Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Wimbledon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 8:11am
Tennis going by the cliche count.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 9:37am
Sport doesn't come better than that marathon.      Call it a DRAW.

No crap , behaviour problems ,    . Just one hell of a battle .

Will go down in Sporting History as one to remember.
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 9:56am
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

Sport doesn't come better than that marathon.      Call it a DRAW.

No crap , behaviour problems ,    . Just one hell of a battle .

Will go down in Sporting History as one to remember.

Sometimes a DRAW is the best result!

Surely, gentlemen! Those that understand sportsmanship and those that play cricket that a DRAW is a valid result.

SUPER Over ?????  Gimme a freakin' break.

Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 10:07am
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Federer is going to have the same problem as Williams - X 10Shocked - the ball will keep coming back. There is nobody in the the history of tennis as good at getting the ball back as Djokovic.

you love an exaggeration,  x10 Confused
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 10:14am
Seems slightly unfair, Roger wins sets by breaking serve, Djoker by winning tie breaks.  Seems Federer is not great in tie breaks

Longest final ever, if the system was as it used to be, no tie breaks ,they would be playing for 2 days
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 10:35am
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

Seems slightly unfair, Roger wins sets by breaking serve, Djoker by winning tie breaks.  Seems Federer is not great in tie breaks

Longest final ever, if the system was as it used to be, no tie breaks ,they would be playing for 2 days

Not great at winning sets by breaking serve and holding your own either, or there wouldn't have been 3 tiebreaker sets.
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 11:40am
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Geez Doc, of all the things you could take-away from that epic 5 hour thriller, potting women's sport wasn't even on my list.  

Did you watch any of the women's pathetic grunt fest?

#meneitherDead
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Geez Doc, of all the things you could take-away from that epic 5 hour thriller, potting women's sport wasn't even on my list.  

Did you watch any of the women's pathetic grunt fest?

#meneitherDead

I watched every grunt ...   The crown jewels riding on Halep winning.
I must say , I also noted Halep has more curves than the road to Bulli & she broke the drag by being good on the eyes.
I do have a soft spot for her.

Serena struggled with having to pull the cart behind her , so good effort.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 3:10pm
First I make it clear = I'm only a recent convert to the gamble on Tennis & know little about the in depths of the players.

However I have a Son , who like E&E , knows the game , Stats and gets a Dollar out of Tennis.

Some of the facts are very interesting .   Like this year , You would be winning more backing Venus Williams than Serena. ( Bet for win if fav and half stake if not )

Djocovic has played 43 games , fav 42 times and your losing on him.

Barty performed well , consistent & better priced. One of the top returns for punters.

As was Halep , Riske , Pliskova Karolina ( her twin a loser )

No surprise that the oz men went bad . Worst being Tomic & Millman .

Promising players like the young Greek Tsitipas , Osaki, Vekic , were in the losing stable .

Interesting stuff aye.

I'll bet when our Gun tipster said the Mens final would go 5 sets, he didn't imagine such

a Sporting History 5.
Redemption View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 4:35pm

Exactly Whale.
Tennis scoring is frustrating. It doesnt reward the better player on the day.
Federer won more games and more points. Yet lost the match.
The way tennis is cored is fundamentally flawed.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 4:35pm

Exactly Whale.
The way tennis is scored is fundamentally flawed.

ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

This is not a hard court or a clay court. The surface significantly improved Federers chances due to the extra speed thus nullifying some of Djokers ability to get the ball back. Djoker was average for a large part of the semi. RBA shouldn’t be troubling him at all, yet he took a set off him. In that match his forehand looked clearly his worse side. Look for Federer to target that and obviously he will be able to attack more than the previous opponent could. These matches have generally been competitive, even at Djokers best and particularly on grass. That’s why Fed can win and it’s unlikely to be a cakewalk in any event.

Wow that was an epic match. Fantastic to watch although paying for the 4:15am finish when I was at work today. Fed clearly the better player throughout the match but that’s the thing about tennis, the important moments count and when they came he slipped up and Djoker pounced. That could have easily been a straight sets job or the very least done in 4 sets but a 1st tiebreak choke and a dreadful tiebreak in the 3rd gave Djoker a chance and he took it. Still amazed Fed didn’t finish it off at 40-15 at 8-7 in the 5th though. So many twists and turns!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 5:15pm

They were both out on their feet at the end. It looked like another break was coming (probably Fed breaking him) but 12-12 came too quick. Surprised if it had have gone on much longer in the absence of a tiebreak.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by Redemption Redemption wrote:

Exactly Whale.
The way tennis is scored is fundamentally flawed.

Roger GOAT can't beat Djokovic and squibs it in tiebreakers. Hasn't beaten Djokovic in best of 5 since 2012.LOL Let's change the rules.LOL

Simon Cameron

maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 4:15pm
Serena Williams destroys another top tennis Tournament.

She quit after 4 games in the Final of the Canadian Show Piece.

Towing that "V-Dub" doesn't help her but I'll bet she lines up for the US Open in a week or Two.

Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 4:26pm
Give her a break Macca.  She was in tears, and not crocodile ones either mate.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 5:12pm

Towing that "V-Dub" doesn't help her but I'll bet she lines up for the US Open in a week or Two.

When else has she retired injured during a match? I bet she is no match for our Aussie champ at that caper.

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 5:46pm

When else has she retired injured during a match? I bet she is no match for our Aussie champ at that caper.

No one is. Good ol’ Bernie retired after 3 games in Cincinatti qualifying on Sunday morning.
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 10:26pm
Enough of the personal stuff
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by horlicks horlicks wrote:

Enough of the personal stuff

I'm talking through my pocket of course as I bet against Williams and NO BET if they welsh before the 1st set is complete .

She quit at the same tournament some years ago ....    Won't let the "canucks" beat her.

Edited by horlicks - 13 Aug 2019 at 12:45pm
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 3:37pm
Barty thrashed by Svetlana Kuznetsova 6-2 6-4 at Cincinnati. Crikey, Kuznetsova must be nearly 40. She's been around forever. Oh, no - 34, but she won the first of her two majors 15 years ago.

Simon Cameron

maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 11:46pm
Tlaz . The Ladies are now a very even lot .    Bounce of the Ball.

Serena can't tow the "V Dub" any longer . Dyspnoea is so evident.
Keys is going well , but most matches in the top 30 , toss a penny.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 10:24am

Jeez it's easy to win women's grand slams.Wink Barty has peaked at the right time. The 3 opponents with the most class and who would normally be her biggest obstacles are:

Serena- old and tired
Naomi- in a tizzzy
Petra- injury concerns

There's really no mountains to climb to get to the top of women's tennis atm with Serena in decline. On the men's side, by contrast, you've got to scale, Mt Federer, Djokovic and Nadal before you reach the summit.

Simon Cameron

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 10:55am
 You are right, to a degree, Tlaz...there are less mountains.   

but Serena could, even in decline, intimidate anyone off their game. She and Barty have only met three times and the only match Barty won, Serena withdrew.

(Osaka doesn't handle grass all that well...until she does, there's always doubt on her ranking).  

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 11:02am
Grass , hardcourt & clay surfaces are like comparing chalk & cheese. Almost different games - like comparing basketball & netball or baseball to softball LOL
Refer ALP Election Promises
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 11:30am
 clay courts are the pits...

the slide is alarming. Then, if you stick, that's worse.

Knee-destroying.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 9:25am
Can you see any of the younger players who look likely to beat Djokovic in the next couple of years? I can't.

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 12:39pm
HUGE congratulations to NoVax Djokovic.

Well and truly legendary status now.

Clap
ALL my posts are written as Sci-Fi, no different to an Orson Welles and should not be taken literally. Sci-fi is a genre of Fiction.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 1:13pm
 probably the most unpopular champion since McEnroe.

oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 1:22pm
I liked McEnroe . If you had said Pat Cash i would have agreed with you.
Refer ALP Election Promises
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>