Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Maddie Raymond

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Maddie Raymond
    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 7:30pm
Warrnambool trainer Maddie Raymond is set to saddle up her first runner at Caulfield on Wednesday - a horse boasting a win over one-time Melbourne Cup favourite Constantinople.

The galloper, Wentwood, will kick-off his Australian racing career in race eight - a BM70 Handicap over 1400m.

A five-year-old son of Pour Mois, Wentwood raced under the expert tutelage of Dermot Weld in Ireland before owner Glyn Davies decided a change of scenery was in order for the gelding.

"I've been good friends with Glyn Davies over the years. I've worked with some of his horses and he was really keen to send one over to me when I got my licence," Raymond told Punters.

Wentwood has taken some time to acclimatise to Australian conditions, but looked sharp winning an 800m jump-out at Stawell on January 7.

After stepping just evenly from the stalls, Wentwood moved up to join the pacesetter about three-off the fence before running to a clear lead around the home bend.

A two-length buffer at the top of the straight quickly became about six, with Wentwood romping away from his rivals to score in a slick time of 47.15 seconds - not far off Begood Toya Mother's winning time in a different heat on the same morning.

"It was a little unexpected," Raymond said of Wentwood's jump-out performance.

"It was a big question mark going to the trials because he's taken a little while to get settled over here.

"He's still got a fair bit of improvement to come so I was pretty happy with how he trialled."

Wentwood defeated Constantinople - fourth in last year's Caulfield Cup (2400m) - over 2048m at Cork back in April last year, but Raymond doesn't think punters should get too carried away with that.

"I know he beat Constantinople but it was Wentwood's preferred trip and Constantinople was using that as a bit of a starting point for his prep - plus he got held up - so we don't want to hype him up too much."

Raymond doesn't have any set plans for Wentwood beyond Wednesday, but believes we'll see his best between a mile and 2000m.

"He's still got his winter coat on him, so we'll just run him at Caulfield and reassess after that.

"I might tip him back out for a little break but it will just depend on how he runs basically - you can't rush things with these imports.

"Glyn (Davies) and Dermot Weld think he's a genuine 2000m horse but I think he might be a bit sharper than that.

"The racing here is a fair bit different to the racing over there and his work so far has shown that he would be competitive over 1200m first-up but we're going to 1400m."

Although new to running her own stable, Raymond has a solid grounding in the racing game and is currently working as Lindsey Smith's assistant trainer at his Warrnambool base.

"Lindsey's very easy-going and easy to work for. He's a brilliant horseman - I've learnt a lot from him," Raymond said.

Wentwood is one of only two horses Raymond has in work, but the young horsewoman is in no great rush to expand her stable.

"I'll just poke around with the two I've got and stick with Lindsey. I still have plenty to learn but hopefully Wentwood can get the ball rolling on Wednesday."
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 8:03pm
Interesting story.

I’m actually surprised she’s allowed to have her very first runner competing at a metropolitan track. Didn’t there used to be different grades of training licence that stipulated a trainer had to have a certain number of starters at provincial/country meets before being allowed to start a horse in town ?

Anyways, good luck to Maddie with Wentwood 👍
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 8:17pm

LIL' ANGEL

3yo Grey Filly
D.O.B: 26-Aug-2016
by WANDJINA  from RAPIDEMENT
View Pedigree Report
If you’re having trouble viewing video form, click here
StatusActive
Owner’s Details Mr B J Spicer, Mr M D Boyd, A Team Racing, Collock Racing, Mr M J Hayne, Mr M Chan, Mr D L Portelli, Mr C E Hardy, Mr J J Bartkowski, Mr B J Lee, Magnus Magic, Mr J Wu, Mr J El-Fahkri, Mr A J Rosano, Denman Bloodstock, Mr A Habchi, Mr J J Page, Mr D F Camilleri, Mr A McMahon
Stewards EmbargoesNone on record
Last Gear Change*03-Sep-2019, Cross-over Nose Band, On
TrainerMs Maddie Raymond (Warrnambool)
Racing ColoursYellow, Royal Blue Knight, Royal Blue And Yellow Stripe Sleeves, Yellow And Royal Blue Star Cap
CareerSummary: 4-0:0:1    Prizemoney: $8,350     Prizemoney incl. Bonus: $8,350
BOBS Bonus: $0    BOBS Double Up: $0    Other Bonus: $0 
1st Up: 2:0-0-1    2nd Up: 2:0-0-0     
Firm: 0:0-0-0    Good: 1:0-0-0    Soft: 2:0-0-0    Heavy: 0:0-0-0    Synthetic: 1:0-0-1 
Sand/Dirt Fast: 0:0-0-0     Sand/Dirt Wet Fast: 0:0-0-0
T 3rd of 8CTRN 18Mar19 800m Good4 2YF-TRL $000 Luke Currie 0kg Barrier 0 
1st Deserved 0kg, 2nd Lady Sheilack 0kg 0:47.16 (600m 34.76), 1.55L
9th of 10CAUL 06Apr19 1100m Good4 2Y HCP $125,000 ($2,500) Michael Dee 55kg Barrier 6 
1st Meuse 56kg, 2nd Flostar 55kg 1:04.03 (600m 35.22), 8.2L, 5th@800m, 8th@400m, $6/$6
9th of 11WNBL 30Apr19 1000m Soft6 V GOLD STRIKE $100,500 ($2,000) Luke Currie 57kg Barrier 3 Rtg 60 
1st Ginny Ann 57kg, 2nd Seatonic 57kg 0:59.94 (600m 35.64), 9.1L, 10th@800m, 8th@400m, $6.50/$10/$11/$10
Spell 18 weeks
Training information change: Tony McEvoy to Lindsey Smith
3rd of 11BRTS 06Sep19 1000m Synthetic MDN-SW $35,000 ($3,150) Dean Yendall 54kg Barrier 10 
1st Reard 56kg, 2nd Sodalicious 54kg 0:58.32 (600m 34.22), 6.25L, 6th@800m, 6th@400m, $26/$21
7th of 9BRAT 22Sep19 1200m Soft7 3UP MDN-SW $35,000 ($700) Ms Alana Kelly (a) 54kg (cd 52kg) Barrier 5 
1st Polanco 58.5kg, 2nd Living The Dream 58.5kg 1:15.20 (600m 35.93), 10.75L, 2nd@800m, 2nd@400m, $20/$26/$31/$26
Training information change: Lindsey Smith to Maddie Raymond
reductio ad absurdum
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 11:03am
Raymond was a famous name in the breeding way back when.  Wonder is she any relation.
Remember Miss Ann Raymond,  and her family in Vic ?
animals before people.
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 2:31pm
Was Maddie part of the Weir team at Warrnambool before Smith took over?

If we're going to tar an entire stable, we may as well be thorough LOL
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

Raymond was a famous name in the breeding way back when.  Wonder is she any relation.

You are correct AA, Sledmere Stud then on to ST.Albin. Vic. Guy Raymond had a stallion I'm pretty sure by the name of Marazion when I worked for tony lopes , he was getting on in years , this was late 60s , ST.Albin had a lot of history including hiding away Phar Lap, the horse we had by Marazion was Vita, Guy use to visit.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by Red Hare Red Hare wrote:

Was Maddie part of the Weir team at Warrnambool before Smith took over?

If we're going to tar an entire stable, we may as well be thorough LOL

She was Prince of Penzance’s trackrider and strapper.

Has worked for D Hayes and Willy Mullins as well
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 4:19pm
There's something of an inference that everyone at Weir's stable knew what was happening, which imo is a long way from the truth.

Someone who had reason to travel through Miners Rest actually said she'd seen dim lights on in the middle of the night, suggesting much of the alleged chemical goings on might have occurredunder the cover of dark.  And many wouldn't have had the opportunity to find that jiggers were being used.

acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

You are correct AA, Sledmere Stud then on to ST.Albin. Vic. Guy Raymond had a stallion I'm pretty sure by the name of Marazion when I worked for tony lopes , he was getting on in years , this was late 60s , ST.Albin had a lot of history including hiding away Phar Lap, the horse we had by Marazion was Vita, Guy use to visit.

I think Guy was Miss A,s father ??   She hasnt been long gone.  Geez she was ancient.Smile  But one smart old bird.
animals before people.
Discohips23 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Discohips23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

There's something of an inference that everyone at Weir's stable knew what was happening, which imo is a long way from the truth.

Someone who had reason to travel through Miners Rest actually said she'd seen dim lights on in the middle of the night, suggesting much of the alleged chemical goings on might have occurredunder the cover of dark.  And many wouldn't have had the opportunity to find that jiggers were being used.

So is Weiry guilty or not? 
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 8:00pm
What the hell has that got to do with this thread? Go post on one of the multiple Weir ones Unhappy
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 8:01pm
Well he's been disqualified for four years and didn't contest the charges.  Wacko

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Discohips23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

What the hell has that got to do with this thread? Go post on one of the multiple Weir ones Unhappy
Gay, it’s all tied into Darren Weir and you know it. Don’t pick and choose which comments take your side and which don’t. I have no filter. I could dress my comments up like Second Chance does to suit your stance, but I don’t have that ability. You know damn well where my comments are pointed, and exactly what direction Second Chances point. He is clearly a Weir sympathiser and clearly I am not. Every member on here knows that their comments could be attributed to any thread on this site if they want to search back far enough, surely this is just another. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 8:27pm
Where the hell do you get the opinion that I'm a Weir sympathizer?  Wacko

What don't you understand about "What the hell has that (Weir's guilt) got to do with this thread? Go post on one of the multiple Weir ones Unhappy

In fact, just what if anything do you understand?  Ermm

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Discohips23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 9:22pm
Oh please. Whenever there has been anything published on here that remotely questions integrity, you have always done your best to play it down. I’m more than happy to throw my hand up for what I believe in, and I’m just as happy for you to do the same. What I won’t cop is being questioned by the “mediator”. If I put my comment on the Weir thread I would have had it censored or received an “inbox” comment. You write what you wish, and I’ll write what I wish to write. Members definitely know where I stand and members know where you stand.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 11:26pm
The circle stinks.

And it has every right to infiltrate this thread.

Every person that worked for Weir, certainly at a high level will have mud on their names.

reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 8:37am
Originally posted by Discohips23 Discohips23 wrote:

Oh please. Whenever there has been anything published on here that remotely questions integrity, you have always done your best to play it down.

You ignoramus.  Does this sound like I'm playing Weir's indiscretions down?

"Someone who had reason to travel through Miners Rest actually said she'd seen dim lights on in the middle of the night, suggesting much of the alleged chemical goings on might have occurred under the cover of dark"

breeding_above_all View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote breeding_above_all Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 8:41am
Strapped and track rider of POP... enough said
SHOVHOG View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SHOVHOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 9:55am
She was a useful idiot I’m led to believe.
" In gambling the many must lose in order for the few to win"
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 12:56pm
Most of them just did what they were told, didn’t ask questions and got sucked in by an evil twisted criminal mastermind
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 1:26pm
Funnily enough, people need to live & in order to do this, they either bludge off the government or seek employment.
A few of those looking for work, love & have their own horses so, given racing is the main award paying equine industry, this is where they seek a position.
However, most looking for work tend to prefer to seek jobs within driving distance of their residence which tends to narrow the choice, even more so, away from the major cities where many large stables are found.
Labelling as a likely cheat, every employee or ex of any trainer convicted multiple times is extremely narrow minded & twisted, so much for the iconic "A fair go" Angry
You work in a racing stable, you put your head down & get on with it because if you leave for no good reason, a decent reference won't be forthcoming, the word quickly goes round & before you know it, you're stacking s/market shelves. Yes it is that bad.

Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 3:04pm
So you're saying she's at least open to the idea of a little shock therapy. Just a means to an end.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 3:46pm
Not at all! I'm saying that whilst staff may well know or suspect what a trainer's doing, it doesn't mean they condone it.
Retention of jobs very often entails turning a blind eye, no matter the industry.
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 4:50pm
Doesn't condone the action bur survival is a necessary element of life
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Discohips23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 5:46pm
The industry has been screaming out for stable employees for years. It’s a known fact that it has trouble getting new participants involved due to the low wages and work conditions (eg hours). Don’t tell me that it’s an excuse for an employee of a training establishment to turn a blind eye to what their employer is doing because they would find it hard to find another job, are you kidding me?. Sleep with dogs and you get flees, and this arrangement has infestation written all over it.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 6:37pm
I know it as fact! You're blacklisted everywhere in that State.No one will employ a snitch if you go that far & if you give 'a change of scenery' as reason & head to another trainer, don't expect a glowing reference even if deserved.
What's the difference between Maddie, Daniel, Mitch & other ex Weir employees then? How come they too don't have potentially slanderous threads? Perhaps because she's female? Involved closely with a Melb. Cup winner? She's not even a tall poppy Confused
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 6:51pm
What good is a glowing reference when remuneration is at the award rate?

When I play cards with the kids, I give them the opportunity to pick up their trump card if they've gone early with it. They know that I know they've got it, but the aim is to help them get better at the game.... that being said, I think it's only fair that you get the opportunity to pick the gender card back up & hang on to it for another day.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 7:10pm
You're wasting your time Gay, because all the experts here know in their own minds that everyone on the payroll with Weir well knew what was going on.

In reality a handful or two clearly would have known about the jiggers, because you have to remain "tight" to kep int in house.  Others may have clearly suspected.  Most employees however simply strapped or shoveled sh1t and were just glad to be employed.

However there's actually two issues here: one is about jiggers (the disqualification) and the other about Chinese "herbs" and associated "assistance".  Weir pleaded no contest to the animal cruelty (jigger) charge and was probably relieved to cop just four years.

Because as for the other, which was what I earlier referred to as "activities under the cloak of dark" I believe without evidence that this was where animals were injected or swallowed all sort of stuff before efficacy was proven one way or another on the training track.  Failures (and there is evidence) ended up at the tip or the doggers.  But that aside, only a few employees would have known diddly about subsequent doping.

Where Maddie fits into all this is your call.  Smile

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 7:20pm
What good is a glowing reference when remuneration is at the award rate? - Red Hare

What's at stake is employment, not level of salary!
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

What good is a glowing reference when remuneration is at the award rate? - Red Hare

What's at stake is employment, not level of salary!
The point was made that finding staff is a major issue. So, when one walks in the door and says they've been at Joe Bloggs' joint for five years, or months, and they have the payslips to prove it, the reference becomes moot.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>