Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

John Hawkes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: John Hawkes
    Posted: 08 Apr 2007 at 3:45am
What a trainer,great day for him and silenced a few knockers who said he couldnt train Group 1 winners.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2007 at 3:56am
Well said Tiger,

One of the very best around, quiet achiever that let's the horses do the talking.

Unbelievable operation, so professional but you want them to do well because they put so much into the industry.

I don't know of a more astute judge of yearlings than Trevor Lobb, they often pay big dollars to get the horse they want but rarely get it wrong.

Camarilla is a truly outstanding filly and I fully expect her to go on with the job and be the best 3yo in the country. She is doing everything now on raw talent....scary.
Run For Fun View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Run For Fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2007 at 4:21am

Whoever purchased Camarena for about 800k when she finished racing (Darley or Woodlands?) appear to have made a brilliant buy.

It's hard to soar with eagles...

Cheers
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2007 at 4:27am
It was Darley and agreed a very astute purchase.

They are really  going from strength to strength and in Elusive Quality, Exceed and Excel, Untouchable and new boy Nadeem they have quite an impressive roster. Henny Hughes is also a striking individual but that is breeding and i've digressed.
Wortel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wortel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2007 at 4:49am
Backed only one winner and it qwas beadman in an earlier race. What a jockey, good stuff by the Hawkes team.
punter View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote punter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2007 at 4:55am
I picked AG in the comp but I actually backed fiumicino and at the 200m I was counting my money he was cruising, and then he let rip and put lengths on them. I was on Camarilla also go Hawkes and Beadman.
Hoss View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2007 at 5:23am
Yes, these convincing results for Hawkes and Beadman restore the Sydney stocks a bit, when all the hype was the out-of-town-raiders. The pleasing part is that they seem based on genuine merit and not luck, so a spirit of real competition between the training outfits is still in the air.

south coast View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote south coast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2007 at 6:35am
quiet achiever or just couldnt be bothered going to the races?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2007 at 6:46am
Quiet achiever mate,

He's there every morning when it counts, and has a very capable general in Peter Snowden to handle race day duties.

Saying he '...couldn't be bothered' is very unfair IMO

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote south coast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2007 at 8:53am
biggest day on the sydney calender and he sits at home and watches them on foxtel?
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2007 at 9:03am

Doesnt need to attend the races he does his job at trackwork and if he does win he has Peter Snowden who does a great job for the team.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote south coast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2007 at 9:25am
Is it because he doesnt want to talk to the media?
Slim Pickens View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slim Pickens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2007 at 9:27am
i believe he just likes to place his bets in privateWink
Who says i'm dumb?
Bagman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bagman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2007 at 6:56pm
Could you imagine Rogerson NOT being at the races?
Or how about a Waterhouse?
Nope. Why? They need and activley chase down new investors, Hawkes by comparison doesn't have to.
Before I venture any further let me say I think J.R Hawkes is a very,very good trainer.
But! The last anyone who isn't a devout follower saw a Hawkes on TV ,it was Junior giving the old two finger salute to the gathered press. Hardly, 'come racing' stuff.
Whilst Hawkes may not have to promote himself like the others do, his syndicators would hardly appreciate his reluctance to meet the press. After all, if he appears a recluse whats the point in racing with him. Whats the point in winning a big race if your trainers at home watching it on Sky/TVN?
Personally, I feel John could do a lot more for the industry other than cashing its cheques.
I don't have one
Gentleman Jim View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentleman Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2007 at 9:07pm
Agreed Bagman

Terrible for the image of racing

It is far better for the integrity of racing to get positive swabs than be seen attending the races.

The bloke needs to get it together....and fast
Daz_ View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daz_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2007 at 10:26pm
you guys are full of it, Maybe hawkes finds it better to watch and follow the squillion runners he has on any given day at home on tv.If he is at the races all the time then how does he follow all his runners ? would a professional punter not watch races he has bets in? it seems to me a professioinal trainer like hawkes would want to watch all the races he has runners in as well. If he chooses to take a backstep and let others represent the stable on most race days at the races then thats well within his right.Terrible for the image of racing ?? I dont see how it effects the image of racing in anyway. 
Lonhro View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonhro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2007 at 11:35pm
What a load of crap Gentleman Jim. Hawkes is a true professional who works massive hours trying to generate as many winners as possible out of his big stable. I know myself when i go to the races that i don't get enough time always to check out how the track is playing, etc to try and maximise the chances of picking future winners on the day and that would be one of the main reasons he chooses to stay at home and communicate his thoughts to Peter Snowden at the track. It allows Hawkes to watch replays and keep an eye on runners all round Australia. His record over the past few years indicates what he is doing works. I do not think owners would care if they spend a few minutes at the track with Snowden instead of Hawkes so long as they get a nice return on their costly investments. At the moment most of Hawke's owners would be quite happy with how their horses are being trained.
whitters View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2007 at 2:14am
It has its advantages these days. Sitting home in front of the big screen. Choice of best tote. All the updates. Wait to see who is sweating up on the way to the barrier etc etc. Can understand punters staying home for sure. But there is nothing like a day at the races though. Hawksey however can and has deputised very well. His record this season indicates he doesn't have to change a thing. Does help having unlimited resources at your disposal but then again all the hard work has still got to be done. And that is the real key to his success.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2007 at 3:11am
I am interested to know who has openly admitted he can not train group 1 winners ?
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote south coast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2007 at 3:41am

Rogerson has runners everywhere and still manages to drag himself to the races,any chance of Snowden being offered the job if Hawkes ever decides to pull the pin?

TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2007 at 5:23am
You better ask Wortel about how J.Hawkes cant train Group 1 winners LOL
Lucian View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2007 at 7:18am
Why does everyone say he sits at home?? how would you know?? FYI, what Lonhro says is correct, he watches them at crown lodge and communicates to peter snowden exactly what he expects, slight alterations that most people would not take notice of. what a champ trainer and im happy to say, i have a horse trained with him...whocares if he doesnt go to the races?? it doesnt mean he doesnt care
Sir Spence View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Spence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2007 at 7:35am

Spot on Lucian this whole debate about Hawkes is frivolous and stupid. The bloke does his job well and as an owner thats all that matters end of discussion.

Go Flash Go View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Go Flash Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2007 at 11:19am
Have to put the wins into perspective, They were a Group one 2yo and a Group 1 3yo. Isn't that hard to do. A. G. also came from nowhere this prep and it ran 2nd. As did Efficient in the Spring.
The real test will be if he can go on with those horses in true WFA  Group ones. 
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2007 at 3:03pm

A Group 1 is a Group 1 in my books and it doesnt matter if its run in Sydney or Perth under any conditions.

Bagman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bagman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2007 at 5:26pm
Maybe we could have a John Hawkes appreciation day. A day where we can all line up and shake his hand as we file past. Dont forget to tell him how great he is and that he looks different 'in the flesh'.
I do however love the 'he doesn't watch them from home he watches them from Crown Lodge' statments, its SO much better and different watching them from their.
The point I'm trying to make is people who spend thousands a year to have a horse with him wont be able to 'share the thrill' with him. And lest we forget that that is what the sport is all about.
Besides doesnt Hawkes have foreman in each stable that he trusts and that work with him?
So again I ask the question 'does anyone think Hawkes NOT turning up to the races is a good thing?'
?????   
I don't have one
Skipper View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2007 at 7:16pm
I'm not sure it's a major issue Baggie, there's 'bread and butter' owners in Melb, Bris and Adl who would never get to share that thrill with JH..It probably makes good logistical sense to monitor his enormous operation from the one location, and may even give comfort to some of his smaller owners to know that Hawkes is just as interested in the performance of their horse..

I'm more interested in the relationship between Hawkes and Snowden..A bloke who could possibly forge a successful career himself on the back of his reputation with Hawkes instead elects to remain fiercely loyal to the Hawkes juggernaut..In fact, he makes no secret of his admiration for Hawkes and occassionally gets quite emotional when discussing 'the bosses' judgement etc..No doubt he gets well remunerated but sometimes it's not all about the dollars..

Is this the tightest 'non family' relationship in racing??

silver View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2007 at 7:47pm
I heard him say earlier last week that Camarilla was a B Grader, not sure what that was all about, looks a good type to me.
Xolento View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xolento Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2007 at 7:52pm
mmmmm a John Hawkes appreciation day hey Bagman, better do one for Wayne then too Wink
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2007 at 8:36pm
Skipper

Peter Snowden is one of the nicest people you will meet in racing.When i would venture out to a midweek Warwick Farm meeting or a Saturday Rosehill meeting i would always ask him about the stables chances for the day  and he would be very honest with you and gave you the time of day.I recall one day at Warwick Farm where i had a 15 minute conversation with him about horses to keep an eye on in upcoming weeks and 2 and 3yr olds i should be looking out for in the future.

John Hawkes may seem like a grumpy old fella but his job is to train horses not give speaches.He is a very quiet man who doesnt say much and is a very hard task master when rating his horses.Im sure he does keep in contact with the bread and butter owners in Sydney as they would venture out to Crown Lodge to see him in person just not at the races but Peter Snowden does a great job at the races and the stable isnt missing much.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>