Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

2019 Black Caviar Lightning Stakes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 10:21pm
I want to see people's honest thoughts here....how will the 2 yr old perform - a genuine chance of winning?? Or making up the numbers??
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by Jamal Jamal wrote:

I want to see people's honest thoughts here....how will the 2 yr old perform - a genuine chance of winning?? Or making up the numbers??

NO HOPE ...    Ask yourself ... on a Flem 1000m restricted win in 57.76, a 2 Y/O restricted 2nd Caulfield 1L. 57.28 ( Form hasn't stood up from either races )

Up against older flyers who have won/placed, in many G1's , some tickling Course Records a number of times.. ( We all agree, Nature Strip is Vic. best 1000m horse at this time but not running )

I've been wrong twice in life Jamal, but I married them .   
Speediskey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speediskey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 11:40pm
It's just such a light weight you never really know how the horse will react, will obviously be running some pretty slick sectionals in front, but I agree - can't see it finishing within 4-5 lengths, this isn't a vintage Lightning but these horses will be pouring the pressure on from the start practically, think she'll be well and truly fading come the 200.
breeding_above_all View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote breeding_above_all Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 5:41am
She is 0 chance..
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 6:50am
Originally posted by Speediskey Speediskey wrote:

It's just such a light weight you never really know how the horse will react, will obviously be running some pretty slick sectionals in front, but I agree - can't see it finishing within 4-5 lengths, this isn't a vintage Lightning but these horses will be pouring the pressure on from the start practically, think she'll be well and truly fading come the 200.

But is a "light weight"? Because it's a WFA race....she is carrying the correct weight for her she and sex...so is there really an advantage with the so called "light weight"?
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 7:52am

But is a "light weight"? Because it's a WFA race....she is carrying the correct weight for her she and sex...so is there really an advantage with the so called "light weight"?

She has no advantage.

reductio ad absurdum
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 8:12am
I’ve backed the 2yo.
I think she can win
Karl and Susan Kennedy are my heroes
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speediskey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 9:07am

Of course its a light weight - it's ~12kg less than she would carry in the same race against her age group, so compared to her previous races its a low weight. 

If it's an advantage is a completely different question, the WFA scale is completely made up. Not sure if you realise but there isn't a set in nature scale for how much a two year old horse should carry - it's pretty much extreme guess work because so few two year olds run in a WFA race at this time of year so you don't even get feedback if it's anywhere near the right weight. 

Not to mention Australian breeding is so two year old based now our two year olds probably develop much quicker than they did 20 years ago, has the scale been changed to account for this?

VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 11:50am
Just for me.

I do not think she can win, but she can run top four.

The only older horses she has to worry about are Osborne Bulls and In Her Time, and the 3yo's are no world beaters, with Graff the best placed here.

Personally I think she will give them something to chase and it is how much she has left for the last 150m whether she can win.
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 1:41pm
How good is the 2yo? You wouldn't need to be Luskin Star to win this but her form is not leaping off the page at me.
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 1:59pm
If she runs at a genuine clip up front then she will be found out with 150m left to go...maybe even at the 200m mark. So why not make it a sit and sprint and make the backmarkers have a difficult task of chasing her down. Make this "advantage" (if there is one) of 44kg come into play.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 2:07pm
Whereas I believe he only chance of winning or even running a drum is to go flat chat with the aim of getting others out of their comfort zone.

Not in my top seven irrespective of how the race is run.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 2:09pm
That is how Baster rode Clever Zoe in 1993 Jamal.

He went an even pace until the course proper, and then he asked her for her effort and she just got collared by a far superior galloper in Schillaci.

I think the young guy riding her has asked or will ask Baster for advice about how to judge the pace, which will be invaluable.
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 2:19pm
When it comes to G1 WFA races I always come back to the proven WFA performers. In this field thats Osborne Bulls and In Her Time. Neither are really 1000m horses so opens it up a bit more. Might end up with one of the 3yos. Tossing up between Written By and Sunlight.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by Lordy Lordy wrote:

When it comes to G1 WFA races I always come back to the proven WFA performers. In this field thats Osborne Bulls and In Her Time. Neither are really 1000m horses so opens it up a bit more. Might end up with one of the 3yos. Tossing up between Written By and Sunlight.

In other words, you go for who you perceive to be the best horses in the race.

reductio ad absurdum
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 2:52pm
A Lottery, "value" dutch Race & the 2Y/O isn't one of them.

The gigantic class rise is enough for me to feel she needs to find a lot of lengths, to be considered.
Written By will run a race , In Her Time runs "Time" , Sunlight ?

Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Originally posted by Lordy Lordy wrote:

In other words, you go for who you perceive to be the best horses in the race.

Not really. I think Osborne Bulls is the best horse. I don't believe its a suitable race though.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by JudgeHolden JudgeHolden wrote:

Bad news for you SC is that I’ve also had a nibble 26s at DQ. Stunning performance down the straight last day of the Flemington carnival when fresh, drawn to get a similar run here. Sure this is stronger, but it’s not that strong. For interest sake, in a race drained of interest, and quality.

Now $12 fixed Judge, which appears quite extraordinary.  
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 6:25pm
They spruiked her on Get On last night, SC. Or maybe it was just usTongue
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 6:29pm

Not vintage! This is straight out of the winepress, toenails still floating, and into the 4L goon bag.

On Jedastar, not really sure about the WFA scale- how often has it been tested recently wrt 2yos? I can't have her, but maybe this time tomorrow we're arguing it needs to be adjusted.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 8:23pm
Okay this is how I read it from a form analysis point of view.

There are only two horses in the race with a recent 1000m Flemington run is Glenall who ran 2nd to Belwazi in the Kensington. He carried 57.5 and got beaten a quarter of a length in a time of 57.72.

The track record is held by her majesty Black Caviar at 55.42 carrying 56.5kgs.

Miss Rock also ran in the Kensington and got beaten 2.25 lengths carrying 58.5kgs.

Sunlight has had one run at the track and distance for a third.

No other horse in the race except the 2yo, has run the course and distance.

So we see that Glenall meets Miss Rock 3 kilos worse, from the Kensington so on that alone he can not win. Miss Rock is not a 1000m horse and so she can not win. Sunlight is not a 1000m horse, so she can not win, that knocks them all out.

Written By's form is scratchy at best, however he was carrying the penalties and ran well, but not great in the Coolmore after having every hope.

Divine Quality is not a wfa horse so she is eliminated.

Battle Hero is off a long break, his two 1000m runs have been good, but he is up in grade here, although his Rock Magic form ties him in, if he is near peak fitness he could finish top four.

Lean Mean Machine, for me needs a wet track to win at 1000m. His form is okay, but he needs to step out of the 3yo class.

Graff has had the run at open wfa in the Everest and it was a cracking run, coming back from the Golden Rose and also on that bottomless track. His only dry track run was a close 3rd in the Golden Rose after leading at the 200m.

Osborne Bulls Everest run was good but the 1000m is my worry. No problem wfa and no problem down the straight.

In Her Time is the foolproof entrant. Can sit forward, her two wfa runs last spring (forget the Everest) were sensational, and Lees has had her for the full pre-trining and her trials have been good. 1000m is no trouble.

Jedastar. Carried 56 when she ran 57.76 for her debut win at 1000m. Is fully fit. Will be forward and has the ability to kick at the 200m.

Basically the weight is only a factor in what time you think she can run. If she can run a 57.76 with the 56 kilos, then you would think that she could take some off that, if she performs at the same level she did at her debut.

Breaking 56 is not an option for this field so if you have them running somewhere around say 56.4 or 5, then she may be able to shave enough off the 57.76 to finish top four.

If I knew the inside hard up on the fence was the place to be, she would be in the top four raters, however if she has to work to cross the field and get towards the outside, then the last 150m is the problem.    
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speediskey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 10:20pm
Wait why isn't Sunlight a 1000m horse? I feel like she's one of the few 1000m horses in the race? She definitely doesn't want more than 1200 like a lot of these horses.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 10:50pm
Her only two runs at 1000m were not her best effort.

Now I will grant you that her spring fresh run was on a soft track, and she may be better on dry, but if you are saying that that run was her best for the spring, I have to disagree.

The ratings from her two 1000m runs are nowehere near her best ratings, so there for on the ratings, for me shi is better suited at 1200m.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 6:33am
In Her Time is foolproof apart from one thing- she is a renowned non-winner in G1s. She might get away with this though. It's almost as weak as the Galaxy, the only G1 she has won.
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Heavy10 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 7:00am
Prob won't be backing her, but Miss Rock will be going in my exotics at $71, she won't be far away...
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speediskey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 8:11am
Originally posted by VOYAGER VOYAGER wrote:

Her only two runs at 1000m were not her best effort.

Now I will grant you that her spring fresh run was on a soft track, and she may be better on dry, but if you are saying that that run was her best for the spring, I have to disagree.

The ratings from her two 1000m runs are nowehere near her best ratings, so there for on the ratings, for me shi is better suited at 1200m.

Well her first ever start was her being green, she then ran over 900m the start after and was electric.

Her effort against Nature Strip to me was simply an off day. If you look at her pattern and previous races I feel like she's more of a 1000m horse than a 1200 metre horse.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 8:51am
I'm inclined to think this is a very good race today , open with a number of top chances, I came down to two In Her Time and the Bull but the one I'm most respectful of is Graff, the jockey will suit this horse down to the ground , reckon they could be coming from all angles with a hundred to go.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 12:34pm
In Her Time looms larger now that it appears that the inside is best with not many making ground.

My wager on Divine Quality now looking shaky.
Heavy10 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by Heavy10 Heavy10 wrote:

Prob won't be backing her, but Miss Rock will be going in my exotics at $71, she won't be far away...

She ran a cracker at $151..ran 5th, not sure why he was intent on getting wide, could have followed winner
breeding_above_all View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote breeding_above_all Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by breeding_above_all breeding_above_all wrote:

Osbourne bulls is $7
In her Time is 6.50

Zousain looked like the only other big chance but just read 5 days ago he had a setback

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>