Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Maddie Raymond

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 9:54pm
What are peoples opinion of Simon Miller then, a successful trainer in Perth, has had runners in Victoria, and was once a part of the Aquanita stable.
He left just before the revelations.
Would he have seen a thing or two?
Same situation.
HarmersHaven View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarmersHaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 10:07pm

I often thought the same thing about Lloyd's (ahem!) trainer - Liam H.

He was 2IC at Smerdon's stable prior to Macedon Lodge - clearly remember him there around the Mosheen era.

I'm yet to reconcile, when you're second in charge, if you don't know what's going on surely you're derelict in your duties. If you did know what's going on, well, I'm really not sure how to finish that sentence...

Edited by Gay3 - 20 Jan 2020 at 8:15am
Without data, you're just another person with an opinion.
Discohips23 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Discohips23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 10:28pm
Name a past Aquanita trainer who has never been charged. When you find that out, there’s your answer.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by Isaac soloman Isaac soloman wrote:

What are peoples opinion of Simon Miller then, a successful trainer in Perth, has had runners in Victoria, and was once a part of the Aquanita stable.
He left just before the revelations.  Would he have seen a thing or two?  Same situation. 

Good question, however to be fair Simon was with Aquanita for a very short time before accepting the appointment as its WA trainer.  He departed Victoria in 2008, almost 12 years ago now.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 2:33pm
Just trained her first winner at Donald with a horse previously trained by her boss Lindsey Smith
Straight arrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 3:12pm
Sounds a quality horse person
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 2:41pm
Interesting, Lindsay Smith going like a busted and her gelding Wentwood goes like an unfit busted. 
reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 2:10pm
reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 2:12pm
Two of these pick up are Peter Moody horses.

General Bordeaux and Tovolo Gap. 

Wonder if he takes over when he is up and running.
reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

And Cunnamulla. 
reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 2:14pm

And Cunnamulla. 

And Ashworth LOL
reductio ad absurdum
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 6:03pm
Could she be pre-training ?
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 4:49pm
Wentwood wins the St Arnaud Cup
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 10:26pm
Ridden by Harry Coffey  !!!    What a win !  Thumbs Up  More to the point, what a collect . Big smile
animals before people.
Foxseal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxseal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 1:20pm
Is todays win by Wentwood in the 2600m race at Flemington, her first city winner?

Either way, well done!  
brave_ponies View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brave_ponies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 8:26pm
Great to see Maddie win her first Group race today.
Exciting mare too! StarStarStar
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 12:20am
Yes, good on her.  I read a story about her and that horse, and seriously thought about a Tri on it and the 2 Tassie mares, but dont have any money in my TAB account and my bank wont let me use my card on gambling sites Cry
animals before people.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 12:36am

Turaath in line for $1.6 million prize

Turaath has put herself in line for a $1.6 million pay day after the English-bred mare extended her winning run in Melbourne to four with a gusty victory in the Group 2 Let's Elope Stakes at Flemington on Saturday.

The Maddie Raymond-trained mare overcame a wide run and some worthy rivals to score in what is the first leg of a new $1m bonus for mares who win the Let's Elope and follow it with victory in the $1m G1 Empire Rose Stakes (1600m) on October 30.

In quite an extraordinary performance, Turaath managed to race wide for the majority of the 1400-metre race but still kicked clear inside the 200-metre mark to establish a winning break.

On the line, Turaath ($5.50) was a length-and-three-quarters clear of Mystic Journey ($14), who finished on from the rear, with fellow Tasmanian mare Still A Sar ($6) a neck away in third.

The win registered a treble for jockey Damian Lane, after earlier Flemington victories aboard Tooradin (Race 1) and Harbour Views (Race 5).

"I'm still shaking," Raymond said after her first Stakes success as a trainer. "I had to catch my breath coming down here. I'm super excited.

"She's such a tough mare. She didn't do it easy again. She sat out wide with no cover and she was rock-hard fit and super competitive.

"She stepped just half a stride slow. We did think she'd settle wide with cover, which didn't work out either. She was super fit going into it. Such a tough, honest horse.

"We've been looking for a reason not to come (to the races today) and give her a break but she's so tough. If anything, you treat her like a colt. She eats well, she thrives off her work and she's shown that today."

Raymond said that although she is concerned the mare has been up for a while, she will look at stepping her to 1600 metres for the first time in the Empire Rose.

"The way she relaxed today - even in the mounting yard and out the back - she's definitely improving," she said.

Lane explained that he'd never ridden the mare before but did expect her to lead.

"She normally flies the gates and everyone was probably expecting her to lead, but it didn't eventuate and I let her cruise through her gears and she sat third," he said.

"I was always confident in the run that I had plenty in the locker."

$4 favourite Instant Celebrity got a long way back and while she did make some ground late for sixth place, vets later revealed she had mucus on the scope following the race.

Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2022 at 4:25pm
To matthew,

This is notification of a upcoming horse(s) run from your Black Book. (NB All race times local)

Race 3 - 1. BOLD TROPIC 
MADDIE RAYMOND
WILL GORDON
Barrier 3
59.5kg (9st 5lb)

28 Feb 22 HAMILTON   Race 03 - 02:30  1100m - Brandt Hamilton Mdn Plate
[LR: 163 days]
Wins Pl Starts: 0 (0.0%) - 0 (0.0%) - 3
WPS Last 12 mths: no starts
Good Tracks: 0 (0.0%) - 0 (0.0%) - 1
Dead Tracks: no starts
Slow Tracks: 0 (0.0%) - 0 (0.0%) - 1
Heavy Tracks: no starts
All Weather: 0 (0.0%) - 0 (0.0%) - 1
Distance +/-: no starts
Crs & Distance: no starts
Your Black Book Comment: [Click to Edit Comment] Bought cheaply by Maddy Raymond. Nice pedigree.
reductio ad absurdum
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 2:30pm

In-form Raymond builds team

Maddie Raymond ended her career-best season on a winning note at The Valley on Saturday when Home Rule provided her 19th win for the season.

Striking the winners stall at 20 per cent in recent months, it's Raymond's quality over quantity approach which saw the young trainer notch three Group wins across the season.

As she prepares for the upcoming spring, the Warrnambool-based trainer will have some familiar names but also new names she hopes will continue the winning run next season.

Raymond will stick to a sprinting preparation with Turaath as she plots spring goals with her leading mare.

“We always thought last prep we would try and stretch her out to a mile but I think she is best at that 1200-1400 metre trip,” Raymond explained.

“She ran third to Marabi in the Australia Stakes and that was in preparation for a 1400 metre run so I think we will train her a bit more like a sprinter rather than teach her to settle for a mile.

“Something like a Manikato might be up her sleeve this time.”

Stringing four wins together last year culminating in the G2 Lets Elope at 1400 metres, Raymond stretched the mare out to 1600 metres in her autumn campaign.

Raymond said other sprinting races such as the Schillaci, Moir and Darley Sprint are also on her radar.

“She’s a ripper, she’s very tough and very honest,” Raymond professed.

“She had a decent break and probably hasn’t had one ever in her life because they don’t really spell them like we do overseas.

“We probably won’t see her until a bit later on the spring.

“She is just starting her fast work now.”

Raymond has also added a new acquisition to her Warrnambool base in Heart of Puissance, but he won’t be seen this spring.

“We are going to give him a break,” Raymond explained.

“His preference is those softer and wet tracks and he has had his niggles along the way so we’ve gelded him as well.

“But just a change of environment and the beach access will help him immensely.”

The six-year-old has raced 14 times for four victories. He last raced during the Warrnambool Carnival finishing second after eight months on the sidelines.

Another newcomer to join the stable is former Lloyd Williams-owned galloper Cormorant who Darren Freyer paid $105,000 for via online auction earlier this year.

“He’s good really really good overseas form and didn’t bring that over to Australia,” Raymond admits.

“But if we can regenerate that he is a really handy horse.

“We gave him a break and he’s at Fulmen Park on the water walker and due back next week.

“If he puts his hand up he might be seen later in the carnival as well.

“He is the kind of horse that would match up against Wentwood in the bigger country cups.”

With his ownership group, Raymond said the 2023 Warrnambool Cup could be high on his agenda.

Last years Bendigo Cup winner Wentwood would be put on a similar path which also includes the Coongy and Ballarat Cup.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 4:11pm
No mention of her best horse Earlswood. 
reductio ad absurdum
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 4:30pm
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123