Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

2019 Aust & NZ Jumps Racing Season

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2019 at 3:41pm
What a brilliant finish to the NZ Grand National Hurdle at Riccarton, such a close finish after 4200m!

And a trifecta for sons of Zabeel:

1st Alfee Dee - by Zed
2nd Bad Boy Brown - by St Reims
3rd Guy Fox - by Zed

SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 12:21am
Someone posted the other day about Big Blue - last seen at Warrnambool in May
He is scheduled to trial on the flat at Cranbourne on Monday. Heat 4
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 9:01am
Interestingly, Surging Wave who won in dominant fashion at Casterton on Sunday for trainer Steve Pateman at only his second run this season, is now listed as being trained by Lindsay Park
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 3:07pm
Great win by the Kiwi import Ablaze at Coleraine

Secondly, why was a horse like Scallop in a 3300m hurdle.
Only ever won over 1300/1400, never even races beyond 2000m
No wonder he was pulled up before the halfway mark.
Should never of been allowed in that race
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 8:37pm
reductio ad absurdum
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 9:29pm
RIP Johns Revenge, killed at Coleraine today
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 7:54pm

Shamal chasing success in Australia

Hunterville trainer Ken Duncan has stepped into new territory with his fine steeplechaser Shamal set to race at Ballarat on Sunday.

Duncan will start the nine-year-old Zabeel gelding in the Grand National Steeplechase (4500m) with regular rider Buddy Lammas in the saddle.

"It's the first time I've had one over here in Australia so it is all part of a learning curve," Duncan said.

"I've always wanted to bring one over, but never had one good enough. I mightn't have another this good so we're having a go."

Shamal spoilt his good record this winter when being pulled up in the Grand National Steeplechase (5600m) at Riccarton last start but took no harm from the race.

"It was just too wet for him," Duncan said. "He was too far off the leader (It's A Wonder) and was never going to catch him. When he got tired Buddy pulled him up.

"This race has always been in the back of my mind and I'm happy with him since he arrived last Wednesday.

"He schooled last Friday no trouble and he'll be going home for a spell after this one and we'll look at next year."

Duncan is grateful for the hospitality shown to him during his stay at Ballarat but has had a quick education on the Ballarat weather.

"At the moment it's as bad here as it was at Christchurch," he said. "He even worked in snow. Hopefully it will improve before Sunday."

Last year Shamal won the Grand National Steeplechase at Riccarton and was third in both the Great Northern Steeplechase (6300m) at Te Aroha and the McGregor Grant Steeplechase (4000m).

He started the current jumps season with a double at Te Rapa, including the Waikato Steeplechase (3900m), then after finishing fourth in the Hawke's Bay Steeplechase (4800m) he bounced back with another Te Rapa win, beating It's A Wonder, who went on to win the Grand National Steeplechase recently by 23 lengths.

Lammas has been Shamal's regular rider since winning on him at Awapuni last winter in the lead-up to the Grand National Steeplechase and he is looking forward to Sunday's assignment.

"As long as the track doesn't get too wet he should be a good chance," Lammas said.

Lammas will head to Melbourne on Saturday night after riding that day at Ellerslie, where his mounts include Old Countess in the Pakuranga Hunt Cup (4900m).

While Duncan is in Ballarat with Shamal, stablemate Alfie Dee (another of Lammas' regular mounts) is being prepared for his attempt to add the Great Northern Hurdle (4190m) at Ellerslie on September 7 to his narrow last-start win in the Grand National Hurdles (4200m) at Riccarton.

Alfie Dee had notched his first jumps win at Awapuni last month in his final lead-up to the Riccarton feature and had he shown form earlier in the winter he, too, could be in Melbourne.

"Possibly I should have brought him over," Duncan said.

"I did think about it, but when I was making these plans he wasn't going good enough. He's just come right lately.

"He can have a crack at the Great Northern (Hurdle) and he might get his chance next year."

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2019 at 1:52pm
Well the big day is here - Victorian Grand National Steeplechase day.

Tips for this all jumps race card:

R1 : Master Poet - some of his rivals have already had long campaign, whereas MP is fresh on the scene. Extra distance should suit & I think this time next year he’ll be a Grand National Hdl contender.

R2 : My Four Oh Nine - has the Master Poet formline, so can finally break his maiden here today.

R3 : Hurricaine - almost bought a share in this mare, but property renovations took priority (for Lady Hybrow anyway 😊) More hopeful than confident, as Heavy 10 is a concern.

R4 : Ablaze - was really good last Sunday at Coleraine & a tidy collect for me. Must have done well during the week to be backing up, so happy to roll with him again.

R5 : Referee - still a maiden but this is a very ordinary race & he hasn’t been far away from Sweet Lullaby in recent starts, so worth a go each way at odds .

R6 : Tallyho Twinkletoe - whilst Wells would be the fairytale story, TT was outstanding in the GN Hurdle, particularly given he only arrived in the country a few days before the race. Shocked he’s odds on today, but I think he’ll win. Might also have a place bet on Truly High, he’s a genuine plugger who might still be in the finish at the end of the 4500m.

Good luck to all !!
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2019 at 2:22pm
I’ll have a go

Race 1. Firefree racing very well at the moment, won on he flat on Thursday as a gallop in prep for this. Will relish the distance

Race 2. Just a Joke - first up but has the Waterhouse polish. Trialled alright.

Race 3. Patch Adams - was average first go, but trials were good. Giving another chance.

Race 4. Ablaze. Excellent last week, going again.

Race 5. Mannertone. Has a habit of bobbing up every year, think he could surprise today

Race 6. Wells - absolute champ. Hoping he wins. Can’t take the odds of Tallyho Twinkletoe but he will be hard to beat. Spying on You and Bit of A Lad for the multis

Good luck
crooked_gambler View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 1:18am
Will be interesting to see how unraced Japanese’s bred Kushiro goes having his first ever start in a jumps race tomorrow at Mount Gambier. Has had a stack of trials both flat and jumps. Making the long trek from Gai’s base at Flemington.
This space has been intentionally left blank
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 9:58pm
Maher/Eustace trained Big Blue is in the UK for the Cheltenham festival in a couple of months.
Makes his debut at Cheltenham on Saturday (2am Sunday Melbourne time)
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 7:44am
Eustace said this morning he won't run due to a poor scope.
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 8:06am
Thanks for that news Gay.

It was a pretty hot race to start home off in anyway. Hopefully they can find an alternative race to start his campaign. Would be brilliant if he could justify a start at the Cheltenham festival.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345