Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Stallions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Freshman 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimberley Mine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 12:18am
Woodside did 30% cuts for every stallion on their roster, now Cable Bay is at $9,900.  Arrowfield followed suit.

All the more to make Magna Grecia priced high for *the current environment.*  In a non-COVID world he'd probably be fine.  
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 1:31am
Cable Bay was less than half the racehorse Magna Grecia was, so it’s a fair price on that scale.

No argument from me with regards to timing. They’ve got their work cut out for them.
oldflight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldflight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 11:58am
Hard to say Arrowfield follower suit with 33% across the board

Written Tycoon not theirs to set meeting market after relocation

Yes both
Snitzel and Pariah down 33.33%

The Autumn Son down 14.3%

but
Dundeel, Shalaa and Showtime all no change

Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 3:00pm
Exceedance at $38,500? Not for me thanks.
What do others think?
Typo Wink

Edited by Gay3 - 11 May 2020 at 3:09pm
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 6:20am
Multiple G1 winners Omaha Beach and Vino Rosso will shuttle to Australia, Spendthrift Farms announced May 13 along with its Southern Hemisphere roster and fees for 2020.

Omaha Beach will stand his debut season for $22,000, while Vino Rosso will stand for $13,750. Both fees include the Australian goods and services tax.
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 12:03am
Omaha Beach is a stunning individual
It is a very interesting & enlightening read when you google his name on USA sites. One poster even used a well known Latin phrase that is often used in consumer law.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 2:17pm
Caveat Emptor?
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 12:59pm
Does anyone know whether D'Argento and/or Levendi are going to find homes for the upcoming season and, if so, where?

Also, any thoughts on Unite And Conquer ($6,600 at Kingstar)?

Cheers,

Robbo
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 6:32pm
Unite and Conquer?

I'd be living in a top floor penthouse overlooking Sydney Harbour had I a dollar for every one of Gai's that went wrong as a 2yo.  So certainly wouldn't sack him on a soundness basis, and quite like the female familywhich has little trouble providing high winners to foals ratios.

Robbo I'd suggest he's a very realistic chance as a breed to race type stallion in the first instance.
PhillipC View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhillipC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 10:59pm
Bondeiger was sold recently as a stallion.  Wondering where he may be standing?
http://www.equinehaven.com.au
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 2:39pm
Would be some achievement for him. 

Was always legless with my money on.
Dizzy View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 11:30am
Ringlock View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 2:34pm
thoughts on Cosmic Force at Newgate for $16,500?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 2:54pm
Not for me Ringlock.

Others may differ.
Cityboy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cityboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 3:30pm
Do I remember that Cosmic Force had some type of physical problem (eg: a throat operation)? He had a couple of real good performances as a racehorse but always seems to disappoint when my money was riding with him.
I like his pedigree FWIW
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 7:18pm
Typical Deep Field. A couple of impressive early performances then fold like a pack of cards
The fluff from Newgate is impressive though. 10/10 to the marketing team and 0/10 for those breeders who fall for it
D.F. has even had more 3YO starters than Snitzel. That's why he has had so many winners. However his AEI of 1.08 ( Ave $30K per runner) is pedestrian to say the least
Simply the majority of his runners lack the quality to be Saturday winners
Does anyone know what %age of Deep Field wnrs are actually Sat. metro wnrs ? This would be an enlightening statistic. One I don't think we will see on promotional material
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 7:20pm
i.e. pedestrian for a $50K service fee
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 7:52pm
Throws bad throats and they run accordingly under pressure.
to the victor
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 12:42am

so D.F.s alternative name is deep froat

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 7:30pm
Following the retirement of the underwhelming I Am Immortal to stand at Swettenham, another 3rd rate I Am Invincible colt in Strasbourg has been retired to stand at Rosemont for $11k. 

Won a weak 2yo stakes race in Brisbane after placing in a big-money but restricted Inglis race, then had trouble beating the clerk of the course home at 3.  No thanks.

linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 8:46pm
It’s a bit early to start breeding to dud sons of IAI imo 
to the victor
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2020 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Following the retirement of the underwhelming I Am Immortal to stand at Swettenham, another 3rd rate I Am Invincible colt in Strasbourg has been retired to stand at Rosemont for $11k. 

Won a weak 2yo stakes race in Brisbane after placing in a big-money but restricted Inglis race, then had trouble beating the clerk of the course home at 3.  No thanks.

But he is apparently a "look and book" type.

I share the cynicism here - went back through his race record and it's nowhere near good enough to warrant an $11K fee. I've posted before that the pricing on pretty mediocre sons of Vinny is perplexing - Santos being the standout example.
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2020 at 7:36pm
Remember the add for Stryker   "looks to die for"     Well he certainly killed more than a few broodmares pedigree pages
Thought we were breeding racehorses not led hacks for the showring
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2020 at 8:18pm
Indeed, lightning strikes twice, albeit badly.  Dead

Though would point out that Robbo entirely endorsed peoples' cynicism.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 5:33pm

Following the retirement of the underwhelming I Am Immortal to stand at Swettenham, another 3rd rate I Am Invincible colt in Strasbourg has been retired to stand at Rosemont for $11k. Won a weak 2yo stakes race in Brisbane after placing in a big-money but restricted Inglis race, then had trouble beating the clerk of the course home at 3.  No thanks.  

And now we have Royal Meeting, another son of Vinnie to stand in Vic for $11k.

Won a French Gp1 on a heavy track but retired with an ordinary record of 7: 2-0-1.  His last four starts
were: last of 16, 5th of 7, last of 6, and 10th of 12.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 5:38pm
ps the record of the above three tyros beyond the age of two is: 11 starts, zero wins, one 2nd, one 3rd, 9 times unplaced.
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 7:25pm

Following the retirement of the underwhelming I Am Immortal to stand at Swettenham, another 3rd rate I Am Invincible colt in Strasbourg has been retired to stand at Rosemont for $11k. Won a weak 2yo stakes race in Brisbane after placing in a big-money but restricted Inglis race, then had trouble beating the clerk of the course home at 3.  No thanks.  

And now we have Royal Meeting, another son of Vinnie to stand in Vic for $11k.

Won a French Gp1 on a heavy track but retired with an ordinary record of 7: 2-0-1.  His last four starts
were: last of 16, 5th of 7, last of 6, and 10th of 12.

Stewards report from the Cantala, Royal Meeting's 2nd up run in Aus off a 12 month break, state that Dwayne Dunn eased him out of the race after he made a respiratory noise. Replay suggests he was cooked at the 400m. To be fair, he was 2nd up off 12 months, carrying 56.5kg as a NH 3yo having his 4th career start, first time at the 1600m.

Next three starts were at seven, ten & nine furlongs... six might've been his go?

In any case, he's got an intriguing pedigree. First three dam sires are 'the other brother', trading off the family name... would be great to hear any South African insights.
Kimberley Mine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimberley Mine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 6:05am
Originally posted by Red Hare Red Hare wrote:

Stewards report from the Cantala, Royal Meeting's 2nd up run in Aus off a 12 month break, state that Dwayne Dunn eased him out of the race after he made a respiratory noise. Replay suggests he was cooked at the 400m. To be fair, he was 2nd up off 12 months, carrying 56.5kg as a NH 3yo having his 4th career start, first time at the 1600m.

Next three starts were at seven, ten & nine furlongs... six might've been his go?

In any case, he's got an intriguing pedigree. First three dam sires are 'the other brother', trading off the family name... would be great to hear any South African insights.

Looking at the production in his female line, I'm astounded that anyone tried this horse outside of sprint distances.   It's a quality family, racing primarily at the premier tracks of Kenilworth (Cape Town) and Turffontein (Jo'burg).  And basically every stakes horse under the 3rd dam is a sprinter.

As for the "other brothers" -- Al Mufti may not have had the track performance of his half-brothers Wolfhound or Deerhound, but he did far better at stud than either of them.  Whether it's because he went to South Africa or because he was a better stallion period is a question that will never be answered.  It is worth noting, though, that Wolfhound was purchased by South African breeders late in his stallion career and he never made it to Al Mufti's level.  
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 9:26am
Correction.  Royal Meeting is of course by Invincible Spirit, not I Am Invincible.
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 3:06pm
Vinny, but not ‘Vinny’ Vinny Tongue

I had AP Indy in mind re Al Mufti, so should state nephew as opposed to brother (come to think of it, same goes for Pulpit/Tale of the Cat & Lecture), but the point remains the same. I did at least recognise the name from somewhere, though I’m not sure where exactly... the answer is only ever a few clicks away LOL

Throw in Roberto’s full brother & Royal Meeting is nothing if not intriguing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>