Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Ride Like a Girl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ride Like a Girl
    Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 8:26pm
perhaps it should be re-titled 'Hatch-ing a Champion Jockey'.  

I wonder if he's flattered, being portrayed by Sam Neill? 

the idiot protesters were there to welcome Rachel Griffiths and co, at the premiere...do they really think they'll make a difference...?

I'm going to see it this week...I suspect there will be a few truths stretched in the name of art...

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
crooked_gambler View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 8:42pm
Doesn’t open to the general public for a couple of weeks.
Will be interesting to see how they portray Weiry
This space has been intentionally left blank
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by crooked_gambler crooked_gambler wrote:

Doesn’t open to the general public for a couple of weeks.
Will be interesting to see how they portray Weiry

Just saw that. I assumed it would be on because the Ritz had a special preview tonight.

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 9:20pm

Ride Like a Girl filmmakers ignore Darren Weir scandal, celebrate Michelle Payne's victory

Rachel Griffiths's biopic about Melbourne Cup-winning jockey Michelle Payne, Ride Like a Girl, will remain unchanged despite horse trainer Darren Weir being banned from horseracing for four years.

Key points:

• The producer of Ride Like a Girl has elected not to change anything in the film after the controversy surrounding key character and horse trainer Darren Weir
  • Weir was banned earlier this year from horseracing for four years for using electronic prods on his horses
  • Director Rachel Griffiths said the controversy was "not relevant" as she wanted to make a feminist sports film "that would make men cry"

Weir played an integral part in Payne's history-making ride on Prince of Penzance, with actor Sullivan Stapleton (Animal Kingdom, 300: Rise of an Empire) cast to play him.

Police and racing authorities raided Weir's Warrnambool and Ballarat stables in January this year.

He was arrested and released, but was later banned from racing for four years by Racing Victoria for using electronic prods known as jiggers on his horses.

It was a dramatic fall from grace for one of Australia's leading horse trainers.

Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 9:30pm
An inspiring true story of a courageous young woman who battled brutal oppression but triumphed to become the worlds best jockey.Thumbs Up

I rate this tearjerker - 4 hankies.Cry
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 9:36pm
Sullivan Stapleton been out and about doing any press?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 9:39pm
Haven't seen him.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 10:37pm
With the fact we see tv series and films about far worse people, such as Charles Manson and Carl Williams, I have no problem with Weir being portrayed in a movie.
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 10:53pm
Spice the movie up by showing Darren Weir needling and zapping the hell out of P.O.P in the saddling enclosure

Looks good though and good luck with the movie M.Payne
EAD
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 10:58pm
Might just wait for it to be on TV
Doesn’t sound like something i would pay To go and watch
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 1:36am
Don't mind that they leave Weir's corruption out of it ... it is likely to have plenty of fiction anyway ... just let it be entertaining!Cry

If it were a doco, and they tried to "soup it up"Embarrassed with BS - say like they did with "The Australian Dream" - people will just turn their back on it.
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 7:18am
What’s her sexuality got to do with anything?
She’s got a boyfriend
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 2:47pm
Exactly my point, everything these days is turned in to a sexuality Sh/t show
EAD
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 9:31pm
Who mentioned her sexuality ?  Has something been taken down ?

I keep re-reading the thread but I can't find anything to do with sexuality at all.

An inane query re. her sexual preferences which has no place on these forums.

Edited by Gay3 - 11 Sep 2019 at 10:37pm
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 9:36pm
Agree.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 9:48pm
Some comments have been deleted
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 3:07am
Cheers.  Fair enough too.  

Thanks for the clarification.  I thought I was losing the plot.  

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 12:18pm
Activist stupidity knows no bounds LOL

·
ANIMAL ACTIVISTS SCORE SPECTACULAR OWN GOAL IN THE TALE OF TWO TAY TAYS

The Coalition for the Protection of Racehorses latest pathetic attempt to attack the Ride Like A Girl movie is to make comparisons to the recently unveiled statue of AFLW player Tayla Harris, which has spectacularly backfired.

We realise CPR aren't known for their research skills, but you think they would have worked out that Tayla goes to the races, is an ambassador for harness racing and racehorse owner.

In just a few days CPR have publicly attacked Taylor Swift for using her profile to promote horse racing, whilst celebrating Tayla Harris who uses her profile to promote horse racing!

Both Michelle Payne and Tayla Harris deserve equal praise, gender equality isn't a competition.

Animal activism however, is highly competitive, it's all about who can shout "Look At Me" the loudest and make the most ridiculous social media post.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Nocturnal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nocturnal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 7:16pm
Went to see the movie today , very underwhelming and fanciful for a true story ..

-actors trying to be jockeys
-jockeys trying to be actors , didn’t work
-horses being loaded into the melb cup gates hairier than a Greeks back
-a lot of airtime at Weir stables and not a jigger or jogger for that matter in sight
-surely old man Payne can not be as bigger ass as portrayed
- written by a feminist for that audience I would suggest

One woman clapped when she won the race , I wonder what she thought was going to happen?

I suspect it will have appeal to the racing fraternity but appeal to the wider community might be minimal .
I note Leigh Paatsch , film reviewer for the Herald sun gave it 2/5 and a caning . Shame but have to agree .
The only problem with backing winners ? You never have enough on....
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 7:29pm
Thanks Noccie, that's a shame, and what I feared ... oh well, might wait for the Netflix release coming very soon.

Maybe they will donate it to schools with a virtue signaling Lesson Plan, like they have with Adam Goodes' recent flop. 
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Redemption View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 8:30pm
Its hard to even come close to the Phar Lap film.
Phar Lap is one of the greatest films ever made, globally.
It is certainly the best Australian movie ever made. And by quite a distance.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 8:33pm
Better than Kinscem?
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 8:53pm
I think they have altered a few facts to suit an agenda.
Thought it was gelati. 1/5
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 3:55am
So far as horse racing movies go, I liked Sea Biscuit and Secretariat, and without saying, Phar Lap, but one of them beats Let It Ride.Big smile
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 3:55am
*none
marble View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 8:09am
Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

*none

great movie Doc - best race was when he asked everyone for their tips until there was only one horse left no-one had tipped. Up it gets!
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2019 at 1:02am
LOL... I shouldn't really laugh though.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 1:59pm
Apparently it has more appeal to the non racing fraternity.

After less than 2 weeks in cinemas, RIDE LIKE A GIRL has become the highest grossing Australian film of 2019. The box office total now stands at $5.3m.

RIDE LIKE A GIRL was released on 26th September by Transmission Films and it is currently screening at 280 cinemas around the country. It is the feature directorial debut of Rachel Griffiths and it stars Teresa Palmer as Michelle Payne and Sam Neill as her father Paddy Payne. Stevie Payne has been receiving critical acclaim for playing himself in the film.

Director Rachel Griffiths said “RIDE LIKE A GIRL’s dream run continues. It shows the unmet appetite for positive female stories. In a good year for Australian film we’re ecstatic that this film is being embraced by all ages. We’re only in our second week and we hope to be a stayer – but audiences are going to see it a second time so this horse still has a long race to run.”

Richard Payten and Andrew Mackie from Transmission Films said:  “We’re delighted audiences are loving and recommending this wonderful movie. Michelle Payne’s story is enthralling cinema goers from very young to very old. She’s a heroine for us all. We’re hearing reports of audiences cheering ‘Go Michelle!’ in the cinema.”

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 2:19pm
Not a surprise Gay.

Those that Michelle has pi#$ed off within the industry would never go and see the movie and non racing Australians would only know her from that one race.

If you did not know anything about the family's situation or her career, or her clash with just about every section of the industry, then the movie is a pretty good story.
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 2:22pm
I believe most of what you've said about Michele, her family and reputation in the industry resides solely in your own mind Voyager.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>