Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

2019 Aust & NZ Jumps Racing Season

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 4:35pm
Another slashing run from Slowpoke Rodriguez

Bring on the annual
Karl and Susan Kennedy are my heroes
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 12:41pm

Braidon Small in Coma

Racing.com Staff

9:38am

Jumps rider Braidon Small is in an induced coma and could undergo surgery as soon as Monday morning after suffering a delayed reaction to a head injury at Sunday’s Pakenham jumps meeting.

Victorian Jockey’s Association chief executive Matt Hyland explained on Monday morning that Small, 27, fell from Startierra in the 3200-metre hurdle but apart from a sore knee, he told medical staff that he felt OK.

He was cleared to leave the track – he was driven home by his partner - but several hours later was admitted to hospital at Warrnambool after waking at home with a headache.

Hyland said after scans showed some bleeding to the brain, he was put into an induced coma and flown to the Alfred Hospital in Melbourne.

Small, who is the son of the former star Vo Rogue’s rider Cyril, is one of the state’s more prominent jumps riders having won the Galleywood Hurdle aboard Two Hats at last year’s Warrnambool May carnival.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 12:49pm
Terrible news. Hopefully he will be okay.
Only recently married with a young child too.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 12:52pm
Goodwood Zodiac demolishes the competition at Racing.com Park (Image: Racing Photos)

Goodwood Zodiac demolishes the competition at Racing.com Park (Image: Racing Photos)

30-length win to jumps debutant

Brad Bishop@bradbishop12

14 April, 2019

Those eyeing the maiden hurdles during the Warrnambool May Racing Carnival would be breathing a sigh of relief after watching the first event at Racing.com Park (Pakenham) on Sunday.

They no longer have to worry about Goodwood Zodiac, who is now ineligible for maiden events after a dazzling performance in the $35,000 E-Cycle Solutions Maiden Hurdle (3200m).

The Gai Waterhouse and Adrian Bott-trained import led his rivals a merry dance in the 3200-metre event and despite being eased up over the concluding stages by jockey Shane Jackson, still had 30 lengths to spare over his rivals at the line.

It was the first jumps start for the six-year-old, whose previous outing was in the Bagot Handicap (2800m) at Flemington on New Year’s Day.

His preparations for Pakenham included three hurdle trials, the most recent a 2800m event at Cranbourne on April 5, which he won by four lengths.

The maiden hurdles at Warrnambool on April 30 might be off the table, but there are still a couple of options for the Waterhouse/Bott team should they wish to head to Australia’s premier country carnival.

On Day 2 – May 1 – is the $150,000 Galleywood Hurdle (3200m) with the $50,000 Champion Novice Hurdle (3200m) on Day 3 another option.

sparticus View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparticus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 1:02pm
Thats terrible, hoping for a speedy recovery. bloody lucky he went in and got it checked.
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 11:05pm
Slowpoke Rodriguez wins over 2580m on a Heavy 8 tonight at Cranbourne. Has accepted for the Brierly, not likely to run.
Will most likely go straight to the Annual next week.

He is a ripper!
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 10:01pm
The MAJESTIC art of Steeplechasing..Man and Horse in flight in 2018 Ireland.
Robbie Power and Woodland Opera.

Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 4:26pm
Bit of a Lad a very gutsy winner in the Brierly.
Only knee high to a grasshopper, but he can jump good.
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 4:41pm
Protest should be chucked out IMO
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 5:55pm
Macklemore has been withdrawn from the Grand Annual after a disappointing run in the Brierly.
Good Old Ted View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Good Old Ted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 10:09pm
Superb day of jumps racing. Two more to go, including the big race on Thursday. 
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 10:42pm
Pateman copped three suspensions.
Two for his winning ride on Bit of A Lad

No major concerns in the jumps races, although beaten fav Aloft pulled up with some nasty lacerations. Requires a vet clearance
brave_ponies View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brave_ponies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 10:27am
Thanks for the updates (i can't watch; work etc)
But just saw the video of Bit of A Lad's strapper Ange after the Brierly win - heartwarming. ❤️🏇
(It's on racing.com)
Hope you're all enjoying the Bool Fest. May horses and riders be safe.
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 10:43am
Bit of Lad being assessed today re backing up tomorrow in the Annual.
If he runs, John Allen will ride
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 2:16pm
Spying on You is as honest as the day is long.
Quick back up from the Annual and he wins at Mt Gambier
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 2:17pm
Spying on You is off to Sandown for the Australian Steeple
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by Xavier Xavier wrote:

Spying on You is off to Sandown for the Australian Steeple

He’s a terrific jumper no doubt. I love the Yamanin Vital progeny - tough old school South Island NZ breeding.

And Grant Young is one of the best trainers in the country. What he does with cast-offs is amazing.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

The MAJESTIC art of Steeplechasing..Man and Horse in flight in 2018 Ireland.
Robbie Power and Woodland Opera.

Looks like he has taken off too early ?

reductio ad absurdum
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 3:01pm
He may well have or it's the camera angle, regardless, he won the race Smile
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 3:36pm
It would be one of these two jumps, seems to skim through them....

https://twitter.com/djebel/status/1126691923073196044

reductio ad absurdum
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 10:21pm
Jack Frost (Image: Race Images South)

Jackfrost (Image: Race Images South)

Kiwi jumper bound for Australia

Plans are underway to have Jackfrost, last year’s top hurdler, in Melbourne for a possible tilt at a couple of the feature steeplechases.

Jackfrost ended last season with a hat-trick of wins and notably completed the Grand National Hurdles (4200m) – Great Northern Hurdles (4200m) double.

He won the Riccarton feature effortlessly by eight and a half lengths and the manner in which he charged home late to claim the Great Northern Hurdles at Te Aroha suggested he could also star in the role as a steeplechaser with Melbourne in consideration.

Wingatui trainers Brian and Shane Anderton have given the Gallant Guru eight-year-old two recent runs in preparation for a planned Melbourne campaign, but the extremely testing track at Invercargill on Sunday prevented Jackfrost from having more than just have a run under his belt when third-last in a Rating 72 handicap over 1600 metres, which was run in 1.53.72.

‘’He pulled up all right, but you couldn’t take much out of the run,’’ Shane Anderton said.

‘’The ground was just too heavy. He had 60kgs on his back and he was not ready for a track that heavy. But it was a bit more mileage for him before Australia.

‘’He’ll have another run over here at Riccarton on the flat over 2000m (on May 31) and if we’re happy with him he’ll then fly straight over.’’

Jackfrost is booked to be flown to Sydney on June 2 and be floated down to Melbourne, where he will have to pass a schooling test over steeplechase fences.

‘’He’ll have to qualify over there, as they all do, and his first run will probably be a maiden steeplechase,’’ Anderton said.

‘’The big thing is what weight the handicapper will give him over there. We’re trying to find that out this week.

‘’Really there is still a lot of water to go under the bridge, but we’re happy with him. He’s done plenty and seems to be coming up well.’’

Jackfrost’s preparation included a satisfactory school over the steeplechase fences at Wingatui last week in the hands of Jake Lowry.

The plan is to have Jackfrost based at Ballarat and there is a maiden steeplechase over 3200m at the local meeting on June 18 with the main mission, the A$350,000 Grand National Steeplechase (4500m), on the same track on August 25.

Between times there are such options to consider as the Mosstrooper Steeplechase (3500m) at Pakenham on July 21 and the Crisp Steeplechase (4200m) at Sandown on August 4 with the latter being the usual lead-up to the Grand National.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 9:51am
3 jumps races at Casterton today. Let’s have a go with some tips:

R1 No 9 Truly High - 5yo by High Chap making his jumping debut. He’s won a couple of flat races in town last year & both flat runs this time in have been sound.

R2 No 3 The Other Half - ex Kiwi (& a half bro to good jumper I’ll Ava Alf) who was strong at Mt Gambier & can win again. Danzadoozie was a handy type but been 3 years since he raced over jumps so prefer to watch him.

R4 No 6 Police Camp - first jumps run this campaign was solid & I think the longer trip & Casterton steeplechase course will suit him. I’ll be on him each way, much better value than the even money about Ascot Red.

Good luck to all!
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 12:00pm
Tough day down at Casterton

If Golden Flag jumps well, he should be too good for them. But he tends to make a few mistakes. Truly High is one to watch as his Coleridge, ex Godolphin first up since Jan and only having his 3rd race start. Trials have been okay.

In the 2nd, very open race. I thought Fulmineus was overs , he jumped well at Hamilton on Thurs. if he handles the back up, I thought he could be a blow out.

The Steeple looks a tough race. Old Mannertone loves Casterton. Surging Wave first up since September is interesting, he could be a blow out. Ascot Red is indeed for mine, still does a bit wrong. Wouldn’t shock to see Pentomatic win either, he was good at Warrnambool.

And in the Cup, I think Pickelhaube will be winning. He was impressive first run new stable last time.
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 12:01pm
Ascot Red is indeed OVERS for mine , missed a word
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 12:02pm
Got that wrong again, meant to say he is not value.
Too early for this
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 7:49pm

Speedy Jax wins inaugural Two Rivers Steeple

Matt Welsh

4:40pm

Casterton played host to the inaugural Two Rivers Steeplechase on Sunday’s Cup Day program and the Patrick Payne-trained Speedy Jax took out the $75,000 feature.

Casterton is the only track in Australia to feature a full live-hedge course and Sunday’s Two Rivers field were asked to negotiate twenty steeples on the gruelling 3800 metre course.

Racecaller Ric McIntosh provided the inspiration for the race. ‘Where the Wannon meets the Glenelg’ is how Ric describes the section of the live hedge steeplechase course where the horses move toward the south-east section of the track, and he certainly didn’t forget to use the phrase during Sunday’s feature.

New Zealand eight-year-old Speedy Jax was making his Australian steeple debut having had two runs on the flat since landing in Victoria.

Incredibly, as the field of nine headed over the 18th of 20 steeples there was just a couple of lengths separating first and last.

It was a stirring finish to the inaugural Two Rivers Steeplechase with just 0.4 lengths between the first three over the line.

Speedy Jax claimed a gritty and determined Pentomatic in the straight before defying a challenge from the race favourite Ascot Red, who flew late and only needed another couple of strides to claim victory. 

All nine competitors finished the testing 3800-metre course in a dashing display of jumping.

For jockey, Adam Roustoby, it was the biggest win of his career, in fact, it was his first win since he piloted Vixenite to victory at Merton back in 2014.

There were two other jumps races on the Casterton card, with Amy McDonald and Richard Cully combined to take out the opener with Tara Dreaming while Murphy’s Delight was victorious in the Open Hurdle (race 2) for legendary jumps trainer Eric Musgrove with Shane Jackson in the saddle

Edited by Gay3 - 19 May 2019 at 7:52pm
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 10:41pm
Racing.com reported that all jockeys and horses were fine after the race today.
Stewards report confirms that Big Bad Baz was killed.

Big Bad Baz Jumped the fourth obstacle awkwardly. Made a faulty jump at the ninth obstacle and fell. Rider T Ryan was uninjured and cleared to fulfil his remaining engagements. The incident will be referred to the Jumps Review Panel. Big Bad Baz sustained a serious racing injury and was humanely euthanised. This incident will be referred to the Equine Welfare and Veterinary Department
sparticus View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparticus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 12:00am
Originally posted by Xavier Xavier wrote:

Racing.com reported that all jockeys and horses were fine after the race today.
Stewards report confirms that Big Bad Baz was killed.

Big Bad Baz Jumped the fourth obstacle awkwardly. Made a faulty jump at the ninth obstacle and fell. Rider T Ryan was uninjured and cleared to fulfil his remaining engagements. The incident will be referred to the Jumps Review Panel. Big Bad Baz sustained a serious racing injury and was humanely euthanised. This incident will be referred to the Equine Welfare and Veterinary Department

Caller stated a few times everything was ok and there were no dramas. 😡
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 12:39pm
Looks like a super day of jumps racing action at Sandown today. Can’t wait to get out there.

Novice Hurdle - well I was on EUROMAN at the Bool & he did the right thing by me & jumped pretty cleanly for a debutant. I’ll stick with him again today.

Aust Hurdle - another horse I backed at the Bool was CHEQUERED FLAG & I’ll butter up again today. Last start on the flat he ran well in a G3 at Morphettville & 3 runs ago was only beaten 4 lengths by the all conquering Steel Prince!!

Aust Steeplechase - after a good 3rd behind Zed Em & Gold Medals in the Brierly Stple, DORMELLO MO ran a decent race on the flat at Mt Gambier. I think stepping to the 3900m at Sandown should be perfect for him.

Good luck to all!
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 1:54pm
I’ll be cheering for my old favourite Spying on You in the Steeple.
Always tries so hard, would be great to see him win. Sir Lopez on the back up from Race 8 at Cranbourne Friday night is interesting, Gold Medals the one to beat.

Chequered Flag and Killarney Kid look to be hard to beat over the Hurdles. Casiraghi was good at Oakbank, made a mistake the other day at Gawler which cost him, obviously come through the run okay. He might be able to sneak a place at odds.

The first hurdle looks very difficult, Who’s Says I’m Ready was good last time, Euroman hard to beat though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>