Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Broodmares
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Unbroken 5 yo mare

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote early4lunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unbroken 5 yo mare
    Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 3:19pm
A studmaster has told me not to bother with an unbroken 5 yo mare. He says mares like her have problems foaling .What do others think ?
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 3:46pm
No problem if broken to lead and is tractable.
early4lunch View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote early4lunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 11:10pm
She was never taught to lead,she just picked it up instantaneously and she has the most beautiful temperament you could imagine.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 11:19pm
What does  "unbroken"  have to do with foaling ??  Confused  Wild mares,,,unbroken,,,foal all the time ????  No problems.    That sounds crazy to me.  Ermm
animals before people.
Kimberley Mine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimberley Mine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 1:59am
Is the studmaster saying she will have problems foaling because she's not broken to ride?  It sounds like she IS halter broke.

Or is he referring to something specific about her anatomy?  Was she never backed because of an injury to her back or pelvis, for instance?  Are her hips very narrow?
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 6:45am
Ask your vet. They’ll know more than a studmaster
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 12:33pm
Maybe the hidden text is that the studmaster, for whatever reason, doesn't want anything to do with the mare.
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 2:08pm
Why would she have a problem foaling? Ask a brumby!
As SC says , maybe other issues.
Take2 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Take2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 8:29am
unbroken means unbroken to ride if she leads no prob, either as sc says the studmaster dont wanna bar or he doesnt know what he's talking about and what he was trying to say got lost in the verbage

change is simply a destination on a journey reached by taking the first step (i said that) lol

www.3rdmillenniumbloodstock.com.au
Mumtaz View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mumtaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 10:55am
In 2019 I was given a 7YO Denman mare who is unbroken due to leg injuries.  Her previous owner has had 2x foals from her by Spill The Beans and Al Maher respectively and has had no problems and raved about her temperament and also that of her two foals.

She is a pleasure to handle and apart from commercial considerations and my  being broke, I would have no hesitation in putting her back to a commercial stud.  Admittedly I would like her 2YO to do something positive first.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 12:10pm
Well, the way fate works in this game , your Spill The Beans horse should do well. Thumbs Up
animals before people.
Mumtaz View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mumtaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 10:46am
Think Adraan.

Unfortunately the 2 YO is not named yet.  However the dam side is not a 2YO family.  I am also hoping that whilst STB's seems useful now, that they progress a lot in the next 12 months.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 11:04am
Fingers crossed for you.  Horse,s offspring usually do well once they have died , tho, dont they.
animals before people.
Mumtaz View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mumtaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 10:38am
Sorry for the delay in answering AA.

Yes, you probably can think STB's chances of success (reasonably good with the support he got anyway) just went up.  Certainly he has a lot more foals on the ground than Adraan did.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 2:02pm
Good Luck.  Lets know when you name it.
animals before people.
Mumtaz View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mumtaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 11:00am
Sorry AA, the filly's not mine.  My friend sold her for not much at last year's March Sales and she was purchased by Timothy Neaverson.  At that time my friend had drought and fire issues and I had reluctantly taken Sapphires Girl (Sapphi) off his hands as I also was drought affected, albeit not as badly, and had not lost half my pasture to fires.  I knew she threw good looking foals though.

The filly was a correct, forward type, so the poor price was either my friend not being known or a weakish page. The dam of Sapphire's Girl was a SW who won 8 races and was a half to a winner of $Aus1.3m in Hong Kong.  Problem was Sapphi's Mum has not been a good brood mare to date - had 3x Helmets none of whom have raced.  Sapphi (injured and her first foal) and a winning Bernadini colt were her only other racing age foals at that time.

So Sapphi really needs to wait to see how her foals go.  Unfortunately with her leg injuries she cannot go to a riding home so her future is as a broodmare.  Pleasant looking and a great temperament so let's hope she has a good future.  She does however also have an Al Maher yearling which my friend retained and will be broken in soon.  I have green paddocks now and a reasonable weather outlook so things are looking up for Sapphi.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 2:08pm
Are things OK in the New England then ?   I thought they were bad, but maybe not so around Tenetrfield.  I know its bad at Walcha ?
animals before people.
Mumtaz View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mumtaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 7:19pm
My friend is at Inverell and according to him things were dire and they are only just starting to get green now.

At Tenterfield there was no grazing only dust since early winter, most of the creeks and dams were dry and many trees were dying.    Our creek was dry and one of our two dams.  The other was only a third full and must be spring fed and fortunately had not dried. We had some of the best pasture in the district, but that wasn't saying much.  Prior to winter things had been poor but not extreme.

Tenterfield had stacks of fires and an early one burnt houses on the perimeter of town. Our property borders on a national park and that particular fire burnt half that park in early Spring, but the main thrust was to the east.  So the fire came to within 500m of our place and started just over a km from our home.  We were lucky the wind blew to the east, but that meant it got the south of the township and the hundreds of acres of the east beyond. There were several other fires, especially on the eastern side. 

A few months later a fire came from the North West and burnt to within 500m again of us, this time on the north side.  So Tenterfield knows all about fires, as it has been burnt  60-70% around the township over several months.  Yet my friend at Inverell had it worse in that his leased paddocks were on fire.  

Since late October things got better for Tenterfield with rains, but a hail storm, I think late November, gave our house damage that the insurance company valued at above $35 000.  It stripped many of the surviving trees.  We are still waiting on a new roof, but I got two years worth of water in the dams that night.  Things have been green since, although last night's hail storm again leaked water into my bedroom because of the prior hail damage, but to a minor extent fortunately.  I want a new roof/new ceiling before the next hail storm.  But I know the property can manage well now to next winter at least so that is the main thing.  We are so lucky in that 99% of our property's  trees survived, unlike many other properties in Tenterfield.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 11:39pm
That sounds good Mumtaz.     Best of luck with it all,,,,,,you are in a better state than lots of others.  
I dread a hail storm.    Having been thru a massive one in Sydney ,,,,,
Cheers.
animals before people.
Mumtaz View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mumtaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 10:46am
Thanks

At this stage I know how lucky we have been and my horse feed bill has halved in the last few weeks.

I am foolishly entertaining the hope that the worst is over for Tenterfield.  I hope things improve for you, forum members and basically all of Australia as well. Not least because then injured unbroken mares are more like to have a future.
 Post Reply Post Reply