Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Blake Shinn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by Sunline Sunline wrote:

Deserves a suspension for that.

That was appalling, that wasn't a judgement of error.
He needs a substantial break to consider his future.
Sir Gov View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Gov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by rusty nails rusty nails wrote:

Maybe its time he gave it away
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 8:34pm
Tongue in cheek? 
She Knows - trapped 3 wide, not much option unless he wanted to burn her, just nutted late; 
Cellarman - perfect ride behind pace, well timed run to win; 
I am Excited - ridden quietly (too quietly for mine), timed run perfectly ti win; 
Prompt Response - given every chance, had no ping and was beaten by better horses on the day;
Assimilate - not going well enough to keep up with sprinters;
My Favorite - led at even pace, every chance;
Up N Rolling - outside leader, beaten a half head by fitter horse;
Makes plenty of mistakes and I think he does better fresh but he's no Schofield or Ford.
therealkramer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote therealkramer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 8:50pm
He look rattled in the post race interviews. Perhaps the trainer/owners, maybe even the punters who backed the fav, let him know of their displeasure?ShockedCensored
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote therealkramer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by 3blindmice 3blindmice wrote:

Tongue in cheek? 
She Knows - trapped 3 wide, not much option unless he wanted to burn her, just nutted late; 
I am Excited - ridden quietly (too quietly for mine), timed run perfectly ti win; 
Prompt Response - given every chance, had no ping and was beaten by better horses on the day;
Makes plenty of mistakes and I think he does better fresh but he's no Schofield or Ford.

It's interesting that you list Cellerman there. He was the benefit of the fav being taken on in front and he returned the favour in the Silver Slipper. Maybe things are as bad in Sydney as they are in Melbourne? There's nothing wrong with competitive racing but the next time a fav is left alone in front then you have to ask why?
Sir Gov View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Gov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 9:27pm
Might be time for him to move to QLD to take on J Lloyd
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by therealkramer therealkramer wrote:

Tongue in cheek? 

It's interesting that you list Cellerman there. He was the benefit of the fav being taken on in front and he returned the favour in the Silver Slipper. Maybe things are as bad in Sydney as they are in Melbourne? There's nothing wrong with competitive racing but the next time a fav is left alone in front then you have to ask why?

Haven't checked the sectionals but that looked to me like competitive racing - Nat King Cu races best on pace. Should we expect trainers and jockeys just to hand up easy leads to front runners because they're favourites? 

The Silver Slipper debacle was discussed at length on the Sat race thread. Refer there if you want a broader picture of various views.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote therealkramer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 10:25pm

Tongue in cheek? 

Haven't checked the sectionals but that looked to me like competitive racing - Nat King Cu races best on pace. Should we expect trainers and jockeys just to hand up easy leads to front runners because they're favourites? 

The Silver Slipper debacle was discussed at length on the Sat race thread. Refer there if you want a broader picture of various views.

My point is he was the beneficiary of the hot tempo in Cellerman's race. It had nothing to do with any initiative Blake showed. Why post in this thread if you think his rides today should be contained to the Saturday racing thread? Accept my (in)sincere apologiesErmm
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 10:39pm

Tongue in cheek? 

My point is he was the beneficiary of the hot tempo in Cellerman's race. It had nothing to do with any initiative Blake showed. Why post in this thread if you think his rides today should be contained to the Saturday racing thread? Accept my (in)sincere apologiesErmm

Try reading what my post was in response to, and what I wrote. Can't recall suggesting initiative anywhere. Shinn was always going to look for a sit. You on the other hand appeared to be suggesting that there was something untoward about Nat King Cu taking on Show A Star.

I don't think anything of the sort. As I stated explicitly I was simply suggesting that if you want to see discussion about his ride on Nationality (which brought about a few of the comments above mine) then the Sat thread is the place to look. Have another one for me.Beer
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote therealkramer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 10:43pm

Accidentally perfect?Ermm
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote therealkramer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 1:57am

Could only bring myself to watch the full replay jUst now and it looks even worse than i thought watching live. I'd have less of a problem if he'd decided to go forward early but he had every chance to settle with cover behind the eventual winner. He made no decision to do anything. When the two backmarkers pushed up and he was caught wide he pushes forward and gets the reaction from a panicking Avduffer he was always going to. He wasn't trying to win that race at all and all he's managed to do is bring the fav undone. He's ended up beaten 10L
Nick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 10:45am
Was never going to run them down from behind so why not go forward
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 11:28am
Was trapped 3 wide and wasn't going to get in so had little choice. His error was in rushing forward then not easing off enough but the horse may not have helped in that. Obviously hoped to lead but Avdulla wasn't handing up. Can't blame either for that imo. Sectionals mid race told the story as referenced in the Sat racing thread.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 11:47am

Could only bring myself to watch the full replay jUst now and it looks even worse than i thought watching live. I'd have less of a problem if he'd decided to go forward early but he had every chance to settle with cover behind the eventual winner. He made no decision to do anything. When the two backmarkers pushed up and he was caught wide he pushes forward and gets the reaction from a panicking Avduffer he was always going to. He wasn't trying to win that race at all and all he's managed to do is bring the fav undone. He's ended up beaten 10L

Three strikes. Not sure what you're watching but he was never in a position to slot in without risking the horses behind him so he quickly decided to go forward. Certainly at no stage was he 2 l clear as required by the rules. Had he tried to slot in he would have required Schofield to check, just as he was getting Gongs into stride. Given Shinn's recent riding record and upcoming races that was never an option. 

Neutrality wasn't in it for the run, the Snowden camp was keen for a good showing. 

“I’ve got an open mind Neutrality up against these class horses so we are going to find out more about him,’’ Snowden said. “He’s definitely a speed horse, he’s a nice colt going forward,’’ Snowden said. “I’ve been happy with what he has done so far, he has trialled nicely and his work has been good since.’’

Poor mid-race tempo judgement by Shinn but it was a racing incident - nasty for fav backers. Show A Star was possibly undone in a similar way.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote therealkramer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by Nick Nick wrote:

Was never going to run them down from behind so why not go forward

My issue is he decided not to at first but at the same time made no attempt to get cover. He then made a mid race move which meant his horse would have to endure two runs. Its race was over at that point and the only thing it did was bring the fav unstuck. The position would have been available outside the leader from the jump because the winner was never going to be fully wound up but Shinn set the race up for her perfectly.
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 3:23pm
there is going forward, and then there is going forward at such a pace that you carve up the fave,and finish last by 30 or 40 metres.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote therealkramer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 5:24pm

Three strikes. Not sure what you're watching but he was never in a position to slot in without risking the horses behind him so he quickly decided to go forward. Certainly at no stage was he 2 l clear as required by the rules. Had he tried to slot in he would have required Schofield to check, just as he was getting Gongs into stride. Given Shinn's recent riding record and upcoming races that was never an option. 

Neutrality wasn't in it for the run, the Snowden camp was keen for a good showing. 

“I’ve got an open mind Neutrality up against these class horses so we are going to find out more about him,’’ Snowden said. “He’s definitely a speed horse, he’s a nice colt going forward,’’ Snowden said. “I’ve been happy with what he has done so far, he has trialled nicely and his work has been good since.’’

Poor mid-race tempo judgement by Shinn but it was a racing incident - nasty for fav backers. Show A Star was possibly undone in a similar way.

I disagree, that he couldn't have slotted in outside the ironically named Knievel instead of employing suicidal tactics. Sure, Schofield would have had to ease but I think he would have without too much of an incident. Was he two lengths clear? No but he still needed to be two lengths clear to cross Estijaab-which he intended to but couldn't. But for the sake of argument, was he better sitting back wide off a strong tempo or charging forward trying to cross the leader and still expecting to make a closing run?  If he goes forward early, the spot outside the leader is available much earlier and secured with far less effort. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote therealkramer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 5:33pm
Almost $100k difference between 1st and 2nd prizemoney too. Ouch
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 5:37pm
If my brother had been born a girl he'd be my sister. It has all been said. The vision is there, the sectionals are there, the trainer's comments are there. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote therealkramer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 5:48pm
My point is, it's the move by the backmarkers pushing up which causes the split second decision to rush forward. There was an opportunity to attempt to find cover and cause Schofield to ease. Shinn hesitated and then rushed forward. What he did wasn't competitive racing so don't call it that.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote therealkramer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 6:45pm
Out for 4-6 months with neck fractures after a fall in a barrier trial earlier. Looked a weird incident-tail of the field, horse's action was weird. Good luck getting another jockey to ride it....replay in link

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 7:08pm
Looked to take charge, consequently clipping heels Ouch
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 8:59pm
Bad time to be sitting on sidelines.

Tommy Berry back and the potential arrival of Hong Kong Brett Prebble, may see him lose some rides he had lined up.
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 8:59pm
I do mean long term
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote therealkramer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 9:26pm
May be back in as little as 3 months not 4 as first reported/speculated but could easily be the full 6 months. Definitely not the sort of injury to rush back from.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 10:32pm
Unlucky but also very lucky with that sort of injury. 
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 11:42pm
That is difficult to see but did gear come off/saddle slip when the horse charged forward and he tried to restrain.
Was the horse OK ?
Best wishes to him for a good outcome.

animals before people.
VSP. View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VSP. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 9:49pm
What a fabulous effort today at Sandown Race 5, rode the whole race without the offside iron. Great horsemanship to stay on board, rate the horse well and give it every chance in the circumstance.

Edited by VSP. - 18 Jan 2023 at 9:50pm
www.snowshoecats.webs.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12