Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

2019 Aust & NZ Jumps Racing Season

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2019 Aust & NZ Jumps Racing Season
    Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 6:06am
Thanks for that news Gay.

It was a pretty hot race to start home off in anyway. Hopefully they can find an alternative race to start his campaign. Would be brilliant if he could justify a start at the Cheltenham festival.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 5:44am
Eustace said this morning he won't run due to a poor scope.
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 7:58pm
Maher/Eustace trained Big Blue is in the UK for the Cheltenham festival in a couple of months.
Makes his debut at Cheltenham on Saturday (2am Sunday Melbourne time)
crooked_gambler View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 11:18pm
Will be interesting to see how unraced Japanese’s bred Kushiro goes having his first ever start in a jumps race tomorrow at Mount Gambier. Has had a stack of trials both flat and jumps. Making the long trek from Gai’s base at Flemington.
This space has been intentionally left blank
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2019 at 12:22pm
I’ll have a go

Race 1. Firefree racing very well at the moment, won on he flat on Thursday as a gallop in prep for this. Will relish the distance

Race 2. Just a Joke - first up but has the Waterhouse polish. Trialled alright.

Race 3. Patch Adams - was average first go, but trials were good. Giving another chance.

Race 4. Ablaze. Excellent last week, going again.

Race 5. Mannertone. Has a habit of bobbing up every year, think he could surprise today

Race 6. Wells - absolute champ. Hoping he wins. Can’t take the odds of Tallyho Twinkletoe but he will be hard to beat. Spying on You and Bit of A Lad for the multis

Good luck
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2019 at 11:52am
Well the big day is here - Victorian Grand National Steeplechase day.

Tips for this all jumps race card:

R1 : Master Poet - some of his rivals have already had long campaign, whereas MP is fresh on the scene. Extra distance should suit & I think this time next year he’ll be a Grand National Hdl contender.

R2 : My Four Oh Nine - has the Master Poet formline, so can finally break his maiden here today.

R3 : Hurricaine - almost bought a share in this mare, but property renovations took priority (for Lady Hybrow anyway 😊) More hopeful than confident, as Heavy 10 is a concern.

R4 : Ablaze - was really good last Sunday at Coleraine & a tidy collect for me. Must have done well during the week to be backing up, so happy to roll with him again.

R5 : Referee - still a maiden but this is a very ordinary race & he hasn’t been far away from Sweet Lullaby in recent starts, so worth a go each way at odds .

R6 : Tallyho Twinkletoe - whilst Wells would be the fairytale story, TT was outstanding in the GN Hurdle, particularly given he only arrived in the country a few days before the race. Shocked he’s odds on today, but I think he’ll win. Might also have a place bet on Truly High, he’s a genuine plugger who might still be in the finish at the end of the 4500m.

Good luck to all !!
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 5:54pm

Shamal chasing success in Australia

Hunterville trainer Ken Duncan has stepped into new territory with his fine steeplechaser Shamal set to race at Ballarat on Sunday.

Duncan will start the nine-year-old Zabeel gelding in the Grand National Steeplechase (4500m) with regular rider Buddy Lammas in the saddle.

"It's the first time I've had one over here in Australia so it is all part of a learning curve," Duncan said.

"I've always wanted to bring one over, but never had one good enough. I mightn't have another this good so we're having a go."

Shamal spoilt his good record this winter when being pulled up in the Grand National Steeplechase (5600m) at Riccarton last start but took no harm from the race.

"It was just too wet for him," Duncan said. "He was too far off the leader (It's A Wonder) and was never going to catch him. When he got tired Buddy pulled him up.

"This race has always been in the back of my mind and I'm happy with him since he arrived last Wednesday.

"He schooled last Friday no trouble and he'll be going home for a spell after this one and we'll look at next year."

Duncan is grateful for the hospitality shown to him during his stay at Ballarat but has had a quick education on the Ballarat weather.

"At the moment it's as bad here as it was at Christchurch," he said. "He even worked in snow. Hopefully it will improve before Sunday."

Last year Shamal won the Grand National Steeplechase at Riccarton and was third in both the Great Northern Steeplechase (6300m) at Te Aroha and the McGregor Grant Steeplechase (4000m).

He started the current jumps season with a double at Te Rapa, including the Waikato Steeplechase (3900m), then after finishing fourth in the Hawke's Bay Steeplechase (4800m) he bounced back with another Te Rapa win, beating It's A Wonder, who went on to win the Grand National Steeplechase recently by 23 lengths.

Lammas has been Shamal's regular rider since winning on him at Awapuni last winter in the lead-up to the Grand National Steeplechase and he is looking forward to Sunday's assignment.

"As long as the track doesn't get too wet he should be a good chance," Lammas said.

Lammas will head to Melbourne on Saturday night after riding that day at Ellerslie, where his mounts include Old Countess in the Pakuranga Hunt Cup (4900m).

While Duncan is in Ballarat with Shamal, stablemate Alfie Dee (another of Lammas' regular mounts) is being prepared for his attempt to add the Great Northern Hurdle (4190m) at Ellerslie on September 7 to his narrow last-start win in the Grand National Hurdles (4200m) at Riccarton.

Alfie Dee had notched his first jumps win at Awapuni last month in his final lead-up to the Riccarton feature and had he shown form earlier in the winter he, too, could be in Melbourne.

"Possibly I should have brought him over," Duncan said.

"I did think about it, but when I was making these plans he wasn't going good enough. He's just come right lately.

"He can have a crack at the Great Northern (Hurdle) and he might get his chance next year."

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 7:29pm
RIP Johns Revenge, killed at Coleraine today
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 6:37pm
reductio ad absurdum
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 1:07pm
Great win by the Kiwi import Ablaze at Coleraine

Secondly, why was a horse like Scallop in a 3300m hurdle.
Only ever won over 1300/1400, never even races beyond 2000m
No wonder he was pulled up before the halfway mark.
Should never of been allowed in that race
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 7:01am
Interestingly, Surging Wave who won in dominant fashion at Casterton on Sunday for trainer Steve Pateman at only his second run this season, is now listed as being trained by Lindsay Park
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 10:21pm
Someone posted the other day about Big Blue - last seen at Warrnambool in May
He is scheduled to trial on the flat at Cranbourne on Monday. Heat 4
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2019 at 1:41pm
What a brilliant finish to the NZ Grand National Hurdle at Riccarton, such a close finish after 4200m!

And a trifecta for sons of Zabeel:

1st Alfee Dee - by Zed
2nd Bad Boy Brown - by St Reims
3rd Guy Fox - by Zed

SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2019 at 9:41am
Wells could carry 80kg and still win.
He only needs to stay upright and they won’t beat him IMO
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by SkyDancer SkyDancer wrote:

This is the Letter of the Week in the Editorial of this weeks Winning Post. Sums it up well

Let them race

Retirement. It’s something I look forward to. Only 9855 days left until I cast off the shackles of employment. However, not everyone shares my enthusiasm for the sweet respite of retired life.
Whilst I’m not personal friends with Wells, nor am I besties with Bashboy, I think I can safely say that Wells isn’t looking forward to being forced into retirement in 12 months and neither was Bashboy prior to being thanked for his service and having a gold watch slipped over his fetlock.
Racing needs horses that people can get behind — horses that capture the imagination of the public or even just the racing public.
Occasionally champions like Black Caviar and Winx come along, put bums on seats and are clearly good for racing for a plethora of reasons.
Then there are horses of far less note that people love for all sorts of reasons.
They might be horses that are owned or trained by battlers, they might be horses that have had more than 100 starts, they might be jumpers.
These last two categories are my favourites. I loved watching Jungle Ruler (115: 20-12-12) grow an extra leg on bottomless 10s and I still have a soft spot for Crafty Cruiser (148: 13-21-16), who late last year as an 11-year-old ran second in the Jericho Cup. Old Crafty has won more than $1 million and I’ll be sad when he’s forced into retirement in 12 months, too.
These are just two examples of horse that contribute to the compelling narrative of racing. I find them infinitely more interesting than the three-year-old blueblood who has eight or nine starts and then heads off to stud.
Jumps racing is my passion and I find it incredibly disappointing that we send sound horses into retirement at a seemingly arbitrary age regardless of their condition.
Seeing Wells win the Mosstrooper again was brilliant. He is a champion of the sport and I’ve enjoyed watching him race all over Victoria.
His connections seem pretty adamant that the horse is sound enough to continue his career and if this is still the case in 12 months’ time, why shouldn’t he?
Surely, Kathryn Durden and a vet are in a better position to determine Wells’s ability to continue racing than a number on a page.
Some argue that it would be bad for optics if we didn’t cap the age to which horses could race and they were to break down on the track. I’d suggest this wouldn’t look any worse than a young horse breaking down.
In my mind it’s simple: if a horse is fit to race, it should be allowed to race. If it can pass a vet test, let it race.
A couple of weeks ago at Roscommon in Ireland, See Double You won a hurdle at the age of 16 — only three years the junior of his jockey! What a great story.
Racing needs heroes, so I don’t understand why we are so keen to pension them off. I’m keen on retirement but I’m a school teacher, not a racehorse.

Mark Beecham
Camberwell (Vic)

Whilst I agree with this sentiment I would love to see these horses go to Europe to test their jumping and racing ability.

reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 8:14pm
Really looking forward to the clash of Wells v Tallyho Twinkletoe in the GN Stple at Ballarat in 3 weeks. TT is going to have a significant weight advantage. Given Wells had 73.5kg in last years race, and he’s since won another Mosstrooper & another Crisp, what weight will he get? Maybe 74.5kg like Bashboy in 2015?

Anyone know what’s happened to Big Blue? Like Wells he’s by the great Galileo. He won the Galleywood Hdl at his only jumps start for 2019 & hasn’t been seen since.
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 1:16pm
This is the Letter of the Week in the Editorial of this weeks Winning Post. Sums it up well

Let them race

Retirement. It’s something I look forward to. Only 9855 days left until I cast off the shackles of employment. However, not everyone shares my enthusiasm for the sweet respite of retired life.
Whilst I’m not personal friends with Wells, nor am I besties with Bashboy, I think I can safely say that Wells isn’t looking forward to being forced into retirement in 12 months and neither was Bashboy prior to being thanked for his service and having a gold watch slipped over his fetlock.
Racing needs horses that people can get behind — horses that capture the imagination of the public or even just the racing public.
Occasionally champions like Black Caviar and Winx come along, put bums on seats and are clearly good for racing for a plethora of reasons.
Then there are horses of far less note that people love for all sorts of reasons.
They might be horses that are owned or trained by battlers, they might be horses that have had more than 100 starts, they might be jumpers.
These last two categories are my favourites. I loved watching Jungle Ruler (115: 20-12-12) grow an extra leg on bottomless 10s and I still have a soft spot for Crafty Cruiser (148: 13-21-16), who late last year as an 11-year-old ran second in the Jericho Cup. Old Crafty has won more than $1 million and I’ll be sad when he’s forced into retirement in 12 months, too.
These are just two examples of horse that contribute to the compelling narrative of racing. I find them infinitely more interesting than the three-year-old blueblood who has eight or nine starts and then heads off to stud.
Jumps racing is my passion and I find it incredibly disappointing that we send sound horses into retirement at a seemingly arbitrary age regardless of their condition.
Seeing Wells win the Mosstrooper again was brilliant. He is a champion of the sport and I’ve enjoyed watching him race all over Victoria.
His connections seem pretty adamant that the horse is sound enough to continue his career and if this is still the case in 12 months’ time, why shouldn’t he?
Surely, Kathryn Durden and a vet are in a better position to determine Wells’s ability to continue racing than a number on a page.
Some argue that it would be bad for optics if we didn’t cap the age to which horses could race and they were to break down on the track. I’d suggest this wouldn’t look any worse than a young horse breaking down.
In my mind it’s simple: if a horse is fit to race, it should be allowed to race. If it can pass a vet test, let it race.
A couple of weeks ago at Roscommon in Ireland, See Double You won a hurdle at the age of 16 — only three years the junior of his jockey! What a great story.
Racing needs heroes, so I don’t understand why we are so keen to pension them off. I’m keen on retirement but I’m a school teacher, not a racehorse.

Mark Beecham
Camberwell (Vic)
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Slowpoke did not jump well enough. Wells very brave.

This sums up the race very well. For Wells to be racing as well as he is as an 11/12yo is a testament to the horse & the Durden’s. They’ve always resisted the Oakbank & W’Bool carnivals and focussed on the later season features.

The run of the 100/1 shot Fulmineus was a brave effort too, he ran the race of his life for 4th place only 6 Lens behind Wells.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 11:35am
Slowpoke did not jump well enough. Wells very brave.
reductio ad absurdum
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 11:20am
What a brave brave horse. Clearly headed and fought back
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 11:12am
Wells.... freak
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 11:02am
Can’t see Wells getting beat here
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 10:08am
Why on earth is the Crisp so early in the day?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 10:07am
Fantastic trio of jumps races today at Sandown, so let’s roll out some tips for the 2 feature events:

Crisp Steeplechase

SLOWPOKE RODRIGUEZ - has always promised to win a big race & I think his turn might come today. Freshened up since the Grand Annual & the mid-range 4200m distance will be perfect.

Victorian Grand National Hurdle

I have reservations about KILLARNEY KID & GOSTOPPER running out the longer 4200m trip, so I’ll go for the recently arrived Kiwi jumper TALLYHO TWINKLETOE. He was an absolute gun hurdler in NZ back in 2015 going from a maiden hurdle to go on to win the NZ GN Hurdle in his first campaign. Has had plenty of time on the sidelines since but seems to have come back in top order with an easy win at Te Aroha.

Amy McDonald’s horse FELIX BAY can run a place at big odds too.

SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 9:53pm
I noticed today that a promising jumper from a couple of seasons ago Duke of Boneo resumed from a tendon injury. Was previously with Weir but has been sold to Jane Duncan at Swan Hill. Resumed over the unsuitable trip of 1200m at Mildura but did a good job. When he gets out to a trip I can see him winning another race. I’m not sure if they plan on jumping again, probably too late for this season, but will be interesting to see where he ends up.
Isaac soloman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 11:02am
Strange the same posters here "love "jumps racing and yet disparage flat racing.

I find watching jumping a process of waiting for some poor animal to fall and REALLY hurt it self, an eyes through the finger ordeal.

Many instances failed flat racers, "racing" beyond what their breeding says they should.

Softy, you talk of love for money as opposed to love of horses? What is your take on jumping?

horseshoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horseshoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 4:38pm
After the GN (Andrew Campbell) Trainer will take Gobstopper home (For a break) Then set him for the Jericho Cup (There is a qualifier on 29th September) and if he wins that he'll head to Warrnambool in December
Those who know don't tell, Those who tell don't know
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by Lord Hybrow Lord Hybrow wrote:

Originally posted by horseshoe horseshoe wrote:

Gobstopper Race 4

Great tip horseshoe

Do you think he can run out the 4200m of the Victorian GN Hurdle in 2 weeks?

He tips anything and everything that comes out of NZ.  Wink
crooked_gambler View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 3:49pm
Last run at Gawler was a disaster.
Here is the post race report:

What a frustrating race to watch for owners of big Magna who made the trip to Gawler to contest another hurdle race last Saturday. With winkers added to get him to focus more on his racing. he jumped well from the barrier and settled into third spot just as the leaders dropped anchor, and he fired up immediately. Unfortuanately the pace was horrible for a lap and a half, and Magna pulled all the way. Jockey Richard Cully should have given him his head and allowed him to bowl along in front. Instead he chose to fight him for 2000m, and no horse can finish a race off after doing that much work in the run. He did however work to the line well under the circumstances to finish fourth. The horse has pulled up remarkably well and we will plan to take the winkers off and change jockeys before finding him another jumps race before the end of the season.
This space has been intentionally left blank
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by horseshoe horseshoe wrote:

Gobstopper Race 4

Great tip horseshoe

Do you think he can run out the 4200m of the Victorian GN Hurdle in 2 weeks?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>