Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

The Lindsey Smith Warrnambool experiment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 7:06pm
I remember reading a really interesting story about Smith about a month ago. Went into a lot of his background, not sure which topic it’s posted under
I think djebel or Gay posted it
Discohips23 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Discohips23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 8:39pm
When the Warrnambool Carnival comes around, who do they present the Mercedes keys to?
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Originally posted by mc41 mc41 wrote:

The gutless FONC. Is backtracking already
Gutless wonderboy should be waterboy

Is he backing down ?

Smith has made a mountain out of a mole hill.

Now let me tell you I am no fan of the Hawkes let alone Wayne Hawkes but what he said was so insignificant it is not funny.

This has only blown up because of Smiths guilty complex.

I look forward to them bumping into each other on Saturday. Smith might open his trap but that will be all. Hopefully Racing.com and or channel 7 follow them about.

Backing down trying to save face
Cant sing,cant train,wont fight. 😂😂
SHOVHOG View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHOVHOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 9:58pm
When Wayne used the word “magic” we all knew what he was inferring. John would have given him a clip the next day.
" In gambling the many must lose in order for the few to win"
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 10:56am
Originally posted by Discohips23 Discohips23 wrote:

When the Warrnambool Carnival comes around, who do they present the Mercedes keys to?

They haven’t had that prize for about 4 years
brave_ponies View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brave_ponies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 12:51pm
Smith v Hawkes Grudge Match - ponies would pay money to see that!!!
Seriously, we watched that episode of ATL and thought it was just Wayne being a big-mouthed smart-asp. I.e. Nothing new.
As usual, the media has turned it into something it isn't. At least we've had a good laugh.
Must admit, Lindsey is growing on us, as a horseman and character. (If he wasn't a trainer he'd be a steward - that's gold!) And yeah, the hay account's looking plump too.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Discohips23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by SkyDancer SkyDancer wrote:

Originally posted by Discohips23 Discohips23 wrote:

They haven’t had that prize for about 4 years

‘‘Twas a figure of speech
Mr Grieves View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Grieves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 7:36pm
Everyone knew exactly what Fonc was insinuating, come on
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by Mr Grieves Mr Grieves wrote:

Everyone knew exactly what Fonc was insinuating, come on

And I would say the vast majority agree with it but will not go there in public.

reductio ad absurdum
Straight arrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 7:40pm
Is everyone missing the guy can train and he is doing nothing wrong!! I presume he is a threat to fonc and others? But Cummings surprises me! He is under no threat
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 7:59pm
Darren Weir could clearly train, that does not stop them.
reductio ad absurdum
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 6:38pm
Has picked up one of O’Briens imports

NEVER NO MORE (IRE)
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 6:40pm

LINDSEY MET STRUGGLING JARROD AND COULDN’T CARE LESS WHO KNOWS IT

December 4, 2019 11:38 am

One day last week, Lindsey Smith met Jarrod McLean for a coffee at a popular café in Warrnambool.

Given recent events, and constant mumblings about Smith and his alleged on-going relationship with McLean and Darren Weir, this did not seem a smart move by Smith.

McLean has been stood down from training over animal cruelty charges that will be heard in the New Year. He also faces a life ban after performance-enhancing EPO was found at his home.

Weir has been disqualified for four years for animal cruelty relating to ‘jiggers” and will appear in court in February where he faces criminal charges.

Since Smith arrived in Victoria some months ago, renting the stables Weir built on-course at Warrnambool – and absorbing many of the Weir staff – many have wondered if there was an on-going relationship between Smith, Weir and McLean.

Smith is bothered by the worst of the whispers but wife Rebecca had been far more concerned, fearing the relentless sniping would prompt her husband to return to Perth.

Smith says it’s well known he and Weir had a strong association prior to Weir’s disqualification but says the “best mates” tag was inaccurate.

As for McLean, he says he feels sympathy not for what McLean has done but his state of mind. He was happy to meet McLean, regardless of who saw them or what they thought.

“He’s struggling and I’m not the sort of person to abandon someone no matter what they’ve done or been accused of,” he said.

“His mum contacted me and I was happy to sit down and have a talk with Jarrod.”

Smith knows despair.

He has struggled with depression and is thankful Rebecca works in mental health.

Smith had a difficult childhood. His father Roland, a painter, was a drunk. An older sibling, Geoffrey died from a heroin overdose.

In all, Roland and Rita Smith had seven kids. Three were born in England and three here after they joined many Europeans on Australia-bound ships in the late 1950s.

Lindsey was born somewhere in the Pacific. In Williamstown, he took his first steps.

Geoffrey was 33 when he overdosed, Lindsey 26.

“I found him in the bath,” he said. “It was an awful thing. It encourages me to look after people when they need it, like Jarrod. I’ve had my taste of it.”

Smith has three school-age kids – Mia, Darby and Harrison – who will relocate from Perth to Warrnambool in March when Smith turns his focus more to his Warrnambool stable and less with Perth.

Geoffrey is buried in Perth.

“I take the kids there as often as I can, to his grave,” Smith said.

“I think it’s important. Reminds them of how hard life can be, how easy it is to muck it up.”

By Matt Stewart RSN927 Racing Editor

reductio ad absurdum
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 6:52pm
Thanks djebel, some insights there.

Not that anyone other than he and his family could give a sh1t about Jarrod McLean's future.  

My suggestion is that he visit a psychotherapist on a long-term basis and get a laboring job somewhere.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Discohips23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 6:52pm
Seriously. That is the worst story I have had the pleasure of reading this year. The author wouldn’t get a gig in my daughters school paper. 
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 6:58pm
Agree, but then again it is Matt Stewart after all.Dead
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 7:22pm
Wonderful article which reminds me of the RSN i/view with Pat Webster who's written a book & dedicated himself (& wife) to helping racing kids with an addiction, having picked up his 3 weeks old grandson out of the gutter a few years ago. He said they can only be helped once they've hit rock bottom & yes, his own son recovered fully.
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 10:04pm
Seriously! Who cares. Smith is a star horse trainer
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by Straight arrow Straight arrow wrote:

Seriously! Who cares. Smith is a star horse trainer

Smerdon was a star horse trainer.
reductio ad absurdum
Mr Grieves View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Grieves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 12:40am
Rotten article.  Matt Stewart fair dinkum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 9:25am
Smith has not been caught doing any wrong! Why are you comparing?
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 10:34am
Lindsey is a decent bloke.
Cops criticism but hasn’t actually done anything wrong.
It’s not illegal to be a mate to someone who needs it.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Discohips23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 6:27pm
They all say Weiry is a decent bloke too
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 6:41pm
Wouldn’t agree with that
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Discohips23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 6:59pm
Ok, maybe not all Wink
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 9:53am
Matt Stewart was a huge wrap for Darren weir! Can remember a peace he done Wier from his home at bawuw.....k somewhere north in Victoria? They were like close mates at the time!
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 10:37am
One question still irks me, Weir's 'record' was so appalling how is that so many stood with him? Is this industry so sick that a recidivist such as him was held on a pedestal? Reading his rap sheet made me sick, that smirk, or was it a nervous smile? like Smerdons.......bugger me, I'll never understand all this.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 11:06am
Even O. J. had his followers mate, it's part of the mystery's of life.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 12:30pm
Nervous Bonjour, always has been like that.
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

Nervous Bonjour, always has been like that.
Ahh, we now know why Gay!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>