Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Your favorite races in Australia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuthersLuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 4:54am
Cox Plate - can’t go past it as the WFA championship

Doncaster - consistently the best mile race in the country and my favourite time of year

Golden Slipper - a guilty pleasure, but I just love the build up, watching the 2yo’s emerge

Apollo Stakes - biased because it was the first Stakes race Dad took me to (Red Anchor) but it remains a race that attracts a lot of top class runners returning for the Autumn, as do several races on the program on that race day. A very good opportunity to see the best horses without the crowds.
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 5:58am
Cessnock Jungle Juice Cup
Toowoomba Weetwood
Kalgoorlie Cup
Birdsville Cup
Darwin Cup

Nothing like country racing
EAD
ChrisB View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 2:01pm
Launnie Cup is a great day out, no doubt similar to those
Majestic View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 6:54pm
Any race a horse I own wins 😂👍🍾🥂✌️👌
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2019 at 6:04am
Originally posted by furious furious wrote:

The golden slipper. As a child it was my birthday treat. A great day and race.

I’m intrigued as why some have nominated the GS as one of their favourite races.

Rosehill today has got a fantastic race card. But personally, in terms of interest & excitement I don’t even have it rated in the top 5 races being run today. I’m much more excited about the Ryder, Rawson, Guineas, Manion Cup & Galaxy

The GS itself I can just never get enthusiastic about. They’re a bunch of 2yo’s who’ve only had a few starts racing for over $3m, just seems like hype over substance.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2019 at 6:16am
Because I work for this industry and the Golden Slipper changed the face of Australian Racing.  Some would say for the worst.  I don't think so.  Speed is always essential in a thoroughbred.  Golden Slipper speed is now short changed.  They used to then take them over at least a 1600m trip as a three year old.  Too often they don't now.  That could be undermining the standing of the race.  

But I'm off to the races today.  And appart from the Slipper I get to see Winx and The Autumn Sun and wonder if we are seeing the next superstar of the Australian Turf.  No one has stood up yet but lets say Lonhro is having a blinder of a two year old season both as a sire and grandsire.  Do his stock like it wet?  Can Medaglia D'oro do it again?  Will the Snitzel mudlarks both his daughter and grandson come out to play?  Commands is getting a pretty good look in.  The new next generation sires are in there with a terrific chance.  So many questions.  They may be a bunch of two year olds but they are the cream of their crop. 

Every other race you mention get parts of the cream of their generation - but usually just part of.  Because there are so many variables as they get older and distance preferences come into play.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2019 at 6:50am
Thanks for sharing furious, great reply.

Love your enthusiasm for the sport, have a great day out there today 👍
LuthersLuck View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuthersLuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2019 at 7:25am
Really well said Furious.

For me it’s the build up, seeing the field take form from the first two year old races on Epsom Day in October, through to the Silver Slipper, the MM, the various Inglis races, the Blue Diamond, the Black Opal and then the weekly qualifying races as the Autumn carnival builds. As a youngster, even the old Brambles Classic at Kembla and Penfolds Classic at Newcastle would warrant a sneaky listen on the transistor radio at a school.

Then there is the breeding, watching the new sires emerge, often having been fans of the them as racehorses a few years earlier. It would be fascinating to see a first year sire come along and dominate, like in the mid 80’s when the ill fated Adraan came out of nowhere and had about 4 or 5 in the field (Magic Flute, Bataan and Khaaptivaan come to mind), only to be beaten by a one of the last good horses produced by a veteran local sire. It was to be Adraan’s one and only Australian crop from memory.

It’s those two unique factors that put the GS on my list.

Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2019 at 9:48am
As far as the Golden Slipper is concerned I go back to the very first when the great sire Star Kingdom blew them all out of the water winning the first five, very hard to forget moments like that imo, especially the first one Todman.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2019 at 10:43am
No doubt Carioca, looking at the records of some of the early GS winners is fascinating.

Todman, Fine & Dandy, Sky High, etc all went on to have great racing careers and win proper feature races as older horses.

But looking at the last decade of GS winners (apart from Pierro) it’s not a very inspiring honour roll.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2019 at 11:31am
Ya know Lord Hybrow I do go on at times about the "old days" but I've seen the difference in so many ways in regard to training , feeding and the durability of being able to extend the careers of some of the early winners and longevity of their careers makes the memories so easy and that includes the beaten brigade with the likes of Wenona Girl and the odds on favourite that fell and broke his ribs Imagile, the photo of the AJC Derby the following year was worth a thousand words, the only reason Tulloch didn't start in the Slipper was because the sire had to be nominated and alas Khorosan (spelling) was not and there was no second way to get in like today. cheers mate.
ChrisB View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2019 at 12:28pm
Yes i must admit I've never got that excited about the Golden Slipper either.

But some excellent replies here to justify, great discussion
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12