Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Aboriginal Man on "Australia Day"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 10:56am

We must stop celebrating Australia Day on January 26

WARREN MUNDINE
Warren Mundine

For as long as I can remember, indigenous people have referred to January 26 as “Invasion Day”. More recently we’ve also used the term “Survival Day”, to commemorate our achievements and survival of our nations against the odds.

Most indigenous people will never celebrate January 26. That doesn’t mean indigenous people won’t celebrate Australia. Quite the opposite.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/rendezview/we-must-stop-celebrating-australia-day-on-january-26/news-story/36989400b8175992dddc98784358803b?nk=5b1ad0836f2e4a5ceba15b4f0e7c67b0-1549151586

An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 2:02am
Simple solution - change it from the 26th to ... NO SET DAY ... just make it the 4th Monday of January every year - that's when I want my Public Holiday, and I'm sure every Aborigine (with a job) would agree!Thumbs Up
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 6:52am
Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

Simple solution - change it from the 26th to ... NO SET DAY ... just make it the 4th Monday of January every year - that's when I want my Public Holiday, and I'm sure every Aborigine (with a job) would agree!Thumbs Up
The trouble with that is it’s gone from Change the Date to Abolish Australia Day or even Abolish Australia. Doesn’t matter what day we celebrate our national day we’d still be having the exact same argument.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 9:02am
Originally posted by Baguette Baguette wrote:

The trouble with that is it’s gone from Change the Date to Abolish Australia Day or even Abolish Australia. Doesn’t matter what day we celebrate our national day we’d still be having the exact same argument.

Which Aboriginal leaders are saying either of those two things?

Simon Cameron

waggamick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waggamick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 9:31am
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

And that's a major part of the problem...there are no authorised/elected/universally recognised 'aboriginal leaders'...they're all self appointed or head up disparate action groups..throw in media whores, bloggers, Guardian journalists and career funds accruers and there you have it...aboriginal leadership.
They need to establish a political party.

The Dude Abides
Redemption View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 10:04am
[
[/QUOTE]

And that's a major part of the problem...there are no authorised/elected/universally recognised 'aboriginal leaders'...they're all self appointed or head up disparate action groups..throw in media whores, bloggers, Guardian journalists and career funds accruers and there you have it...aboriginal leadership.

[/QUOTE]

Do you feel they should Wagga? Do you feel it would be well received?
What if their political party become the biggest in Australia, the most supported?
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 10:33am
Originally posted by Redemption Redemption wrote:

[

[/QUOTE]

Do you feel they should Wagga? Do you feel it would be well received?
What if their political party become the biggest in Australia, the most supported?
[/QUOTE] Then that’s democracy ! Wagga’s correct in that there are a lot of self appointed “ spokesmen” but no one speaks for the hugely diverse Aboriginal people. If anyone actually cares about the real issues facing real Aboriginal people in the real world we have to get rid of the virtue signalling tokenism that has taken over every discussion on this issue. Every Aboriginal person should be voting at all levels of government and using the voice they have now . And we have to face up to the real issues and not push them under the carpet while screaming “ racism”.
waggamick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waggamick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 10:40am
Yep..definitely establish a political party...centralises their issues/policies...can establish a democratically elected leadership/spokesgroup. Right now they are mixed in with the Greens, Labor and a few other small groups.
 I think it would be well received....hopefully a unified voice( of course there will be the more radical sections within the party)..that will push for practical policies/solutions rather than playing the media centric blame game. Who knows how that would go?

Seriously doubt that it would become the biggest party BUT  the way the Libs and Labor are going internally it could be to the Aboriginal Party's benefit in a Steven Bradbury situation.
The Dude Abides
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 10:46am
How would you feel if they started their own Government, rather than the one in Canberra?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 10:58am
So if you don't have 100% agreement on anything do nothing. The vast majority of Aborigines want Australia Day moved from January 26. They don't want Australia Day abolished.

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 11:05am
Wagga, what if Aboriginals did this?

1; Establish a new Australian Government.

2: Establish a new financial system.

3: Allow Australian citizens to vote in their Government.

4: Allow Australian citizens to represent political parties in their Government

How would you feel? Its very possible. They have been here for 60,000 years.
An entirely alternative new Australian Government, under the Aboriginal flag.
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 11:08am

So if you don't have 100% agreement on anything do nothing. The vast majority of Aborigines want Australia Day moved from January 26. They don't want Australia Day abolished.
Is there any sort of proof of that? I’ve only seen one opinion poll done by the Guardian ( from memory) and it was a narrow majority that wanted the date moved, something like 54% in favour. If there’s others I’d like to see them. The most important question put to Aboriginal people should be Is moving Australia Day the most important issue for you and is it worth losing the support of middle Australia? Because that’s whats happening. The overall opinion polls on Australia Day are overwhelmingly against changing it.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 3:06pm

The inner city activists (who actually answer the polls) are far more invested in this than those in the bush, who seem to celebrate the day as most patriots do. So the stats will be skewed.

It will never change, but the divisive left will raise it every year because they are running out of virtuous causes.
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 3:08pm

Is there any sort of proof of that? I’ve only seen one opinion poll done by the Guardian ( from memory) and it was a narrow majority that wanted the date moved, something like 54% in favour. If there’s others I’d like to see them. The most important question put to Aboriginal people should be Is moving Australia Day the most important issue for you and is it worth losing the support of middle Australia? Because that’s whats happening. The overall opinion polls on Australia Day are overwhelmingly against changing it.
Clap
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by waggamick waggamick wrote:

So that would be NO Aboriginal leader says don't have an Australia Day then.

Simon Cameron

Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 2:03pm
The Aboriginal people I know have no idea what these white triggered RWNJs are on about.
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 3:22pm
I have double checked.  Triple checked even... and it seems I am in agreement with Dr E

Most Australians don't care about the establishment of a prison at the bottom of the world or the dispossession of the originals.  What they care about is a long weekend in high summer, at the end of the school holidays for to do as we please before everyone goes back to work.  

If 26 January falls across the weekend then well and good.  It it doesn't who cares ?  Rename it First Fleet Day and let anyone so inclined celebrate it as they see fit while the rest of us can ignore it in peace.

Now I need a Bex and good lie down.  

Agreeing with Dr.E indeed.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 4:25pm
Grown men don't need a bex when a beer will do crown lager will suffice.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by Tontonan Tontonan wrote:

I have double checked.  Triple checked even... and it seems I am in agreement with Dr E

Most Australians don't care about the establishment of a prison at the bottom of the world or the dispossession of the originals.  What they care about is a long weekend in high summer, at the end of the school holidays for to do as we please before everyone goes back to work.  

If 26 January falls across the weekend then well and good.  It it doesn't who cares ?  Rename it First Fleet Day and let anyone so inclined celebrate it as they see fit while the rest of us can ignore it in peace.

Now I need a Bex and good lie down.  

Agreeing with Dr.E indeed.

My work is done here.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 11:21am
Happy Invasion Day  Thumbs Up 
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 11:45am
And a happy divisive day to you, too.Cry
animals before people.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 3:14pm
Enjoying this public Holiday, but I'm also looking forward to Australia Day!
Image result for Aboriginal celebrates Australia Day

Image result for Jacinta price celebrates Australia Day

Image result for Jacinta price celebrates Australia Day
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 9:39pm
Time to put an end to this day, it is dangerous.

Australia Day reveller chokes to death on a LAMINGTON at an all-you-can-eat competition in a packed pub

• A woman in her 60s has choked to death during a lamington eating competition 
  • The woman was taking part in the contest as part of Australia Day festivities 
  • A witness said bar staff and paramedics tried CPR for over half an hour
  • Do you know the woman? Email adam.mccleery@mailonline.com 

By ADAM MCCLEERY FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7930709/Australia-Day-reveller-dies-choking-death-LAMINGTON.html

Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 9:47pm
.... Gluttony is a sin ....

Thanks4Coming!
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 11:07am
The woman had a seizure had she had them in the past , does choking cause a seizure ? Why would a woman in her sixties even enter a lamination eating contest in the first place ? Once a person reaches their sixties surely they know their own limits.Maybe more will come to light on this unfortunate woman’s passing.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 12:34pm
Very Australian Way to go !!!
But seriously, as Bob says, surely a 60 year old would have more sense.  Thats sort of stuff is for the young ones.
Probably had a pre existing condition .
Sad for her family all the same.
animals before people.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 12:46pm
Lamingtons are overrated. 
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 12:49pm
We finally agree on something Djebel.  Thumbs Up
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 1:09pm
animals before people.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 1:13pm
What do you call an Aboriginal with dandruff?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123