Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Torrens

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Torrens
    Posted: 14 Oct 2023 at 7:32pm
Now they have him fit he should not have a full spell for the next 12 months.

Races all over the place for him. The two you mentioned, Bagot, Tasmania, Adelaide, and races like the Grafton Cup, and even possibly that 3200m Sandown Cup in June or July.

Might not be a champion but you would love to own him! 
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2023 at 6:14pm
Much improved effort in the St Leger today.  Probably not worthy of a trip south to Victoria.

But another tilt at the Beauford Stks 2300m at Newcastle next month and the Xmas Cup 2400m in Dec at Rosehill are definately within his scope.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2022 at 7:30pm
Was a great double in years gone by , The Villiers & Summer Cup , shame we lost them. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2022 at 2:54pm
This horse’s record over 2400m at Randwick - 3 starts for 3 wins.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

A shame the G3 Summer Cup is no longer at 2400m.  I’m not sure there’s much else around for him over the summer, unless they go interstate for the Bagot Hcp.

He may be put away for a Sydney Cup tilt next year and hope it’s a dry autumn carnival.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2022 at 9:48am
interview with current trainer about the horse from a few months ago, got a call out of the blue from the Singapore based owner asking him to train

Marc Chevalier – Surprise Call Brings Him Sydney Cup Hope

By John Curtis

EVERY new trainer needs a headline horse to kick start their career.

Thanks to a surprise phone call a couple of months ago from an overseas owner he has never met, French expat MARC CHEVALIER, in only his first year of training, is in a position to hopefully have his first Group 1 runner in the $2m Sydney Cup (3200m) at Royal Randwick on April 9 during The Championships.

Having simply enquired about the details of the horse when he fielded the call and received a very pleasant response, the talented stayer Torrens was on his way to join Chevalier’s fledgling Hawkesbury stable.

“Singapore owner Vincent Balasubramaniam rang me and it was totally unexpected, especially as I am yet to meet him in person,” Chevalier said.

“He has a share in an unraced two-year-old in my stable, and apparently had decided to look for a new trainer for Torrens.

“He was of the opinion that the French are the best at training stayers, and that’s the reason I got him.

“I’m very fortunate indeed to have the opportunity to train Torrens, and the Sydney Cup is our goal.

“Vincent wants the horse to go to stud when his racing career is over.”

Torrens, a five-year-old stallion by Cox Plate winner Adelaide, has won nine of his 27 starts – and three of them came from his last four metropolitan outings under his previous Sydney trainer Lauri Parker.

Torrens won the Listed Tattersalls Cup (2400m) at Randwick on October 23 at $20, and then bolted away with the inaugural running of the $300,000 The Beauford (2300m) at the metropolitan The Hunter meeting at Newcastle on November 13.

Chevalier is pleased with Torrens’ progress and initially intended to begin his Cup campaign at Randwick on Saturday in the Listed Randwick City Stakes (2000m).

However, because of Sydney’s wet weather, he has opted to wait a week and run him in the Group 3 Sky High Stakes (2000m) at Rosehill Gardens.

Chevalier and his wife Charlotte moved north from Melbourne to set up the Hawkesbury stable in May last year.

And, whilst many pundits in New South Wales might not know much about him, rest assured he is certainly no racing fly by nighter.

Chevalier has had a thorough grounding in many facets of the industry, and though he has long wanted to train, he didn’t rush into it until he felt he was ready.

Marc and Charlotte Chevalier at the Inglis Classic yearling sale.

“I rode at pony clubs and show jumping in France when I was young, but really fell in love with the thoroughbred when I was 16,” he explained.

“I rode them work for a trainer on the beach at Normandy for a couple of weeks. Their speed and beautiful action got me.”

Subsequently, whilst working at Shadwell Stud in the UK, a meeting with the Aga Khan’s manager Georges Rimaud led to him making his way to Australia – and eventually starting a training career.

“Georges offered me a job back in France as a break-in rider at the Aga Khan’s farm at Normandy,” Chevalier said.

“I was there for two seasons and, knowing I wanted to train, Georges recommended I go to Australia.

“As they had connections with Arrowfield Stud in the Hunter Valley by sending a few mares there, Georges arranged a job for me with Paul Messara as a trackwork rider.

“I was at their training centre at Scone for six months, and wanting to do some more travelling to learn as much as I could, also worked at Turangga Farm in the Segenhoe Valley and then Rich Hill Stud in New Zealand.”

Chevalier found his way back to Arrowfield for another two and a half years as a foreman at the fillies’ barn (when international winning mare Ortensia was there).

When Arrowfield boss John Messara persuaded son Paul to take over managing the stud and focus less on training, Chevalier joined Gary Moore when he returned from overseas to set up shop training at Rosehill Gardens.

“I spent three years with Gary as an assistant trainer, and life was never boring,” he quipped.

“During my time there, Gary won the 2016 Group 1 Winterbottom Stakes in Perth, and I was a finalist in the 2015-16 Sydney Strapper Of The Year Award.”

Furthering his experience to become a trainer, Chevalier ventured south and joined Melbourne Cup legend Lloyd Williams and son Nick at Macedon Lodge for 18 months before taking on an assistant training role with another Melbourne Cup winner, trainer Danny O’Brien, at Flemington.

“I learnt so much from Danny,” Chevalier said. “He was great to work for and didn’t hold anything back; always prepared to share his knowledge.”

Satisfied he was finally ready to take on his new training venture, Chevalier never had any doubt about starting off in New South Wales.

“It was always my preference,” he said. “The prizemoney is fantastic, and I learned the Midway Handicaps were about to be introduced in Sydney on Saturdays.

“Hawkesbury is a really nice place to train. It’s been a slow process, but I’ve got 12 horses on my books, including a lovely Headwater yearling I picked up at the recent Inglis Classic sale.”

Aptly, Chevalier’s breakthrough winner was a horse called Tri Nations at Bathurst on January 25.

But the gelding exited the stable soon afterwards for Queensland, and is now in the care of Mackay trainer Mark Cochrane.

“The owners and myself felt it was the right time to move him on,” Chevalier explained. “Racing is a business and you have to make tough decisions, but being my first winner, it was sad to see him go.

“Training my first city winner in my first year is something I would like to achieve.”

Torrens might be just the horse to do it for him. Perhaps even a Group 1 Sydney Cup? Now what a story that would be!

HOOFNOTE: Chevalier doesn’t know if he is related to the legendary French musical comedy star and entertainer Maurice Chevalier (who died in 1972 at 83 years of age).

Irrespective, this young man has left no stone unturned to succeed in his chosen profession, and is marching to the beat of his own drum!

Great read Shawy, thanks Thumbs Up

Edited by Gay3 - 11 Dec 2022 at 11:19am
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2022 at 3:54pm
What a horse, good looker, kind, talented, love to ask the owner how come so many trainers?......he's still a bull, [the horse, not the owner] been wonderful to me, how many times he has won at big odds, he's won 10 of 31, not many horses can do that......
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2022 at 12:14pm
Wins the Listed Christmas Cup after $100/1 plus was apparently available Clap
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 11:35am
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Is it the same owner ? 
Racing in different colours so you may be right.

The new trainer will sure be under a lot pressure to get him racing as well as Lauri Parker did last spring.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 11:20am
Race 7 - 4:55PM TAB CANBERRA CUP (2000 METRES)Times displayed in local time of Race Meeting
Of $200,000.1st $120,000, 2nd $40,000, 3rd $17,500, 4th $7,500, 5th $5,000, 6th $3,000, 7th $2,500, 8th $2,500, Equine Welfare Fund $2,000. LISTED
Quality, Minimum Weight 55.5kg, Weight Raised 1.5kg, Apprentices cannot claim.

Track Name: Main Track Type: Turf

Field Limit: 16 + 4 EM

NoLast 10HorseTrainerJockeyBarrierWeightProbable WeightPenaltyHcp Rating
131112360x6SACRAMENTOGai Waterhouse & Adrian BottTim Clark1458kg98
2701091811xTORRENSMarc ChevalierGrant Buckley958kg98
3233x091425PARRY SOUNDBjorn BakerJoshua Parr1656.5kg95
4x877247x87SIKANDARABAD (IRE)Sam Kavanagh655.5kg91
56404241651MONEGALTheresa BateupBrock Ryan255.5kg88
621171x1213TOOMUCHTOBEAR (NZ)Chris WallerTommy Berry1055.5kg88
7732110x07xALAKAHAN (IRE)Richard & Michael FreedmanMitchell Bell (late alt)555.5kg86
86173365x90KISS THE BRIDE (NZ)Bjorn BakerBrodie Loy1855.5kg86
9x0x10x8x83LE BAOL (FR)Ciaron Maher & David EustaceKeagan Latham755.5kg85
10x3542313x2FIVE KINGDOMMatthew DaleSam Clipperton455.5kg80
117570115x71MR GEEJohn O'SheaJames McDonald (late alt)155.5kg55kg80
12116x526216OUTLANDOSJohn SargentJean Van Overmeire1155.5kg80
13x943422335CANASTA (FR)Bjorn BakerMs Rachel King1755.5kg79
1485270x7794DADOOZDART (GB)Michael, Wayne & John HawkesWilliam Pike355.5kg78
1565x8672573MAID OF ORENick OliveJay Ford1255.5kg71
166822511622THE GURUTheresa BateupMs Kayla Nisbet1555.5kg69
17e88710x4881KING RATELBryce HeysTom Sherry (a)1355.5kg64
18e101550x381ROMANBarbara Joseph, Paul & Matt JonesQuayde Krogh855.5kg62
reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 8:55am
Is it the same owner ? 
reductio ad absurdum
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 8:51am
I couldn't agree more! Owners Angry
Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 7:59am
Why would you change trainers after such a remarkable form reversal? Was with Ethan Ensby initially, went very well, then a slump, changed trainers and wowee! The horse is obviously happy and thriving, big risk moving him on...
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 6:31am
Was a revaluation in the Spring under the training of Lauri Parker.

But noticed he’s listed on Racing Australia with a trainer change to a Marc Chevalier at Hawkesbury Confused

Hope this is just a temporary change, as Lauri took the horse to a new level last year, so would be a shame if she didn’t have him for the Sydney Cup tilt.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 1:24pm
Absolutely flying.
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 9:04am

Adelaide Stayer Wins City Tattersalls Cup

Tara Madgwick - Saturday October 23

It only seems fitting that on Cox Plate Day, the 2014 Cox Plate hero Adelaide (IRE) would sire a new stakes-winner with his progressive staying son Torrens taking out the Listed ATC City Tattersalls Cup (2400m) at Randwick.

The Lauri Parker trained stallion has been racing well this preparation recording wins at Randwick and Warwick Farm with a last start eighth in the $500,000 St Leger after doing plenty of work from a wide gate.

He enjoyed a better run with cover this time and when angled into the clear by Jenny Duggan, Torrens let down with a good run to reel in the leader and win by three-quarters of a length running away.

Torrens was retained to race by his breeder and has won eight races and placed three times from 26 starts earning over $334,000 in prizemoney.

Torrens is the best of three winners from winning dangerous mare A Little Knowledge, who comes from the family of Group I winner Select Prince. She died in 2019 and her last foal is an unnamed three year-old colt by Adelaide.

Torrens has been a good money earner and is the second stakes-winner for his sire Adelaide, who is best known as the sire of Group I winning mare Funstar, who sold as a broodmare prospect this year for $2.7 million.

By legendary sire Galileo, Adelaide is a value option on the Coolmore roster priced at just $5,500 this spring.

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 8:08am
I'm most disappointed, tho' not surprised, there's still no article from the Sydney media & can only hope someone's planning a comprehensive one, therefore needing more time. All 3 are great stories in the own rights.
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 6:31am
Maybe the Sandown Cup would be good race for him?
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 6:00am
I stuck, LH, been with him throughout, got 200-1 when he won earlier, he's talented alright but the ride from Jenny was the catalyst yesterday, she got out when she needed to and the horse did the rest. He's still a stallion, and what a lovely kind horse he is.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 6:24pm
Congrats to Lauri Parker & connections with this fellow winning todays Listed City Tatts Cup at Randwick Clap

He seems hard to catch but definately got talent & left some accomplished stayers like Hush Writer, Skymax & Carif in his wake.

Good on connections for giving the horse to a small metro stable like Lauri Parker rather than to a factory operation.  Good story.

Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2021 at 12:23pm
I'm glad I stuck, I got 250-1 2 runs back and as you say LH, it was a better run than it looked, if he hadn't have got held up at about the 700 that day he would have finished even closer, put Kembla down to the track........back to Randwick and boom.......he is a very good horse this bloke, he ran 2-01 passing the 2000m one day at E Farm, any horse that can time like that, well, he could be a chance in something like the Metrop now......you think?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2021 at 12:06pm
Goodness me!  A very comprehensive win at Randwick over 2400m at long odds.

His run 2 back at Randwick was actually pretty good but was then awful at Kembla, so couldnt have considered him today.

Well done to trainer Lauri Parker, nice to see a small yard get a Saturday winner Clap
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 7:26pm
Clearly doesnt like wet tracks - 9th today beaten 24 lens!!

I wish the new trainer the best of luck but shes got a task on her hands to turn him around.  And with his rating, Im not sure theres suitable provincial races for him, so probably needs to look at mid weekers at Canterbury or Warwick Farm.
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2021 at 2:07pm
Looked as fat as mud in the yard and went accordingly, get what you deserve I suppose.
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 8:42am
Why would you take a horse off a trainer that wins 5 from 16 with 3 2nds and almost K155 in the bank? With due respect to Laurie, I think 1 win from 50 runners, I just can't work that out, unless there was a row or trouble in the camp. He's a lovely horse Torrens, good natured, great type and going places up here on the QLD/NSW border.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 8:34am
Noticed this guy has had a change of stable - now with Lauri Parker at Warwick Farm.

Accepted for a BM72 over 1600m at Randwick on Saturday.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 3:58pm
Last of 10 beaten ten lengths today.

It was his 9th run of the campaign, so would appear to have had enough this time.  But hes at least shown some talent and Im sure there will be another win in him later in 2021.

Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 4:58am
On the surface LH not a great ride, got too far back with 59.5kg, looked like he was going to swamp them and then he ducked across heels? Last start he was ridden a treat, tucked just behind them, being a stallion he might be thinking too much?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2021 at 12:52pm
Heres hoping he can go on with it Bonjour.

Hes lining up in R5 at Doomben today over 2200m, currently the $2.90 favourite.
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2020 at 10:47am
Originally posted by Lord Hybrow Lord Hybrow wrote:

This guy finally cracked it for another win today in the 2200m race at Eagle Farm.

Couldnt have backed him today off his last few starts but good to see him back in form.

I backed him, have a good look at the start previous, he was climbing all over them at the 600, he had nowhere to go and when they sprinted he couldn't muster, no wonder, they ran home in 33 and change. so he would have had to run 32 just to catch them......he'll go on this bloke, he's a cracker!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2020 at 11:55am
This guy finally cracked it for another win today in the 2200m race at Eagle Farm.

Couldnt have backed him today off his last few starts but good to see him back in form.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>