Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Historical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Stylish Century

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 2:05am
I have been through the results of both races to 2002 and Royal Sovereign and Stylish Century are the only two to have started in the Slipper and the Cup in the same calendar year.  

Sky High, Gunsynd, Criterion and Sunshine Sally are the only others to have started in both races but in different years.

There may another since 2002 but not to my knowledge. 
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 3:15am
Originally posted by Tontonan Tontonan wrote:

Well done Grey Affair. That means Royal Sovereign was the first horse to run in both the Slipper and the Melbourne Cup in the same calendar year - and Stylish Century was the last to do so.  

I believe Stylish Century has the honour of being the only horse to at some stage of betting being the favourite for both races.

reductio ad absurdum
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 6:19am
Originally posted by stayer stayer wrote:

That era was what got me hooked on racing as a teenager. Stylish Century, Better Loosen Up, Vo Rogue, Super Impose, Let's Elope, Shaftsebury Avenue, even Prince Salieri, Dr Grace etc...

For all the older folk here, was there ever a time when so many talented horses were going round at the same time against each other? For me ever since then, it's just been individual horses that keep me as interested in racing as a spectator sport. Actually that's not true - there was the Sunline/ Northerly/ Lonhro/ Makybe etc era too. I think that was the last time there were so many equally talented horses competing against each other? Feel free to laugh at me!

I would have to agree stayer ... there was always an exciting race around the corner during that era, even on the under card.

I always felt that Stylish Century was largely under rated ... maybe due to the fact that the soap opera around his owner and trainers took the spotlight away from his performances, and that the lunatic ran him almost every week!

Amazing to consider what he did in the 1989 calendar year ... 

He was a brilliant 2 yo - was his time of 1:08.34 in the Gold Nugget a record of some kind? ... maybe for fastest 2yo? Anyway, did that in January, then in the Spring he was unlucky to run into Almaarad in the Cox Plate - probably one of the best Europeans to come here, and then wins the Derby ...  and then The Melbourne Cup at his 10th run of his preparation as a 3 yo? ... he was tough but that was inhumane ... incredible that he could race on after having had 27 starts before he turned 4 ... I can't recall another horse in modern times that raced so often and remained competitive at those levels - he was never as good though, and should have been retired much sooner.
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 12:37pm
That's amazing. I didn't know any of that at the time.
I just loved seeing those horses go at each other again and again and see who would win this time round and how. Had no idea about any behind the scenes stuff or how often horses should run etc. To me those horses (Super, Vo Rogue, Stylish etc) were kind of like Wrestlemania stars - Hulk Hogan, Andre the Giant etc.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 1:44pm
And he almost drowned in the swimmer thingo too, didnt he ?
animals before people.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12