Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Stallions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Freshman 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Freshman 2020
    Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 12:46pm
The new boys are starting to be announced - so far:

Microphone (Darley NSW - $38,500)
Blue Point (Darley Victoria - $44,000)
Too Darn Hot (Darley NSW - $44,000)
Tassort (Newgate - $11,000)
Brutal (Newgate - TBC)
Exceedance (Vinery - TBC)
Zousain (Widden - TBC)
Yes Yes Yes (Coolmore - TBC)
Soul Patch (Rangal Park - $8,800)
I Am Immortal (Swettenham - TBC)

Any thoughts? I've gotta say that I am intrigued by Tassort.

Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 1:04pm
From a Vic perspective:

I Am Immortal dead in the water imo.  But then again that's what they said about daddy.
Might struggle to fill Blue Point's book at that fee.   
Soul Patch won't be commercial early on.

Sorry I can't be more positive.
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 5:19pm
You might be right about Blue Point SC, if for no other reason than the unders usually starts favourite.

That said, there has been a steady migration towards Vic farms over the last three years and the upper end of the stallion market is growing accordingly. Not to mention the addition of the very well-heeled new player in Yulong.

There is a market for sons of Shamardal, but the upper end might be closer to $25k. At the end of the day, it's not as though the Sheikh is struggling for business.
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by robbo robbo wrote:

The new boys are starting to be announced - so far:

Microphone (Darley NSW - $38,500)
Blue Point (Darley Victoria - $44,000)
Too Darn Hot (Darley NSW - $44,000)
Tassort (Newgate - $11,000)
Brutal (Newgate - TBC)
Exceedance (Vinery - TBC)
Zousain (Widden - TBC)
Yes Yes Yes (Coolmore - TBC)
Soul Patch (Rangal Park - $8,800)
I Am Immortal (Swettenham - TBC)

Any thoughts? I've gotta say that I am intrigued by Tassort.

Alabama Express?
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 6:07pm
Quick list of potential new entrants - includes all G1 winners from the last two seasons, as well as G2 WFA, SW & SWP winners.

I've removed any that are already at stud, or confirmed as since-gelded or retired. Also assume that Bivouac will go around another season, since he's not on the Darley roster.

Sire Name
Burgundy Brandenburg
Canford Cliffs Cliffs Edge
Dalakhani Dalasan
Deep Field Cosmic Force
Deep Impact Fierce Impact
Dundeel Castelvecchio
Super Seth
Exceed And Excel Standout
Fastnet Rock Prince Fawaz
Galileo Cape Of Good Hope
Southern France
The Taj Mahal
Hinchinbrook Leonardo Da Hinchi
I Am Invincible Strasbourg
Lawman Chief Ironside
Not A Single Doubt Dubious
Redoute's Choice Alabama Express
Savabeel The Chosen One
Sea The Stars Fifty Stars
Sebring Ringerdingding
Sesar
Snitzel Splintex
So You Think Quick Thinker
Stratum Land Of Plenty
Tamayuz Gallic Chieftain
Tavistock The Holy One
Time For War Time To Reign

Not much left in the locker...
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 6:55pm
Too Darn Hot is very interesting.  

At his best, at 7-8 furlongs like his sire Dubawi who could've been anything downunder if he'd stayed longer.  As it is nearly 10% winners to foals in the three seasons he stood here.  And has sired stakes winners world wide over sprint, mile, middle distance, classic and staying distances.

The female family is chock full of stakes-winners, the vast majority of them in staying races, given which if put over Oz breds with genuine speed and some further distance capability he could prove a huge success.

Though at the asking price, and considering the ordinary sale results of Darley sired youngsters, those seeking to sell for a profit at the yearling sales would need to own a well credentialled mare imo.

Over to others.
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 9:09pm
D'Argento has been retired. 

No deal done yet, but you'd have to think the highest-rated son of SYT would likely find a home somewhere.
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 1:14am
Red Hare I am intrigued by Tassort as well. Why was he so lightly raced
Did he inherit Euclase/La Baraka legs with a Heavy BB top superimposed there-on?
Are you aware that the placegetters who finished behind him in his two races are all still maidens.
In fact the Golden Gift was only a field of four
Things don't seem to ad up very well here. Was the service fee mistyped i.e.  $ 1,100 not $ 11,000
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 2:12am
I could’ve sworn I read something about a throat op, but memories - like the days - blend into one at the moment.

If nothing else, he’s a son of Brazen Beau & a 1/2 brother to Astern & Alizee. Mogador also went alright when my money wasn’t on.

$11k is a bit over the top, but there are two studs involved & they’re advertising breeding rights as well, so no shortage of fingers in the pie.
Kimberley Mine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimberley Mine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 6:16am
Originally posted by Red Hare Red Hare wrote:

D'Argento has been retired. 

No deal done yet, but you'd have to think the highest-rated son of SYT would likely find a home somewhere.

Eh...between him and Inference, I think Inference is the better prospect.  His performance level is similar to D'Argento as horses that competed well in 3yo company but failed to step up in open company.  

D'Argento's family is quality, but aside from him, it's Listed stakes quality until you get to Sizzling under his 3rd dam.  Meanwhile, Inference's female family is deceptively good -- it looks light because his 2nd dam has only the one filly to date and his 3rd dam died young.  Even so, his dam's first two to race are a Gr-1 winner and a Gr-2 winner who was unlucky in the NZ Derby and to be sidelined by COVID, and further back there is group stakes form under every dam on the page.  
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kimberley Mine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 6:55am
The following is purely on pedigree.

Fifty Stars -- WAIT to see a few foals rather than go straight away.  His dam's other stakes winner is a Gr-1 winner...over hurdles in Ireland.  With dams by Sadlers Wells, Darshaan, and Northern Baby who was a leading sire of steeplechasers in the USA in the 1980s-1990s.  A few other relatives in his female line have descendants who want to run long even if their own performance is sprinting.

Fierce Impact -- Deep Impact is a heck of a stallion who improved this family big time.  The best members of the family prior to him were the useful runner and stallion Boundary and the very good mare Classy Cathy.  Neither of them had a lot of impact as breeding stock.  Boundary's best two were Big Brown and Pomeroy.  So, how much stock do you put in Deep Impact as a sire of sires?

The Chosen One -- send him all of the Pins mares for the Waikato Stud big three.  Hard to say how he'll do as a stallion because most of the males in his family are gelded.  But Savabeel and O'Reilly with Pins has been a hot combo. TBH I'd kind of like one for an eventing horse.

Dalasan -- really interesting American family that used to be part of the best breeding group in the state of Florida.  You can tell when Tatan Farms was sold and the stock dispersed based on the stallions the mares went to see.  Other than Kitten's Joy, the mares of his 2nd dam's generation typically went to middle-tier or meh-tier breed to race stallions.  When they went to a better one of the middle-tier horses (like Jolie's Halo), they produced US graded stakes talent, and it seems like they are durable, money-earning runners.  Kitten's Joy was a major upgrade on the family.  His breeding is a similar cross as Reliable Man and I would look at what mares and physical types work best with Reliable Man...and for the Kitten's Joy would look at any thing with Roberto close up.  
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 10:59am
Pretty sure Land of Plenty died.
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 12:11pm
Yes, I've confirmed that he had epiglottic entrapment surgery, which is a deal-breaker for me. He then was 3/5 lame in the off-hind in his last trial. Certainly doesn't bode well.

furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 12:34pm
With all the colts they have why then put one that will lessen the breed to stud?  Geld him and have him as a nanny.  Sounds like too many troubles to pass on.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 12:37pm
When you consider Triscay was an iron filly.  Wonder what went wrong.
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by robbo robbo wrote:

Yes, I've confirmed that he had epiglottic entrapment surgery, which is a deal-breaker for me. He then was 3/5 lame in the off-hind in his last trial. Certainly doesn't bode well.

This is Tassort, by the way.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 1:31pm
yes decends from Triscay
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 5:34pm
Super Seth seems well priced at NZD 35K. Seriously good horse. Half to a proper horse in Wild Planet and the second dam was very quick. You'd like to see a stallion on the page but overall think he ticks a lot of boxes.
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 3:28am
$13,750 for I Am Immortal.

Ambitious.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 10:12am
Super Seth is from the 1n female line.  That family are steeped in stallions who have done well at stud (look at High Chaparral, I am Invincible, Zeditave, Anabaa just a few recent ones).  If nothing else his female line decends directly from the dam of Heroic.  Don't think too many stallions have been Champion sire Seven times in a row.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 10:15am
Also look at the record of the mares.  I think more that 3/4 of foals have been fillies and only a few colts available haven't been to stud.  Can't get sire sons if they don't go to stud.
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 10:42am
Originally posted by Red Hare Red Hare wrote:

$13,750 for I Am Immortal.

Ambitious.

Borderline insulting. I had a chuckle reading the only positive they could take from his three year old campaign was running Jungle Edge to a length. What is it with studs retiring ordinary sons of Vinny and thinking the market will cop ridiculous fees? Santos last year, I Am Immortal this year.

I thought the whole release was tone deaf in the current environment.
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 2:14pm
The figure is near enough to their other ‘artisan’ introductions, so it might be a cost-plus model?

Trust In A Gust, Rebel Dane & Americain all started around this mark before finding their price range.
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 4:24pm
Brutal - $27,500 
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 4:49pm
Couple of new shuttlers added to the Coolmore roster:

Calyx (Kingman)
Magna Grecia (Invincible Spirit)

No fees yet.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimberley Mine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 12:20am
Calyx -- $17,600
Magna Grecia -- $22,000

Hard to get excited about Magna Grecia at that fee when you can go to Cable Bay for $13,200 or National Defense for ~$11,000.  Both similarly performed and more recent stakes production in their families.
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 7:50pm
Also M.G. is out of a Galileo mare. That may be a concern in Oz
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 10:30pm
Agree that National Defense at half the price is probably better suited to Australian racing, but I think Magna Grecia might surprise. 

Being a descendant of Selene is a fair starting point, but his first three dams bring plenty to the table through their paternal grandmothers. 

I think he's reasonably well priced to meet the type of mare owners that went to Vinny in the early days.
Majestic View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 11:55pm
If I still had my Okavango mare, I may have been tempted to inbreed to Okawango 3x2. Would have that too close for turf pedigree?
Majestic View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 11:57pm
sorry Kingmambo 3x3
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>