Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

AFLW is terrible.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waggamick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AFLW is terrible.
    Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 10:57pm
2 A League games today...12 goals....2 AFLW games....9 goals.
The Dude Abides
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 11:23pm
It’s terrible. The girls have a real crack, but too many of them are imports from other sports- they don’t really know how to play the game. Not being patronising, just like any other sport you do or don’t pick up from a young age.

A lot more girls are coming online now so in a decade or so it will be vastly improved. But atm they’re expanding the comp, with a very limited talent pool. Not a good spectacle.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 1:43am
I agree with all comments.

And it is not just the women there were some absolutely boring as bats@#t afl matches last season.

The most exciting part of the sport is the end to end action, and when you get seven or eight women, piling in like rugby union maul, the ball stops moving.

It will come but will the sponsors and seven stay loyal?
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 8:17am
That’s the problem. The product is poor right now, are people going to hang around until it gets good? I think they should’ve developed more at the state level before rushing in but the AFL is the AFL...anything to keep the brand in the news cycle throughout the season.

Another concern is that Aussie Rules can be quite a dangerous sport, in that contact can come when you least expect it and from different angles. And there is a lot of loose contested ball, especially in the women’s game. Part of learning the game is to learn how to attack the ball but protect yourself at the same time (taken to its extreme, think Joel Selwood). I was at a Crows game this time last year and was wincing- the girls attack on the ball was ferocious, almost like they had something to prove, but with very little instinct for self preservation. It was like watching undersized Jonathon Browns.

It’ll only take one 19 year old girl with her face caved in by an opponent’s knee, and the AFL’s got a PR disaster on their hands.
Mayor View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mayor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 8:45am
Yeah, they seem to get a lot of injuries, relative to the men's comp, I don't know the stats.

I don't have a problem with the scoring rate, as it is still exciting.. two games decided by a point, can't ask for more suspense than that!

But as my son said, it's like watching Under 12's.

However, I can see a future in it.. footy takes time to develop, and anything that promotes our unique game over other football varieties is a good thing.

Mayor
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 9:00am
WBBL and women's cricket generally had few fans a couple of years ago, but as money started rolling in allowing girls to devote more time to the game their skill and fitness levels improved to the point where there are not too many people criticizing it now and it is a very watchable product.
waggamick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waggamick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 9:12am
The big grounds make it look strained.
Lower speed of players and less powerful kicking make transition look ponderous.
Smaller ground...maybe fewer players?
The Dude Abides
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 10:08am
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

WBBL and women's cricket generally had few fans a couple of years ago, but as money started rolling in allowing girls to devote more time to the game their skill and fitness levels improved to the point where there are not too many people criticizing it now and it is a very watchable product.
& how about women's Rugby League PT ? What % of girls want to play Rugby League growing up ? Or Cricket for that matter ? Christ cricket was a bore when I was a kid - gotta be worse these days - to many other things to do. Women's basketball in the States has been around for donkeys years & would be about 100th the popularity of the men (NBA). Unfortunately all Sports administrators are trying to get on the women's bandwagon - embarrassingly so for some. The NRL Dally M's last year were a case in point. Wanted to give the same publicity to the women's game as the mens. Ridiculous. Most women I know could not give a continental about playing sport - let alone watching it. Men do so for the novelty factor. As long as everyone gets a warm fuzzy feeling about it. Plenty of minor commercial stations like 7mate, 7 two, Gem, SBS Viceland & the like these days that will give it air time I suppose. A better question might be how many parents want their daughters playing contact sports. I certainly wouldn't encourage it. Get them into golf, tennis , athletics - traditional sports that wont result in them getting smashed (& you have a chance of making a quid out of as well).
Refer ALP Election Promises
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 10:31am
The simple fact of the matter is that women are not as good as men at sport. They never will be. There is no gender equality in sport. But if you enjoy watching second rate professional sport then go for it.
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 10:35am
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

The simple fact of the matter is that women are not as good as men at sport. They never will be. There is no gender equality in sport. But if you enjoy watching second rate professional sport then go for it.
Nailed it !
Refer ALP Election Promises
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 11:02am
Originally posted by JudgeHolden JudgeHolden wrote:

It’s terrible. The girls have a real crack, but too many of them are imports from other sports- they don’t really know how to play the game. Not being patronising, just like any other sport you do or don’t pick up from a young age.

A lot more girls are coming online now so in a decade or so it will be vastly improved. But atm they’re expanding the comp, with a very limited talent pool. Not a good spectacle.

I have no expectations, given its a new sport.

But I object to the effing big mouthed know it alls that insist that the product is as good or better than the male version, and only sexists will deny this "irrefutable fact"
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 11:11am

I generally agree with you but sometimes you post absolute garbage.
The fact that oneonesit agrees with you confirms that
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 11:14am
It isn't meant to be the same.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 11:17am
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

& how about women's Rugby League PT ? What % of girls want to play Rugby League growing up ? Or Cricket for that matter ? Christ cricket was a bore when I was a kid - gotta be worse these days - to many other things to do. Women's basketball in the States has been around for donkeys years & would be about 100th the popularity of the men (NBA). Unfortunately all Sports administrators are trying to get on the women's bandwagon - embarrassingly so for some. The NRL Dally M's last year were a case in point. Wanted to give the same publicity to the women's game as the mens. Ridiculous. Most women I know could not give a continental about playing sport - let alone watching it. Men do so for the novelty factor. As long as everyone gets a warm fuzzy feeling about it. Plenty of minor commercial stations like 7mate, 7 two, Gem, SBS Viceland & the like these days that will give it air time I suppose. A better question might be how many parents want their daughters playing contact sports. I certainly wouldn't encourage it. Get them into golf, tennis , athletics - traditional sports that wont result in them getting smashed (& you have a chance of making a quid out of as well).

The girls I speak to play it because they love it. It’s an incredibly fun game to play. Watch it eat into participation rates for other sports (particularly netball) in the next decade.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 11:22am
[] & how about women's Rugby League PT ? What % of girls want to play Rugby League growing up ? . [/QUOTE]

nobody is forcing them. why can't they participate in whatever sports they choose, or would you like to ban that ?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 11:24am
I am sure they are shattered that you disapprove of women wanting to go their own way and play what they want to play oneone, but they even vote now. Different world. Women will play want they want to play, with or without tattoos, develop their own product, and it will live or die on the same basis as any other sport, participation, financial support and ratings.
Redemption View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 11:25am
The sport will grow in quality, as there is a demand for it.

If most funding goes towards women being paid well to play it, then the rise of girls playing will increase.

What we will see is Olympic standard sprinters start playing the sport, so many of the women will actually run faster than the mens version.
Along with that, will come the skills, eventually.
But certainly very fast sprinting will be the primary driver of the youth.

I also didnt realise, but men AFL, dont run as fast and far for a game, as I first thought.
Craig Mottram once ran against, I think Richmond players, and he absolutely annihilated their best runners.

The womens version of the game, will indeed improve immensely. Its just evolution, and requires time and patience.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 11:25am

It isn't meant to be the same.

Tell that to the Tennis brigade who pay the same money for about half the play time.

It's a Woman's World.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 11:28am
If running fast could make you a footy any footy success then all Australian track and field sprinters, who are paid in beans, would do it.

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 11:32am
People such as Sally Pearson, or near that quality standard athletically, can run faster than AFL men.
As too the top middle distant female runners, even age under 18, can run faster, for longer, than the mens AFL.
That is a statistical fact.
So what we will see, is a rise and evolution of incredible female athletes, choose AFLW, as their primary sport career.
Its not at all far fetched, to see the possibility of women running even better than men in AFL.

Image result for australian female sprinter youth
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Redemption Redemption wrote:

The sport will grow in quality, as there is a demand for it.

If most funding goes towards women being paid well to play it, then the rise of girls playing will increase.

What we will see is Olympic standard sprinters start playing the sport, so many of the women will actually run faster than the mens version.
Along with that, will come the skills, eventually.
But certainly very fast sprinting will be the primary driver of the youth.

I also didnt realise, but men AFL, dont run as fast and far for a game, as I first thought.
Craig Mottram once ran against, I think Richmond players, and he absolutely annihilated their best runners.

The womens version of the game, will indeed improve immensely. Its just evolution, and requires time and patience.

Why are you surprised  Confused  football players are all round athletes, strength, flexibility, power, endurance,, sprints. They do not train solely for running and are generally 20 % heavier than the ideal weight for running.

It does not take an elite runner like Mottram, even I at my peak was faster than 99% of AFL players at distances over 2 km

But they are far superior all round athletes

Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 11:34am

If running fast could make you a footy any footy success then all Australian track and field sprinters, who are paid in beans, would do it.

so true, Redemption has no idea Shocked
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 11:43am
Steeplechaser, Lacaze. Basic example.
She can beat every single AFL mens player in running.
Many girls aged under 18, are better runners, than the top runners in mens AFL.

Its very very possible, that women can actually play better, faster, and even stronger, than the men.
Dont under-estimate that. its very possible.

You get 36 females on a field, that can run near the standard of Lacaze and Pearson, you have one heck of sport.
Its going to happen.
I wont be at all shocked, if the standard of AFLW, actually exceeds the standard of men.
Heck, its happened in horse racing. The mares are smashing up the men. Winx, Enabled, Almond Eye, etc etc.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 11:45am

People such as Sally Pearson, or near that quality standard athletically, can run faster than AFL men.
As too the top middle distant female runners, even age under 18, can run faster, for longer, than the mens AFL.
That is a statistical fact.
So what we will see, is a rise and evolution of incredible female athletes, choose AFLW, as their primary sport career.
Its not at all far fetched, to see the possibility of women running even better than men in AFL.

Image result for australian female sprinter youth

she does not have the endurance to play AFL
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 11:49am

Its very very possible, that women can actually play better, faster, and even stronger, than the men.

You get 36 females on a field, that can run near the standard of Lacaze and Pearson, you have one heck of sport.
Its going to happen.
I wont be at all shocked, if the standard of AFLW, actually exceeds the standard of men.
Heck, its happened in horse racing. The mares are smashing up the men. Winx, Enabled, Almond Eye, etc etc.

yes and they are so light for running that they lack the strength, power needed to play the game and would no way be able to withstand the physical contact, would be smashed to pieces in the first 15 minutes.  If they put on weight they lose some of that overrated speed that you rabbit on a bout

You really have no idea what is required to play football.

In your world the African runners who weigh  52 kg would be great players LOL
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 11:51am

Its going to happen.

They will be so good that women will demand to play against men, not just in the AFL but in all professional sports. Thumbs Up On that blessed day we will have true gender equality, hallelujah sister.

Simon Cameron

saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 12:14pm
Lacaze's best 3000m steeplechase time is 9 mins 37 seconds.

Mark Blicavs from Geelong has a best of 9mins and 3 seconds.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by saintly96 saintly96 wrote:

He'd be a lot faster if he ran over the lower barriers in womens steeplechase.

Simon Cameron

maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 12:29pm

Am I correct in estimating that 34 seconds, equates to at least 300 Metres.

In Blicays favour.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 1:09pm

Very good times but that solely does not qualify them to play AFL, they have many other elite physical attributes, unlike what some believe
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>