Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

The Mexicans Are Rattled.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Mexicans Are Rattled.
    Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 1:44pm

VRC chair lashes NSW over prizemoney

By Nick Hluchaniuk about an hour ago
VRC chair Amanda ElliottImage: Getty
Victoria Racing Club chair Amanda Elliott has taken aim at Racing NSW over their recent cash splash for spring race, which includes the introduction of the $13 million The Everest and $7.5 million The Golden Eagle. 

Announcing a further boost in prizemoney to the Melbourne Cup which will this year be worth $8 million, Mrs Elliott said there was a responsibility to have a national approach in regards to racing in Australia

"We actually do have a national responsibility to the sport of racing in Australia," Mrs Elliott told RSN

"We all know that we have geographic boundaries that sometimes gets a bit pushed and pulled and we're all doing our best for our own jurisdictions, but at the end of the day, the Australian racing industry is the one we care about."
"I think it's just a silly little man making silly decisions"
VRC CHAIR AMANDA ELLIOTT
The VRC chair said a 'single-minded determination to knock off Victoria' was the catalyst of the big-money races in NSW. 

"So this kind of single-minded determination to knock off Victoria just infuriates me to be honest."

"I think it's just a silly little man making silly decisions. I mean we all understand how important prizemoney is, don't get me wrong. But at the end of the day, racing is about so much more than prizemoney."

Mrs Elliott said the prizemoney being offered for some races was counterproductive for the sport. 

"Prizemoney is vital to owners and trainers and connections. But having this sort of prizemoney spiral and everybody thinking that they somehow need to join this race to the bottom, or race to the top, whichever way you care to look at this prizemoney argument, it's just counterproductive."

"Money isn't the only thing. This glorious sport, in some way, is demeaned by this rather unnatural amount of prizemoney that's being thrown at one or two races. 

"I know people will say 'that's hypocrisy because you've just put up the Melbourne Cup'. The Melbourne Cup is the most important race in Australia. It's the most important staying race in the world and it is now worth $8 million. That's plenty."

Racing NSW last week made further announcements surrounding their spring carnival including the introduction of two provincial races worth $1 million as well as a $500,000 lead-up race to The Golden Eagle. 

READ: More $1m races announced in NSW

reductio ad absurdum
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 2:28pm
So when everyone in Victoria band together to negotiate anything, it’s ok for VRC to forget about the common good, and do what’s best for themselves.

But an interstate competitor is forever barred from doing anything that doesn’t suit the VRC?

Amanda would be better served getting advice from the “silly little man” rather than antagonising him.

Straight arrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 2:28pm
Really they are supposed to be smart people? Do they not know if you have a 2 mile horse anywhere in the world! And there is a 2mile race with 5/6 million? YOU WILL be aiming at it!! An extra million or two is not going to make a scrap of difference. Amanda ? Money badly spent!!
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 2:45pm
What a joke - a "National approach" to racing. Since when have the Vic's EVER done anything else other than to look after themselves. They would be all over this approach as long as their interests were the most important. Racing vision, 30 min gaps between races, running over the top of other races et al - why ? - because no one else's racing matters.
Refer ALP Election Promises
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 2:53pm
Not related to Sum Ting Wong by any chance ?All those silly little man with silly little ideas !
Refer ALP Election Promises
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 2:56pm
This all started when Melbourne started expanding their autumn carnival to try compete with the Sydney autumn. At least Sydney are trying different things, rather than say, moving the Metrop to CC day and making it a $14 million race.
Straight arrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 5:14pm
Anyway . Amanda is a mouth peace for a dinasour. RVL is the biggest problem Victoria has. You just have to wonder who is driving the buss
Discohips23 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Discohips23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 5:37pm
Last year NSW coughed up 13mil for THE EVEREST, only to see Racing Victoria get a better field in the VRC SPRINT CLASSIC for 1Mil. I know who runs a more profitable ship!
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 5:45pm
NSW tipped in than half that amount into The Everest. 

The slot holders put upmost of the purse. They also chose the field.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 6:04pm
Everest day is the only day all year members can’t use vouchers for guests.
I don’t think they see it as a failure.
At all
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 8:07pm
This lady is seriously suffering amnesia!

Her husband or former husband, was responsible for piling the money into the Cup in 1985 for the million dollar cup, which resulted in stayers from other states missing the metrop and other major spring events. And until the internationals started coming the only positive it did was boost the slipper money, if you call that a positive.

I agree with what John O'shea said last week, the Melbourne spring has it all to themselves, no football, no cricket and no other major sports, to split the support, so why should NSW not try and boost their carnival, without encroaching on the series of staying races leading into the cup!

Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 8:29pm
Why does it seem that NSW is awash with money,whilst Victoria seems to be treading water?
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by rusty nails rusty nails wrote:

Why does it seem that NSW is awash with money,whilst Victoria seems to be treading water?

I think Brian Kruger explains it as well as can be expected in this interview last week.

reductio ad absurdum
Atreus View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atreus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 9:26pm
The Vics are right on this.  Racing NSW have it all wrong

Racing NSW's approach turns racing into boxing where you have 4 champs in each division and nobody cares anymore.  Boxing was a big sport decades ago now it has almost vanished from the public consciousness.  Stradbroke day worked well on Saturday as it was the standout meeting with all the best horses and jockeys in the one place.  In contrast the last few years when Adelaide and Brisbane run big meetings on the same day in May you get 2 split meetings which both take away from each other as you have diluted G1 races at each meeting

NSW and Victoria should not be holding big meetings on the same day to maximise the quality of your G1 races

Racing NSW constantly raising the prizemoney levels will lead to disaster eventually.  These prizemoney increases don't go to owners as yearling prices rise as the prizemoney goes up.  So the money goes to the breeders instead and makes the rich even richer.  By constantly making it more expensive to own a racehorse you are constantly shrinking your potential ownership base as you need to be ever more richer to own a racehorse.  Racing NSW are making it a game for the elites only

Racing will have to sell city racecourses to pay for these insane levels of prizemoney and that by itself will kill the game.  Harness racing in NSW has gone backwards since they sold Harold Park and moved to Menangle.  Harness racing is now zombie racing where they run for huge prizemoney with peanuts in the betting pools and nobody watching.  Racing NSW risks sending the gallops down the same path with their current antics

Racing Victoria solved their Weir problem at least temporarily.  The racing has improved since Weir left.  Racing NSW are yet to solve their Waller problem.  On current trends in 2 years time half the races in Sydney will be made up of 50% or more Waller trained horses.  Under Racing NSW Waller gets richer and richer while other trainers leave the game
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by Atreus Atreus wrote:

Stradbroke day worked well on Saturday as it was the standout meeting with all the best horses 

I doubt there was a single group 1 class horse in Brisbane on the weekend.
reductio ad absurdum
SHOVHOG View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHOVHOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 9:57pm
Nsw racing is flying full stop!

Great crowds
Huge fields
Diversity of trainers in metropolitan races!

The list goes on...
" In gambling the many must lose in order for the few to win"
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 9:59pm

Racing will have to sell city racecourses to pay for these insane levels of prizemoney and that by itself will kill the game.  Harness racing in NSW has gone backwards since they sold Harold Park and moved to Menangle.  Harness racing is now zombie racing where they run for huge prizemoney with peanuts in the betting pools and nobody watching.  Racing NSW risks sending the gallops down the same path with their current antics

100% CORRECT
Discohips23 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Discohips23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by SHOVHOG SHOVHOG wrote:

Nsw racing is flying full stop!

Great crowds
Huge fields
Diversity of trainers in metropolitan races!

The list goes on...

Bah ahaha ha, great crowds
adolphus twirk View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adolphus twirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 11:36pm
👀"Silly little man". So says an old bag. No difference. Million dollar hypocrisy
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 5:03am
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Stradbroke day worked well on Saturday as it was the standout meeting with all the best horses </span>

If none of those gallopers from the J.J.Atkins win a group 1 in the future I am the richest man in the world!
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 1:25pm

Originally posted by rusty nails rusty nails wrote:

I think Brian Kruger explains it as well as can be expected in this interview last week.

It will get worse in 2020 won't it when NSW racing finally gets the same deal from the TAB as Victoria has been getting for ages? Something like that. I'm not paying attention.

Amanda Elliott from melbourne eh. Is she related to the only mellbourne Elliott I know of, boofhead John Elliott?Confused Oh, ex-wife- it figures. You all know that of course but I only got interested in the subject 2 minutes ago.Tongue
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by VOYAGER VOYAGER wrote:

<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Stradbroke day worked well on Saturday as it was the standout meeting with all the best horses </span>

If none of those gallopers from the J.J.Atkins win a group 1 in the future I am the richest man in the world!

Actually you got me there. I agree 100% I am very impressed with the first two and have not watched a replay to see if anything else was impressive. 
reductio ad absurdum
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 3:15pm
Even though he was beaten at the mile I do like Strasbourg and shadow Hero as well. His was a big run
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 3:20pm
They could run the Melbourne Cup for prize money of $1 million and on the same day they could run a race at Randwick for $10 million and I know what race would attract the larger attendance and the most national and international attention....and it would not be the race at Alison Road RandwickSmile
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 3:26pm
In the first year....

But if all the first division apart from the cup,are racing at Randwick, it greatly diminishes the day.

Make no mistake, if it becomes a flame war, Sydney have nothing to lose, and can do immeasurable damage to Melbourne for only a limited benefit.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 3:29pm
Is racing at all concerned with attendance figures ?

I'd have thought it is 100% turnover related ?

That is why they chase second class Japanese horses, to get a bite of the Japanese tote. 
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 4:50pm
VRC : 100,000 attending @ $73 per head, should help cover a small drop in turnover if AJC runs $10 million race on same day
AJC: not public holiday 25,000 @ $ 25 per head

AJC ( PVL ) is kidding themselves , so is PVL.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 5:00pm
Admission fees are 5% of their turnover.
That’s not your saviour....

And AJC does not employ PVL.

I don’t think they have any desire to diminish Melbourne Cup day, but other carnival days might be at risk.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 5:30pm
TAB turnover is gross, the percentage take distributed to the club might be only 4.5% net of the turnover

Gate takings : $7.300,000 = Vic TAB held $170,000,000 in 2018 =4.5 % of $170,000,000 = $ 7,650,000

Not that much difference hey Rusty !!!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 5:46pm
Look at VRC annual report for their annual figures
Total revenue $177M
Public ticketing $7M (for the year)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>