Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Stable raids happening now!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 44>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by ChrisB ChrisB wrote:

Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Originally posted by ChrisB ChrisB wrote:

I'm still interested in the AFP part.

Weir is gone horse wise but what else is up?

I don't believe they were involved just to help with Cameras for state police. Thsy can do that themselves.

I believe it was a Federal Police sting operation in August and they were supervising the removal of their own surveillance equipment last week.

Ok interesting. Thanks.

Probably related to the post ^ about why involved to start with (drugs)

ChrisB View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 6:17pm

Thanks mate. I thought Anderson was a bit of a goose in AFL work but spoke quite ok there.

Edited by Gay3 - 04 Feb 2019 at 6:48pm
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 6:20pm
It was just a good overview of the legal/administrative framework of the investigation(s)
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by kavg kavg wrote:

Originally posted by Bonjour Bonjour wrote:

Originally posted by monty1 monty1 wrote:

I seriously cannot believe the amount of people on twitter and Facebook defending Weir and McLean! I didn’t realise we had that many idiots in society.

Oh yeah Monty, they're out there alright.

Disappointing to hear Dean Lester on radio today saying that the 20 odd horses he manages or part owns a are staying until further notice.

He was meeting with Gerry Ryan today so that may change but didn't express any concern about horse welfare.

Yes, I heard those comments as well. A bit disappointing from what I believe is the industry’s best form analysist
It did smell of a bit of arse covering
Paul Hogan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Hogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 6:31pm

Originally posted by Shrunk in the Wash Shrunk in the Wash wrote:

Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

The impact on his totally innocent family must be horrendous! His elderly Mother lost her husband not that long ago & daughters, barely in their teens, if that old, live with their Mother in the Mallee & will have just started the new school term Cry
Of course they'll defend him, it's what families do Thumbs Up

I get that but I also suggest old mum probably knew her son was a "scallywag"Wink

Maybe Weir should have thought about his family before he become one of the biggest cheats and cons in the industry.

Very true Monty!

A lot of fathers would consider the type of industry they are working in, thier behavior, and the potential impact on the family and pull up or get out.

Paul Hogan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Hogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 6:31pm
Their
arthur View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 6:34pm
It’s amazing he actually has a horse in his stable. I have spoken to people who have been in the industry near on 60 years, who have never seena jigger never seen a police raid on a stable or can’t remember a police raid yet people defend him.

He’s had at least 9 positives through his career, Ben Johnson had 3 Lance Armstrong 0 granted he did admit to using but never actually tested positive yet people actually feel bad for this bloke.

He’s a person with a most chequered drug history in racing. He’s been found with numerous illegal devices which only highlight legal activity whilst being investigated over rigging races and telling betting syndicates but not owners. It makes you wonder if some of these people who defend him would be the same if their horses had been hooked for someone else in the stable. A few owners I have met are sure they have been hooked
Discohips23 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Discohips23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 7:18pm

Edited by Gay3 - 04 Feb 2019 at 7:27pm
monty1 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by arthur arthur wrote:

It’s amazing he actually has a horse in his stable. I have spoken to people who have been in the industry near on 60 years, who have never seena jigger never seen a police raid on a stable or can’t remember a police raid yet people defend him.

He’s had at least 9 positives through his career, Ben Johnson had 3 Lance Armstrong 0 granted he did admit to using but never actually tested positive yet people actually feel bad for this bloke.

He’s a person with a most chequered drug history in racing. He’s been found with numerous illegal devices which only highlight legal activity whilst being investigated over rigging races and telling betting syndicates but not owners. It makes you wonder if some of these people who defend him would be the same if their horses had been hooked for someone else in the stable. A few owners I have met are sure they have been hooked

monty1 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by Shrunk in the Wash Shrunk in the Wash wrote:

Originally posted by kavg kavg wrote:

Originally posted by Bonjour Bonjour wrote:

I seriously cannot believe the amount of people on twitter and Facebook defending Weir and McLean! I didn’t realise we had that many idiots in society.

Oh yeah Monty, they're out there alright.

Disappointing to hear Dean Lester on radio today saying that the 20 odd horses he manages or part owns a are staying until further notice.

He was meeting with Gerry Ryan today so that may change but didn't express any concern about horse welfare.

Yes, I heard those comments as well. A bit disappointing from what I believe is the industry’s best form analysist
It did smell of a bit of arse covering

My opinion of Dean Lester has just plummeted! So he has never heard the rumours? He is not concerned about horse welfare! Good one Dean.
Hartnell is dominant View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hartnell is dominant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 8:11pm
Things are getting very heated apparently
VSP. View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VSP. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by Hartnell is dominant Hartnell is dominant wrote:

8 hours, no wonder.
www.snowshoecats.webs.com
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hartnell is dominant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 8:40pm
Sounds like it’s gonna be a few more hours yet.
Einstein View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Einstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 8:44pm

How do you know?
Discohips23 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Discohips23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by Einstein Einstein wrote:

How do you know?

Guessing no doubt
Docker View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Docker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 9:32pm

Yer right..... Saw Weir as a very likeable bloke a Ned Kelly type came from nothing and ended up running a stable of 600 horses he did what it takes and probably over stepped the line.
But if you believe that others havent walked that line before him you live in dreamland and I am talking all of the great trainers no point going there even the jockeys. Was disappointed to hear a trainer who through birthright inherited a large stable carrying on mate just get on with training some winners.
Stop the outrage life goes on the punters will keep punting
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 9:43pm

So you are saying treating the  horses in a cruel way is OK ????
animals before people.
Docker View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Docker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

Well I have worked in an abattoir long ago and seen what happens on farms so a jigger really doesnt concern me getting gelded is nasty alot of people seem more concerned about what happens to animals than humans.
Einstein View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Einstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by Docker Docker wrote:

Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

Well I have worked in an abattoir long ago and seen what happens on farms so a jigger really doesnt concern me getting gelded is nasty alot of people seem more concerned about what happens to animals than humans.
Animals deserve to be priority over humans. Humans are pretty much scum.
Einstein View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Einstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 11:54pm
https://www.racingvictoria.com.au/news/2019-02-05/rv-stewards-report---darren-weir-and-jarrod-mclean-show-cause

Racing Victoria (RV) stewards this morning concluded their hearing into Show Cause Notices issued against licensed trainers Darren Weir and Jarrod McLean on Friday, 1 February 2019.

Mr Weir and Mr McLean were asked to show cause why the stewards ought not exercise their powers pursuant to Australian Rule of Racing (AR) 8(z) pending the hearing and determination of charges issued against them by RV stewards on 1 February also. The charges are to be heard on a date to be fixed by the Racing Appeals and Disciplinary Board.

The hearing opened on 1 February via teleconference where Mr Weir and Mr McLean were represented by their legal representative who made submissions on their behalf. Mr Weir and Mr McLean, accompanied by legal representatives, attended the resumption of the hearing at RV yesterday to make further submissions.

Among the submissions, the stewards heard that:

• Mr Weir will not contest the three charges issued against him under AR 175(hh)(ii) for possession of an electric or electronic apparatus capable of affecting the performance of a horse; and the charge issued against him under AR175A for conduct prejudicial to the image, interests or welfare of racing; and

• Mr McLean will be contesting the charge issued against him under AR 175(hh)(ii) for possession of an electric or electronic apparatus capable of affecting the performance of a horse; and the charge issued against him under AR175A for conduct prejudicial to the image, interests or welfare of racing;

The stewards deliberated and determined the following:

Darren Weir

Stewards will now request that the RAD Board hear and determine the charges laid against Mr Weir at the earliest opportunity. While the decision of penalty is ultimately that of the RAD Board, given the severity of the charges stewards will be seeking disqualification for a period of four years. Mr Weir was informed that this was the stewards’ position before he determined not to contest the charges.

Until such time as the hearing and determination of these charges by the RAD Board and pursuant to AR 8(z), the following conditions have been imposed on Mr Weir with effect from midnight on Monday, 4 February 2019:

• that Mr Weir not be permitted to nominate horses for any races or official trials;
• that any horses trained by Mr Weir that have accepted to race be withdrawn by order of the stewards;
• that Mr Weir not be permitted to accept with any horses that he has nominated;
• that any horse currently nominated for a race, but not accepted, must be transferred from Mr Weir to another trainer with the approval of the stewards prior to acceptance time should the owners wish it to compete in the nominated race; and
• that Mr Weir must divest himself of any registered ownership interest in a registered horse, prior to that horse being permitted to accept for any race.

Jarrod McLean

On the basis that Mr McLean will contest the charges, significant conditions have been imposed on his operation until such time as the charges have been heard and determined by the RAD Board including that Mr McLean not be permitted to receive any horses to train that were in the care of Mr Weir as at 30 January 2019.

Subject to the condition stated above, Mr McLean will be permitted to continue to nominate and accept horses for races and official trials.

Tyson Kermond

In light of the communications between RV stewards and the legal representatives of licensed foreperson Tyson Kermond, Mr Weir and Mr McLean, and the information provided on their behalf since charges were issued on 1 February, stewards have determined that the charges for failing to assist the stewards need not be pursued.

Quotes attributable to RV Executive General Manager – Integrity, Jamie Stier

“This is a complex matter and the stewards were determined to be thorough and give due consideration to the submissions made, their legal advice and the ongoing investigations.

“Darren Weir is facing serious charges of possessing three electrical apparatus and conduct prejudicial to the interests or image of racing. He has advised the stewards that he will not contest those charges which have drawn considerable negative publicity to the sport.

“To that end, stewards have requested that the RAD Board expedite the hearing of Mr Weir’s charges at which point they will be seeking a four-year disqualification.

“Until such time as the RAD Board convenes to hear and determine Mr Weir’s charges, the stewards have imposed strict conditions on his licence that ensure he is not permitted to enter or race any horses as a trainer or owner.

“On the basis that Mr McLean advised the stewards that he will contest the charges against him, significant conditions have also been imposed on his operation until such time as the charges have been heard and determined by the RAD Board.

“In reaching these positions on the Show Cause Notices, the stewards note that investigations remain ongoing and that they reserve the right to act upon any new evidence that comes to hand during the course of those investigations.”

Einstein View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Einstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 11:54pm

"given the severity of the charges stewards will be seeking disqualification for a period of four years"

Angry

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hartnell is dominant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 4:26am
Originally posted by Discohips23 Discohips23 wrote:

How do you know?

Guessing no doubt

you keep thinking that

skippy123 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skippy123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 4:41am

<p abp="2385">
"given the severity of the charges <strong abp="2386">stewards will be seeking disqualification for a period of four years"

<p abp="2387"><strong abp="2388">Angry

Amazing Weir is afforded the benefit of knowing what the stewards will be requesting as penalty before deciding which way he’ll plead.... lucky him
arthur View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 5:00am
This is just the start he has been convicted over possession last person got off over posesssioj if criminal charges eventuate or proof of use comes forward it will graduate to life. The stewards have bought themselves some time
Nocturnal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nocturnal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 5:18am

This is just the start he has been convicted over possession last person got off over posesssioj if criminal charges eventuate or proof of use comes forward it will graduate to life. The stewards have bought themselves some time

I agree Arthur , definitely more to play out with AFP
The only problem with backing winners ? You never have enough on....
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 5:40am
To walk away either one of two things have happened, he realises the evidence is compelling, OR, he hasn't been found guilty, realises the evidence is not compelling and has bought himself time to form a defence.....and will emerge at a latter date with Rumpole, Perry Mason, or even the defence attorneys that defended DOB and KAV.
marble View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 5:41am
will any of the stable jocks face charges ? - it seems unbelievable that at least one isn't involved
skippy123 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skippy123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 5:42am
Originally posted by marble marble wrote:

will any of the stable jocks face charges ? - it seems unbelievable that at least one isn't involved

Good question
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 5:44am
I can’t help but think that the jigger “issue” is just a front, an excuse to go after him. There has to be more to this
arthur View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 5:45am
Agree not many “innocent” men cop 4 years just because they are a good bloke. I think he will be financially ruined by this the property at maldon will soon be for sale as will others. The sale of his shares will be very interesting as most are in the business name which means the business will be wound up and assets dispersed and whether a true value is received will be interesting to ascertain.

I think the other area of concern for him is if some stallions get linked to this and represents a commercial loss
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 44>