
Need to try something different with test matches. Make them 4 days with 4 sessions per day.
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 9:21pm
Was interesting to see the India Bangladesh played at Eden Gardens as a day night game.

Test cricket crowds in India have been on the wane but that one was sold out for the first 3 days. Match only lasted until lunch on the 3rd day.

Maybe the Indians will now agree to day night games here next year.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>