Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Coronavirus Implications for Racing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 15>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 5:17pm
The border business has its ironic aspects.

Kyneton Victorian trainer George Osborne has a galloper with a knee problem whose career record is 17: 7 -1- 1. 

Looking closer his record is:

NSW: 7: 6-1-0

Victoria: 10: 1-0-1

Presume he leads with his good leg the clockwise direction.

At his latest start a week ago won a $75k race at the Albury Cup carnival.  How fortunate he was to get that big prizemoney win!  Smile
Go Flash Go View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Go Flash Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 5:20pm
There is border crossing still possibly to go home may be the logic the penny will drop soon. 

How long were horses barred from Japan l think for instance .... well guess what ...
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 7:09pm
QLD winter carnival off and money put into a hardship fund. Racing to be divided up into regions
Pardon_My_Dust View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pardon_My_Dust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by TJMitchell TJMitchell wrote:

Not dead yet. Narromine still on as of this post LOL

Record turnover for Narromine races. LOL
Grey Affair View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 10:08pm
Mark Zahra has tested negative.

troppo75 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troppo75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 11:13pm
Yeah, good news eh?

Gotta wonder how long it will go before someone in any given state in the industry tests positive.
Now having passed 1000 posts I feel you are all so much the wiser for my having said... stuff!
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 9:01am

RACING RESUMES IN VICTORIA WITH RESTRICTIONS

March 27, 2020 7:22 am

https://www.rsn.net.au/racing-resumes-in-victoria-with-restrictions/

Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 11:02am
As an owner of two race horses based in the northern rivers, I urge Mr V'Landys to wipe 20% min off the prizemoney in metro SYD immediately and direct RNSW to program more race meetings north of Pt Macquarie......my trainer is doing it tough, he needs to keep his staff, and the stress of organising good horses to go across the border to strangers must surely stress out their incumbent trainers and staff......across the board.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Go Flash Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by troppo75 troppo75 wrote:

Yeah, good news eh?

Gotta wonder how long it will go before someone in any given state in the industry tests positive.

One bloke tests negative so all good off they go .... only stop when it's hit someone right in the face or maybe better when someone actually ????  .... then a belief may be realized that it's serious. 

There's no susceptible people involved in racing it could write off  are there ? or are there ....

There was a practical example given that was so indicative of what has happened time and again everywhere else ... it's very curious ..... anyway let see this show roll on .... Ermm
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 2:26pm
Negativity begats negative results Disapprove
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 2:31pm
Even the starting stall guys breaking the distancing prohibitions. Can't see the races lasting. But then again....trains and trams etc much closer packed.
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by Bonjour Bonjour wrote:

As an owner of two race horses based in the northern rivers, I urge Mr V'Landys to wipe 20% min off the prizemoney in metro SYD immediately and direct RNSW to program more race meetings north of Pt Macquarie......my trainer is doing it tough, he needs to keep his staff, and the stress of organising good horses to go across the border to strangers must surely stress out their incumbent trainers and staff......across the board.

Seeing the huge nominations for the few races we have now in the Northern Rivers, can only figure in what you are saying, Also a wider scope of benchmark races are also needed for some of the horses that
usually can only run in Open Country or Bris Metro class.

With the high rainfall and cancelled meetings it is only fair they address this to give all a fair go.

TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 3:06pm
Everyone at the races (when applicable) should be wearing masks and gloves
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 3:18pm
A good idea TJ, Better half and I have new masks (The good ones) we are putting on to go shopping, strangely enough we are getting some odd looks, I simply can't believe it in our present situation.
It common to see people wearing masks at the local supermarket that have a cold they don't want to spread in normal times let alone now.
The measures being taken by the racing authorities are good, but could be better with these safeguards.
Hoping to get to start soon with our maiden, and am interested to see if they spread us out in the tie ups..to keep good distance from other Trainers and staff.
I don't know if car pooling by Jockeys has been thought of, but if not feel it should be stopped, at least now they have a set jurisdiction they can only take rides in.
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

Even the starting stall guys breaking the distancing prohibitions. Can't see the races lasting. But then again....trains and trams etc much closer packed.

Supermarkets, where people touch things and put them back on the shelf, restrooms etc, all danger zones, I think these are more hazardous than a race meeting.
Pardon_My_Dust View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pardon_My_Dust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 5:48pm
But far more of a necessity hence the term essential.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 10:25pm
Racing is more essential than groceries and restrooms ??? 
animals before people.
Straight arrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 9:32am
If it can be kept going? We know the animals will be looked after properly , and it’s not hurting anyone! It is also employing some people! Which is a help. I say carry on as long as workers are not effected. There is no harm in it
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 9:56am
I do not get the one bloke gets sick therefore we close the factory strategy. ConfusedWhat is the reasoning behind it? So what if Mark Zahra did get Coronavirus?
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 10:10am
Imagine how many people he'd've been in contact with since that flight on the 12th, along with the multiplying factor! Mind boggling consequences for the entire population, not just racing.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Go Flash Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 10:35am
That's it Gay, Mark tested negative doesn't mean he didn't carry it along just means he didn't get infected himself.

A race meeting is a collection and dispersal of people horses and objects from where to where each time ...

Love the races just as much as and glad very glad to see some today, but the mantra is stay put unless you really have to .....
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 10:40am
Even if Zahra had it doesn't mean that he would pass it to anyone in racing if they followed distancing which they are supposed to be doing. One bloke sick shut the entire business seems like an extreme panic response to me. Are they going to shut Woolies down if someone gets Coronavirus?
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

VSP. View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VSP. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 10:50am
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Even if Zahra had it doesn't mean that he would pass it to anyone in racing if they followed distancing which they are supposed to be doing. One bloke sick shut the entire business seems like an extreme panic response to me. Are they going to shut Woolies down if someone gets Coronavirus?
They would quite possibly shut down one store while all the staff were tested, yes.

If Zahra had tested positive they would have had to test absolutely everyone who he'd been in contact with before the industry could resume. They did the right thing.
www.snowshoecats.webs.com
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 10:59am
Distancing wasn't enforced untill about a week ago that I'm aware of so if he had tested positive, could've infected many. Jockeys use car pooling & friends to drive them so yes, impact on racing would have been to close down.
Horses whether in or out of training still need staff for their general welfare. The difference between racing & not, appears to me to be trackwork & races attendance; unlike many in the general population, industry participants are acutely aware of the knife edge they're on, so are hopefully taking every known precaution & those veering from protocols, quickly censored by their peers.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Go Flash Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 11:04am
Okaaay .... Zara didn't know he had close contact for how long ??? he weighs in weighs out who handles the saddle his reins go to the strapper from the strapper he pats the horse ... he went to Sydney of all places he came back how many other jockeys did as he is given as a for example here...

Jockeys chartered a plane later ..for distancing .... who charterd the plane before them was it cruise passengers was it disinfected ..... you can't manage all that.
Ticino View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ticino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 10:17pm
Hello,
here in Europe all Horse racing/Trotters have stopped and postponed to a later fixture. The last one was Ireland. Recently South Africa did the same.

German thoroughbred racing will start again at 18th April , if not a new date will be anouncend by our racing Organisation.
It's a great lost for all owners, Trainers, Jockey and for all working in this biz, because they didn't earn any Money, but the have to pay for feed, Training costs, vets, farriers etc.
And what about the "Classic Races" for 3 year olds? Could it be possible to postponed to later date.

>Here in Germany other sports are effected, too. No Basketball, Handball,  Ice Hockey and not to forgot Football/Soccer (First league, Second league, etc.) I can't remember it happened before!

Best regards from Germany,
Ticino

oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 9:37am
I do find it odd how racing has so far dodged the bullet. Closed in almost all other countries. The only "sport" still going here. Yes a lot of people rely upon it - but so did literally millions of others re Pubs/Clubs/ Restaurants/Cafes/Tourism/Travel - & the list goes on. Non-racing types would be quite miffed by it i'm sure.
Refer ALP Election Promises
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 9:40am
Simple question. Would you have more virus spread if the industry was open vs shutdown ? Could be carriers right now infecting people
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 9:44am
& it needs to be clear - this decision is not about animal welfare or racing participants. Its about losing the gambling dollar. If there was no gambling the industry would have been shut a week ago
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 10:44am
Also I think will effect breeding as surely flying stallions out to Australia wont be available unless this is under control by then.  That also includes the Australian breed stallions overseas.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 15>