Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Danny Frawley - RIP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Danny Frawley - RIP
    Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 7:51pm
What incredibly sad news Cry He & his wife lived literally up the road & round the corner from us.
How gutting for the football world.
Danny Frawley is trending on Twitter so it's no secret but won't change the tittle untill it's released officially.

AFL figure dies in car crash at Millbrook

Mark Buttler, Andrew Koubaridis, Herald Sun

• An AFL figure has died in a single-vehicle smash west of Melbourne.

The driver died at the scene from injuries suffered when his vehicle hit a tree at Millbrook, near Gordon which is 20km east of Ballarat, at 1.30pm.

The accident scene is close to the corner of Old Melbourne and Ryans roads.

Edited by Gay3 - 09 Sep 2019 at 8:11pm
    Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
    crooked_gambler View Drop Down
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 7:55pm
    Only celebrated his birthday yesterday

How awful for everyone who loved him
    This space has been intentionally left blank
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 8:02pm
    On 7 news now, confirmed
    Dr E View Drop Down
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 8:08pm
    Oh wow, that is terrible ... a real character.Unhappy
    In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
    VSP. View Drop Down
    Premium
    Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VSP. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 8:17pm
    Sad news. RIP Danny. Condolences to family & friends.
    www.snowshoecats.webs.com
    TJMitchell View Drop Down
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 9:07pm
    One of the genuinely nice blokes in footy. Terrible news.

Neroli Meadows doing incredibly well holding it together on fox footy atm
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 9:17pm
    Andy Maher sounded absolutely devastated on SEN this arvo
    Thinking of all his mates tonight.
    VOYAGER View Drop Down
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 11:08pm
    I am not as involved with Mr Frawley, but anyone who can get Richmond into a finals series, is a damn good coach.

Condolences to his, and the AFL family.
    Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
    Redemption View Drop Down
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 2:17am
    Absolutely devastating.
    Had such a charming way to make people smile. It was natural to him. True inner beauty.
    Always happy to have a laugh at himself too. Very endearing.
    Massive loss. 

RIP Danny

Heart
    djebel View Drop Down
    Premium
    Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 11:29am
    This is terribly sad.

Is this being thought of - speculated as suicide ?
    reductio ad absurdum
    Passing Through View Drop Down
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 11:46am
    He is survived by his wife Anita and daughters Chelsea, Danielle and Keeley.

If you or someone you know needs help, contact BeyondBlue on 1300 224 636 or Lifeline on 13 11 14RUOK? is a suicide prevention charity that aims to start life-changing conversations

Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 12:08pm
    PT, has it been confirmed it was suicide? Sadly, reading between the lines in the reports in the press much has been made of his 'mental issues', even the police have described the accident as a " significant collision scene ". Looking at the photo in the press it appears the car must have made contact with the tree at very high speed, it has just not skidded off the road.
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 12:12pm
    Mainstream news generally states an insight into the actual accident, even pre-investigation, eg, "sharp turn, wet, excessive speeds", etc etc. News did not do any of that speculation yesterday and most articles are listing Lifeline, as PT has quoted.

Passing Through View Drop Down
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 1:26pm
    Bob, as Redemption says when it is presumed to be a self harm newspapers put those on the foot of the article or on tv they say ''if you are having issues contact....''
    Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 1:33pm
    PT, OK I see there is a footnote at the bottom of the page in this morning's press, which I missed.
    Gay3 View Drop Down
    Moderator Group
    Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 1:41pm
    Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

This is terribly sad.

Is this being thought of - speculated as suicide ?

From a local friend y/day: Single vehicle accident usually means suicide according to my Censored who is head of TOG

My own thoughts are: Quiet country road with little or no traffic likely to interfere with possible 'plans'.
    Weekend commitments & birthday ticked off.
    Photo appears to depict a high speed impact (tyre marks will no doubt reveal more)
    The least likely are often the most extreme suffers of depression, therefore unlikely to be offered the help needed by their nearest & dearest.
    No doubt there'll be an inquest & a terrible loss regardless of circumstances Unhappy
    Gay3 View Drop Down
    Moderator Group
    Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 1:43pm

Racing also mourns Danny Frawley

Archie Alexander didn't know Danny Frawley for the first 55 years of Frawley's life, but the former Irishman found himself struggling with the news of his sudden death on Monday alongside people who had known him his entire life.

"It was quite a new friendship but a really good friendship," Alexander said on Tuesday. "He was a really good bloke.

"You can know some people 20 years and they die and it hits you the same as someone like Danny you've known just a year."

Frawley was best known in AFL circles for his days as a St Kilda player and later as a coach of Richmond, but he has always held a passion for racing and not just thoroughbreds.

He raced greyhounds and harness horses and was on the board of Harness Racing Victoria.

But in more recent times, Frawley was running a small agistment farm for thoroughbreds after buying the property from his wife Anita's retiring father Barry James.

It was just 12 months ago that Frawley moved into Sylvan Lodge near Ballarat and for the Ireland-born-and-raised Alexander, Frawley would burst into their lives as this great Aussie larrikin.

"Most of the year he's be wearing the shorts and the big boots and he's coming around the corner with a big smile on his face, taking the piss out of someone," Alexander said.

"He was a neighbor of mine. He's been doing up a spelling farm and we had a few spellers with him. Whether you needed to borrow a tractor or a lawnmower, he'd be the first man around driving it or giving you a hand.

"Since he opened up, he needed a bit of business so from day one we sent horses there and we haven't stopped supporting him. He did a really good job and was very thorough on what he wanted.

"It was only a very small, boutique spelling farm but he had it up and running and had it looking really good and that's the sad thing I guess. He was really enjoying it and took a lot of pleasure out of his little farm.

"He was one of those blokes that came into the stable and no matter who you were - a strapper, a rider, a vet, a farrier - he would always have a good chat and have some fun with everyone.

"He's always in good form with plenty of good humour and we had great banter and just got on well whether it was racing or life or families.

"There are plenty of mean, nasty people that are still alive are you've got a really good bloke that's gone too soon."

13 months ago I didn’t know Danny.
    Since we’ve become good friends with him being neighbors, always cracked me up with a one liner and was loved by my family and staff. Such a loss. We will miss him pic.twitter.com/JFrZRMHnot

— Archie Alexander (@archi3alexander) September 9, 2019

We are devastated to hear of the sad passing of a great man and friend of CMR, Danny Frawley. Our sincere condolences to his family for their huge loss, Danny will be missed by many. https://t.co/43Ct8I9yw6

— Ciaron Maher Racing (@cmaherracing) September 9, 2019

To my good mate Danny Frawley ! All our close mutual friends will be hurting badly today but we all will remember your passion & intensity about all things life & sport. My son has never forgotten your precious advice & it’s been a privilege knowing you. Love to Anita & kids #RIP pic.twitter.com/QkNuGnwcyw

— Manny Gelagotis 🐎⚽️🇬🇷 (@hvasstan) September 9, 2019

Devastating. We have lost a champion bloke.
    A presence like no other. It has been an honour, a privilege and lots of fun.
    Our love and prayers to Anita, Chelsea, Danielle, Keeley and all your beautiful family.
    Rest in Peace Spud....we will miss you. pic.twitter.com/lXXncyjYDv

— Dan O'Sullivan (@DOSullivanRace) September 10, 2019
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 2:25pm
    Danny and Anita own a share in Captain Arjento who runs at Pakenham today for Dan O’Sullivan
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 8:04pm
    The police have said it won’t be counted towards the road toll.
    Pretty much confirms it.
    Brudder_A View Drop Down
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 11:16pm
    Originally posted by crooked_gambler crooked_gambler wrote:

The police have said it won’t be counted towards the road toll.
    Pretty much confirms it.

(a bit depressing) Four good looking women in the house.... 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-10/danny-frawley-family-release-statement-about-remarkable-man/11497996?section=sport

Sad for them

Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 8:06pm
    Gee whiz I hope this whole tragedy is looked into deeply. Very deeply.
    Gay3 View Drop Down
    Moderator Group
    Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 2:49pm
    Anita Frawley:

On Monday, the love of my life was tragically taken from my girls and I.

Many have speculated on the cause and lead up to this tragedy. Danny, as a champion of mental health would want me to continue his legacy and be open with the public of the events leading up to this heartbreak.

While the circumstances of the event are unconfirmed and will remain uncertain until the investigations are complete, it was true that Danny's mental health had deteriorated in recent weeks.

As is widely known, Danny had experienced and lived with depression dating back a number of years. But to his credit, he had put up his hand and accepted psychiatric treatment, counselling and medication. He recovered and returned to being the Danny of old.

The road leading up to last Monday's events began 8 months ago when Danny made the decision to take himself off his prescribed medication.
    At this point Danny felt invincible, like the true competitor and proud man that he was; he felt that he had beaten the disease.

In fact, he felt bullet proof, which contributed to his decision to remove himself from his support network including his psychiatric care and not continuing to work with his team of mental health professionals.

The reason I am making this public is that I want this to be a reminder to all those grappling with mental health conditions and to those whom have made progress with their wellbeing that you should always seek help from professionals when considering making decisions surrounding your mental health, even when you feel as though you have fully recovered.

Our final memory of Danny is one we will cherish forever, a night spent sitting around our family table, playing board games and laughing on his 56th birthday. He will never be forgotten and will forever be in our hearts.

I would like to leave everyone with this quote from Danny, "manning up in the past was to suffer in silence, manning up now is to put your hand up."
    We invite all those who would like to farewell our remarkable man to join us at RSEA Park - St Kilda Football Club, 32/60 Linton St, Moorabbin, VIC, 3189 at 3pm on Wednesday the 18th of September.

We will be wearing a touch of blue in memory of Danny and for the significance of beyondblue (https://www.beyondblue.org.au/), PukaUp (https://www.pukaup.com/) and One In Five (https://oneinfive.com.au/).

To show your condolences, we ask that you please donate to beyondblue in honour of Danny.
    Danny, you were the love of my life and will continue to be until our paths cross again.
    Since Monday, there has been a gaping hole in our family which will never be repaired.

The girls and I are finding it difficult to accept you are gone and our lives as we knew them will never be the same.

We miss you. We will always miss you. Anita xx

Dizzy View Drop Down
    Premium
    Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 3:31pm
    Thanks Gay. Thoughts are with Anita and the rest of the family.
    oneonesit View Drop Down
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 6:42pm
    The unfortunate reality is that for all the talk / discussion/programs re suicide prevention the actual rate is not improving in Australia. Reflects how complicated life is getting I suspect. We have lost the plot in my opinion. 
    Refer ALP Election Promises
    oneonesit View Drop Down
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 6:57pm
    Cant even tell someone they are "going to hell" as a throw away line without being portrayed as a monster. Or tell someone to "put a sock in it" - the horror of it all. Yet we facilitate 12 year old's to under sex changes - & demonise those of us that question "multiculturalism" or the new religion of "climate change". For all our efforts as a society to be more "inclusive" we seem further away than ever imo. 
    Gay3 View Drop Down
    Moderator Group
    Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 6:58pm
    An interesting take on the subject I think Smile

Allison Davies, Brain Care Specialist
    12 September at 18:32 ·

The way I see most Mental Health Campaigns, including R U Ok Day, is that they’re managed by inspirational leaders, created with jaw-droppingly good intent but based on (unfortunately) old science!

Like most frameworks of the modern Western World - they focus on behavioural change. Specifically, reaching out and talking to someone.

What we now know is that a brain that is highly anxious, traumatised, depressed, shut down or in survival mode is a brain that will find talking exceptionally difficult!

And the more overwhelming those mental experiences, the harder any cognitive process (including talking) will be!

We are effectively asking the most vulnerable people in our society to do something they can’t possibly do!

This is devastatingly unhelpful.

If we could move all of the mental health campaigns away from the ‘talk to someone’ rhetoric and towards what recent research shows us to be true, we’d be focusing on regulating the nervous system, not talking.

On connection, before communication.

Educating the world about how to lower a highly aroused nervous system, so that our limbic system can calm down, so that our body can unclench, so that our cognitive functioning begins to return.

So that eventually we might be able to form analytical thoughts, make sense of our experiences and take steps to get better.

This is 100%, hand on heart, devastatingly critical to our future.

And it isn’t just my opinion, it’s science.

Until we shift the focus of mental health campaigns from behavioural action to regulatory action we will have a world filled with people doing the only thing they possibly can.

Staying safe.

Which involves functioning at our best, smiling, carrying on and holding it together. Because a world that asks of us that which we can’t possibly do is not a safe place.

And in THAT world talking isn’t an option, it’s an impossibility.
    Second Chance View Drop Down
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 7:03pm
    I can speak from direct family experience in terms of mental/depressive illness, and almost always associated physical health issues.

There are any number of marvelous psychotherapists out there, along with competent physicians, and at least some if not most of the time family support.

However many affected people reach a stage where they themselves are either incapable or unwilling to utilize that support.  And we're talking about intelligent people in addition to those less blessed.  

That's when it then becomes really frustrating for those attempting to assist, knowing that matters are most likely to regress.  Without of course losing sight of the fact that would-be helpers aren't suffering nearly as badly as those affected.

oneonesit View Drop Down
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 7:08pm
    People get sick of being let down Gay - & its getting worse. Financial institutions , Religious institutions , Political parties/leaders - i mean just who sets the bar these days ?
     Post Reply Post Reply