Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

The Lindsey Smith Warrnambool experiment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 10:54am
Don't bring common sense into it MC. 
crooked_gambler View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 11:02am
Underlying problem would cause the soreness.
They aren’t machines
This space has been intentionally left blank
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 11:07am
Originally posted by crooked_gambler crooked_gambler wrote:

Underlying problem would cause the soreness.
They aren’t machines

Hmnn also get struck in running.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 3:38pm

Trainer Lindsey Smith says 'I'm no cheat'

NEWCOMER to Warrnambool, Western Australian trainer Lindsey Smith, has fired a broadside at two high-profile trainers who have effectively challenged his reputation.

Smith has been horrified by commentary in the racing media and has had enough of what he calls "white noise" in the background following two group one wins in the last few weeks since he opened his Warrnambool satellite stable.

"I'm no cheat," the 60-year-old trainer told The Standard on Monday from his Warrnambool-based stables. 

"It's disturbing to have background noise on the television and the radio. 

"I was taken aback with comments that have been made in the media.

"I aim to have a chat with a few people at Caulfield on Saturday."

Smith, who took over Darren Weir's stables in Warrnambool after the Melbourne Cup-winning trainer was disqualified for four years in February, said he was concentrating running his own training business.

"I'm here to run my business," he said. 

"I'm not sticking my nose into other trainers' businesses. It's no secret that I've been mates with Darren Weir and I've leased out stables he used to have but I'm training the horses - not Darren Weir. 

"I just want everyone to know I'm the trainer and I'm not a cheat."

Veteran galloper Black Heart Bart will attempt to win his second group one race within weeks for Smith when he runs in the $1 million Ladbroke Stakes at Caulfield on Saturday. 

The nine-year-old won the group one Underwood Stakes at his last run.

"Black Heart Bart is good," he said. "Since his Underwood win he's done beach work with a bit of swimming. 

"He'll have a gallop on the course proper over 1000 metres at Warrnambool on Tuesday morning. His next bad run will be his last."

Black Heart Bart has won six group one races - five at Caulfield.

reductio ad absurdum
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 4:11pm
Wayne Hawkes is a f**king idiot.
Should keep his fat mouth closed.
I also thought James Cummings was a better person than that...
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by SkyDancer SkyDancer wrote:

Wayne Hawkes is a f**king idiot.
Should keep his fat mouth closed.
I also thought James Cummings was a better person than that...

What was wrong with what they said ?

Agree with you regarding Hawke but I like the fact he speaks his mind on After The Last even if I disagree with mush of it.
reductio ad absurdum
Straight arrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 4:32pm
Agree L Smith has been one of Australia’s best trainers for years!! And believe the old fonker is a plonker
billyjack View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 4:33pm
The family training team have had a say too, cant wait till the boss goes overseas then people will see how bad whats left really are
gordy
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 4:39pm
plonker
/ˈplɒŋkə/
noun
British
noun: plonker; plural noun: plonkers
informal
a foolish or inept person.

Rather an odd description of him Confused
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 4:44pm
LOL
reductio ad absurdum
Long Row View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Long Row Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 5:07pm
What comments is he referring to?
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by Long Row Long Row wrote:

What comments is he referring to?

Not sure what Cummings has said and can not recall the exact comment Hawkes made but the insinuation was palpable. 

I suspect Hawkes is going to be doing some serious denying on tonights After The Last.

reductio ad absurdum
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 5:18pm
Agree with that "palpable" description djebel.

Does little as a trainer unless they've only recently arrived down from dad, and isn't universally referred to as FONC for no reason.
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 5:47pm
Cummings basically said he agreed with Hawkes idiotic comment
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 5:56pm

Cummings basically said he agreed with Hawkes idiotic comment

Just watching the comment again, Why does Smith have a guilty complex ?

I mean seriously, OK i said the insinuation was palpable but watching it again, you'd really need a guilty complex to make a big deal about it.

The Lindsay Smith set up and the way it came about stinks.

reductio ad absurdum
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 6:13pm
You don't understand the damage of allegation without evidence, or palpable (your word) harassment of a trainer based at this point solely on his friendship with a banned person?
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

You don't understand the damage of allegation without evidence, or palpable (your word) harassment of a trainer based at this point solely on his friendship with a banned person?

I think the whole way his "moving" to Warrnambool is a stain on his name.

I have very little sympathy for him.

reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 7:59pm
I think the guys record shows he has been a fantastic horse man for many years. Apart from that? I do t even know what they have said. Just reading between the lines? Some one in the training circle has not been suggesting nice things? Nothing changes does it
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 8:19pm
Hawkes Pretty much accused him of being Weirs puppet
theshu25 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote theshu25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 5:59am

Hawkes Pretty much accused him of being Weirs puppet
  Bit rich  coming from Wayne Hawkes. He would not last 5 minutes if he was left  to be a horse trainer in his own right.
theshu
SHOVHOG View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHOVHOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 7:19am
Does anyone like Wayne/Fonc ?
" In gambling the many must lose in order for the few to win"
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 9:27am
I find him amusing.

Everyone defended Weir against cheating claims - for years - despite his well-known awful record. When his ex staff member came forward and told the authorities about jiggers and poly-pipes, people just said she was dirty on him and authorities did zilch.

So now we have Weir’s horses, spelling and pretraining at his property, going back to his old stables, being looked after by his ex forewoman and we’re expected to believe that LS is doing it all on his own with no input from jigger King? Pull the other one. And let’s not just single out LS, which other ex Weir horses are being prepared at Maldon just to be a sent to Weir’s past staff now training in their own right?
to the victor
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 9:37am
And don’t get me wrong, LS is a cool dude and a great success in his own right, but how do you take over the whole cheating pit and not expect people to ask questions and make snide remarks? Come here in your own right, with your horses and your staff and no one would say boo. And, in any case, how is pretraining at Maldon not shut down?
to the victor
troppo75 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troppo75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 1:46pm
The insinuation by Hawkes is poor. His father wouldnt say as much.

The fact he is backed up by a priveleged J Cummings backs up this point.. its two guys with glossy resume's who have envy.

One is backed by Sheiks and racing elite.. the other is backed by a Sheik.. 

This is Vs a guy from WA who's placed horses in a 'disgraced' stable and had good results. If you are going to imply guilt you better have evidence or else its plain slander. 
Now having passed 1000 posts I feel you are all so much the wiser for my having said... stuff!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 2:03pm
Troppo well said! You wonder if either could of put a stable together without there fathers name / and or grandfather??
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 3:25pm

'A trainer of the week': One on one with Lindsey Smith

By James Lamb 3 hours ago
Lindsey Smith with jockey Brad RawillerLindsey Smith with jockey Brad RawillerImage: Lindsey Smith
On the back of Black Heart Bart's recent upset Underwood win, Lindsey Smith is in the hot seat for 'A trainer of the week'.
Firstly, congrats on Black Heart Bart's shock Underwood victory. It must have felt good to silence some of the doubters? 

It was good for the horse to win a big race again. Everyone has an opinion but we knew what the facts were at home.
Were you confident you could get him back to that top level? 

No. I was hoping we could get him back to G3 or G2 level, so to win a G1 was a surprise. We always knew he had the ability and the jockey's confidence was important.
Not sure if you punt, but did you have something on at $101+? 

No I don’t bet. But on his looks in the yard he was over the odds.

How did you first get into the racing game? 

I followed my brother Tommy into the racing game. The family did not have a connection to racing.

What do you like most about your job? 

The animal first. Riding a horse on the beach in the mornings is not a job to me.
What do you like least about your job? 

Haven’t worked that one out yet.

What would you be if you weren't a trainer? 

A steward.

Most memorable win/moment? 

Old Cobber winning the 1999 Winter Cup at Belmont Park. He was first-up over 2400m after two trials. It proved to me that my unorthodox heavy sand training technique worked. He was the horse that started to put the Smith story into place.

Best horse you’ve trained? 

Old Comrade.
What’s been your sickest beat as a trainer? 

Took five horses to Narrogin. Four of them were odds-on and all got beaten. And the horse I declared couldn’t win, won!

What track have you enjoyed the most success at? 

Belmont Park.

Least favourite track? 

Narrogin.
Favourite pub in WA or Vic to stop in after the races? 

Empire Bar Bottle shop in Perth (old Rivervale) and the Scarsdale Hotel in Victoria.

How do you celebrate a successful day at the track? 

Just said it. Drive through bottle shop and take-aways with the staff on the way home. No drinking and driving.

What do you do after a stinker? 

As above.

Who's the most unique individual in the training ranks? 

You are talking to him.
Who is the most underrated jockey in Australia? 

Paul Harvey.
What about the most talented? 

Ben Melham.

Favourite horse? 

Old Cobber.

Race you most want to win? 

Melbourne Cup.

A trainer of the week: Lindsey Smith

The coveted Melbourne Cup trophy. 

What’s the worst bit of training advice you’ve received? 

I train them too hard.

Do you have a favourite racing saying? 

Pick ‘em and pluck ‘em.

Gear change you’ve had the most success with? 

When I ride them work.

Beer of choice? 

Corona.

25. Which horse in your stable are you most excited about? 

Adelaide Ace.

reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 3:55pm
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 4:32pm
It’s all about the privilege children of horse racing. Does anyone know Lindsey smiths background? Because I do not! But Wayne (the fonce every ones freind) wants to throw stones at real success? Really could the fonc train a horse if he didn’t have daddy holding his hand? I think micheal has a really good idea what’s going on! John should be very proud of him.
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 4:52pm
The gutless FONC. Is backtracking already
Gutless wonderboy should be waterboy
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by mc41 mc41 wrote:

The gutless FONC. Is backtracking already
Gutless wonderboy should be waterboy

Is he backing down ?

Smith has made a mountain out of a mole hill.

Now let me tell you I am no fan of the Hawkes let alone Wayne Hawkes but what he said was so insignificant it is not funny.

This has only blown up because of Smiths guilty complex.

I look forward to them bumping into each other on Saturday. Smith might open his trap but that will be all. Hopefully Racing.com and or channel 7 follow them about.

reductio ad absurdum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>