Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

2019 Coolmore Classic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2019 Coolmore Classic
    Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 8:49pm
I have just seen the noms for this race and I was just wondering what everyone thought about Pohutukawa making the field.

Down on 50 kilos, and with 31 noms she is in a some trouble!
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
mikey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 10:02pm
Looking more likely to run in The Phar Lap Stakes now.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 12:41am
Just on that Mikey, that race will be a cracker if most of those show up.
Could turn out to be another good form race like last years where Unforgotten (group 1 winner since), defeated Holy Snow and Hiyaam (group 1 winner since)running third.

If Pohutukawa does run there, she would be a good bet with the 54.5 kilos!
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 3:58pm
Okay just on Pohutukawa.

I have seen the nominations for the Keith Nolan Classic, at Kembla on Friday over the 1600m, and this would be a good option if she was to miss out at Rosehill in the group 1.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 10:03pm
So it looks like Pohutukawa is running at Kembla on Friday.

Lets do the summary of the analysis for this race, and by the way it is a very good group of fillies and mares. This week we will do them in saddlecloth order.

No.1 Daysee Doom - 74. Okay effort behind White Moss, but she is trying to do something that no mare has done, win two Coolmores. She can run without my money.
No.2 Dixie Blossoms - 74. Good effort behind Alassio in the Guy Walter, but for mine she is weighted to her best and she has had her chance to win this race before. Top four hope at best for me.
No.3 Savvy Coup - 70. Classy, but for me she needs a fast run 1600m to be able to finish off. Maybe the Coolmore Legacy at Randwick is her race.
No.4 Eckstein - 84. Good effort first up, and she ran well in the Guy Walter. Looks well placed here third up and she has been group 1 competitive before. Way overs.
No.5 Oregons Day - 82. Great win fresh. Comes here in career best form and has improved since her close call last year. Again she looks overs to me @ $13.00.
No.6 Alassio - 76. Form is excellent, but I have a doubt about her past 1400m and she is trying to do something that only one mare has done and that is win the Guy Walter-Coolmore double. Just feel there are better hopes from the last meeting than she is.
No.7 Cool Passion - 80. All three runs this time in have been food and her effort last week was very good. The trouble is where she gets from the gate, but if she can get a soft run during the race she can win.
No.8 Noire - 78. I concede her two runs this prep have been down on her best, but she does go well at Rosehill and she was not far off them in the Guy Walter.
No.9 White Moss - 75. Great effort last start. Drawn to get a lovely run and no reason why she can not win.
No.10 Aloisia - 69. No chance for her!
No.11 I Am Serious - 80. Nice run fresh, but I am just worried where she gets to from that gate.
No.12 Invincible Gem - 70. Can not see her beating the two mares who beat her at Newcastle, so top four best hope for her.
No.13 Princess Posh - 72. Good win last time out but is weighted to her best and the draw means she will need to run a personal best to win here.
No.14 Savatiano - 75. Two good efforts this prep and while I think the barrier makes it hard to win, she can run top four.
No.15 El Dorado Dreaming - 76. Good effort behind two quality fillies last time out. Looks beautifully placed here, and she is a definite winning hope.
No.16 Fiesta - 77. Just forget she ran last start. Good effort fresh and she is a group 1 place getter at 1600m, but this looks an ideal distance for her. The $13.00 looks good value.
No.17 Jamaican Rain - 76. Good win last start in the Mannerism and the form has been franked with Spanish Reef and Naantali filling the quinella last week. I will not be backing her, but she goes in the top four exotics.
No.18 Bella Martini - 77. Her two efforts to my eye, have been that of a mare just finding her fitness. Like her here at the 1500m third up. She has drawn to gain a nice run and get every chance.
No.19 Manicure - 73. Not sure she is good enough. Has had the fitness edge on her rivals last two, and has not been able to win, although the mare that beat her was also fully fit. Only a long shot hope of winning here.
No.20 Moss Trip - 76. Drawn well, gets a beautiful run, nicely weighted, Tommy Berry in good form and second up form is good. Looks good value @ $15.00.
No.21 Mandylion - 74. Now I know I will be tested for drugs here, but if she gets a run, I will be throwing her in all my exotics. Not saying she can win but I thought her sixth in the Guy Walter was good, she has a good second up record and if the predicted rain comes, she will be well suited. She meets I Am Serious 4 kilos better for their meeting in the Angst last spring and there is no way she is a $101.00 chance here, she should be around $41. I can smell a Prince Of Penzance here.
No.22 Mizzy - 73. Better suited in the Phar Lap.
No.23 Qafila - 67. Not here.
No.24 Pohutukawa - 76. She would be right in it if she gained the run, but that looks unlikely.

Okay so after the analysis we see it look this way.

Eckstein - 84
Oregons Day - 82
Cool Passion - 80
I Am Serious - 80
Noire - 78
Fiesta - 77

Any add ins for scratchings are No.1 Bella Martini & No.15 El Doardo Dreaming.       

Recommended Bet: $20 win No.3 Oregons Day
                 $10 each way No.18 Bella Martini
                 $5 each way No.4 Eckstein
Precedent: No.7 Cool Passion

For the exotics we will add White Moss, Jamaican Rain, Moss Trip and if she gets a run Mandylion.

Good luck and lots of success everyone!

Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 8:04am
I’m not too different to you mate.

not in order
Oregon’s Day
Fiesta
Moss Trip
Cool Passion & Mizzy if she gets a run
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 2:15pm
I am at Goulburn and we have had a huge storm for about the last two hours.

If Sydney gets this for a an extended period we will be working with a heavy track.

If the track becomes heavy, Mandylion becomes a $21 hope.
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 9:02am
Will be lucky to race today at Rosehill
EAD
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 9:08am
Are the Randwick overlords trying to kill off the Coolmore Classic? It's been on 600k for 15 years.Shocked
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 9:24am
Aiming to make the QOTT the msin mares race now they've pinched it.
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 9:52am
I’d love to see both the Coolmore Classic & QOTT reduced in prizemoney and downgraded back to G2 status.

In my opinion, Sex-restricted races at open age should not be G1 races. The mares should be forced to earn their G1 in open sex races, rather than being allowed to do this in soft restricted G1’s.

If they stripped $200k off today’s Coolmore Classic, they’d get exactly the same field & be able to re-allocate that prizemoney to proper races like the Ajax Stks, Sky High Stks & the Maurice McCarten Stks.

TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 10:47am
With the amount of ridiculous money being thrown around these days in racing, no Group race needs to be downgraded in prize money
EAD
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 10:56am
Originally posted by Lord Hybrow Lord Hybrow wrote:

I’d love to see both the Coolmore Classic & QOTT reduced in prizemoney and downgraded back to G2 status.

In my opinion, Sex-restricted races at open age should not be G1 races. The mares should be forced to earn their G1 in open sex races, rather than being allowed to do this in soft restricted G1’s.

If they stripped $200k off today’s Coolmore Classic, they’d get exactly the same field & be able to re-allocate that prizemoney to proper races like the Ajax Stks, Sky High Stks & the Maurice McCarten Stks.

Why should we have so many group 1s for 3 year old fillies ?

I have no problem with the fillies and mares not competing with the males. I would prefer it if when they do take on the males they do so on level weights.

If it was up to me the Queensland Oaks and Derby would be opened up the older horses. Same with the Adelaide 3 year old "classics".

I have no problem with the mares sticking to themselves and racing for group 1 prizes.

reductio ad absurdum
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 11:24am
I believe there's only eight Gp 1 races for 3yo fillies on the Australian calendar.That includes four Oaks races.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 11:26am
Fillies races don't interest me but I have noticed over the years that plenty here are very keen on them, even Oaks for chrissakes.Shocked
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 11:31am
I agree djebel, to many G1s just for fillies, the mares situation isn't as bad, QOTT and the Empire Rose work as the Spring and Autumn mares championships, the Adelaide race for the sprinting mares, this race has its place as does the Winter Stakes although if any were to go it would be one of these two.

Love the idea of the Qld Derby and Oaks opening up to older horses, could give the carnival a point of difference from other carnivals if both went to open WFA at 2400m.
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

I believe there's only eight Gp 1 races for 3yo fillies on the Australian calendar.That includes four Oaks races.

Qld, Aus, Vic and SA Oaks, Flight and Surround Stakes, Thousand Guineas and Storm Queen.

Yet older stayers have omly the Melbourne, Sydney and Caulfield Cups, Metropolitan Hcp and Tancred Stakes at the top level, and some wonder why stayers are not popular with owners.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 11:35am

4 Oaks races and zero for Mares at 2400m and off the top of my head none at 2000m either. They are all in the 1200-1600 range.

8 is quite a lot for a single country and there is nothing stopping them going over the NZ for their Oaks.

reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 11:40am
Only my view, but I really don't think there should be any open age G1's that are sex restricted.   All these races should be nothing more than G2 lead ups or consolations to the "main show".

The CC & QOTT should be G2 lead ups to the Doncaster Hcp
The Sangster a G2 lead up to the Goodwood Hcp
Tatts Tiara is a G2 consolation to the Stradbroke Hcp
Empire Rose being on the same day as the Cantala Stks make no sense at all

All the abovementioned races do is give F&M's a soft option to get a G1 in the breeding catalogue, when this honor should really be earned in open class against all-comers.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 11:46am
I could go along with that provided we got rid of age restricted group 1s as well.

reductio ad absurdum
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 11:50am

Eight, plus all of the guineas & derbies that they remain eligible for.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 11:53am
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

I could go along with that provided we got rid of age restricted group 1s as well.

I wouldn’t be adverse to that, to a degree. Let’s face the facts that all Derby & Oaks fields around the country have very, very long tails. It’s a bit radical (& will never happen) but why not merge the races and have a super high quality 3yo race full of the best staying colts vs the best staying fillies. Merge the Caulfield Guineas & 1000 Guineas too.
TOLEDO View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TOLEDO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 1:56pm
Eckstein from Princess Posh, Noire and El Dorado Dreaming. Good luck
ChrisB View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 2:14pm
Fiesta an excellent bet for mine
ChrisB View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 4:57pm
Track is a joke.

Ruined what should be good races.

Might as well chuck form out the window.

Well done Dixie Blossoms who clearly handled the poor track.
jacko1 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacko1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 4:58pm
Yeah downgrade this race. Last decade it deserved to be G1 and had some genuine G1 mares winning it but it's declined a lot. 
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 5:02pm
What a mare! Gee she's been good to me & trainer? 6 Coolmores now Clap Clap Clap
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
crooked_gambler View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 5:06pm
Great race for Ronnie.
Should rename it after him
This space has been intentionally left blank
ChrisB View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ChrisB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 5:07pm
Well done Gay.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by ChrisB ChrisB wrote:

Track is a joke.  Ruined what should be good races.  Might as well chuck form out the window.  Well done Dixie Blossoms who clearly handled the poor track.

What exactly do you expect of the track after its inundation of rain?  Confused
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>