Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Stable raids happening now!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 44>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 7:49am
The involvement of AFP is the big thing here. How many times have they ever been involved in a racing inquiry? Presumably Mr Weir’s legal advise was to not contest the charges at the show cause hearing, because anything he said would go into evidence and could be used at any subsequent criminal trial. This is much bigger than jiggers. I feel quite sick about it actually . I keep waiting for the next shoe to drop! Hopefully no other trainers are involved in whatever the AFP are investigating.
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 7:59am
Hopefully if a conviction is recorded [racing] the maximum fine/s are imposed, I hear on a radio station this morning that owners who ran second to Weir are going for compensation.......that's not viable in my opinion, but the industry MUST get some kind of monetary compensation should the outcome justify it!...even by the way of huge fines.
Hartnell is dominant View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hartnell is dominant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 8:01am
Originally posted by Bonjour Bonjour wrote:

Hopefully if a conviction is recorded [racing] the maximum fine/s are imposed, I hear on a radio station this morning that owners who ran second to Weir are going for compensation.......that's not viable in my opinion, but the industry MUST get some kind of monetary compensation should the outcome justify it!...even by the way of huge fines.

How could they prove that Weir’s horse was jigged I highly doubt every single horse was tampered with.
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 8:19am
Yes, that's what I said, never going to happen
Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 8:25am

Probably reached an agreement with stewards on charges and penalty. Happy to cop 4 years and not risk a life ban.
Gambling has brought our family closer together. We had to move to a smaller house.
Discohips23 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Discohips23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 8:26am
Originally posted by Hartnell is dominant Hartnell is dominant wrote:

Originally posted by Discohips23 Discohips23 wrote:

Originally posted by Einstein Einstein wrote:

Things are getting very heated apparently

How do you know?

Guessing no doubt

you keep thinking that

If the meeting went for 10hrs, its hard to imagine that things would have got heated.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hartnell is dominant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 8:28am

I have my sources, so believe what you want
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 8:46am
Any owners leaving horses with McLean have to have their integrity questioned.

reductio ad absurdum
goldey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 8:48am
Maybe a barometer for all this is how the transferred horses perform in the coming weeks and months, surely the Hong Kong methods can be adopted here, if all trainers felt they were on a level playing field they may not resort to methods deemed to be illegal. Maybe the income from the consumption tax could be initially best served setting up a state of the art system of monitoring and horse housing movement and training, no cameras   , no start. Confidence in a product is a desirable outcome for any consumer.The cost would be usurped by the outcome.
monty1 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote monty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 8:48am
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

I agree as he was his main lieutenant and was obviously a major player in this deception!
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 8:49am
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Absolutely ! Imagine the poor bugger walking his horse around the birdcage, wont they cop some...and not their fault.....but guilty by association.....it's how the world works.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 8:51am

Things are getting very heated apparently

How do you know?

Guessing no doubt

you keep thinking that

If the meeting went for 10hrs, its hard to imagine that things would have got heated.

And Weir isn't contesting the charges, only the penalty will be contested.

4 years negotiated down to 2-3 will still bring the police action into overlap, even if it takes a year or three. 
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 8:52am
A suggestion Jarrod, strap the horses yourself, don't subject some poor soul to ridicule, because there are some strong opinion out there and some not so forgiving as the racing police.
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 8:58am
Was Weir buying yearlings at MM and in NZ this year?
monty1 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 8:59am
Originally posted by Baguette Baguette wrote:

Yes in conjunction with John Foote.
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 9:03am
Originally posted by monty1 monty1 wrote:

Originally posted by Baguette Baguette wrote:

Yes in conjunction with John Foote.

AND NZB are well known for extending credit!.......would they, if they had of had a 'tip off'?
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 9:04am
John Foote would be passing bricks now, the vendors might be a little nervous too.
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 9:07am

John Foote would be passing bricks now, the vendors might be a little nervous too.
Yes that’s what I was thinking. Also the studs with stallions that have come through the stable would be concerned as well.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 9:08am

Originally posted by Docker Docker wrote:

Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

Stop the outrage life goes on the punters will keep punting

So you are saying treating the  horses in a cruel way is OK ????

Well I have worked in an abattoir long ago and seen what happens on farms so a jigger really doesnt concern me getting gelded is nasty alot of people seem more concerned about what happens to animals than humans.
Animals deserve to be priority over humans. Humans are pretty much scum.

Are you a vegan?
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Redemption View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 9:19am
The Federal Police would be involved due to some sort of financial reasons.
Monetary gain by fraud, illegal betting activities, most likely international.
The fact they helped set up the investigation, suggests that Darren Weird is looking at jail, not just a ban from racing.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 9:32am
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 9:34am
And here's me thinking Shane didn't have a sense of humour!......unless he cracked the funny that is.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hartnell is dominant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 9:36am
Fifty Stars and Furrion to Hayes Dabernig
Kiwia to Archie Alexander
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 9:41am
It was an in camera meeting.
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 10:11am
There was some good from Darren and that's the re-homing program,hope someone continues with it 👍
Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 10:12am
A bit of speculating here.  Weir will not contest the charges in front of the RAD Board.  That doesn't mean he's admitting guilt and accepting the penalty to be handed down.  Once that process had concluded he might contest it through VCAT, which is the soft underbelly of the racing law enforcement.  Legal wrangling can string that process out indefinitely so may not risk compromising the potential charges being laid by police.

Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 10:18am
I think Weir is much more worried about the criminal case at the moment. Quite rightly to.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 10:47am
Please take your personal grievances off forum all 3 of you Disapprove

All irrelevant rubbish (imo) will be hidden, people have enough trouble keeping up with info as it is!

Edited by Gay3 - 05 Feb 2019 at 10:52am
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 10:49am
The Weir phenomenon was strange to observe from outside Victoria. It was like a beast that came out of a creek at Woop Woop ate everything in its sight and kept getting larger and larger. My projections show that based on current rate of growth -pre bust- Weir horses were going to win 90% of Victorian races by 2025 from a stable of 6000 horses.Shocked
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 11:12am

STRONGER PENALTIES NEEDED

Clean Up Racing Industry says Local Equine

STRONGER PENALTIES NEEDED

CLEAN UP RACING INDUSTRY SAYS LOCAL EQUINE VET

Warrnambool racehorse owner and respected equine veterinarian Dr Michael McCluskey has laid part of the responsibility for the cruelty that goes on within the Thoroughbred racing industry firmly at the feet of the racing administrators.

“The approach by some racing administrators is in my opinion akin to the philosophy of the hierarchy of the Catholic Church where protecting the name of the organisation appears to be more important than the ones within the organisation” said Dr. McCluskey.

“The trifling penalties that are handed out for animal cruelly abuses are a sad indictment on the industry and possibly reflective of lack of decent oversight within the horse racing industry.”

“Someone who repeatedly ‘lights’ up a horse with electricity ought to be banned for life in my opinion. To hand out a ‘wrist slap’ as little as an 24 month suspension is like telling a bank robber we will deduct 20% of what you rob from the bank as your penalty.

The deterrent effect is minuscule as evidenced by recent and past events.

The mere fact that people can repeatedly inflict cruelty on a horse and still return to the industry in a relatively short time frame, which has happened on a number of occasions in the recent past, is a sad blight on Racing Victoria.” “Until the penalties fit the ‘crime’ then these welfare issues will continue to plague the industry.

If Racing Victoria’s CEO Giles Thompson believes the use of electricity to scare horses to run faster is an isolated incident then I would suggest he needs to consider dropping the form guide and sticking to reading Lewis Carroll’s fantasy novel Alice in Wonderland.”

“To have a rule of racing that states possession of an electrical device capable of great cruelty carries no minimum penalty is farcical in the least and in my opinion reflective of how out of touch administrators are in relation to horse welfare.” Dr. McCluskey said his own past dealings with racing administrators highlight how Racing Victoria is more a reactive rather than proactive organisation.

“When I suggested reform about the common use of fraudulent certificates within the industry I was gobsmacked when the Racing Victoria official told me how the leading Victorian trainer at that time was procuring and indirectly facilitating the presentation of fraudulent certificates to Racing Victoria without penalty.

It was only much later after my complaint that the administrators eventually changed the rules to prevent the practice from happening.”

“Ill-informed comments by media presenters also do little to help inform the public about the realities of horse welfare. For a journalist to suggest that using a device capable of delivering thousand of volts of electricity is harmless to a horse is asinine to say the least.

This was followed up with a comment suggesting that this electrical torture method ‘is used to shake and stir racehorses’.”

“I am more than happy to offer to tie that particular journalist up with a horse headstall and zap him multiple times with one of these devices and see whether he feels like he has suffered greatly or has just experienced a mild ‘martini-like effect’.

Some of these devices will cause 1000 kg bulls with extremely thick hides to jump and kick so you can imagine the welfare impact on a flighty, thin skinned young Thoroughbred horse in strange surroundings.” said Dr. McCluskey.

“As Judge Russell Lewis said in 2007 ‘The practice of giving an electric shock to a Thoroughbred is abhorrent’. Why a racing journalist fails to see this is beyond me and in my opinion if Mr Giles fails to publicly call out this comment from the journalist then as the old quote says’ the standard we walk past is the standard we accept’ will be very relevant here.” “Changes to the rules also need to include life bans on people who knowingly allow horses under their control to be subjected to such cruel practices by third parties.”

Copyright ©2019. All rights reserved. ACE Radio Broadcasters, committed to Regional Victoria and Southern NSW.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 44>