Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Coronavirus Implications for Racing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 15>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 11:31am
About 2 1/2ft or 75cms.
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 12:27pm
If no vital racing staff , jockeys or trainers have the virus, and they stay in lockdown at home between races, only doing what’s absolutely necessary, surely it wouldn’t be introduced? Everyone is allowed to purchase stock food/supplies.
Remember for the few who have been infected, there are millions who aren’t? People are still going to work, except for businesses who have closed down due to economic reasons or Govt directive. Racing without the public is necessary, but total closure? If people are aware of, and taking safety measures ie sanitising after using petrol bowsers etc we could get away from not having Corona introduced into this section of the community? Managed properly it may bypass us?
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 12:28pm
Amazing how things change when jobs and racing is on the line.
Sunshine Coast Wednesday
- Entries closed 9am
- Weights published 11am
- Acceptances 12.00 noon
- Jockeys declared 2.00pm
Wonder why they are not always this efficient.
Gambling has brought our family closer together. We had to move to a smaller house.
Softy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Softy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 12:34pm
Can’t say as I’ve watched any mounting yard parades recently but I presume all the jocks are swinging up?
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

Seems more about finding loopholes than trying to do the right thing. How can you seriously reduce social gatherings to 2, Weddings to 5 & Funerals to 10 & not close down the racing game. Those that argue otherwise have a vested interest.

Naturally people with a vested interest wish it to continue, but the welfare of the horses is still an issue be they race or not. If numbers are reduced to fall in line with other industries then how will the horses fare when stabled in large numbers with top end trainers. They are going to need more than of a couple of stable hands working their backsides off.
And surely it will be skeleton staff if trainers are not paid when the money dries out from owners who no longer see the point. You must remember many owners new to the racing game don't fully understand the commitment they should have to their horses.

A letter from the Thoroughbred Breeders Aust - quote part of :

'The most important point to clarify is that all the assurances we have received so far tell us that businesses that are involved in the care of animals will be considered ‘essential’ and allowed to continue no matter if more onerous restrictions are put in place on the movement of people'
Go Flash Go View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Go Flash Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by Sister Dot Sister Dot wrote:

If no vital racing staff , jockeys or trainers have the virus, and they stay in lockdown at home between races, only doing what’s absolutely necessary, surely it wouldn’t be introduced? Everyone is allowed to purchase stock food/supplies.
Remember for the few who have been infected, there are millions who aren’t? People are still going to work, except for businesses who have closed down due to economic reasons or Govt directive. Racing without the public is necessary, but total closure? If people are aware of, and taking safety measures ie sanitising after using petrol bowsers etc we could get away from not having Corona introduced into this section of the community? Managed properly it may bypass us?

IF …. they can't even saddle the right horse at the moment and the poor bloke had to self-report for it to be picked up - it's a time of great duress just keep it simple and effective …… and be patient
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by Softy Softy wrote:

Can’t say as I’ve watched any mounting yard parades recently but I presume all the jocks are swinging up?

maybe by pole vault?
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 12:55pm
Well he must be very truthful to self-report as you say so honesty is still in the game!
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by GAJ GAJ wrote:

maybe by pole vault?

Last week I saw jockeys legging each other up in Victoria.
Softy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Softy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 2:07pm
Thanks PT. Just wondering what was happening.
Imagine if Peter Bakos was engaged to ride Empire Rose in a crisis like this with no hands on.
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 2:16pm
In Sydney on Saturday the barrier staff were assigned to leg the jockeys up in the mounting yard
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 2:33pm

Thanks PT. Just wondering what was happening.
Imagine if Peter Bakos was engaged to ride Empire Rose in a crisis like this with no hands on.
Now that's bloody funny......plaudits!
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 5:27pm
Does everyone understand how this virus is transmitted, because some of the posts that have been posted show that you do not.

Due to EI the racing industry clubs, stables and individuals have been through this high biosecurity level of measures.

If a jockey, stable hand, trackwork rider or steward, or any other participant family members are not affected, and the industry remains virus free then there is no reason to shut it down.

There are exemptions to the new regulations. The way the NSW government has handled this situation has been diabolical, allowing cruise ship passengers to just walk off ships is bordering on unethical and assisting any deaths due to this action, so I would not be comfortable in the medical advice that the NSW politicians are receiving.

If participants do not touch each other, unlike that idiot from Tulloch Lodge when they won the Golden Slipper, and if the only contact is limited to a trainer using gloves to assist a jockey onto a horse, then why should the industry shut down?

I am all for implementing these tough measures but only if they are totally necessary.

I absolutely agree that racing is going to eventually have to shut down, but with the new case curve looking like it is flattening, and no recorded case in the industry due to the measures in place in racing, then why would you shut the industry down.

I would think that enough people have lost their jobs and are on the verge of mental health issues, why would you add employees who can work in the situation at this time.

I mean the way some people are talking we should be in a total lockdown where we have no businesses operating at all, and that is just not viable. I do not see people complaining that electricians, plumbers or McDonalds KFC or restaurant takeaways are still working and they work in groups of more than two.    
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 5:48pm
One we have a 10% share in displayed plenty in its first prep but was put away for his own good.  He's now back in work, is 6 weeks away from debuting, has won a 400m jumpout, and will almost certainly win on debut.  So I say keep racing going for another six weeks at least, not that I'm biased or talking through my pocket.  Wink

That said without in any way downplaying the coronavirus risks to the Australian community.

Softy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Softy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 5:58pm
Thanks Bonjour I'm sure Peter (or Empire Rose) wouldn't have minded that in these unknown times.
Mine was only a light hearted attempt at humour Voyager, and yes the racing industry has been exposed to bat produced viruses before so should be better prepared than most for outbreaks like these (maybe).

Smile
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 6:05pm
And on a more general level we've found that trainers we're associated with can see the clock ticking with a close-down imminent.

Which results in a clear incentive to push horses not yet ready to race far more so than would normally be the case in the hope of getting a result before the curtain comes down.

So there's a real risk in backing horses first up unless you know they've had a solid preparation.

max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 6:19pm
You know what happens when you say things like that, SC, the buggers will conspire to make a liar out of you !
Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

You know what happens when you say things like that, SC, the buggers will conspire to make a liar out of you !

What about the owners who will hear “shame about the cv, your horse was flying, we will spell it and give it another prep, don’t know what happened but it was showing plenty before we had to tip it out”
Some trainers will milk it, even though horses can’t get it.
Gambling has brought our family closer together. We had to move to a smaller house.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 7:30pm
Only the d1ckwits believe that type of talk Batman, however there's sadly enough of those that do for at least a relatively short period of time.

But not for too long, decent trainers needing to be upfront because repeat business is so important to their continuing/future success.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 7:41pm
The tipster at SH today was saying just that SC. Form is very hard to follow when some trainers are backing them up more quickly than without the pressure of an imminent shutdown.
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Venus View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Venus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 12:11am
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

The tipster at SH today was saying just that SC. Form is very hard to follow when some trainers are backing them up more quickly than without the pressure of an imminent shutdown.

And trials have been shifted around or cancelled, meaning horses are racing instead of getting fit.

I can’t believe racing has clung on as long as this... only a matter of time until someone is positive to Covid and it’s all off.
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 8:16am
Venus, you don't need to trial your horse to get it fit. This new breed of trainer is far different to us old farts, we used the early morning gallop with trusted track riders to beat the bookies......I can't believe so many horses trial nowadays. God help me.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 8:41am
Are they expanding the jumpout calendar to compensate for the cancelling of official trials?
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 11:57am
I'm fully au fait with the criteria re racing allocated regions in QLD, however, does anyone know if NSW has done the same with horses? I know jockeys there had to choose their region. My missus has contacted the RSW stewards asking such and received absolutely no response at all......
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 12:09pm
Not at this stage Bonjour, no news to say any different, though I'm sure it will be on the cards soon.
More so restricting the range of the trainer/stable hand travel.
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by Bonjour Bonjour wrote:

Venus, you don't need to trial your horse to get it fit. This new breed of trainer is far different to us old farts, we used the early morning gallop with trusted track riders to beat the bookies......I can't believe so many horses trial nowadays. God help me.

Maybe some trainers want to get it right - they have their strike rate to protect! Wink
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 12:20pm
Thanks GAJ, you are probably right on all fronts.
Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 9:43am
NSW Social distancing extended to 90 days, Countries borders closed, Wimbledon off, Olympics off, Football off, and so on. How long before racing joins the list? Be lucky if it’s got another week left before closure. That is pretty obvious. Ry
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 11:08am
Our curve is flattening and the above examples make travel across borders necessary. There’s no good reason to shut racing down currently
to the victor
2Square View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Square Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 5:06pm
Tasmania has suspended racing for 4 weeks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 15>