Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

2019-20 Racing Season

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 5:23pm
Gee Pierro going well! He may quinella the Everest ! Plus he’s got a few good three year olds that get over a bit of ground so he might get a Derby or two again. One of my favourite racehorses and it’s great to see him doing so well as a stallion.
crooked_gambler View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 5:26pm
and yet the Pierro I bought into went like a donkey and was retired to pony club after 1 start beaten 95 lenghts
This space has been intentionally left blank
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 5:30pm
Is it true they call you the "kiss of !#* death"?  Tongue
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 6:25pm
Dante Pierro a 26 start maiden son of Pierro running at Geelong today
$80,000 yearling. Prize money just over 12,000 at present
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 6:36pm
On numbers he's as good as they come at the moment but if you get one of the bad ones they seem unable to gallop.  Don't have a clue what it takes but the Pierro/Redoute's seems to be the best for the stakes winners.  I've picked a few who can't gallop by his also -
from the 10 I picked from first crop two were stakes winners Pinot and Kentucky Breeze.  Gayatri may get one also sooner than later and Miss Shanti is an even placegetter.  But Pierro Moss retired with nothing, as did Rock on Drew and Lamarque.

My next crop only picked 8 but not much in the mix Perfect Pitch and Castel Sant'Angelo are city grade the rest three winners or next to nothing and three oops a daisy.

You'd think by now I'd know what to look for no the next crop back up to follow 10.   Bellevue Hill the best with Fiery Red finally a winner (I picked him for the Derby but Gai had him out early) who I'd like to go over a trip.  Two others have won including Peidra who ran a shocker last start but lots haven't run yet so maybe hopeless!

Might of learnt I only picked 7 this year.

I know I follow too many but he does throw some types I really love.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by crooked_gambler crooked_gambler wrote:

and yet the Pierro I bought into went like a donkey and was retired to pony club after 1 start beaten 95 lenghts

He was having an off day. Needed some of that Bart Cummings patience.
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 7:35pm
Anyone got any word on Hawkshot?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 7:40pm
Not me Judge, however no trials or nominations since he last raced six months ago hardly fills you with confidence.
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 7:44pm
Hawkshot sold to HK
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 7:45pm
Thumbs Up
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 7:45pm
May 2019
Lindsay Park co-trainer David Hayes lamented the sale of a potential star to Hong Kong.

Group II winner Hawkshot will do his racing under the care of champion Hong Kong trainer John Size next season after Sun Bloodstock sold the three-year-old for an undisclosed sum.

Hayes said Hawkshot, a son of the Melbourne Cup winner Fiorente, was far from the finished article but would have been one of the stable’s best performers in his four-year-old season.

“I’m disappointed about it,” Hayes, who trained Hawkshot in partnership with his son Ben and nephew Tom Dabernig, said.

“I was really excited about training him for next year, because I thought he would be my weight-for-age horse.

“He was placed in the (Australian) Guineas, won the Autumn Stakes, didn’t go to Sydney to be spelled and looked magnificent.”

Hayes said Hawkshot’s previous owner, the Sun Bloodstock operation, must have received a “ridiculous” offer to part with the winner of three of 10 starts.

“He was raw and he would have been ready to show his best in the spring,” Hayes said.

“He’ll be a big loss to the stable because he’s a very exciting horse.”
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 7:48pm
Thought he was one who might actually measure up in open company. Mr Quickie was good yesterday but I’ll be surprised if he’s up to it when the serious competition arrives. Two very good mares yesterday but a very thin batch of 4yos.

Extra Brut?
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 7:49pm
Extra Brut also gone to HK
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 7:49pm
Thanks SD. That is disappointing.
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 7:50pm
AdaHunta View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdaHunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 7:54pm
If you were a Hawkshot fan Judge you might wanna keep an eye on his full brother POWER SCHEME 

Being aimed @ the Derby 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 8:06pm
Didn’t realise that Ada. Be interested to see how PS goes. Hasn’t done much wrong so far.
AdaHunta View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdaHunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 9:33pm
Was a good win firstup Judge 

Gelded and carrying 60kg giving them all 4.5kg bar the fav who carried 58kg

I was ON and wasn’t confident when he started to drift due to the condition he was carrying definately in need of the run and plenty of improvement ahead

Hes a nice horse G2 STUTT STAKES 1600m might be his next run

furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 9:18pm
After the last few days the question is can Pierro make it to being Champion Sire this season?  A win or a quinella in the Golden Rose, a win in the Golden Eagle etc etc.  It all would add up and he is already showing very good form from his runners.
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 8:26am
Interesting to see that the Wednesday meeting has a 2yo race at the not often used 900 meter distance at Flemington. First 2yo races use to be in SA with the Fulham Park Plate but SA breeding is such that that is long gone.

Also an VRC Oaks Trial (1800m) and VRC Derby Trail (1800m) which offer the winners ballot exemptions to the VRC Oaks and VRC Derby during the VRC Spring Carnival.

Historically I always thought that the Derby Trial Stakes @ Geelong was the top prep race for the VRC Derby.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 9:34am
well Pierro has made it to the Leading Sire for the season a week before the Everest.  Will he remain there over the next few weeks?

He has two in the Everest and I am Invincible, Dundeel, Fastnet Rock, Not a Single Doubt, Exceed and Excel and Blackfriars the next six stallions will have no chance to win that race.  Zoustar at 8th has a chance as does Snitzel who is running 12th.  Nicconi is back 16th and also has to get his chance Nature Strip to go a strong 1200m and not overrace.  But even the others not in the top ten will go straight to first with a win.

This is unlike the first year of the Everest where Snitzel was so far ahead he may of kept the lead with a different sire winning the prize.  While last year he would of been caught at the time but still in front at the end of the season despite I am Invincible having a blinder.

There is alot of money going into the pot over the next four weeks.  So the list will be totally different in November.

furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 9:38am
I apologise to Not a Single Doubt - totally forgot Classique Legend is by him!  So having started the season with the first two G1 winners he also has as chance here.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 5:15pm
Nice to see Pierro back on top of the sires standings but also nice to see a changing of the guard with plenty of younger stallions now up in the top 20 for the year.

While I am Invincible foaled in 2004 has been closing on the top for a few seasons now stallions born 2005 or after include

Pierro (2009) 1, Rubick (2011) 2, Declaration of War (2009) 3, Ocean Park (2008) 5, Zoustar (2010) 6, Nicconi (2005) 7, Lope de Vega (2007) 13, So you THink (2006) 14, Smart Missile (2008) 16, Dundeel (2009) 19, All Too Hard (2009) 20.

The broodmare sires standings also makes me think the crop of 1996 must of been exceptional as they are Redoute's Choice 1, Testa Rossa 3, Fantastic Light 5, Commands 16 and Stravinsky 17.

1986 also deserves a mention with Danehill, Sunday Silence and Zabeel in that crop!  Pretty influencial stallions.

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2020 at 1:22pm
How many 3 year olds have taken on their elders in group company at WFA ?

Yes Yes Yes, Castelvecchio ( beat all bar the Japanese champion ) Standout, Dalasan. Who else ?

This is looking a very exciting crop.

It is both a positive and a negative they are all colts.

It could be argued none of them are the best of their division.

Bivouac > Yes Yes Yes
Yes Yes Yes > Standout
Shadow Hero > Castelvecchio
Super Seth > Dalasan

reductio ad absurdum
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 8:22am
Depends who's racing them.  Darley sometimes keeps them going longer.  The Inghams definately did.

I'm trying to get back the excitement which I had at the beginning of the season.  Been living under a black cloud but with the commencement of G1 racing this Saturday the good horses are definately coming back.

Hope the smoke finally clears from our skies and we have a wet autumn.  The last thing I normally want is a wet Autumn but this year bring on the rain.  The Exceed and Excel's will love it.  Super Seth will love it.  Dalasan ran ok coming home fast so I'd say he handles it also.

Hope everyone comes over to the winners and roughies comp (we only have to pick for the G1 races) to join in the fun.  Also hopes my brain finally comes out of the cloud and decides to participate!
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 2:19pm
You are right djebel, but you missed a few good ones from the short list.

Libertini, Funstar, Probabeel Flit, Southbank and Subpoenaed, should ensure a quality fillies division, while Loving Gabby looks a good Newmarket chance for the age group.

Obviously Exceedence is good, and horses like Anaheed, Dubious and Free Of Debt should be competitive in races like the Oakleigh Plate and Goodwood "Handicap".

If we see Prince Fawaz, Kubrick, Reloaded and Microphone recapture their two year old form, then they can give Shadow Hero and Castelvecchio a run for their money.

True Detective and Pandemic returned well, but they might be more Brisbane level at the moment and horses like Groundswell, Missile Mantra and others look as though they will add to the second level stakes events.

Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2020 at 4:55pm
Butta bing butta a f**king booom 
reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2020 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by VOYAGER VOYAGER wrote:

Libertini, Funstar, Probabeel Flit, Southbank and Subpoenaed, should ensure a quality fillies division, while Loving Gabby looks a good Newmarket chance for the age group.

Obviously Exceedence is good, and horses like Anaheed, Dubious and Free Of Debt should be competitive in races like the Oakleigh Plate and Goodwood "Handicap".

If we see Prince Fawaz, Kubrick, Reloaded and Microphone recapture their two year old form, then they can give Shadow Hero and Castelvecchio a run for their money.

True Detective and Pandemic returned well, but they might be more Brisbane level at the moment and horses like Groundswell, Missile Mantra and others look as though they will add to the second level stakes events.

You have named about 20 3 year olds and did not mention one that just blew away the older dromedaries at "group 1" level. .

LOL
reductio ad absurdum
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2020 at 5:29pm
Pretty good crop.  If this rain keeps up we will find out which of them handle the wet (other than the obvious Exceed and Excels and Snitzels)
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2020 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Originally posted by VOYAGER VOYAGER wrote:

You have named about 20 3 year olds and did not mention one that just blew away the older dromedaries at "group 1" level. .

LOL

That is right but I did name two winners one of which defeated the older sprinters
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>