Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Stable raids happening now!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 44>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparticus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 9:20am
I'm betting that the RVL penalty is the last of Weirs worries. 
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 9:26am
Geezus. Looks like I’ve missed a fair bit since I was hear last.
Discohips23 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Discohips23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 9:34am
Who was the journalist?

Edited by Gay3 - 05 Feb 2019 at 9:45am
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 9:36am
Seems a lot of trainers are very trusting taking on these horses.

What assurances do they have, are they protected against what might be in their new horses systems ?
reductio ad absurdum
Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 9:40am
Thats total speculation although for the sake of debate, anything in the system of these horses would/should have already cleared swabs.  If subsequent test do turn up positive results to previous unidentified substances then I'd think the current trainer would have a reasonable case to claim innocence.  

Edited by Gay3 - 05 Feb 2019 at 9:46am
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 9:50am
Many of Weirs backed up & won within 7 days but tested clean, so I doubt there'll be any positives unless new trainers are responsible.
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 9:59am
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Seems a lot of trainers are very trusting taking on these horses.

What assurances do they have, are they protected against what might be in their new horses systems ?

Trusting????
They dont care. Theyve got nothing to lose and plenty to gain
Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 10:01am
Originally posted by Docker Docker wrote:

Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

Stop the outrage life goes on the punters will keep punting

So you are saying treating the  horses in a cruel way is OK ????

Well I have worked in an abattoir long ago and seen what happens on farms so a jigger really doesnt concern me getting gelded is nasty alot of people seem more concerned about what happens to animals than humans.

I think it’s fair to say we should care about what happens to both. I agree though that this is being over exaggerated thru the huge media coverage attached to it?
There is much much worse happening to horses in other situations and many other animals too.
No one can refute the fact that racehorses are very carefully managed and cared for all their lives if they find a good home after racing. Many others never get a Chance right from the start or thru neglect because they have no purpose or value.
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 10:07am
while I agree with you Sister Dot, that many other horses in other situations are also suffering in various ways, why does that make it right , the way these have been treated ?
2 wrongs dont make a right ?
and we also know a lot dont find good homes after racing.
but that still doesnt make it right for one group of horses in race stables to be mistreated .
animals before people.
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 10:11am
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

The Weir phenomenon was strange to observe from outside Victoria. It was like a beast that came out of a creek at Woop Woop ate everything in its sight and kept getting larger and larger. My projections show that based on current rate of growth -pre bust- Weir horses were going to win 90% of Victorian races by 2025 from a stable of 6000 horses.Shocked

Pretty similar to Waller in NSW, I would have thought.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 10:17am
I was listening to non-sporting breakfast radio here this morning and they seem to be under the impression (and were sharing this with their audience) that horses were being tasered.

Edited by Gay3 - 05 Feb 2019 at 11:19am
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 10:19am
Originally posted by mc41 mc41 wrote:

There was some good from Darren and that's the re-homing program,hope someone continues with it 👍

Excellent point, proves he actually was playing a prominent role in his horses future welfare. Can all the trainers and owners bagging him out equal that effort?
Life after racing is another big issue
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 10:20am
In other words, PR disaster.
sparticus View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparticus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 10:23am
Looks like his Facebook page has gone. Was copping a fair bit of abuse
Redemption View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 10:25am
I think its time the top trainers got together, David Hayes, Waller, etc etc, and make a formal written pact to keep racing as clean as possible, and to never seek "differential advantage", nor become too big for their own good.

Weir achieving the numbers he did, illegally, it wasnt necessary.
Top trainers and jockeys, seriously need to get together, as a united front, and make a really stern meaningful pact together, and in turn, encourage smaller trainers to thrive.

Essentially, what we are talking about here, is Etiquette.
Good sportsmanship and Etiquette.
Newfound respect and a pact with each other. Lead by example.
So when the Weirs come along, and insiders know that something is going on, they all get together as a united force, and say, "listen, this isnt necessary, we would rather all have slow horses and race fairly".

The captains of the industry, the leading trainers and jockeys, need to voice a strong Commanding role, of etiquette, together as a force.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 10:26am
Originally posted by Sister Dot Sister Dot wrote:

There was some good from Darren and that's the re-homing program,hope someone continues with it 👍

Excellent point, proves he actually was playing a prominent role in his horses future welfare. Can all the trainers and owners bagging him out equal that effort?

I’ve always thought that a bit weird, with the outrage in here and certain quarters with regards to this and things like cobalt. We breed about 30,000 of these animals a year, apparently. For a few short years they’re flogged around racetracks as wagering tools. What happens after for many, particularly the slow ones, probably doesn’t really bear thinking about. Some perspective, please.
roland View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote roland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 10:31am
As a small owner in YYY who was with Darren (he was moved friday arvo last week to waller), I just feel incredibly sad for all the innocent staff and businesses associated with forest lodge that have now been caught up in all this. Sadly, I don't think this is the end, indeed far from it. 
From my perspective as an owner, you would hope your horse has been trained hard but fairly and not subjected to any form of cruelty. Sad few days in racing that's for sure. 
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 10:36am
Originally posted by JudgeHolden JudgeHolden wrote:

Well I have worked in an abattoir long ago and seen what happens on farms so a jigger really doesnt concern me getting gelded is nasty alot of people seem more concerned about what happens to animals than humans.

I would never like to think of any animal, & esp a horse being mistreated. But you have to live in the real world. They were unable to stop greyhound racing, even though we all saw the abject cruelty both to the dogs and the innocent animals used to ‘blood’ them. Why do it? Because if they don’t the dogs aren’t all on the same playing field. Some dogs are trying harder than others. Similar concept here unfortunately?
I suppose I was saying that it’s prob unstoppable, but it’s not the worst thing that can happen.
Tasers are being quoted, but they totally incapacitate a human. Different device. Jiggers would have a much lower voltage?
I say get rid of live baiting and jiggers and drugs. But can we??

I think it’s fair to say we should care about what happens to both. I agree though that this is being over exaggerated thru the huge media coverage attached to it?
There is much much worse happening to horses in other situations and many other animals too.
No one can refute the fact that racehorses are very carefully managed and cared for all their lives if they find a good home after racing. Many others never get a Chance right from the start or thru neglect because they have no purpose or value.

I was listeneing to non-sporting breakfast radio here this morning and they seem to be under the impression (and were sharing this with their audience) that horses were being tasered.
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 10:38am
There sure is a lot to think about 😕
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 10:45am

I was listeneing to non-sporting breakfast radio here this morning and they seem to be under the impression (and were sharing this with their audience) that horses were being tasered.

Taser was simply the term they used for the benefit of non racing people to comprehend what a jigger was. Was explained in the police interview first day. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 10:50am
What a good idea that was...it just seems ironic, after all the bad publicity after the Melbourne Cup.

Authorities: “Let’s have us a raid. We’ll get the Feds and the media can come along and all...”

Three hours later: “Look what WE found!!!”

Public: “You people are monsters!!! BAN RACING!!”

Authorities: “W-w-wait, no....”
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 10:52am
Mick Leonard (business manager) also part time trainer has been appointed caretaker by Forest Lodge. RV stewards have approved, meaning that the horses remaining in the stable can continue to be trained and raced.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 10:54am
new caretaker trainer has been announced at Forest Lodge.

In an email to owners seen by The Courier on Tuesday morning, Darren Weir Racing business manager Mick Leonard revealed he had been approved by Racing Victoria stewards to take over the trainer's role in the interim.

Leonard said the person most likely to take over as full-time trainer of the operation is someone of "high regard in the industry".

Below is Leonard's email to owners:

A)     As an interim measure I, Mick Leonard, have been approved by RVL stewards as caretaker trainer for Forest Lodge.

B)      The stables are able to be used whilst we negotiate for a new trainer to take over the Forest Lodge operation. Discussions between Ballarat Turf Club and these trainers are well advanced and we hope for an announcement as soon as possible.

C)      The trainer most likely to take over is a person of high regard in the industry. Naturally, your option to subsequently select a different trainer of your choice is not affected by the interim arrangements.

D)     Any horse in the early and middle stages of its preparation will continue to be trained at Forest Lodge. Our existing staff will care for these horses with the same skill, knowledge and commitment that they have always demonstrated. In the interim we are not allowed to trial or race horses.

This is obviously a period of great duress for the stable and our staff in particular. We would very much appreciate our owners' continued support whilst we arrange the transfer of our premises to the incoming trainer. This support will ensure our staff are employed on an on-going basis, which is a major concern of myself, Darren and Racing Authorities.

Yours sincerely

Mick Leonard
Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 11:11am
Haha. Here it comes. Fully expected,
Gambling has brought our family closer together. We had to move to a smaller house.
Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 11:13am
Smerdon and the Aquacheater team will be over the moon that the spotlight is off them for a while.
Gambling has brought our family closer together. We had to move to a smaller house.
Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 11:16am
Originally posted by Magnolian Khan Magnolian Khan wrote:

new caretaker trainer has been announced at Forest Lodge.

In an email to owners seen by The Courier on Tuesday morning, Darren Weir Racing business manager Mick Leonard revealed he had been approved by Racing Victoria stewards to take over the trainer's role in the interim.

Leonard said the person most likely to take over as full-time trainer of the operation is someone of "high regard in the industry".

Below is Leonard's email to owners:

A)     As an interim measure I, Mick Leonard, have been approved by RVL stewards as caretaker trainer for Forest Lodge.

B)      The stables are able to be used whilst we negotiate for a new trainer to take over the Forest Lodge operation. Discussions between Ballarat Turf Club and these trainers are well advanced and we hope for an announcement as soon as possible.

C)      The trainer most likely to take over is a person of high regard in the industry. Naturally, your option to subsequently select a different trainer of your choice is not affected by the interim arrangements.

D)     Any horse in the early and middle stages of its preparation will continue to be trained at Forest Lodge. Our existing staff will care for these horses with the same skill, knowledge and commitment that they have always demonstrated. In the interim we are not allowed to trial or race horses.

This is obviously a period of great duress for the stable and our staff in particular. We would very much appreciate our owners' continued support whilst we arrange the transfer of our premises to the incoming trainer. This support will ensure our staff are employed on an on-going basis, which is a major concern of myself, Darren and Racing Authorities.

Yours sincerely

Mick Leonard
On face value this looks like a good outcome.
the miz View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the miz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 11:21am
Think I'm missing something here.
So they was surveillance in DKW's stables since August, so when did the stewards know about the jiggers? 
Considering my good pal Llinghi advised in December that everyone in racing knew, why wasn't something done earlier?  Or is it okay to harm animals whilst the feds were investigating?
the miz
v'landwick the king of spin
the miz View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the miz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 11:22am
Also Matt Stewart trying to throw mud at interstate stewards on radio today is just unnecessary.  When will this state v state bs stop & racing administrators grow up?
the miz
v'landwick the king of spin
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 11:23am
Who says the feds are investigating?
Vicpol have said they were only assisting with the raid.
Vicpol have an investigation ongoing but not the feds is my understanding
Karl and Susan Kennedy are my heroes
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 11:25am

I’ve always thought that a bit weird, with the outrage in here and certain quarters with regards to this and things like cobalt. We breed about 30,000 of these animals a year, apparently. For a few short years they’re flogged around racetracks as wagering tools. What happens after for many, particularly the slow ones, probably doesn’t really bear thinking about. Some perspective, please.

This today on Facebook from retired G1 trainer Deirdre Stein (Rising Prince)

I am very disappointed that the thoroughbred owners and breeders admin deletes posts that are put there to make them aware of what is happening to thoroughbreds that some of them might have owned once.

I mentioned the different sale yards and the number of thoroughbreds going to slaughter and in particular, so many young ones. I tried to ask them to send their OTT to retrainers in all states to give these horses a chance of a good home and a happy future. But the admin seems to think it is more important not to let them know what is happening, it might upset some and they don't want to lose members.

I put up this photo of 8yo by Sebring who sold to Maffra on Saturday for slaughter. Now am I doing the wrong thing in posting the truth or are some people (admin) not interested in what happens to the horses after racing?

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 44>