Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Breeding Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Money gouging by the Stud book

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Money gouging by the Stud book
    Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 5:24pm
What a disgrace this mob are. I retired a mare from the stud book 5 years ago. Recently I decided to have her served on more time.

Rang to register her and they inform me I have to pay 5 years worth of fees totalling over 1k.
Why?

“Oh, they are the rules” I’m told.
Why I ask?
They can’t answer that aside from the above.

I asked why I even have to pay to register the mare at all and I’m told it’s because there is admin work which needs to be carried out on horses. I agree, totally

I then asked what admin work had been required for the mare whilst she was retired....the answer was none!!
So they did nothing for 5 years and want to change me for doing nothing

It’s nothing but a money gouging rort by them
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 5:55pm
This is the problem facing saleyards mares who've been lapsed. Some beautifully bred but only the doggers will buy when several hundreds of dollars need to be paid in order to breed from her again.
Yes, I agree, it is money gouging Angry

Edited by Gay3 - 01 Feb 2019 at 5:56pm
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 6:06pm
It really puts people off breeding mares that are lapsed, our friend down the road was offered a very good deal to go to Spirit of Boom, The mare was a good match I believe and the stud really wanted her, but our friend was blown away by the cost of reinstating her, so alas the rest is history, he is kicking himself now.
Hartnell is dominant View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hartnell is dominant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 6:37pm
That is absolutely outrageous.
anabel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anabel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 10:15pm
It’s a rort!

I picked up a beautiful old mare who’d been abandoned at an agistment property. Rang to reinstate her and it cost over $1000 just to put “not served” next to her name for the previous few years. An absolute joke!

And the new cost for foal transfer is yet another money grab. In this day and age when we do the bulk of “paperwork” online, ourselves, it should not be anywhere near that much.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hartnell is dominant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 10:40pm
Maybe the AFP should investigate them whilst they’re on a roll
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 8:33am
I’ll be contacting Barry O’Farrell the head honcho of Racing Australia. Apparently they oversee the stud book
Given the fraud being exposed in the DKW episode I hope he will see the stupidity of the stud books rule and not want to shaft a dozen new owners that I’ve enlisted to race the future foal
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 8:40am
I’d imagine they are the rules,because every tight arse in the land would try and save the $250 any year their mare doesn’t produce a foal.

linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 2:02pm
If they cared about horses’ welfare, especially those rescued, they would waive these fees.
to the victor
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 9:50am
Hi Shrunk,

If your mare has dropped off the register & you get her served by a stallion, what are the ramifications for the offspring?

I'm certain that up until the last few years that the progeny of non-stud book mares & unregistered stallions have raced on our tracks.

Have the rules regarding the progeny of non-stud book mares been changed? Are they no longer allowed to race?

A few non-stud book gallopers to win big races include Tinys Finito, Aquanita, Australasia and Fountaincourt. GS winner Calaway Gal was also from non-studbook family.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 10:12am
Not eligible to race Lord H. NSBs of earlier years have usually been the result of dubious pedigree background on the dams' side.
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 1:08pm
Thanks for confirming that Gay.

I’ve always thought that non stud book mares could make their way into the studbook via the exploits on the track of their progeny. This must have changed.

Kind of sad, though. There was a certain romanticism of seeing some obscurely bred horse of vague origins do well on the track. I’ve even got a few racebooks from Victorian jumps meetings in the 80’s where the pedigree was simply listed as:

[By: Unregistered Stallion X out of: Non-stud book mare]
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 2:32pm
Actually Gay3 this is not the case.  A few bigger country breeders here and in the West dropped some pretty good stock back in the 1900's out of the stud book.  They kept breeding to stud book stallions though and some were got back into the stud book when the stud book went chasing them.  Non stud book mares are usually just throughbreds who haven't been registered.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 2:32pm
but yes the rules have changed you need to be registered now to race
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hartnell is dominant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 2:36pm
$1000 bucks to fill in a form as blank.
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by Hartnell is dominant Hartnell is dominant wrote:

$1000 bucks to fill in a form as blank.

Larceny! No foal no pay in my view
to the victor
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 7:21pm
I’m looking forward to speaking to Barry O’Farrell tomorrow.

Especially in light of the banking royal commission where a major point has seen them condemned for charging “ Fees for no service”

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 6:30pm
Spoke to Mr O'Farrell today and expressed my concerns. I must say it was refreshing to speak to someone with an open mind rather than the wonem who basically told me to piss off as they are the rules.
He'll be getting back to me
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 7:35pm
They can’t just take it as gospel that there’s been no attempt to breed, but there ought to be an option to provide some sort of vet certificate for periods greater than one year.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 8:28pm
Spoke to Mr O'Farrell today and expressed my concerns. I must say it was refreshing to speak to someone with an open mind rather than the women who basically told me to piss off as they are the rules.He'll be getting back to me after he investigates
Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 2:21pm
Try getting a replacement TB ID card. Over $100 😳 At the library they can transfer details and issue a new card for $4.00 🤔😡
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by Sister Dot Sister Dot wrote:

Try getting a replacement TB ID card. Over $100 😳 At the library they can transfer details and issue a new card for $4.00 🤔😡

Especially when they send you the ID card without tracking as part of the registration process
to the victor
Prince of Penzance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 3:52pm
It’s a joke.
One of our ID cards never arrived. They claimed it was posted... had to pay $100 plus $20 for it to be posted registered from one side of Sydney to the other. Arrived after 10 business days.   Hopeless!!!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 4:59pm
PP
I mentioned the banking royal commission to Mr O’Farrel yesterday. He was certainly very aware of the findings in regards to “Fees for no service” situation.
I’m very hopeful of a positive outcome. Perhaps the same will apply to your issues and others
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 12:41pm
Good job pursuing this Shrunk, good luck.
to the victor
Take2 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Take2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 8:39pm
they are all the same organisations that purport to "make things easier for the participant£ etc all they do is skim money from breeders most of whom are not oil sheikhs or the like

change is simply a destination on a journey reached by taking the first step (i said that) lol

www.3rdmillenniumbloodstock.com.au
paddockbasher View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddockbasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 8:50pm
I also brought two mares back in line to breed last season at a cost of approx. $800.
   Pissed at the time, but No Pay-No Play.
   Hobby breeders not respected for what we bring to the industry.
Sullenberger View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sullenberger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by Shrunk in the Wash Shrunk in the Wash wrote:

PP
I mentioned the banking royal commission to Mr O’Farrel yesterday. He was certainly very aware of the findings in regards to “Fees for no service” situation.
I’m very hopeful of a positive outcome. Perhaps the same will apply to your issues and others

Hey Shrunk, been nearly two months since your discussions with Barry, any news on the ‘fees for no service’ .
There won’t be any news, cos Barry jumps as high as Messara and Vlandys ask him to, late fees are money for jam for the stud book, tens of thousands of dollars per year, yes it’s a terrible rort, but if you think Barry is going to fix it , then you are kidding yourself ?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 8:32am
I did a follow up call last week but never heard back. Will be trying again today
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 1:57pm
Where does all that money go ?  Can you ask that too, please Shrunk ?
animals before people.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>