Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Cox Plate 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 3:39pm
I would like to see the MRC have the same power as the MVRC to have final say in major race fields. The MC always has qualified horses that are grossly out of form, but because they are qualified they prevent a lesser qualified but in form horse from starting. MVRC has run the race with less than a full field, but not allowing lesser lights to start just to make up numbers. They refused to include the Caulfield Cup winner a start in Cox Plate one year. Humidor, sadly out of form and does not qualify under the current performance criteria of MVRC committee.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

In what year would a Australian Cup winner not get a run in the Cox Plate ?

What is interesting is they had a full field and accepted a late entry.

Now whilst Black Heart Barts form demands he be in the race I am not sure they should be taking late entries when the race is over subscribed.

Even is trainer Lindsay Smith expected to miss out due to needing to be a late entry.

BHB will faint before the turn. Humidor, the only horse to give Winx a race in years and working his way into form, won't get a run.
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Balciano View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balciano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 4:11pm
To be fair to Harlem, he did run 3rd in the Caulfield Stakes last start, beating home Avilius, Humidor and Homesman.

Its unlucky for Humidor, but I don't have an issue with the Aust Cup winner getting a start.

The year the Caulfield Cup winner missed a start, Cole Diesel had also won the Toorak the previous week. But the MVRC said he had no WFA form, and gave a start instead to The Phantom, who'd been placed once at WFA, and the 3 yr old Zabeel, who'd won the MV Stakes then run unplaced in the Guineas in his only Group race performances. As it turns out they both went onto greater things.

I like the MVRC discretionary powers, it adds an element of drama to the race, a bit like selection of the Miracle Mile fields in the old days.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by Balciano Balciano wrote:

To be fair to Harlem, he did run 3rd in the Caulfield Stakes last start, beating home Avilius, Humidor and Homesman.

Its unlucky for Humidor, but I don't have an issue with the Aust Cup winner getting a start.

The year the Caulfield Cup winner missed a start, Cole Diesel had also won the Toorak the previous week. But the MVRC said he had no WFA form, and gave a start instead to The Phantom, who'd been placed once at WFA, and the 3 yr old Zabeel, who'd won the MV Stakes then run unplaced in the Guineas in his only Group race performances. As it turns out they both went onto greater things.

I like the MVRC discretionary powers, it adds an element of drama to the race, a bit like selection of the Miracle Mile fields in the old days.

Gallen wishes Te Akau Nick was in that sort of form but he's lengths off it - welcome to the wfa championship of Australia.Ouch

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 4:16pm
Shark

Simon Cameron

Foxseal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxseal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 6:13pm
Any reason why Kluger was included in the field??

Hasn’t won a race since Apr 2016.....over 3 years ago!!!

Has had 9 starts in the last 12 months and has only placed twice.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 6:55pm
Was he invited ?
reductio ad absurdum
jacko1 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacko1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by Balciano Balciano wrote:

Exactly. They have actually been milking it for the past week or so, and won't mind the Humidor controversy to get some press for the race. 
WarriSymbol View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarriSymbol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 8:47pm
Why on earth would the MVRC invite Kluger?
Placed to Winx but plenty of good to average Oz horses have done that.
Kluger vs Humidor.Three facts.
Humidor is the younger horse.
Humidor has won six races since Kluger last won a race (incl 3xGr1).
Humidor performed the better of their last starts.
jacko1 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacko1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 9:02pm
The MVRC basically admitted they messed up and will be making changes in terms of all the invitations/exempt races/bonuses, meaning their hands were tied when it came to who to exclude. They have had small fields for a few years and seemed to think they would again this year. Harlem's connections said they wouldn't be there but there is a bonus on offer so they thought why not?

They should invite one or two internationals but not have all these other ways to get in... why does the ATC Derby winner need need an exemption for example?
Red Rancher View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Rancher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 9:05pm
I have a wager on Castlevechio at 50/1 but prefer Dancetaria at the current price of 16/1 who I have also backed to win less. If the Japanese horse doesn't win its an absolute lottery and there is lot's of value. Avilius 12/1 on one average run? At his top he is very hard to beat.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 7:35am
Originally posted by Red Rancher Red Rancher wrote:

I have a wager on Castlevechio at 50/1 but prefer Dancetaria at the current price of 16/1 who I have also backed to win less. If the Japanese horse doesn't win its an absolute lottery and there is lot's of value. Avilius 12/1 on one average run? At his top he is very hard to beat.

How is it possible to run 2.14.96 for 2000m on a good track?

Simon Cameron

furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 8:21am
My guess uphill and down?
kavg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kavg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 1:02pm
My guess is that we overexaggerate the pace of UK races. Many are run at just above cantering pace. And I have seen a lot of UK races and feel qualified to make this statement. There are also races that are run at fast paces and those where speed goes on from 800 _1000m out.
Prejudice is an emotional attachment to ignorance.
DiEM25 for the world.
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 1:21pm
Enable won the Gr1 Coral-Eclipse at Sandown on a good-firm in 2.04.77 which is considered about 1/2 second above standard there.

But yes, 2m 14s is slow. In fact it's the slowest time for the race since 1985 (wasn't a 2000m race prior to this).
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 1:23pm
Also it may have said 'good' track but it certainly wasn't
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 1:23pm
Been hearing for a long while how o/s jockeys say our racing are sit and sprint types and their pace is more even but every time I watch an o/s staying race they just lope along a bit better than evens then from the turn the whips are flaying and their run ins are much longer than ours, the times they run can be farcical.
Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

Been hearing for a long while how o/s jockeys say our racing are sit and sprint types and their pace is more even but every time I watch an o/s staying race they just lope along a bit better than evens then from the turn the whips are flaying and their run ins are much longer than ours, the times they run can be farcical.
I'll preface this by saying not all races are run the same.  Aussies races are generally run hard at the start to get position then speed backs off quickly before they go again around 600-400 out.  That's what they refer to as 'sit n sprint'.  European races start off at an easy gallop then gradually build speed and pressure.  Its more of a progressive tempo.  
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 4:14pm
Yes that’s why the Galileo’s do much better there they they do here in the big races. They’re looking me big Mac trucks going through their gears. Our racing requires something more like a Ferrari!
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 4:27pm

They LOOK like they are going slower because they settle perfectly and stride efficiently. #Generallyspeaking
reductio ad absurdum
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by Baguette Baguette wrote:

Yes that’s why the Galileo’s do much better there they they do here in the big races. They’re looking me big Mac trucks going through their gears. Our racing requires something more like a Ferrari!
Well that’s a bit of a mess! I hope you know what I mean because there’s no edit.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 5:13pm
I find looking at Euro middle distance races peculiar because everything that happens in the final 2 furlongs looks like it's in slow motion. That's if anything happens at all. In contrast to Australian races where races often completely change complexion in the final 50m.

Simon Cameron

Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

They LOOK like they are going slower because they settle perfectly and stride efficiently. #Generallyspeaking

Never said they didn't settle djebel, I said " they lope along" but when they run a mile in 1-44. on a good track and the going was perfect it makes you wonder, I need no convincing their horses are superior , I'll leave it at that.
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 11:25am
I know 3yos generally attract support in this race, but the current price on Castelvecchio has me scratching my head.
jacko1 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacko1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 12:17pm
The Yes Yes Yes effect?
sunlinesusie View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunlinesusie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 5:28pm
The Cox Plate is my favourite race, but I'm really missing one special girl this year, she would have blitzed this field.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 6:04pm
Not so sure about that suze
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 7:37pm
Cox Plate ratings (no dismissing the Japanese form here!)

1. Black Heart Bart - 83. If this was a field full of local runners, he would be the top rater, but he faces some stiff international form lines here. Still a place hope and is good overs @ $21.00.
2. Avilius - 77. If we strike a wet track he gets pushed up the ladder, but I just can not see him finishing in the top four.
3. Kluger - 86. His two runs in Australia in the autumn were high class. On his Japanese form he is about 2.5 lengths off the favourite, but he is a definite place hope.
4. Harlem - 75. If we were at Flemington I would put him above Avilius, but will do well to finish top ten.
5. Homesman - 81. Going okay, but Cape Of Good Hope went past him like he was glued to the fence in the last 100m, last time out. He likes the course, so he is a top four hope.
6. Kings Will Dream - 83. Top win in the Turnbull, but he does rise 4.5 kilos, and he has drawn a terrible barrier. Not sure Hughie will be winning five Cox Plates in a row, but he can run well.
7. Te Akau Shark - 73. Not sure why he is here, but good luck to connections and the punters who back him. His form is not as good as NZ gallopers who have won or run well here, so he will need to imrpove significantly just to finish top four.
8. Danceteria - 84. I am worried he missed the run at Cauflield, because the trainer did say he would need it. If he is near peak fitness he can run top four.
9. Lys Gracieux - 90. The only doubt for me is the travelling. If she has travelled well, and settled into her new surounds, she wins!
10. Magic Wand - 87. This mare has authentic group 1 form lines. Again the only problem for me is the travel. unce June she has been to England, U.S, and Ireland and now Australia. If she has settled in the $13.00 is completely the wrong price, and she is good overs!
11. Cape Of Good Hope - 85. Good effort fresh in Australia. I am a little worried where he gets to in the run, but if he does not get back to last and if he gets the runs in the final 600m he can go close.
12. Mystic Journey - 81. She meets some high class thoroughbreds here. She does handle the track well, but if she can win this she the world is her oyster. For me she is a top four hope.
13. Verry Elleegant - 71. Not up to these on her spring form. Looking elsewhere.
14. Castelvecchio - 79. Is a big strong 3yo, and he looks well placed at the 2000m, but the draw is not ideal for him. No chnace of top four, but he can run fifth or sixth.
15. Humidor - 80. Not sure why he is an emergency here. His last run was good and he was strong late. If he gets a run he could be the first local home.
16. Mr Quickie - 72. Better suited in teh MV Cup, No chance here.
17. Gailo Chop - 75. Has gotten better and better this prep, but he does not run his best here and wait until Flemington and 2000m.
18. Dream Castle - 75. A level below the other internationals and be better off in the Mile.

Ratings order.

1. No. 9 Lys Garciuex - 90
2. No.10 Magic Wand   - 87
3. No. 3 Kluger       - 86
4. No.11 Cape Of Good Hope - 85
5. No. 8 Danceteria   - 84
6. No. 6 Kings Will Dream - 83

Add ins for any scratchings are No.1 & No.12.
Recommended Bet: $20 win No.9 Lys Graciuex
                 $10 win + $20 place No.11 Cape Of Good Hope
Precedent: No.1 Black Heart Bart

Good luck with all investments, and lots of winners for everyone!

Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Formerly Kincsem View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Formerly Kincsem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 1:09pm
It's actually an intriguing renewal. A lot of question marks against the local stock and we get a measure of multiple international form lines. Despite it lacking a local star or A+ horse, this race is critical to gauging Aus, Jap and Euro form lines.

The Japanese form translates very well here and typically I would have to make an extra rating allowance for Japanese horses. From memory it was something like a 6lb increase to their Japanese rating. So given Lys Garciuex is the highest rated horse they've sent, that is quite ominous.

Magic Wand beating a horse like Magical in a recent start makes it the clear 2nd choice and if the Jap horse hasn't traveled then it's hard to see it go very close.

Question marks are against, Verry Elegant (she might just love the pressure of the Cox plate), Mystic Journey (can she get a strong 2000m), Te Akau Shark (no idea what his level is).

Either way it should be a great spectacle. 
Grey Affair View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2019 at 12:56am
I think that if Lys Gracieux can run close to her best form, she should win. She's the best performer in the race.

I know everyone is bagging Te Akau Shark, but I gave him a high rating after his effort in the Epsom & am selecting him for second. Concerns are his wide alley & the possibility of a slowly run race.

For third, I like Mystic Journey. I think her 5th in the Turnbull was better than many believe as she was badly weighted in the set weights & penalties contest & still ran the best sectionals for the last 1600, 1400, 1200, 1000, 800, 600, 400 & 200m. From a more forward position, I expect her to finish in the placings.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>