Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Stable raids happening now!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 44>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Discohips23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

Yeah, OK  Disco, but why did you feel the need to have a shot at Mong Khan ??
He didnt say he had thrown his eggs into the DK basket.  Or associated in any way.
He said he is small,,and you said he shouldnt have a trainers licence ???Confused

If MK can’t stand on his/her own two feet and deal with the adversity of the business/industry that they have chosen to be in, then they either aren’t good enough at what they do within that industry or should accept fully the highs and lows that go with the Industry. There are plenty of people who think they can open up and run a coffee shop in a competitive industry that can’t.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by linghi11 linghi11 wrote:

Little guy wouldn’t need to supplement his income if racing officials did their jobs and stamped out cheating behemoths, rather than promoting them on their social media platforms and kissing their a$$ at every opportunity

ClapThumbs Up  Thanks for putting it in to words Clap  You have hit the nail on the head and said it so well.  Clap
animals before people.
Discohips23 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Discohips23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 11:36pm

Little guy wouldn’t need to supplement his income if racing officials did their jobs and stamped out cheating behemoths, rather than promoting them on their social media platforms and kissing their a$$ at every opportunity

ClapThumbs Up  Thanks for putting it in to words Clap  You have hit the nail on the head and said it so well.  Clap
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by Discohips23 Discohips23 wrote:

Yeah, OK  Disco, but why did you feel the need to have a shot at Mong Khan ??
He didnt say he had thrown his eggs into the DK basket.  Or associated in any way.
He said he is small,,and you said he shouldnt have a trainers licence ???Confused

If MK can’t stand on his/her own two feet and deal with the adversity of the business/industry that they have chosen to be in, then they either aren’t good enough at what they do within that industry or should accept fully the highs and lows that go with the Industry. There are plenty of people who think they can open up and run a coffee shop in a competitive industry that can’t.

No where did MK say he he cant handle things.  Stand on his feet.  He was just saying. He only has a few .
Why is that a problem for you to grasp ??Confused

animals before people.
Furt View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Furt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 11:43pm

This is the problem with the regulator also being the marketer.
Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 5:23am

Fully agree   
Gambling has brought our family closer together. We had to move to a smaller house.
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 7:04am

Yep well said. Maybe this disaster is big enough to force a shake up of how racing is run. Get rid of the current “ boys club” mentality. Because that’s the big question with this mess. How the heck did it go on for so long?
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 7:57am
It’s a competitive industry. Someone’s always going to rise to the top, and some are going to struggle. Once there, as I said before success breeds success. In resources, and in particular access to the best horses, large stables have a huge advantage in consolidating their success.

People in here now seem to be conflating the issue of cheating with the issue of stable size. Because a large stable got caught cheating. Well, small stables get caught cheating too. Most people just don’t take any notice.
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 8:13am
Correct me if I'm wrong, however was Forest Lodge not the home of the legendary Noel Kelly? I'm sure his float carried that brand.....proudly!.....how would he feel? How bloody sad this is.......
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 8:22am
I don't think Noel ever got caught but then few did back then Wink  I guess times haven't changed much Cry
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 8:29am
Originally posted by JudgeHolden JudgeHolden wrote:

It’s a competitive industry. Someone’s always going to rise to the top, and some are going to struggle. Once there, as I said before success breeds success. In resources, and in particular access to the best horses, large stables have a huge advantage in consolidating their success.

People in here now seem to be conflating the issue of cheating with the issue of stable size. Because a large stable got caught cheating. Well, small stables get caught cheating too. Most people just don’t take any notice.
I agree in principal . I have no problems with the mega stables at all. BUT with these huge stables you start to get into the “ too big to fail” scenario which is a worry. It all comes back to how the sport is administered IMHO. Maybe it’s time to stop the prize money wars and put the money into recruiting top sporting administrators from outside racing to run things.
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 8:30am
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

I don't think Noel ever got caught but then few did back then Wink  I guess times haven't changed much Cry

I reckon you're right, jiggers were about, we all knew that.....in 5 years at Flemington in the 80's I never saw one Stipe at Trackwork....not one, makes you think, if it's a boys club now, back then it was worse.
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 8:32am

The difference is that for a long time the big stables could do no wrong. They were given a free pass time and time again, to continue their rampage.The fact that stables so big have been resorting to cheating after already being loaded up with the best horses and facilities. Their excuse now is they’re too big to fail? Well it’s not a very good excuse and the industry wouldn’t be getting hammered if it didn’t keep putting their eggs in the cheating basket.
And the little guy? He’s watching form reversals and shaking his head at being beaten by another cheat.
to the victor
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 8:41am
Originally posted by Baguette Baguette wrote:

I agree in principal . I have no problems with the mega stables at all. BUT with these huge stables you start to get into the “ too big to fail” scenario which is a worry. It all comes back to how the sport is administered IMHO. Maybe it’s time to stop the prize money wars and put the money into recruiting top sporting administrators from outside racing to run things.

This is a good point re administers, other sports have gone from putting ex playing legends into these roles to putting executive buisness types into the roles, eg David Gallop and Raylene Castle amongst others.
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 8:58am
Originally posted by Afros Afros wrote:

Originally posted by Baguette Baguette wrote:

This is a good point re administers, other sports have gone from putting ex playing legends into these roles to putting executive buisness types into the roles, eg David Gallop and Raylene Castle amongst others.

And what a disaster that's been, first Gallop, who could barely raise a canter, and Castles, the lesser said the better, suffice to say The Wallabies are the shop window.....
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 9:04am
The Waller/Prior/and others incident was to me as bad as this, take out the animal welfare, but then again no, don't take that, the poor bloody animal can't defend himself.......I was sickened by what happened at the behemoth Sydney establishment, and my friends overseas though gaol time was coming for the guilty parties......they and I can't believe what transpired and how the owners didn't go on with it.....it's a sad blight on NSW administration........because in general NSW get's it right, QLD/VIC/SA not so much.
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 9:13am
The Standard reported on Tuesday afternoon that McLean had again got himself in strife with stewards.

The story stated that McLean was caught by RV stewards attempting to move seven of his horses from his Yangery stables to Weir’s facility at Warrnambool racecourse.

RV steward James Hitchcock said McLean did not have permission to put his horses in the on-course stables.

"His stables are registered as Conns Lane, Yangery. No application has been received from McLean and it would have to go to the licensing board and RVL board to be ratified,” Hitchcock said.

"We have advised him to take the seven horses out of the on-course stables."
Karl and Susan Kennedy are my heroes
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 9:19am
Maybe I’ve got this completely wrong but isn’t it possible for someone to be on the board running a racing club while at the same time owning horses and therefore having a business relationship with a trainer? Or own a stud?
sparticus View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparticus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 9:31am
Who called it? 

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/racing/jarrod-mclean-s-grand-national-hurdle-win-a-focus-of-weir-probe-20190205-p50vu3.html

he win of Jarrod McLean's well-backed Cougar Express in last year's Grand National Hurdle – which also featured a drifting Darren Weir runner – has emerged as a key focus of the investigation which has left the career of Australia's most prolific trainer in tatters.

The Herald understands the controversial running of August's 4200-metre jumps marathon at Sandown has been of high interest in the long-running probe, which has also seen Weir charged with three counts of having an electronic shock apparatus on his Ballarat property.

Marathon session: Darren Weir is seen departing Victorian Racing Clubs headquarters after a show-cause hearing.

Marathon session: Darren Weir is seen departing Victorian Racing Club's headquarters after a show-cause hearing.CREDIT:AAP

Weir has not entered a plea to six overall charges and risks a four-year disqualification when he fronts an expedited Racing Appeals and Disciplinary Board hearing in Melbourne on Wednesday.

While most of the attention has been on the animal cruelty aspect of the twin raids on Weir's Ballarat and Warrnambool properties by stewards and Victoria Police, the Herald has been told the Grand National Hurdle raised immediate alarm bells with authorities.

The event was held in the first week of August, the same month police indicated their inquiry into Weir's operation began.

McLean, a trainer in his own right who will fight four charges levelled against him by stewards and runs Weir's Warrnambool base as stable foreman, prepared Cougar Express to win the race.

Weir's Bit Of A Lad ($3.50 out to $4.60) raced in close attendance with Self Sense ($2.05) on speed for the majority of the race before Cougar Express swept to victory in the closing stages over the tiring favourite. Bit Of A Lad wound up in third.

Police pledged to widen their investigation into corrupt betting outcomes when confirming the sweep on Weir-owned properties, but haven't divulged further specifics..

sparticus View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparticus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 9:31am
@gay - sorry, can you fix the above post.  no idea what happened.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 9:50am
Originally posted by Discohips23 Discohips23 wrote:

Originally posted by Magnolian Khan Magnolian Khan wrote:

We are supposed to support each other through the good and bad. Picking on the little guy because they haven’t trained a winner in a little while is just wrong.

They are working as hard as anyone, and that’s not the first time you’ve brought it up tonight.

I suppose you’ll pick on me now, had a trainers license for 2 years and only trained 3 winners.
The game is hard, but I don’t give up.

If you are a full time trainer and need to supplement your income outside the industry (training horses), you shouldn’t have a trainers license.

Bit hypocritical, what is the difference between supplementing your income from outside the industry to being a trainer and supplementing your income by being a stable foreman and co-conspiritor with Weir ?

How many trainers are supplementing their income with jobs elsewhere in the industry ?

reductio ad absurdum
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 9:54am
2 RAD board members have had horses with Weir.
to the victor
Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 9:58am
Disappointing to see the condescending words by DH’s in relation to MK’s training career. Me is obviously a very proficient horseman, loves the industry and has taken the neccesary steps to add another area of expertise to his bow.
Every trainer starts out slow and feels their way through the minefield which is professional training. What a cutthroat field to enter!
No doubt he is learning and improving every day, and working with horses provided by loyal friends, family or clients. I doubt they are the class of material handed over to the big trainers, or even long established trainers with long proven records?
How on earth can you criticise and mock someone like that who is out there putting his time, heart and soul into an industry we all love so much? And he has proved he can train a winner!
🤔 Bad form 👎🏼
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 10:01am
Sorry should have attached that back in the appropriate quote, and spell checked it. But I’m sure u get the gist 😊
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 10:01am

Edited by Gay3 - 06 Feb 2019 at 11:14am
Furt View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Furt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 10:20am
Originally posted by Xavier Xavier wrote:

Originally posted by Sister Dot Sister Dot wrote:

Disappointing to see the condescending words by DH’s in relation to MK’s training career. Me is obviously a very proficient horseman, loves the industry and has taken the neccesary steps to add another area of expertise to his bow.
Every trainer starts out slow and feels their way through the minefield which is professional training. What a cutthroat field to enter!
No doubt he is learning and improving every day, and working with horses provided by loyal friends, family or clients. I doubt they are the class of material handed over to the big trainers, or even long established trainers with long proven records?
How on earth can you criticise and mock someone like that who is out there putting his time, heart and soul into an industry we all love so much? And he has proved he can train a winner!
🤔 Bad form 👎🏼

Terrible form which simply indicates the lack of insight that this bloke has into the way things work.

Not everyone starts with a deep-pocketed fisherman like Tony Muollo, and gets a start at Rosehill from the beginning, like Waller did. Nor does everyone get the opportunity to ride on the coattails of family. It’s very tough working one’s way up from the bottom in this industry, in part due to the attitude displayed above. There are no doubt some ordinary small trainers (as there are ordinary big trainers) but it is very difficult to discern the ability of a trainer or horseman just by looking at stats.
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 10:24am
Well said Furt, what a good and accurate post...Thank you.

Edited by Gay3 - 06 Feb 2019 at 11:15am
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 10:26am
Listen to Furt. Furt is smart. Be like Furt
to the victor
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 10:59am
The 3 jiggers found in Ballarat were located in Weir’s bedroom.
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 11:01am
The Racing Appeals and Disciplinary Board has heard that "jiggers" were found in the master bedroom of Darren Weir's property, as they get set to hand down a penalty for the embattled trainer.

The champion horseman fronted the RAD Board on Wednesday morning, having already decided he would not contest several of the charges laid against him last week.

Those charges included three of possessing jiggers and one of engaging in conduct prejudicial to the image, interests or welfare of racing.

Racing Victoria's senior counsel, Jeff Gleeson QC, argued during the hearing that Weir's possession of an electronic apparatus that could be used to stimulate racehorses' performances had tarnished the image of racing in a way that called for a weighty penalty of four years' disqualification.

There was no claim in the charges that Weir is facing that he used the devices, which were found in the master bedroom of his home at his training facility in Ballarat when police and stewards raided the premises last week.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 44>