Join up at Crownbet - Click here - Crownbet is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page - Australia's Premier Online Horse Racing Community. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. Also follow @Villagebet on Twitter for racing tips. Sign up for the village newsletter by clicking here: Newsletter Signup. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Foxwedge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andynr123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2010 at 9:21pm
Well I wouldn't call it outstanding Wortel - he beat Borehole by 1.3L.

Aerobatics beat him by 4.8L.

And your girl Karuta Queen beat him by 4.2L.

Obviously he'll get better with race experience, but maybe he'll be better as a 3yo. Satin Shoes definitely looks more like a 2yo.
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Crownbet.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2010 at 9:42pm
I think sometimes we can get a bit wrapped up in figures, when we should just be using our eyes.

From what I could see he is a lovely big colt that is still learning what it is all about. If you consider the fact that most 2yo's improve a couple of lengths after their debut,  also the colt did not get the rail to assist him with tractability, and O'Shea still has blinkers up his sleeve I reckon his performance was outstanding.

I've seen many a 2yo become a star in spite of seemingly poor debut sectionals or opposition. He will a much more formidable horse next time.

As for the 'better ones coming' comment.... perhaps, but there is always a better one in the paddock, i'll take what I can see ;-)
andynr123 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andynr123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2010 at 9:45pm
I think the difference between him and his rivals is that he looks to me like he'll go on as a 3yo whereas many won't.

As for the point about poor opposition, too true - I made that judgement about Pressday, was not impressed at all with his debut run and he turned out alright.

I'm still yet to be sold on Foxwedge, but I think he'll be a Caulfield Guineas horse this time next year.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2010 at 9:56pm

The other pointer is the jockeys.

Now I know that jockeys are notoriously bad judges when it comes to choosing mounts, however when two hoops the calibre of Rawiller and Brown publicly haggle over an unraced horse it is a decent pointer of that horse's ability.

Brown's comments about his motor post race, were also very significant...
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 8:16pm
This colt trialled today. He further confirmed why I don't rate him. Just an average trial. Did a bit wrong so some improvement there but he was under pressure in the straight and still couldn't win. Beaten by a God's Own having its first trial - San Jose.

Can't have him in the Slipper.
Sunline...simply supreme
andynr123 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andynr123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 10:58am
Very nice win today. The Batemans are lucky this year, they have two nice Slipper contenders. The filly is better IMO.

Honestly? I'd probably say that race won't figure come Slipper time but who knows.

Foxwedge would be the only horse in the race to figure in the Slipper, that's for sure.
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 11:08am
He won't see which way Sepoy goes!
Sunline...simply supreme
andynr123 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andynr123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 11:13am
Hear hear.
dishlicker View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dishlicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 11:35am
Good win....heard he has plenty, plenty of improvement....still Sepoys to lose
whatashotbyseve View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whatashotbyseve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 12:12pm
Disappointed Defiant Dame wasn't there. Would have beaten both easily in my opinion - beat Hallowell Belle who was excellent in the Diamond last week then ran 3rd to Karuta Queen - would have tied in a lot of form. Foxwedge looks above average but not Slipper class. 
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2011 at 6:49am
I don't normally like talking up shortish favourites, but looking on unitab fixed price for tomorrow at Randwick he is $2.10, surely the bet of the weekend at that price against a small field like that, with form around Helmet, Smart Missile and Manawanui?
VPI View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VPI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2011 at 10:08am
To be helpful I will say you can get better everywhere else.

To be a nark I'll say there's already a Foxwedge thread.
@value_punter
princerubiton View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princerubiton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2011 at 10:30am
Andy usually merges mine.

have to agree though Karuta queen has franked the form.

correctweight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote correctweight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2011 at 10:53am
Will probably win but it won't be a comfortable one.
andynr123 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andynr123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2011 at 11:06am
Sorry guys, just checked into my hotel in Melbourne - I'll merge it now.

For the record PR, I know you are a serial offender so I'm on the lookout now :P

It just makes it easier for people to follow if they are posted in the one thread.
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2011 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by VPI VPI wrote:

I searched but couldn't find a thread for him Embarrassed I did think it was strange there not being one!

Yeah not hard to find better prices then unitab LOL I was expecting to see him at something around $1.70 considering who he's up against and the form around him...
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote correctweight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2011 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by correctweight correctweight wrote:

Will probably win but it won't be a comfortable one.

Ended up having a decent bet on him with the huge support behind him and that is really uncomfortable Angry
Quezacotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quezacotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2011 at 1:26pm
Nash + spurs = ears back on Foxwedge...gets a win, couldn't have him in anything else this spring though.
SPRINTER SACRE - "SIMPLY THE BEST"
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote correctweight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2011 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by Quezacotl Quezacotl wrote:

Nash + spurs = ears back on Foxwedge...gets a win, couldn't have him in anything else this spring though.

Exactly wasn't very impressive or anything.
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2011 at 1:38pm
That's his level for sure, king of the B-graders!
VPI View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VPI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2011 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by Afros Afros wrote:

Originally posted by VPI VPI wrote:

I searched but couldn't find a thread for him Embarrassed I did think it was strange there not being one!

Yeah not hard to find better prices then unitab LOL I was expecting to see him at something around $1.70 considering who he's up against and the form around him...
As least he won, that's the main thing!
@value_punter
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2011 at 8:03pm
If I was Masthead's jockey I'd be embarrassed coming back to scale. And if I was the owner of Masthead I'd be asking the jockey why Rawiller looked to be lifting his mount two to our one!
Sunline...simply supreme
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2011 at 8:54pm
I've mixed this scenario up with the Pierro ride lol!
Sunline...simply supreme
flogger View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2011 at 10:14am
I found this article from somewhere. I thought it's worth a share.

The John O’Shea trained Foxwedge has been heavily backed at Sportingbet Australia to turn the tables on Smart Missile and cause an upset in the Golden Rose.

Sportingbet Australia CEO Michael Sullivan said Foxwedge had shortened from $9.00 to $7.00 in the past 24 hours on the back of some big bets.

“We took one bet to win $20,000 at $9.00 and the money has kept coming for him,” Sullivan said.

“It is no real surprise given Smart Missile only just nabbed him on the line last start and he is $1.80 while Foxwedge was $9.00.

“The race could well be run to suit Foxwedge too given the small speed and potentially a lack of speed which could make it very hard for Smart Missile to finish the way he did last start.”

Sullivan said there had been little money around for the favourite so far but he had little doubt the big punters would step in before Saturday.

“He was off the map first up and while he has eased from $1.70 to $1.80 so far this week, I am sure we will see punters come for him given the way he finished in the Run to the Rose,” he said.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic