Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Aboriginal Man on "Australia Day"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aboriginal Man on "Australia Day"
    Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 10:32am
Australia Day marks the arrival of the First Fleet in January 1788, commanded by Captain Arthur Phillip. He rowed ashore at Sydney Cove and raised the Union Jack to proclaim British sovereignty. Yep, the day that everyone is so hell bent on defending as Australia Day marks British Rule. It should be called ‘Empire Day’. If you want to celebrate the conquest of an Empire -26 of Jan is the date, but if you want to celebrate the country we call Australia, it’s history and diversity, it’s not just an offensive date to Indigenous people, its offensive to ALL Australians. It’s the wrong date. I don’t celebrate my birthday on the date my mother lost her virginity. Why are we celebrating the arrival of the First Fleet? Most of our ancestors were in chains. Celebrating that day is a bit like celebrating refugees arriving at Manus Island. Claiming a country that other people were already living on and had for over 60 000 years as ‘British’ doesn’t seem very Australian. If anything, it commemorates that we were complicit in Grand Theft Australia - something Thomas Keneally details in his book ‘A Commonwealth of Thieves’. Our nation was settled by the English who incarcerated people for stealing a loaf of bread - but then turned around and stole an entire continent, in front of the people they’d locked up and removed from their lives and families for petty theft. 26 January marks a day of British conquest. They actually arrived in Botany Bay on 24 January and waited on the boat because they were too scared to get off. They sat quivering on the deck terrified of what to them was an inhospitable savage country, wondering just where one day they should pop their stinking toxic oil refinery. Ironically we celebrate Australia Day on the date they found NSW. There was no such thing as Australia back then. 26 January is significant to the English, not I would think to anyone who considers themselves ‘Australian’. I won’t celebrate that. The transportation of convicts and the use of them as slave labour, the dispossession of the Indigenous - that is how European settlement happened in this country. That’s what anchors 26 January. Cruelty, Exploitation and Cultural Annihilation. Americans don’t celebrate their national day marking British occupation - they mark when they got rid of them. July 4 is Independence day when Americans celebrate the time during the American Revolutionary War when 13 colonies of the Kingdom of Great Britain voted to declare themselves independent from the crown forming the USA. Then two days after that on 4 July the Declaration of Independence was signed. That’s the right day to celebrate your ‘country hood’. Unfortunately we were too lazy or p#ssweak to have a revolution to get rid of the British. We politely waited for permission for self governance. ‘Please Sir ? If it is ok with you Sir?’ I guess thats’ why we’ve never adopted that day as ours - because nothing ‘really’ happened. Nothing as thrilling as whacking a flag in a cove and discovering the best real estate in the damn country. It was just a bunch of dudes signing a decree somewhere in Westminster. But that is the day we became an independent nation. When we became the Australia that we live in today - our convict settled, multicultural stolen country. Australia Day should be when we recognise our independence when we had the autonomy to start pulling the threads together. Federation Day happened on 1 January 1901. The British Parliament passed legislation allowing the six Australian colonies to govern in their own right as part of the Commonwealth of Australia. Why isn’t that Australia Day? I guess they should have been thinking about public holidays when that important document was signed. Typical of the English to stuff that up for us too! What were they doing even working on new year’s day! I can just imagine ‘Jolly Good, if they want independence they can bloody well have it on the most inconvenient day of the year’. 1 January ALREADY is a public holiday. And who wants to get ‘Australian’ of the Year nominations sorted over the Xmas period? What if the Aussie flags don’t arrive from China in time? Will there be enough beer? Will people’s liver’s cope with the extra load? Australia Day should be 1 January. Or when we become a Republic. Or just another day. Considering the only cultural activities we’re celebrating are thong throwing and pie eating its a very small but important change in our Nation’s story for Indigenous Australians. It’s not too late to Change the Date and get it right. For every Australian.

TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 10:37am
April 29th
EAD
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 2:45pm
If we Traced the History of every Country in the world , we would find, most have a similar History of previous peoples.

Get on with the LIVING life of to day and enjoy the very short time we have on earth.
Dwelling on the past has bad memories being relived.
Dwelling too much on the future has us being eaten by grubs.
Live for to day and enjoy the super skills of Doc & Co.
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 11:26pm
Joe Hildebrand found the right words earlier today.

But in the decade since (the apology) almost nothing has changed — in fact the annual Closing the Gap report handed down every year since has shown that in many cases the gap has grown wider.

Why? Few people agree but I’m pretty sure if we gave it half as much time and energy as we do the annual Australia Day debate we would soon find out.

Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 11:52pm
Joe Hilderbrand? ... which one is she again?

Seriously, when you are spending $50,000 p.a. per head on the "problem" and nothing is getting better, and in remote communities, children are being raped to death by family members and women are subject to the highest rates domestic abuse in the country, BUT, every census reveals that their numbers increase at an exponential rate, far beyond the national birth rate and the immigration rate, and the biggest voice of protest is not even black, or outside the cocoon of the entitled virtue signaling leftie inner-city Aboriginal identifying SJWs, you have to have a close look at the economics ... who's pocketing all of the money?

I wonder if THEY would be better off, if we rejected their racist claims, gave them nothing, and acknowledged them simply as equals ... they can even keep their "smoking ceremonies", so long as they don't try to "welcome" me to my own country.Thumbs Up
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Redemption View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 9:31am
Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

Seriously, when you are spending $50,000 p.a. per head on the "problem" and nothing is getting better, and in remote communities, children are being raped to death by family members and women are subject to the highest rates domestic abuse in the country, BUT, every census reveals that their numbers increase at an exponential rate, far beyond the national birth rate and the immigration rate, and the biggest voice of protest is not even black, or outside the cocoon of the entitled virtue signaling leftie inner-city Aboriginal identifying SJWs, you have to have a close look at the economics ... who's pocketing all of the money?

I wonder if THEY would be better off, if we rejected their racist claims, gave them nothing, and acknowledged them simply as equals ... they can even keep their "smoking ceremonies", so long as they don't try to "welcome" me to my own country.Thumbs Up

You do realise dont you that "racism" is regarding a race to be statistically pathetic and widely inferior in behaviour?
Whites are superior in behaviour?

Its racism Dr.E. nothing more, nothing less.
and Im a right leaning person.

Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 9:56am
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

If we Traced the History of every Country in the world , we would find, most have a similar History of previous peoples.

Get on with the LIVING life of to day and enjoy the very short time we have on earth.
Dwelling on the past has bad memories being relived.
Dwelling too much on the future has us being eaten by grubs.
Live for to day and enjoy the super skills of Doc & Co.

Hallelujah! Why are so many fixated on pouring fuel on ancient fires? No nations history is without social upheaval, the history of mankind is rort with the overturning of kingdoms in the never ending quest for more land, power or food. What’s done is done.
If as a society we could take a stronger stance to the behaviour of cultures that mistreat their women and children we would be well on the way to improving everyone’s lives? There are so many human rights and grievances now that no one can impose enough limitations on anyone to bring about positive change. And in the meantime many innocents suffer?
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 10:37am
Originally posted by Redemption Redemption wrote:

You do realise dont you that "racism" is regarding a race to be statistically pathetic and widely inferior in behaviour?

If it is factual, how can it be racist?

To ignore the truth would be fraudulent ... and that is what the left, and the authors of "social justice" and "virtue signaling" norms have chosen to do with the word racism ... always be careful of how they choose to interpret words ... because they hate words almost as much as they hate history ... here is some that seems to have escaped the curriculum ...

He (Baneelon) willingly communicated information; sang, danced, and capered: told us all the customs of his country, and all the details of his family economy. Love and war seemed his favourite pursuits; in both of which he had suffered severely.

His head was disfigured by several scars; a spear had passed through his arm, and another through his leg; half of one of his thumbs was carried away; and the mark of a wound appeared on the back of his hand.

The cause and attendant circumstances of all these disasters, except one, he related to us.

“But the wound on the back of your hand, Baneelon! how did you get that?”

He laughed, and owned that it was received in carrying off a lady of another tribe by force. “I was dragging her away: she cried aloud, and stuck her teeth in me.” — “And what did you do then?” “I knocked her down, and beat her till she was insensible, and covered with blood. — Then” ----

http://setis.library.usyd.edu.au/ozlit/pdf/p00044.pdf

Other accounts of this sexual violence against aboriginal women in traditional society are recorded by; noted anthropologist Bronislaw Malinowski, Solicitor/historian Joan Kimm, author Louis Nowra, and author Stephanie Jarrett.

Read the accounts, which I have deemed too graphic for my FB page at the following link. (http://quadrant.org.au/…/20…/05/a-blacked-out-past-part-iii/)

As author Stephanie Jarrett, noted in her introduction to 'Liberating Aboriginal People from Violence' ......

“It is important to acknowledge the link between today’s Aboriginal violence and violent, pre-contact tradition, because until policymakers are honest in their assessment of the causes, Aboriginal people can never be liberated from violence...”

And that should be the goal of every Australian, to liberate Aboriginal women from the appalling rates of sexual violence they suffer, and although it’s not politically correct to say so, peddling myths and falsehoods about the past only makes this goal more difficult to achieve.

https://www.smh.com.au/…/i-don-t-want-to-celebrate-it-today…

I'm not suggesting that the high incidence of brutality that is evident in their culture is inferior, or superior to what is generally accepted as "normal" behaviour. It is however understandable, as their recent ancestors were a typical uncivilized culture engaging in this kind of savagery when the white invasion occurred. Their evolution will obviously take longer unless it is bred out of them.  

Defending it and saying it is racist to even acknowledge it or discuss it or god forbid try to do something about it is far more offensive.
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 10:39am
... of course, the vested interests who are taking advantage of the $50,000 p.a. per head, don't want ANYTHING to change ...Ouch
Isaac soloman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 11:01am
and anyone employed in sectors in anyway "concerned" with indigenous people.

They will be wanting to "protect" their substantial "investments".

Huge industry.

and you only have to shout, whisper "racist"

and watch them backoff.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 11:04am
it could be argued that those involved in the affairs of indigenous welfare 

are applying the "white " policy

by stealth

by not giving meaningful, common sense help.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 11:09am
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 11:49am

Elder backs move to reintroduce tribal law

Peter de Kruijff and Nick ButterlyThe West Australian
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 11:52am

what would you do about it

and what would you call it?

do you know what a snowflake is?
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 1:21pm
a snowflake is white so it must be racist.
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

a snowflake is white so it must be racist.

simple way of looking at it.

referring to this one

Snowflake

Description

Snowflake is a 2010s derogatory slang term for a person, implying that they have an inflated sense of uniqueness, an unwarranted sense of entitlement, or are over-emotional, easily offended, and unable to deal with opposing opinions. Wikipedia
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 2:24pm
Anyone can read online the reports and letters of some of the people on the First Fleet that give eye witness accounts of their landing at Botany Bay and first contact with the local Aboriginals . Everyone had a very good time apparently with the locals being amazed that the British were men but didn’t have beards but were most impressed by the salt beef they were given . Arthur Phillip could have signed a treaty then there if he had no principals and bought the entire continent off the Botany Bay mob for a couple of kegs of salt beef. When the Fleet moved up the coast looking for fresh water and entered Port Jackson they didn’t see any Aboriginals for weeks . It was a funny sort of invasion without a shot fired .
waggamick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waggamick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 3:24pm
The emotive use of language by the 'aboriginal industry' sucks in a lot of easily led adherents looking to validate an imagined survivor's guilt. Rather than take ownership of a problem it is much easier to blame someone else and get them to fix it. Invasion is a loaded term when the inhabitants at the time had no sense of ownership and are quick to remind us, at times of environmental duress, that they were in fact playing a custodial role. At the same time much is made of the low environmental impact of those custodians implying that they wouldn't have taken the opportunity to use Western technologies if they themselves had invented them. A Pocahontas Syndrome Utopia where all men(and women) lived in peaceful co-existence is the fantasy that the aboriginal industry wants us( and aborigines) to believe and is in fact an insult to their coping in a harsh reality. We are fed the desert dwelling nomadic stereotype when in fact the great majority led a semi-sedentary existence on plentiful coasts and riverine locations. I don't use the term indigenous either as its well documented that they migrated here. Each new group was in fact an invasion if thats the term the industry wants to use. We are condemned for destroying their culture when in fact there were many, many cultures that changed or replaced the previous groups that they dominated or assimilated with. We are dished up smoking ceremonies, dancing , dot paintings and didgeridoos as 'their culture' when in essence they are but static remnants  and a very small part of many changing cultures. But the aboriginal industry wants us to believe that there was but one ideal static culture which does no one any favours in a modern world itself trying to cope with dynamic change.
The Dude Abides
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by waggamick waggamick wrote:

The emotive use of language by the 'aboriginal industry' sucks in a lot of easily led adherents looking to validate an imagined survivor's guilt. Rather than take ownership of a problem it is much easier to blame someone else and get them to fix it. Invasion is a loaded term when the inhabitants at the time had no sense of ownership and are quick to remind us, at times of environmental duress, that they were in fact playing a custodial role. At the same time much is made of the low environmental impact of those custodians implying that they wouldn't have taken the opportunity to use Western technologies if they themselves had invented them. A Pocahontas Syndrome Utopia where all men(and women) lived in peaceful co-existence is the fantasy that the aboriginal industry wants us( and aborigines) to believe and is in fact an insult to their coping in a harsh reality. We are fed the desert dwelling nomadic stereotype when in fact the great majority led a semi-sedentary existence on plentiful coasts and riverine locations. I don't use the term indigenous either as its well documented that they migrated here. Each new group was in fact an invasion if thats the term the industry wants to use. We are condemned for destroying their culture when in fact there were many, many cultures that changed or replaced the previous groups that they dominated or assimilated with. We are dished up smoking ceremonies, dancing , dot paintings and didgeridoos as 'their culture' when in essence they are but static remnants  and a very small part of many changing cultures. But the aboriginal industry wants us to believe that there was but one ideal static culture which does no one any favours in a modern world itself trying to cope with dynamic change.

Best thing I've read in here - thank you!Clap
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 7:20am

Wagga, mate, would you like me to point out all the very simplistic "tribal" doings of anglo saxons?

Lets start with "federation square" in melbourne.
Looks like a bloody simplistic building to me. If a bomb hit it, it would slant in another direction, and still look the same.

RSL's are pokies venues.
Went to "war", for pokies??

Should we list the thousands upon thousands of white anglo saxon pedos, that have filled up churches, and tv screens, eg Robert Hughes of Hey Dad?  (this list is endless).

We booted the dude that built the Sydney Opera House, back to his own country, before he even got to see it being finished, and we have since held it as a national treasure.

Dot Paintings?
Have you seen the work by Aboriginal artist, Albert Namatjira??
Nah mate, aboriginals just paint "dots"

Qantas wouldnt even exist, without the fact Aboriginals are the first people to have invented the Flying Wing. Its called a Boomerang.

or how about the millions upon millions of people that have been revived through Resuscitation?
Aboriginals invented that too.

Your post was 100% typical racist garbage and completed UNEDUCATED tripe.

maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 8:09am

Best thing I've read in here - thank you!Clap

Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 8:25am

You have no idea. I did not realise that anybody was still that ignorant. What a relic you are.LOL
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 10:05am
Dont you love the aussie white anglo saxon spin on "invasion"??
It was aboriginals fault for not defending their homeland. LOL

I feel that way when Sudanese dudes enter someones home, bash up their baby, the husband, the wife, and take all their stuff.
They just dont defend their homes well enough. Sudanese people have every right to enter any home they want.
waggamick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waggamick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 10:42am

Wagga, mate, would you like me to point out all the very simplistic "tribal" doings of anglo saxons?

Lets start with "federation square" in melbourne.
Looks like a bloody simplistic building to me. If a bomb hit it, it would slant in another direction, and still look the same.

Since opening in 2002, Fed Square has seen more than 100 million visits and has recently been named the 6th Best Public Square of the World in a list of 10 international icons including Naghsh-e Jahaan Square in Iran and Red Square (Krasnaya ploshchad) in Moscow, Russia.

RSL's are pokies venues.
Went to "war", for pokies??

Victorian RSL..2009 figures but latest I could find without more research but you get the drift: Payments to the community or in kind including volunteer hours last year exceeded $20,000,000. Filed with this submission is a document prepared by the Returned & Services League of Australia (Victorian Branch) setting out the matters in relation to the community benefit performance of all RSL SubBranches within Victoria. RSL Sub-Branches employ approximately 2,500 employees and pay wages and on going costs in relation to such employees of approximately $55,000,000 last year.

Should we list the thousands upon thousands of white anglo saxon pedos, that have filled up churches, and tv screens, eg Robert Hughes of Hey Dad?  (this list is endless).

Relevance? But you'll be happy to know the Australia's most famous alleged pedo is no longer alleged and was found guilty of two counts in december but is still under an Australian gag order.

We booted the dude that built the Sydney Opera House, back to his own country, before he even got to see it being finished, and we have since held it as a national treasure.

Relevance again? But Jorn Utzon was a Dane...neither Angle nor Saxon.

Dot Paintings?
Have you seen the work by Aboriginal artist, Albert Namatjira??
Nah mate, aboriginals just paint "dots"

Yes I live in Canberra and have seen Namatjira's paintings at the National Gallery many times. His Western art-influenced watercolours of the outback departed significantly from the abstract designs and symbols of traditional Aboriginal art, and inspired the Hermannsburg School of painting. As the first prominent Aboriginal artist to work in a western idiom, at the time he was widely regarded as representative of successful assimilation policies.

If you read my post properly youy'll realise that I said we are fed dot paintings as being THE aboriginal culture whereas Namitajira is a prime example of the melding of cultures that I proposed.

Qantas wouldnt even exist, without the fact Aboriginals are the first people to have invented the Flying Wing. Its called a Boomerang.

Not quite..pretty sure it was bird flight that inspired the invention of aircraft.

The Wright brothers have been (justifiably) lauded for their pioneering work on powered aircraft, but they didn’t invent in a vacuum. Indeed, they found considerable inspiration in the work of Otto Lilienthal, a towering figure in the early history of flight, but whose contributions were somewhat overshadowed in subsequent decades by the Wrights’ accomplishments. Lilienthal was without question the greatest of the precursors, and the world owes to him a great debt,” Wilbur Wright "); background-size: 1px 1px; background-position: 0px calc(1em + 1px);">would write in September 1912Lilienthal was a German engineer and a student of aerodynamics. His early ideas for human-powered flight came from birds; of the various gliders he designed, a few even included flapping wings. 

or how about the millions upon millions of people that have been revived through Resuscitation?
Aboriginals invented that too.

No they didn't. In the 19th century, Doctor H. R. Silvester described a method (The Silvester Method) of artificial ventilation in which the patient is laid on their back, and their arms are raised above their head to aid inhalation and then pressed against their chest to aid exhalation.[135] The procedure is repeated sixteen times per minute. This type of artificial ventilation is occasionally seen in films made in the early 20th century.

Your post was 100% typical racist garbage and completed UNEDUCATED tripe.

My many aboriginal friends would get a chuckle from you fallacy filled post. Having worked on NT settlements, coached NT aboriginal sporting teams and lived with aboriginal students for over 5 years I feel that I'm a bit more educated than you to comment..especially going on your random response.
 I'm not a racist..I consider it racist to place a static ancient culture on a pedestal at the expense of the women and children of today who suffer for the ignorance of stereotype anchored do gooders.

[/QUOTE]
The Dude Abides
waggamick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waggamick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 11:25am
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

The emotive use of language by the 'aboriginal industry' sucks in a lot of easily led adherents looking to validate an imagined survivor's guilt. Rather than take ownership of a problem it is much easier to blame someone else and get them to fix it. Invasion is a loaded term when the inhabitants at the time had no sense of ownership and are quick to remind us, at times of environmental duress, that they were in fact playing a custodial role. .

You have no idea. I did not realise that anybody was still that ignorant. What a relic you are.LOL

From Australians Together(By listening to the voices of Indigenous Australians, we help non-Indigenous people learn the true story of our shared history, understand how it’s still having an impact today and imagine new ways to live together more respectfully.):

Connection to Country

For many Indigenous people, land relates to all aspects of existence - culture, spirituality, language, law, family and identity. Rather than owning land, each person belongs to a piece of land which they’re related to through the kinship system. That person is entrusted with the knowledge and responsibility to care for their land, providing a deep sense of identity, purpose and belonging. This intimate knowledge of the land and ways of relating to it are also reflected in language, including many words and concepts that have no English equivalent. This deep relationship between people and the land is often described as ‘connection to Country’.

“The land and the people are one, ‘cause the land is also related,” explains Dhanggal Gurruwiwi, a Galpu Elder from Nhulunbuy in the Northern Territory. “In our kinship system, as a custodian I’m the child of that land,” she says.

The Dude Abides
waggamick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waggamick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 11:36am
OWNERSHIP is a western concept. Aboriginals never 'owned' land...they occupied it...they lived off it..and they relied on a close connection to make the most of what the land offered. 
Different groups arrived from North of the continent, with better technology, strength in numbers or both, and displaced previous occupants...until the next mob came through that fancied their turf.
The English taking up residence was a function of technological change and rather than an 'invasion' it was in fact just another group taking up residence.
English 'culture' demanded that 'ownership' be organised.
Just another group moving in.
Some would have it that we are under threat from SE Asian 'invasion'. That may be the case and would be an invasion in that we have claimed what we consider as ownership.
The Dude Abides
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 11:37am
So does that mean they had no objection to being turfed off it?
waggamick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waggamick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 11:47am

Dont you love the aussie white anglo saxon spin on "invasion"??
It was aboriginals fault for not defending their homeland. LOL

I feel that way when Sudanese dudes enter someones home, bash up their baby, the husband, the wife, and take all their stuff.
They just dont defend their homes well enough. Sudanese people have every right to enter any home they want.

There was sporadic and unorganized resistance by aboriginals but inferior technology saw defeat as inevitable.

Everyone defends their 'homeland' as best they can until it becomes someone else's 'homeland'....as has been the case since the beginning of time...hence the invention of the soldier class and expenditure on weaponry and defence.

Using Sudanese house invasions as a specific example is racist.
House invasions by every ethnic group is well recorded.

The Dude Abides
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 11:47am
Pretty arrogant to assume you know more about Aboriginals than other people Wagga.

Aboriginals live with a core philosophy, "we dont own the land, the land owns us".

Wright Brothers? Birds?
The first flying manmade wing, was indeed the Boomerang.
THEIR influence came from birds thousands of years ago.

And you are simply WRONG about resuscitation.
Similar garbage that we are told Logie Baird invented the television. He didnt.

Australia was invaded, end of story.
As for dot paintings and tribal ceremonies you say we are "served up:", you are referring to Olympics, Football, etc, english royal visits.
WHO is serving it up.

waggamick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waggamick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 11:58am
Originally posted by JudgeHolden JudgeHolden wrote:

So does that mean they had no objection to being turfed off it?

Of course not..anyone would regret being forcibly moved on. I'm sure the group/tribe before them felt the same. You can object to it all you like but it's history. It happened to my ancestors when the Romans turned up in Southern Britain.
 Applying blame(guilt) to generations removed from the original events, in my view, creates division and culpably shifts the focus from current causes of inequality.
Denying women and children safety and educational opportunity through isolation and remoteness in the name of clinging to an ancient Utopian ownership myth is cruel.
The cruelest aspect of all this is that the main drivers behind these myths speak for all aborigines without any authority.

The Dude Abides
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>